2012 Chevy Trailblazer

Hi Thailot. I find the economy of the Trailblazer better than MU7 in the highway (130 Kmh/2000rpm with the 6th gear) but MU7 slightly better in the mix drive (2to4th gear up and down in my island roads).

I love the 4 discs and independent rear gears, coming from the land of Ferrari,Maserati and Lamborghini I an not so much in love with the automatic gear. But useful for a quiet drive or in town. Smoother driving and better road holding, a bit noisy (same as MU7) and a little underpowered, but anyway enough for me. I could considerate to chip it...

After 25.000 Km in one year without any problem I can say I'm happy for a bit overpriced purchase...

I like the look and practically all the mechanical upgrades of the Trailblazer but I was reluctant to leave the 'Tried and True' Isuzu 3.0L. sad.png Now, it looks like the long awaited '2014' Mu-7 is going to have the Trailblazer-look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-TDkFHnGhg

(I believe I mentioned earlier?) that at the time I bought my SUV, I upgraded to rear disc brakes and larger 'discs' as well as added a set of Gooru shock absorbers and Yokohama Parada Spec-X performance tires. The ride quality (and stopping performance) greatly improved!

I have to get to a dealership to test drive a Trailblazer so I can get a 'definitive' comparison once and for all. I will be especially looking to feel how much better its 6-speed transmission is compared to the rather antiquated stock transmission I am stuck with! sad.png I hope to report back!

That video is nothing but a series of photoshop mockups...

We're all still left to wonder exactly what the new MU-7 will look like - logic and business sense says it will be a re-styled Trailblazer, but during interviews, Isuzu execs have been trying to make a point of how unique it will be... Chances are the guy responsible for the photoshops isn't tooo far off the mark though.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all still left to wonder exactly what the new MU-7 will look like - logic and business sense says it will be a re-styled Trailblazer, but during interviews, Isuzu execs have been trying to make a point of how unique it will be... Chances are the guy responsible for the photoshops isn't tooo far off the mark though.

Just as with the release of the Trailblazer: We got a preview of the 'Saudi' model which turned out to be the released 'Thai model' version - only dummed-down.

The 'next generation' MU-7 is looking to be a copy of the Thai Trailblazer exterior styling.

The only undecided is whose engine the new Mu-7 will have! It speaks volumes, to me at least, that the powers to be aren't satisfied enough with(?) the Trailblazer's 2.8 diesels to go with them. I wish they would at least keep the Isuzu 3.0L but mate it with a good 6-speed auto transmission. We will all know for sure before too long.

Just as with the release of the Trailblazer: We got a preview of the 'Saudi' model which turned out to be the released 'Thai model' version - only dummed-down.

The 'next generation' MU-7 is looking to be a copy of the Thai Trailblazer exterior styling.

The only undecided is whose engine the new Mu-7 will have! It speaks volumes, to me at least, that the powers to be aren't satisfied enough with(?) the Trailblazer's 2.8 diesels to go with them. I wish they would at least keep the Isuzu 3.0L but mate it with a good 6-speed auto transmission. We will all know for sure before too long.

Actually, the engine we do know - it'll be a 2.5L Twin Turbo (as supplied on EU market DMax's now), but the AT is an unknown..

Note that there was never going to be any collaboration between GM and Isuzu on engines for the current gen Dmax/PPV - so there's nothing to read into that.

Edited by IMHO

Actually, the engine we do know - it'll be a 2.5L Twin Turbo (as supplied on EU market DMax's now), but the AT is an unknown..

Note that there was never going to be any collaboration between GM and Isuzu on engines for the current gen Dmax/PPV - so there's nothing to read into that.

So they chose a 2.5L twin turbo!

Now I wonder if the Trailblazer will stick with its (no vote of no-confidence?) 2.8L because of contractual agreements, etc., giving the public some 'choice' or will they also go with the 2.5 twin turbo? Is there anything out there to suggest how the 2.5 twin turbo performs? It will be interesting to see how it compares 'overall' to the other LOS SUV engines.

Now I wonder if the Trailblazer will stick with its (no vote of no-confidence?) 2.8L because of contractual agreements, etc., giving the public some 'choice' or will they also go with the 2.5 twin turbo? Is there anything out there to suggest how the 2.5 twin turbo performs? It will be interesting to see how it compares 'overall' to the other LOS SUV engines.

As noted, there is not going to be any collaboration between Chev and Isuzu on engines - both will be going their own ways on that. Chev will continue to use their VM Motori designed 2.5 and 2.8, Isuzu will be using updated versions of their tried and true 2.5 design (not the same as the Chev 2.5), and apparently retiring the 3.0

The updated twin-turbo 2.5 performs about the same as the current 3.0, with maybe a touch more noticeable torque. The big gain is in fuel efficiency over the outgoing 3.0

You can read some EU reviews of the 2012-3 Dmax to see what they say about the twin turbo lump...

Edited by IMHO

As noted, there is not going to be any collaboration between Chev and Isuzu on engines - both will be going their own ways on that. Chev will continue to use their VM Motori designed 2.5 and 2.8, Isuzu will be using updated versions of their tried and true 2.5 design (not the same as the Chev 2.5), and apparently retiring the 3.0

The updated twin-turbo 2.5 performs about the same as the current 3.0, with maybe a touch more noticeable torque. The big gain is in fuel efficiency over the outgoing 3.0

You can read some EU reviews of the 2012-3 Dmax to see what they say about the twin turbo lump...

isuzu in norway:

engine 4JK1-TC 2499cc

120 kw/ 163 hp @ 3600rpm

torque 400nm 1400-2000rpm

isuzu in norway:

engine 4JK1-TC 2499cc

120 kw/ 163 hp @ 3600rpm

What are the specs of the Trailblazer's 2.5L and its 2.8L? I'm guessing the 2.8L reaches its max Hp at a lower RPM than the Isuzu 3.0L?

• 1 month later...

The Trailblazer 2.8l is rated at 132kW I put my Trailblazer on a dyno the other day with my chip and I'm getting 148kW. Don't know about the 2.5 apart from the fact I wouldn't have one.

That's good! And now you can know that your chip is working, too!

Which dyno did you use? I am still looking for an Android dyno that is easy for me to setup....

• 3 weeks later...

I want to buy a TB LTZ -color RED- I pay in cash and I want it delivered 2nd week of December.

That's my line when walking into the Chev showrooms in Udon Thani , Nong Bua Lampoo and Sawan Din Daeng.

One should imagine a salesperson working on commission would jump right thru the ceiling to get my business !!!

No so .

I get all kind of flack " Thais don't like RED " " You will not be able to sell a red car " etc etc . Who cares -I want REd - end of story .

Now I hear that RED is only manufactured if there are 50 orders -countrywide -for that color. Could be , but still a bunch of Bull .

Can anyone lead me to a more responsive dealer , please.

I want to buy a TB LTZ -color RED- I pay in cash and I want it delivered 2nd week of December.

That's my line when walking into the Chev showrooms in Udon Thani , Nong Bua Lampoo and Sawan Din Daeng.

One should imagine a salesperson working on commission would jump right thru the ceiling to get my business !!!

No so .

I get all kind of flack " Thais don't like RED " " You will not be able to sell a red car " etc etc . Who cares -I want REd - end of story .

Now I hear that RED is only manufactured if there are 50 orders - countrywide - for that color. Could be, but still a bunch of Bull .

I am with you - a Red Trailblazer would be my color of preference, too!

These kinds of choices are ones personal preferences - the 'one' who is paying their cash for the vehicle.

I would call and/or go to a more customer friendly dealership even if it meant going to Bkk.

No so .

Now I hear that RED is only manufactured if there are 50 orders -countrywide -for that color. Could be , but still a bunch of Bull .

Just order a white one and pay 50-60K to have it resprayed in your favorite shade of red?

isuzu in norway:

engine 4JK1-TC 2499cc

120 kw/ 163 hp @ 3600rpm

Hmm.. that power band certainly seems short and spiky..

I have a Trailblazer LTZ Red for 14 months now.

Delivered in one week at the launch last year (probably nobody want it).

9527064049_2d12532b2f_c.jpg

Ah, in 14 months, 30.000 Km and hundreds of Trailblazer crossed, never seen another red one :-)

PPS: Red is beautiful!

Beautiful indeed, especially with a beige interior! .... nice picturesque photo of your SUV! thumbsup.gif

I have seen about 3 Red Trailblazers out of the dozen or so that have caught my eye.

Edited by thailoht
  • Like 1

How is the resale value of Trailblazers? On Thai used car websites I see 2013 models for $1.5m and 2012 models for under a million??

It's a Chev, so it will depreciate fast, but then slow down. After 5 or 6 years the overall depreciation will be within 5-10% of an A-List brand though.

Trailblazers out, check out the new Jeep Cherokee. That's my ride shortly just as soon as I figure out how to get it here.

Good luck with that - 'The Farangs never-ending import desire of a wet-dream'!

But if you're lucky enough to pull it off, have 2 vehicles shipped, (Burgundy red with beige interior or Black with beige interior), because I would love to own one! laugh.png

Yep, they are getting awesome write-ups in the UK. Perfect for Thailand. Here's an idea, I've been planning a drive from the UK to Thailand. We could both purchase our vehicles in the UK, plan our route (which will be the hardest part) to Thailand and get the vehicles through the boarder with the correct contacts in place. Job done!

Yep, they are getting awesome write-ups in the UK. Perfect for Thailand. Here's an idea, I've been planning a drive from the UK to Thailand. We could both purchase our vehicles in the UK, plan our route (which will be the hardest part) to Thailand and get the vehicles through the boarder with the correct contacts in place. Job done!

Sounds like a plan to me! thumbsup.gifclap2.gif