Seems Pretty Dry For November

stevehaigh

Strangly it seems like every Nov. 1 the tap just shuts off. Mostly just the afternoon or early morning squalls till April. Hotter, but for those without cars, it's a godsend.

The rain water they are dealing with in Bangers fell several weeks and even months ago up north.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Heavy rain here in Patong an hour ago. Lasted about 30 minutes.

This morning I was watching those storm clouds approach on the radar site. As we're laying concrete here in Chalong, I was very glad to see most of it disapate before hitting the island with the one remaining cloud passing north of us. Obviously hit Patong. :)

The OP got his wish!

Huge thunderstorm came over the island this evening and pissed down for about an hour!

Southern part of the island. No rain at north east.

Last Friday there was some serious rain on the middle part of the island. 20-30cm water on the road front of super cheap. Some restaurants got mildly flooded and looked like the lower parts of super cheap got flooded as well.

The storm last night caused my electricity to go haywire and burnt out some lightbulbs and now when I flick a certain switch, I'm tripping breakers.

Expensive day coming up now my water pump is non responsive.

I started shutting things down when I heard the first thunderclap right overhead but was surprised the electricity did not go off.

It poured down in Rawai last night, normal thunder storm weather for this time of the year

finally some heavy thunder and rain which is often the signal of wind turning from western to eastern. 120mm of rain past 12 hours. no need to water garden today :)

Yes mate, the storm came in from the east last night, could see and hear it 30 minutes before it arrived

The storm last night caused my electricity to go haywire and burnt out some lightbulbs and now when I flick a certain switch, I'm tripping breakers.

This f*#*ing storm destroyed my 40" LCD TV; like you said it, expensive day coming up now...

This f*#*ing storm destroyed my 40" LCD TV; like you said it, expensive day coming up now...

Its just getting worse as I look around.

Some light switches on the walls are fried stuck and need to be replaced along with any lightbulb that was on.

Magnetic switch for the pool pumps is melted and my Mitsubishi inverter pump for house water is dead.

Microwave oven has cooked its last meal as well.

My place must have been struck by lightning but neighbours think its because of the new influx of development in soi Pakjae and Kataburi that's keeping the old outdated transformer running at 100% and tripping constantly.

Who knows but it's starting to get expensive fixing burnt stuff constantly.

Its just getting worse as I look around.

Some light switches on the walls are fried stuck and need to be replaced along with any lightbulb that was on.

Magnetic switch for the pool pumps is melted and my Mitsubishi inverter pump for house water is dead.

Microwave oven has cooked its last meal as well.

My place must have been struck by lightning but neighbours think its because of the new influx of development in soi Pakjae and Kataburi that's keeping the old outdated transformer running at 100% and tripping constantly.

Who knows but it's starting to get expensive fixing burnt stuff constantly.

I counted between lightnings and thunder, and it was max 1-3 seconds, making it 300-900 meters from my bed

we have the TVs and soundsystems on separate switch and switch off powersupply when go to sleep. Sounds like it saved me some screens last night

you major problem may not be the burned appliances, but the burned concealed wires not any more able to carry the load they where designed for

I counted between lightnings and thunder, and it was max 1-3 seconds, making it 300-900 meters from my bed

we have the TVs and soundsystems on separate switch and switch off powersupply when go to sleep. Sounds like it saved me some screens last night

you major problem may not be the burned appliances, but the burned concealed wires not any more able to carry the load they where designed for

That's what my electrician is saying right now. He is cutting wires and checking for power, some do and some dont.

First my electrician said the lighting struck my powerpole on the street to cause this damage but then he said it must have hit the house to have burnt light switches that are welded in the on position, never to move again.

Every magnetic switch in the house is toast.

I find it strange how none of my plasma TV's didn't get killed, being on through the storm.

Anyway, gardens look happy and the grass is greener.

I must live close to you as our electricity went, definitely as a result of a nearby lightning strike.

Don't think there's any lasting damage like yours though the satellite TV system wasn't working this morning.

The first time in ages my team has been on live TV in Thailand and I lose the eledtricity!

I know that I live near KBB, did not know that I must be living (very) close to katasyd. Soi Kataburi has it's own transformers and is not supplied by any transformer on Patak Road. Only a high voltage feed goes into Soi Kataburi.

Yes the thunder crashes seemed to be right overhead, just about 21.00. We never had any power outage, or any glitches. Touch wood ... B)

Mind you we have the home PC, big screen TV, and DVR on UPS conditioned/battery backed supply.

yes, the rain gods certainly seem to read TV. one of the thunder claps happened right above my house, no delay at all between lighting and thunder. scared the khee out of my wife.

my electronics are ok, i learned the hard way before about unplugging everything in a thunder storm.

Had all my lights blazing and watched TV throughout the storm. Also, at one point the storm was overhead.

No problems whatsoever and I have no idea why.

Same here. I was watching the Grand Prix and my 'link' kept saying "Signal Low", so I was expecting to lose the signal any minute.

As it turned out - even though it poured down and the thunder was directly overhead, I didn't lose the TV signal :o!

It poured down in Rawai last night, normal thunder storm weather for this time of the year

finally some heavy thunder and rain which is often the signal of wind turning from western to eastern. 120mm of rain past 12 hours. no need to water garden today :)

The wind direction already changed end of October, which is also the normal time. Mid November would be extremely late.

Edited by stevenl

As I recall last year It rained like crazy. Strong winds and Big surf for King Cup Regatta and in November. Not sure where SB was but saw him alot during this time last year. This year looks way better than the last.

Strangly it seems like every Nov. 1 the tap just shuts off. Mostly just the afternoon or early morning squalls till April. Hotter, but for those without cars, it's a godsend.

The rain water they are dealing with in Bangers fell several weeks and even months ago up north.

yes, the rain gods certainly seem to read TV. one of the thunder claps happened right above my house, no delay at all between lighting and thunder. scared the khee out of my wife.

my electronics are ok, i learned the hard way before about unplugging everything in a thunder storm.

Same happened to me back in Oz - lightning tore a nice hole in the roof and fried a LCD TV, one computer and monitor and two surround sound systems (and the surge protectors not only didn't work, they didn't even trip). Thankfully, it was confined to only one circuit.

However, it has only happened once in my lifetime - I continue to not bother unplugging stuff during storms (I'm often not home when they occur in any case).

As I recall last year It rained like crazy. Strong winds and Big surf for King Cup Regatta and in November. Not sure where SB was but saw him alot during this time last year. This year looks way better than the last.

the low season tranquility has arrived Kata Beach. Longtails are moored over night, and Kings Cup Regatta boats will hopefully remain in the water this year. Kata Beach was a mess last years regatta, with boats up to 40 feet size smashed and stranded for weeks.

Huh. I kind of wish to have the nice weather back. It seems to rain every day now and if there is no rain, the sky is gray anyway.

Huh, where are you?

One grey day a couple of days ago, but that is it. No rain during the day, only in the evening/night.

Excellent weather, even with the strong wind from yesterday evening/night.