Are You Scared, Worried, Or Feel Like It'S Pointless To Live In Thailand?

ajarnyai

8>< ----------SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ---- ><8

Yes the queen of England speaks an entirely different version of the English Language to those in Brooklyn or Manhattan. She is English and speaks "English" and spells according to the English language. Just as those of the Thai speak thai and not Brooklyn Thai. No I am not English but of Gaelic/Koori decent but I know the difference between English language and American.

One of the reasons I am so comfortable in Thailand is that I can get away with speaking my native tongue

(ayetha''llberightjimmywhasgoanieunerstaundyethen,yeraj?)

more or less, even though the locals have but the merest smattering of the language, and struggle with grammar and vocabulary.

Like any great empire, the English language has had to accept a lot of devolution, and our colonial offspring may drop some vowels, (I'm trying to think of something witty to say about less 'Y's...) and have trunks in the cars instead of boots, but at the end of the day, its probably the easiest language to speak, because we can tolerate so much (you need only venture into England to see that!) which is why it is the lingua franca throughout the globe (lingua franca - that must drive the French berserk...). I reckon the edifying and civilising effect of cricket has a lot to do with it as well. I am sure we would all sleep safer in our beds if Thailand had a decent cricket team...

SC

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! Street Cowboy I suspect that you are trying to mislead the august members of this forum; your quotation in your native tongue does not ring true - "yeraj" should in fact be "yaraj" and of course should include the expletive which I imagine you have excluded for PC purposes; it seems more the attempt of someone from outwith the boundaries of the Athens of the North to assimilate the local patois. East Lothian perhaps or even Fife?

Either way you have betrayed your quisling background with your extolling the questionable merits of cricket....

Anybody have an answer why the popular games in the penal colony of Australia are those from English Public Schools?

I learnt to enjoy the English sports whilst living amongst them. I suppose one of the great things about living under a united crown is the exposure to foreign cultures.

I'm not from the Kingdom, I'm from South of the water, as you say. Transliteration is a challenge to us all, even in our local tongues; at least with English we can refer to written texts for the usage of 'loose' (as in fateful lightning, but not, as I wrongly believed, dogs of war, which are let slip, rather than loosed.

Anyway, by way of a sidetrack towards the topic of the thread, I can see newsworthy times ahead with the new controversy over Thaksin's possible return.

Whilst living amongst them beyond the Tweed and Solway, I only felt close to the headlines once, when the IRA bombed my High Street, while since leaving that many-sceptred isle I've several times had family enquire if I was affected by the news

SC

Funnily enough, despite years in that country, I saw an English Premier League team for the first time at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

Ah! Street Cowboy I suspect that you are trying to mislead the august members of this forum; your quotation in your native tongue does not ring true - "yeraj" should in fact be "yaraj" and of course should include the expletive which I imagine you have excluded for PC purposes; it seems more the attempt of someone from outwith the boundaries of the Athens of the North to assimilate the local patois. East Lothian perhaps or even Fife?

Either way you have betrayed your quisling background with your extolling the questionable merits of cricket....

Anybody have an answer why the popular games in the penal colony of Australia are those from English Public Schools?

I learnt to enjoy the English sports whilst living amongst them. I suppose one of the great things about living under a united crown is the exposure to foreign cultures.

I'm not from the Kingdom, I'm from South of the water, as you say. Transliteration is a challenge to us all, even in our local tongues; at least with English we can refer to written texts for the usage of 'loose' (as in fateful lightning, but not, as I wrongly believed, dogs of war, which are let slip, rather than loosed.

Anyway, by way of a sidetrack towards the topic of the thread, I can see newsworthy times ahead with the new controversy over Thaksin's possible return.

Whilst living amongst them beyond the Tweed and Solway, I only felt close to the headlines once, when the IRA bombed my High Street, while since leaving that many-sceptred isle I've several times had family enquire if I was affected by the news

SC

Funnily enough, despite years in that country, I saw an English Premier League team for the first time at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

Aye sir!

SC

I,too, lived in England for some 5 years in the NE and NW and before that had a colleague who had fallen under the soporific rapture of cricket on the village green in the South-East; his description of drinking warm beer on a balmy afternoon while elderly spinsters pedalled to evensong was in some ways charming (credit to John Major must be acknowledged here) but the thwack of leather(are cricket balls leather or cork?) on willow even when half-asleep has never appealed.

Now that Thaksin is not returning maybe there can be more talking on ThaiVisa Forum that is less adversarial but I suspect not.

By the way do you have an opinion on what I asked whimsically in my last post? Cricket and rugby are historically English Public School sports and I suspect that rugby as such did not exist in Australia's early days as a penal colony; why are they so popular in so many ex-colonies? I'm really interested in this because I have an Australian grandson. Thankfully he has given up rugby for "soccer" but he persists with cricket..

Mind you whatever he plays he will probably be good enough for Scotland

SC

I,too, lived in England for some 5 years in the NE and NW and before that had a colleague who had fallen under the soporific rapture of cricket on the village green in the South-East; his description of drinking warm beer on a balmy afternoon while elderly spinsters pedalled to evensong was in some ways charming (credit to John Major must be acknowledged here) but the thwack of leather(are cricket balls leather or cork?) on willow even when half-asleep has never appealed.

Now that Thaksin is not returning maybe there can be more talking on ThaiVisa Forum that is less adversarial but I suspect not.

By the way do you have an opinion on what I asked whimsically in my last post? Cricket and rugby are historically English Public School sports and I suspect that rugby as such did not exist in Australia's early days as a penal colony; why are they so popular in so many ex-colonies? I'm really interested in this because I have an Australian grandson. Thankfully he has given up rugby for "soccer" but he persists with cricket..

Re rugby ( I hated cricket and don't want to know anything about it ) when I was over in London I realised why soccer was "the game" there rather than rugby. IMO, it's because kids school playgrounds are hard surfaced- no way you're going to play a game that involves getting slammed onto the ground unless it's a grass surface. In the "colonies" of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand there is plenty of soft surface ground to play rugby on.

Whatever kids love to play is what they're going to grow up to love.

Just to keep it Thai related, you might be a bit ahead of things saying thaksin isn't coming back. The red's game isn't over yet. If he did come back, that's something that would make me scared and worried about for the future of LOS.

SC

Re rugby ( I hated cricket and don't want to know anything about it ) when I was over in London I realised why soccer was "the game" there rather than rugby. IMO, it's because kids school playgrounds are hard surfaced- no way you're going to play a game that involves getting slammed onto the ground unless it's a grass surface. In the "colonies" of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand there is plenty of soft surface ground to play rugby on.

Whatever kids love to play is what they're going to grow up to love.

Just to keep it Thai related, you might be a bit ahead of things saying thaksin isn't coming back. The red's game isn't over yet. If he did come back, that's something that would make me scared and worried about for the future of LOS.

I agree.

I would also like to agree with you on the second point, but I don't want to get involved in that pointless bickering.

So to make it relevant, I would like to highlight that Thailand's commitment to rugby union was originally related to its benefits in military training, inherited from military education at Sandhurst provided to some officers of the time. I think I read that in a programme at a rugby competition...

SC