I Ordered A Delay In The Release Of Water From Dam: Agriculture Minister Theera

webfact

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why let the dams get that full in the first place? Its basic risk management. And why is a politician making decisions about dam water levels at all? This should be done by technical officials who know what the hell they are doing. Political interference is a large part of the problem. This guy should go.

Politicians are involved, because Thailand this year is initiating a massive subsidy for rice that everyone wants a piece of. But instead of them all making huge profits it backfired and they flooded the country

Oh, and BTW, the global price of Rice has been falling since the guarantees were put into place:

post-25601-0-00937600-1320982921_thumb.p

Edited by lannarebirth

So it is all proven now.

Mr. Theera greedy in wanted the 3rd harvest have caused 500+ life, and billion in damage.

Put him on trial, let him be responsible. I think he will to to jail for life, if not excuted immediately.

No offence meant, but may I infer that you are a recent arrival to the LOS ?

Time here means nothing cos an old Aussy member who has lived here for 21 years has been trying to convince me for last hour that Abhisit and the Dems are responsible for this tragedy maybe he would like to carry on the debate here in TV :lol: :lol: Edited by Colin Yai

Politicians are involved, because Thailand this year is initiating a massive subsidy for rice that everyone wants a piece of. But instead of them all making huge profits it backfired and they flooded the country

However we should not neglect the fact that the post flood remedial schemes will of course provide a plethora of opportunities for the entrepreneurial types in the various administrations involved in the rehabilitation of the areas under their control. 'Tis extremely unlikely that the politicians will lose on their investments of any kindwhistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

Completely irrelevant my friend!!!! He IS Thaksin's choice as he thought he could look after his farming business interests in the North - what a costly error this has turned out to be - don't worry though, Thaksin will instruct Yingluck to turf him out as he was negligent ie: he failed..........to save his expensive rice crop. Oh yeh!! nearly forgot, he flooded a third of the country as well which resulted in over 500 people losing their lives and milions their homes and jobs!!!:jap:. This is just of secondary concern though as just look at how much money it has cost Khun T, disgraceful act!!!!

You really think Mr. T cares about his rice now ?

Billions to be made in rebuilding all the flood has wiped out.

Mr Ag. Minister is officially Mr. Ts hero now.

Why be so harsh in judgement. If he had let water release from dams - and it turned out to be a dry latter part of the monsoon, then he would be blamed not storing enough water for the 2nd or 3rd rice crop.

Why be harsh? Take a look around! The water was not released because of the PTP rice scheme pure and simple. Being blame for a drought is quite different that what is going on at the present. Thailand is in for a very long recovery which will be mismanaged like the flooding.

Doesn't the Nation have any journalists that can write a coherent article? It seems like the two journalists in this case wrote every second paragraph with out knowing what the previous paragraph said.

The key questions that weren't asked (or weren't reported): When did he order it? Did he make the decision on his own? I assume he was the one that said "I will take responsibility".

As far as the the meteorological department only being able to forecast a week in advance, even I had a pretty good idea 2 weeks before hand that the tropical storms were going to cause a lot of rain in the North and North East. There are websites that track and predict tropical storms and it was quite clear that these ones could affect Thailand as soon as they started forming near the Philippines. Even with a weeks notice they could have started releasing some water before the storms actually hit Thailand.

To use the words Nation and Journalists in the same sentence is to defy reality. Most broadcast reporters here are females that bob their heads and coo "caaa, caaaa," without ever asking a pertinent question and then have the audacity to call it an interview. One must assume that the print reporters do the same. It's probably from the training they receive in school not to question so as not to cause anybody to lose face. If you ever wanted obedient masses marching to the official mantra that is how to implement it.

caaa

Furthermore, the Ag. guy has control of the dams?

That's what I was going to ask also.... Really???

If that's true, it shouldn't be. But I wonder if in fact it's true.

Just lends more credence to the notion that this guy's being thrown out as a scapegoat.

From the other accounts I've been reading, Thais seem to think certain elected MP politicians are the ones in reality who say what happens at certain dams -- whether that's the way the government structure is set up on paper or not.

Completely irrelevant my friend!!!! He IS Thaksin's choice as he thought he could look after his farming business interests in the North - what a costly error this has turned out to be - don't worry though, Thaksin will instruct Yingluck to turf him out as he was negligent ie: he failed..........to save his expensive rice crop. Oh yeh!! nearly forgot, he flooded a third of the country as well which resulted in over 500 people losing their lives and milions their homes and jobs!!!:jap:. This is just of secondary concern though as just look at how much money it has cost Khun T, disgraceful act!!!!

Knowing how Thaksin operates, I imagine he has been holding huge long / short positions in Rice contracts in global commodities markets. There's a lot of money to be made when you are making the policy yourself. He won't be leaving it down to whether or not it rains or not for his profits.

And what if the water had been released, the rice crop destroyed and the following weeks, the rain had stopped? I know what the sentiment would be. the same ignorant loathesome calls for the minister's suicide and jailing. Grow up.

Its a big mistake and with huge consequence. The whole government should step down, or the guy should be held personal responsible.

They are paid good (or steal good) so if they make mistakes they should pay for it too. The is a reason that people like that earn more money. That is because they have more responsibility. This is like saying sorry but i wont quit or feel responsible.

Must be tough to see your beloved reds the cause of this whole mess. They could no longer deny it. Yingluck with her blaming the previous government :bah:

But this all happened on the Democrats watch. The waters began being released the beginning of August. Between april and july hardly any water was released and the dams were at double the capacity they were the previous year. I assume this guy is from Chart thai party as they were in the coalition with the democrats and got awarded the agriculture ministry. They are now coalition partners of Pheu Thai and have hung on to the same brief.

The article is very misleading. Wild accusations and scare mongering. In short posted to confuse.

So it is all proven now.

Mr. Theera greedy in wanted the 3rd harvest have caused 500+ life, and billion in damage.

Put him on trial, let him be responsible. I think he will to to jail for life, if not excuted immediately.

My dear poster, this is Thailand, where the CoP is a relative of the PM, the Police Minister is a certain Mr (no one saw a thing) Chalermand the AG refuses to prosecute anybody connected to the government.. With his connections to the previous government, the perfect scapegoat will retire on a fat pension with an even fatter bonus for taking the heat.

He should do the honorable thing and retire himself--permanently.

Yeah he should straight to jail, for criminal negligence!

yeah, hang 'em high! Never ask who's orders or suggestions he/they/the Department of Irrigation followed!

That was not a defence at Nuremburg! I was just following orders, doesn't suffice, especially at Ministerial level.

They were releasing a lot less water than they were taking in since August, that's when the floods started in the North. By September dams were almost full, at over 80% capacity, Disasters dept issued its highest level flood alert and that's when Theera gave this order, it was reported in Thai press, so they were still releasing less than taking in and then the hell broke loose.

I think the mismanagement here was in not spreading the floods evenly over two-three months but releasing it in one go that created this slow moving tsunami.

The conspiracy theory about Thaksin protecting Arab investors who bought land in Suphanburi is too good to pass. When water was about to be diverted to Suphan Banharn easily prevailed over Phua Thai MPs and they backed off and flooded Ayutthaya instead. Banharn has kept an extremely low profile since then, so did Theera, and, more importantly, so did Thaksin.

It's a mighty big ace the elites are holding against them - selling rice land to foreigners and flooding half the country to protect them. They are holding Thaksin, Banharn and Yingluck government practically by the balls and if Thaksin doesn't play nice someone will certainly use this conspiracy to incite the next massive uprising.

It is developing in slow motion, Theera's order alone took two months to go public and since Banharn insisted that there will be no punishment for his minster it's just the beginning.

New round of civil unrest is in nobody's interest but PT can't use this reason to goad the Democrats in accepting responsibility for floods, someone is going to snap and bring this new allegation against Thaksin into the public arena, and I don't mean Manager website no one takes seriously.

They are already asking YL to quit, this smells trouble.

Full marks for your conspiracy theory. I don't like the idea of the arabs buying up swathes of Thailand to grow crops exclusively for their home market. It's another form of conquest isn't it?

I thought the truth was they were afraid of another drought that's why the water levels were allowed to be so high with hardly any water being released between April and August.

Punishing him satisfies the desired for revenge for many. I reserve my comment for such reaction. You are entitled yours. Do you think the same problem will not happen in future just because he admitted his mistake and he tendered his resignation? What make we think the other minister to take his position can make the all the right decisions without miss over the next 50 years. This minister, probably the previous one too, had done two gross mistakes related to dams operations in less than 10 years that I can find. You may put better minister that makes one mistake over the next 15 years. But then that one mistake that counts. As what it happened now.

Let me point out the fundamental problem. EGAT in charge for power generation. It likes the dams water level going as higher as possible for higher yields. Agriculture Minister, in charge for agriculture activities. He also wants the dams level to be as high as possible for higher yields. Unfortunately, for a sake of flood control, the dams water levels have to be brought a lot down, No associated yield for doing so. Loss of opportunity due to lower yields in power generation and agriculture and the need to "waste" the water just like that could be TBH billions per annum. My point is that, who is in charge to champion for the so call flood control requirement? Which minister wants to champion this (unpopular) task? As far as I can see it from the recent floods event, it appeared to be nobody.

If nobody is assigned to do the right job you will not get the right result for the right job. This is what happened as I see, over at least the last few months. Thailand is not the only country that has this kind of problem. And it won't be the last.

Edited by ResX

I didn't think of that!!! I forgot that this vermin finds an opportunity in everything, irrespective of people's suffering and misfortunes.

I tell you!!! He would sell his sister if he could make money out of it!!!:o. Oooops, forgot........he already has!!! What can he sell now????? After all, he must find a way to replenish his over-filled coffers as he has lost a small fortune with his drowned rice - are his parents still alive?????:jap:.

They were releasing a lot less water than they were taking in since August, that's when the floods started in the North. By September dams were almost full, at over 80% capacity, Disasters dept issued its highest level flood alert and that's when Theera gave this order, it was reported in Thai press, so they were still releasing less than taking in and then the hell broke loose.

I think the mismanagement here was in not spreading the floods evenly over two-three months but releasing it in one go that created this slow moving tsunami.

The conspiracy theory about Thaksin protecting Arab investors who bought land in Suphanburi is too good to pass. When water was about to be diverted to Suphan Banharn easily prevailed over Phua Thai MPs and they backed off and flooded Ayutthaya instead. Banharn has kept an extremely low profile since then, so did Theera, and, more importantly, so did Thaksin.

It's a mighty big ace the elites are holding against them - selling rice land to foreigners and flooding half the country to protect them. They are holding Thaksin, Banharn and Yingluck government practically by the balls and if Thaksin doesn't play nice someone will certainly use this conspiracy to incite the next massive uprising.

It is developing in slow motion, Theera's order alone took two months to go public and since Banharn insisted that there will be no punishment for his minster it's just the beginning.

New round of civil unrest is in nobody's interest but PT can't use this reason to goad the Democrats in accepting responsibility for floods, someone is going to snap and bring this new allegation against Thaksin into the public arena, and I don't mean Manager website no one takes seriously.

Full marks for your conspiracy theory. I don't like the idea of the arabs buying up swathes of Thailand to grow crops exclusively for their home market. It's another form of conquest isn't it?

I thought the truth was they were afraid of another drought that's why the water levels were allowed to be so high with hardly any water being released between April and August.

Oh, there's smoke alright. The question remains whether there's fire or not:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/21240/foreign-investment-and-rice-production/

Thailand is basically a mono-crop culture. So much reliance on rice has its problems, and this flood only highlights one aspect of its problems. 16 months ago it was claimed by Thai gurus to be "The Worst Drought in 20 Years!". .....also problematic for rice.

Democrat MP Nipit Intarasombat said the flood crisis would have been less severe if the number of rice harvests had been reduced from three to two this year, and the water released after the second.

Three crops per year on the same parcel?!?!? Even two crops per year is dicey. Soil need to be replenished, rejuvenated. Thais know nothing about composting and very little about mulching. Each year, many rice farmers burn most parts of the rice plant left over after harvesting. . Just as important, there are a slew of crops that are as well, or better suited to Thailand's climate/soil conditions. I've listed them before, so I'll just make a web page, rather than list them all again. Try Brazil Noi treesfor a reasonable alternative. Hemp is better crop than rice for a dozen reasons. Both have many times more value in baht/kilo and in nutrition.

If anyone asks you; "What's Wrong with Trying to Grow so much Rice in Thailand?" You can tell them the info above, and you can add that the rice in Thai food bowls is basically starch, nearly devoid of nutrients. It's like a filler or something to make paper mache glue. Such a nutrition-poor staple also affects the thinking ability of Thais - particularly children.

Even from my "city-guy" perspective, Thailand's agriculture looks extremely conservative and narrow-minded.

I have the impression that they are obsessed with a few kind of crops and won't even try to consider if there are alternatives that can actually generate more revenue.

I had an interesting discussion with my in-laws, some of whom are farmers and land-owners upcountry. They laughed at me when I asked why they didn't try to get a loan to invest in machines who could help them take care of their rice crops. I was even ready to participate. I had an answer sounding like: "This farang is so funny, he clearly doesn't know anything about anything. Everyone knows you can't use no machine for harvesting rice".

It took me a minute on my mobile to find pictures of such machine as they are used in Japan or Korea.

At first, they were stunned... but they recovered quickly: "Oh, but that's in Japan! Here is Thailand, it's not the same. In Thailand, you cannot". End of discussion.

My guess is that there are a LOT of people who benefit from this ignorance from the farmers. And it includes those who pretend being their political voice.

We had a visit from the Thai/German Organic Rice Co-operative here yesterday. About 8 guys and a translator. They where doing there annual inspection of the rice farms to see if they meet all the requirements of being "organic" and setting a price for this years crop.

The father-in-law has no idea about organic farming and was only interested in the price he might get later on in the year.

I asked the German guy who seemed to be in charge of this outfit if the figure's stacked up and he told me that they where "so so", meaning that he understood that these where all b/s figures and started to question the father-in-law who was lost in finding answers to his questions.

I know for a fact that this crop and many before it are not at all Organic, nor is the neighbours, however they have been sold this idea so that they will sell the rice to that mill who will then go and market the crop as 'Organic" and fetch a higher price that the farmer will not see.

I also mentioned to the father-in-law about using machinery to harvest the crop, but all he could was laugh and tell me what would a falang know about these things!!!

Bring on a decent education system for the kids of Isaan simpletons!

But let the daughters still come South :D

Knowing how Thaksin operates, I imagine he has been holding huge long / short positions in Rice contracts in global commodities markets.

The theory goes that he sold Suphanburi land to Arab investors and since it has been illegally and through nominees they hold him personally responsible.

Water levels in dams is physically controlled by Egat, they release it in only consultation with Irrigation Dept, they can't just do without RID approval. Irrigation Dept is under Agriculture Ministry and that's where Theera comes in - he personally took charge and promised to accept full responsibility, according to some accounts.

By July dams had more water than last year but it was still only half capacity and I seriously doubt Democrats were monitoring the situation, it was business as usual in departments out of their control, but yeah, keep blaming Democrats and Arab conspiracy will come to light, won't matter if it's true or not, the fallout will be massive.

In this situation no one can afford to be a scapegoat so they better not push people. Theera is the best fall guy, he's in on the real reason and he can be easily controlled, not so with Democrats or BKK governor.

Punishing him satisfies the desired for revenge for many. I reserve my comment for such reaction. You are entitled yours. Do you think the same problem will not happen in future just because he admitted his mistake and he tendered his resignation? What make we think the other minister to take his position can make the all the right decisions without miss over the next 50 years. This minister, probably the previous one too, had done two gross mistakes related to dams operations in less than 10 years that I can find. You may put better minister that makes one mistake over the next 15 years. But then that one mistake that counts. As what it happened now.

Let me point out the fundamental problem. EGAT in charge for power generation. It likes the dams water level going as higher as possible for higher yields. Agriculture Minister, in charge for agriculture activities. He also wants the dams level to be as high as possible for higher yields. Unfortunately, for a sake of flood control, the dams water levels have to be brought a lot down, No associated yield for doing so. Loss of opportunity due to lower yields in power generation and agriculture and the need to "waste" the water just like that could be TBH billions per annum. My point is that, who is in charge to champion for the so call flood control requirement? Which minister wants to champion this (unpopular) task? As far as I can see it from the recent floods event, it appeared to be nobody.

If nobody is assigned to do the right job you will not get the right result for the right job. This is what happened as I see, over at least the last few months. Thailand is not the only country that has this kind of problem. And it won't be the last.

I certainly wouldn't put YOU in this position, as I would imagine that the first question you would ask is "where is the plug situated and how many people does it take to pull it out"??? or maybe "how many standard sized kettles would all this water fill - assumes that each kettle is filled to the maximum level line (taking the lower meniscus as the point of reference)???

I think you owe it to me to explain what these "put together words mean" as I could read it a hundred times and not be none the wiser!!!:blink:.

Reading it once is enough though as if I read it again then maybe I will spend the rest of my life wondering what it all means - it could be my "quest for life" and I have more important things to consider than this as I only have one life (assumes there is no after-life):D!!!!

He should do the honorable thing and retire himself--permanently.

Yeah he should straight to jail, for criminal negligence!

Thai government official never retire and as SHE said, The people need us …

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

Not just the Arab investments,

but the Rice-Mafia up country for the rice pledging spoils.

If there were foreigners running farms saved at the expense of trashing the average Thais running farms, then this is a scandal of Promethian proportions, that can NOT be spun into submission.

Will this be the straw that breaks the back of the Thaksin Political Machine and lay 'the legend' bare and baldfaced?

Edited by animatic

Why be so harsh in judgement. If he had let water release from dams - and it turned out to be a dry latter part of the monsoon, then he would be blamed not storing enough water for the 2nd or 3rd rice crop.

Why let the dams get that full in the first place? Its basic risk management. And why is a politician making decisions about dam water levels at all? This should be done by technical officials who know what the hell they are doing. Political interference is a large part of the problem. This guy should go.

I wonder if Mr. Theera is "unusually rich" ?

I heard a story from a staunch yellow supporting Thai recently, saying that Thaksin is behind all of the flooding, for a bigger reason than the rice-pledging scheme. The story goes like this:

Thaksin can afford the best experts, so he hired meteorologists, hydrologists, et al who acknowledged that this was an El Nina year, and that the possibility of increased rainfall / tropical depressions during the rainy season was likely. Thaksin then paid off the guys responsible for the dams to allow them to fill to max capacity, under the guise of how it will help the poor rice farmers during the coming dry months. After that, all he had to do was sit patiently and wait. The rains arrived, the dams needed to be drained, and now Bangkok is under threat of total inundation. Thaksin couldn't burn Bangkok to the ground last year, so now he is going to try and drown it.

Of course, if Bangkok is ravaged by the flooding and infrastructure / airport is destroyed, it would make sense to move the capitol to higher ground like Chiang Mai that has an international airport, etc. Or possibly Korat, Udon Thani, or any other upcountry city that is predominantly red.

I scoffed at this concept originally, but now that I think more about it, I believe the guys on Mythbusters would label this as "plausible".

I certainly wouldn't put YOU in this position, as I would imagine that the first question you would ask is "where is the plug situated and how many people does it take to pull it out"??? or maybe "how many standard sized kettles would all this water fill - assumes that each kettle is filled to the maximum level line (taking the lower meniscus as the point of reference)???

I think you owe it to me to explain what these "put together words mean" as I could read it a hundred times and not be none the wiser!!!:blink:.

Reading it once is enough though as if I read it again then maybe I will spend the rest of my life wondering what it all means - it could be my "quest for life" and I have more important things to consider than this as I only have one life (assumes there is no after-life):D!!!!

Perhaps you ought to explain what all that drivvle of a reply actually means. From start to finish it is utter nonsense.

Knowing how Thaksin operates, I imagine he has been holding huge long / short positions in Rice contracts in global commodities markets.

The theory goes that he sold Suphanburi land to Arab investors and since it has been illegally and through nominees they hold him personally responsible.

Water levels in dams is physically controlled by Egat, they release it in only consultation with Irrigation Dept, they can't just do without RID approval. Irrigation Dept is under Agriculture Ministry and that's where Theera comes in - he personally took charge and promised to accept full responsibility, according to some accounts.

By July dams had more water than last year but it was still only half capacity and I seriously doubt Democrats were monitoring the situation, it was business as usual in departments out of their control, but yeah, keep blaming Democrats and Arab conspiracy will come to light, won't matter if it's true or not, the fallout will be massive.

In this situation no one can afford to be a scapegoat so they better not push people. Theera is the best fall guy, he's in on the real reason and he can be easily controlled, not so with Democrats or BKK governor.

They should make the release based on documented SOP. The dams (Bhumibol & Sirkit) have three major purposes. power generations, flood controls and irrigation. The available storage are limited. But every stake holder has it share. A fair allocation of shares shall be made by putting national interest as the main agenda. Any stake holder cannot hijack the shares allocated for others just like that.

If the dams were designed to provide says 2billion cubic meter of water per year for irrigation, it is not wise to "hijack" ,for example 2billion cubic meter of water allocated for flood control just because the irrigation sector demands for the additional. Such additional demand shall be met by putting a new dam.

Edited by ResX

Perhaps you ought to explain what all that drivvle of a reply actually means. From start to finish it is utter nonsense.

"I might have considered this if I knew what DRIVVLE means" or is it DRIWLE Ha Ha Ha!!!!!:lol:.

I don't think there has ever been a more knowledgable poster here on the subject of flood containment than the fellow you are responding to. I think you may owe him an apology. Just sayin'.

So it is all proven now.

No offence meant, but may I infer that you are a recent arrival to the LOS ?

Time here means nothing cos an old Aussy member who has lived here for 21 years has been trying to convince me for last hour that Abhisit and the Dems are responsible for this tragedy maybe he would like to carry on the debate here in TV :lol: :lol:

Mr Theera has already confessed that he is greedy.

Mr Theera has already confessed that he is at fault.

Let the witch trial begins. I say burn him.