How Much Do You Save By Building A House?

Looking at houses lately and came a across a really nice house priced at 9.5m baht, 2.25m baht is the land value, so the remaining 7.25m is the house value, all western amenities, recessed ceiling lighting, pool, 3.5 bedrooms (bathroom in all plus jacuzzi in master), pool house,air conditioning in every room. Seperate garage (roof only)

The house is 2 stories and about 300 sq meters in area for the first floor. I know my observations are rough, but about how much would it cost to build something similar to this? and the length of time required?

thanks

KRS1,

Take a look at this thread:

I know it's a long one but the posters showed pictures of completed houses, some with the costs of building. To answer the question that you've posed here is like asking how long a piece of string is. It depends on where you are building, what style, how big, etc. That thread should give you an idea of how much other members have put into construction of their houses. So then just find a similar style house, add the cost of the land, and see how much less it would be than to buy a pre built house. And I believe in Thailand it is cheaper to build yourself. Those are my thoughts.

Not sure you would save much, but you would have the say on what you want, my house in the Village cost about the same as another the same size already built, only I have bathrooms in tiles I wanted and to my design, 2 of my bathrooms are very different than the already built house, [same size but items in a to me better place] same with the downstairs, floor tiles. outside tiles, wall colours, electric points many more + where I wanted them.

I found that I had to drive out to the house every day or the workers would do things they thought best, in the end it was more or less what I wanted, 8 years on is OK but a few items I did not think about at the time, at least with a ready built you can see 100% what the finished house is like, if to your likes then buy it, or have one built like it but with the changes to suit your needs.

People on thai visa often say that it was much cheaper to build than to buy, that seems to really go against common logic, but then again, TIT as they say.

Yes, also wonder about that. I have also seen the opposite. I personally think that the houses in (most) posts stating that it is cheaper are not quite ready yet. There's a lot! of cost coming completing the last 10%

We are very good friends with a thai architect he has had five houses built just completing no. 6 now on 1 plot of land he rents these houses to farang,2 that are around 55m2 cost him 450,000 each another which is about 77 m2 cost him around 800,000 they are really nice places proper western style and they have the build time down to 3 months per house now I think you have to bear in mind there is a price difference thai building for thai and thai building for farang will post some pics later if I have time.

Farang 000999 why do you think it goes against common logic people don't build houses to sell at a loss it is good profit and major business building houses to sell on.

Edited by taninthai

I found that I had to drive out to the house every day or the workers would do things they thought best, in the end it was more or less what I wanted, 8 years on is OK but a few items I did not think about at the time, at least with a ready built you can see 100% what the finished house is like, if to your likes then buy it, or have one built like it but with the changes to suit your needs.

I would second these comments. You gain control but it takes a lot of dammed hard work. Especially when the structure is complete and they get to the house 'finish'. Itr seems Thai builders do what they think is best not what you or the architect designed. My wife went through a spell where she spent an average of 10 hours per day on-site --- she became quite unpopular with the builder. But in the end we got what we wanted.

Cheaper ???? Perhaps but only slightly so.

Peice of mind --- certainly -- but as I said it ain't easy.:)

On paper it looks like you can save by building your own, but in reality dealing with Thai tradesman is a nightmare

If you are extremely lucky and get an honest and reliable builder you are OK, BUT most likely you will get a run of the mill "tradesman" who will promise you the world and then have every excuse why you did not get it

Contractors in the western world are difficult to deal with but when you add to the mix the "thai" way of doing things here it can lead to problems that you can't even anticipate

Sure you can enter into a construction agreement and have a payment schedule for "phases" of construction but just what do you do if Somchai disappears ? Sue him! oops there just went your "savings" and they are all going to want money up front, so how do you get it back when the materials and work you paid for is now being used to complete or finish another "contract"

In a country where the rule of law is a joke, buy what you can see, not what you want to see

Been there, done that, and got the shrunken bank account to prove it

On paper it looks like you can save by building your own, but in reality dealing with Thai tradesman is a nightmare

If you are extremely lucky and get an honest and reliable builder you are OK, BUT most likely you will get a run of the mill "tradesman" who will promise you the world and then have every excuse why you did not get it

Contractors in the western world are difficult to deal with but when you add to the mix the "thai" way of doing things here it can lead to problems that you can't even anticipate

Sure you can enter into a construction agreement and have a payment schedule for "phases" of construction but just what do you do if Somchai disappears ? Sue him! oops there just went your "savings" and they are all going to want money up front, so how do you get it back when the materials and work you paid for is now being used to complete or finish another "contract"

In a country where the rule of law is a joke, buy what you can see, not what you want to see

Been there, done that, and got the shrunken bank account to prove it

+1

We are very good friends with a thai architect he has had five houses built just completing no. 6 now on 1 plot of land he rents these houses to farang,2 that are around 55m2 cost him 450,000 each another which is about 77 m2 cost him around 800,000 they are really nice places proper western style and they have the build time down to 3 months per house now I think you have to bear in mind there is a price difference thai building for thai and thai building for farang will post some pics later if I have time.

Farang 000999 why do you think it goes against common logic people don't build houses to sell at a loss it is good profit and major business building houses to sell on.

Thank you for the info, seems similiar from what i hear.

KRS1,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.thaivisa....gardens-welcome

I know it's a long one but the posters showed pictures of completed houses, some with the costs of building. To answer the question that you've posed here is like asking how long a piece of string is. It depends on where you are building, what style, how big, etc. That thread should give you an idea of how much other members have put into construction of their houses. So then just find a similar style house, add the cost of the land, and see how much less it would be than to buy a pre built house. And I believe in Thailand it is cheaper to build yourself. Those are my thoughts.

Thanks sub.

People on thai visa often say that it was much cheaper to build than to buy, that seems to really go against common logic, but then again, TIT as they say.

The one thing you have missed from your post is location.

I know areas where the land cost 3, 4 or 5 times the price in some new moo baan than the price you can buy the land locally 2 kms down the road, yet more profit for the developers.

The other thing about location, you get to build the house where you want, facing the direction you want, raised to the height you want, etc etc.

In theory a 200s/m house to the same spec costs as much to build on a 50k per rai piece of land as it does on a 50k per t/w piece of land.

Another aspect is the design and spec of your fittings, go to one of these developers, they will not deviate from their plans, you want a larger kitchen, they will build to their plan and tell you to do your own alterations after the house is bought and paid for, its all to do with the building permits.

All these developers will offer a basic house, the costs start racking up when you want to change specs, roof tiles, roof foil, floor tiles, do you want the bog standard cotto tiles or do you want marble/granite, what about doors/windows, do you want the standard supplied cheapo plastic doors or do you want wood or Upvc?

We havent even mentioned the thorny subject of Thai style electrics yet.

None of these developers are selling for cost price, they are all doing it for a profit.

You have three choices, buy a new house on a moo baan, hire a proper construction company to do the build for you, less than buying from a developer, or DIY, get your own plans drawn up and recruit local labour, cheapest option but not for the faint hearted, in fact unless you live here full time and know your way round a building site I wouldnt even consider this option.

The house is 2 stories and about 300 sq meters in area for the first floor. I know my observations are rough, but about how much would it cost to build something similar to this? and the length of time required?

KSR1, it always depends on the quality of finishings that you put into the house as to what the cost would be so you have to take that into account but for a 'normal' western standard that house would cost less than 6 million to build yourself.

Edited by PattayaParent

If you work with a decent developer that will listen to and implement your personal choice of finishing touches on a house, then you will get what you want at probably a lower price than if you had "gone it alone" and certainly none of the stress involved.

I'd actually prefer to do the finishings like baseboards and trim myself, maybe even do the kitchen on my own. Really just need the foundation, main structure built, wired, plumbed and drywalled with windows and doors installed.

Just a thought here, suppose it is a one story house. Is it totally unheard of to get the roof built first, held up with pillars and trusses? I'd like the top of the structure to be an open area with overhead roof. This should serve well to keep it cool and have a recreational area on top. I'd also like to take a shot at laying some concrete block walls myself which aren't load bearing.

Has anyone used flloor planks to construct a wall around the property?

KSR1, it always depends on the quality of finishings that you put into the house as to what the cost would be so you have to take that into account but for a 'normal' western standard that house would cost less than 6 million to build yourself.

Thank you for the info, there is another thread somewhere i just read where the owner built a 300 sq meter house for 1.76 million, but not sure if that is 300 sq meters for both floors or just one.

it's the 'piece of string' issue...I told the wife that we should think about proximity to the school and to the market and she came up with already built side-by-side shop houses that weren't much to look at but that 'had potential' and she also came up with a big lot available near the district cop shop...the first arrangement had 5mins walk to the school and 10mins walk to the market...the cop shop required a drive to both so that one lost...

with the finishing on the shop houses probably would've cost the same as a new build at the cop shop lot with everything in place as nicely as you'ld like and the convenience of having the school and the market nearby the shop houses has no quantifiable value but sure is nice...if I'm bored I can always go down and check the spot value of cabbages and as such am considered to be a 'market denizen'...not bad for a falang...:)

'yo, tutsi!'...'say, blood; how's the little grand daughter doin'?...'tutsi!, tutsi! yew always said that my butt was nicer than yer wife's so whaddaya gonna do about it?'...'hold off doll, there's a time and a place for everything...' as tutsi does his pimp roll down the market aisles...:rolleyes:

Thank you for the info, there is another thread somewhere i just read where the owner built a 300 sq meter house for 1.76 million, but not sure if that is 300 sq meters for both floors or just one.

I can build you a 300 m² house for half that price............................It will have 4 Collomns with a tin roof, 1 entrance door an 2 windows in cheap wood,if you understand what I mean.I will even throw in an extra door at the backside for free.

Every one can build a house for a cheap price,but look what you get.

6000 Baht a sq.m will get you the materials only if you want a decent finish.

If you want quality,which is hard to find in this country,it will come at a price.

I would second these comments. You gain control but it takes a lot of dammed hard work. Especially when the structure is complete and they get to the house 'finish'. Itr seems Thai builders do what they think is best not what you or the architect designed. My wife went through a spell where she spent an average of 10 hours per day on-site --- she became quite unpopular with the builder. But in the end we got what we wanted.

I had a similar experience. I declared from the first day that it had to be built "my way or no way" and the owner of the building company, a good Thai civil engineer, agreed to it. It meant, however, that several workers were sacked along the way since they tried to be too smart. In the end I got what I wanted but it was a battle and I was not very popular with the workers. Actually I couldn't care less what they taught.

I can build you a 300 m² house for half that price............................It will have 4 Collomns with a tin roof, 1 entrance door an 2 windows in cheap wood,if you understand what I mean.I will even throw in an extra door at the backside for free.

Every one can build a house for a cheap price,but look what you get.

6000 Baht a sq.m will get you the materials only if you want a decent finish.

If you want quality,which is hard to find in this country,it will come at a price.

6000 baht a sqm for materials only is a tough one for a 2 storey with concrete top beams and concrete roof tiles on steel structure

OP, IMHO it starts at 12k baht/sqm and then ad on for Thai style roof, quality windows, nice decorations and nice bathrooms, excellent piping (no pvc), excellent electric

I had a similar experience. I declared from the first day that it had to be built "my way or no way" and the owner of the building company, a good Thai civil engineer, agreed to it. It meant, however, that several workers were sacked along the way since they tried to be too smart. In the end I got what I wanted but it was a battle and I was not very popular with the workers. Actually I couldn't care less what they taught.

A couple of mates have build their own house and on both the builders do not even follow the drawings and have had to rip things out and do it again.

A couple of mates have build their own house and on both the builders do not even follow the drawings and have had to rip things out and do it again.

In my case both the owner engineer and his foreman could read the drawings and I had no problems with them. It was more the day labourer that I had to watch like a hawk.

One word: STRESS !

If you are prepared for it, then build your own home.

If not, buy one thats already completed.

I have built a few properties in Asia, and its ALWAYS stressful. What your idea of "workmanship" and the builders, are often poles apart.

If I was building my dream house, then that would be a different matter......I'd be prepared for the stress as I want something unique.

7½m / 300m2 equals 25,000b/m2.

Normally you can build a decent house for around 15-17,000b/m2. It is cheaper up at Isaan, than at the tourist destinations. Costs depends on your choice of finish and decoration, furthermore your building constructor's overhead. You may easily end up at around 25,000b/m2, if you include good quality tile work, nice brand name bathroom hardware, European kitchen, hi-end aircons etc. - higher price if you are building luxury.

In some areas you may save money, building your own house - some times you may see a double-up price for a turn-key project - in other areas you may do a good bargain, especially now, as it seems to be difficult to sell the kind of houses, we normal people can afford to buy.