Pattaya: Has It Been Affected By Bangkok’S Floods?

Rimmer

Pattaya: has it been affected by Bangkok’s floods?

PATTAYA: -- Many people have been asking on international travel forums and Thailand bulletin boards whether Pattaya, or access to Pattaya, have been affected by the flooding in Bangkok.

We can confirm as of today, Friday 11 November, that Suvarnabhumi airport remains open and operationally unaffected by flooding.

Flood water has been reported only 7km away from the airport, but the airport authorities and the government remain confident that Suvarnabhumi will be safe from floods.

Further, contrary to some reports, access by road from the airport to Pattaya has not been affected by flooding.

Aside from water and food shortages as panic-buying Bangkokians descended on the town two weeks ago, the only indirect flood-related problems Pattaya has suffered are from the many thousands of new, temporary residents who have rented hotel rooms, apartments and houses in Pattaya, although nobody has reported widespread price increases because of this sudden surge in demand, nor a shortage of accommodation for tourists.

Full story HERE

--IN PATTAYA NOW 2011-11-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I agree! The traffic jams have become a major problem and I have given up trying to drive. A Thai has taken over for me.

Yes the traffic jams are far worse. Seems to me the police have forgotten the people who actually live here as they make crossing the Sukhumvit from the east side of Pattaya at peak times almost impossible. Closing the right turn from Soi Khao Talo means a 2 km drive to the next u-turn, which merely adds to the traffic congestion, or risking life and limb crossing 4 lanes of speeding traffic in about 50 metres to make the turn at Thepprasit.

The random arbitrary closing of various right turns to suit the whims of the local police is highly frustrating.

without doubt the driving in Pats is chaos. I am out tonight and plan to park in 3rd road and taxi bike to jontien to get there on time. as to food sortages i found it interesting.

1st the farangs emptied the supermarkets (locals)

2nd the locals hit payday and did the same

3rd the incomers hit them again

which kind of explains the lack of some goods. seeing a family with 7 shopping carts at tescos was an eye opener!

Really cant blame the Bkkians as they are coming from where there is not a lot to be had.

As to access to Thailand and to Pattaya, except for the humungous traffic on the motorway, Rimmer is spot on. we are putting out daily bulletins, much gleaned from here, but always emphasise the fact that pattaya is easy to reach and no probs on the airport or roads to here

On Sukhumvit today saw two crashes ,one involving a speeding pick up ,both cars involved in the crashes had Bangkok plates ,and the traffic was bloody awfull ,please floods go down and bangkok people go home. :(

my cars on bangkok plates

it does not equate

Did you buy the car in Bangkok,or just want to be "flash" :D

thats why locals get bkk plates according to my wife.

ps ,i am sorry for them but will be glad when they are off home ,especially those next door ,well their dog anyway. :)

Edited by thaimate

On Sukhumvit today saw two crashes ,one involving a speeding pick up ,both cars involved in the crashes had Bangkok plates ,and the traffic was bloody awfull ,please floods go down and bangkok people go home. :(

it does not equate

ps ,i am sorry for them but will be glad when they are off home ,especially those next door ,well their dog anyway. :)

actually i bought it in Chang Mai but i had it transferred to a condo address in BKK

it was done to capitalize on the higher prices usually realised by Bangkok registered vehicles when it comes to selling, not to be ''flash''

it was a financial thing not a social thing

however after the floods that may well no longer apply and Chonburi plates may be the most treasured as they are far less likely to have been submarines ...........

Edited by timekeeper

it does not equate

actually i bought it in Chang Mai but i had it transferred to a condo address in BKK

it was done to capitalize on the higher prices usually realised by Bangkok registered vehicles when it comes to selling, not to be ''flash''

however after the floods that may well no longer apply and Chonburi plates may be the most treasured as they are far less likely to have been submarines ...........

Totaly agree with you there ,as there are going to be some very nervous buyers around when the floods have gone away :unsure: especially as you say if they have Bangkok plates

it does not equate

Totaly agree with you there ,as there are going to be some very nervous buyers around when the floods have gone away :unsure: especially as you say if they have Bangkok plates

might be a good time to flip to Chonburi plates.........