Getting Thai Bank Debit Card With Name Pre-Printed

Has anyone been successful in doing this? Which bank? Checking or Savings? How long does it take? Does it get mailed to the home, or you pick up at the branch? Can you still use your existing card in the mean time? I heard someone doing this and I'm hoping I can get it done for my savings account, preferably with bangkok bank. The one that they issue "instantly" at the branch is nameless and "for electronic use only"

If your looking for one that you can use on the net then it's the B1st account from BB

It doesn't have your name on it but you can do everything that you would be able to do with a debit card back home with this card.

Simply ask at your branch for this card.

With Kasikorn you can order a debit card, linked to a savings account, with your name embossed on it. I ordered mine in a branch, and collected it there about a week later.

You can use your old card whilst you are waiting for the new one, and even after you receive it.

For the person who asks why you would want a card with your name on it, I would have thought it's pretty obvious.

You can register you Kasikorn Debit Card to use on-line, if you booked air tickets on-line and the card holder was Priviledged Member, there might be a problem at check in if that isn't your name. Some retailers overseas, especially in countries that have "chip and pin" seek additional ID.

Let's turn the question round, what are the disadvantages of have the cardholders name embossed on their card?

With Kasikorn you can order a debit card, linked to a savings account, with your name embossed on it. I ordered mine in a branch, and collected it there about a week later.

You can use your old card whilst you are waiting for the new one, and even after you receive it.

For the person who asks why you would want a card with your name on it, I would have thought it's pretty obvious.

You can register you Kasikorn Debit Card to use on-line, if you booked air tickets on-line and the card holder was Priviledged Member, there might be a problem at check in if that isn't your name. Some retailers overseas, especially in countries that have "chip and pin" seek additional ID.

Let's turn the question round, what are the disadvantages of have the cardholders name embossed on their card?

My BBK isnt embossed and I have been able to use it anywhere I choose without problem, as for Kasikorn Bank you can use their virtual card online so no advantage there either.

The only possible issue is the airline you mentioned, but I have never been asked in the last 10 years.

Edited by CharlieH

You are correct CharlieH, you can use the nameless cards in overseas in ATM's, but my girlfriend had problems using hers in shops in the UK and France.

We were asked to show the card used to purchase an airline ticket as recently as Saturday, you will be aware that a number of airlines specifically exclude virtual cards.

You still haven't explained, unless I've missed it, what the disadvantages of having your name embossed on your cards actually are.

You also cannot use the 'nameless' cards in overseas ATM's (in my experience), you need a proper debit card. I have a Visa from UOB, just have to pay 300 baht for it.

My K Bank card (Visa Debit) has "privileged Member" as the name on the card, it works just fine in England, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia and the USA.

What advantage do you think having your name on it has ?

Some online merchants will not accept nameless debit cards, or the ones that do not report the name matching the name on the order for. It's been rare, but it does happen. I may be going into town. I will inquire about this at the bank. I wanted to have the thai phrase if possible to avoid the alien stare. I was hoping ian or dave would jump in.

Seems like K-bank isn't so bad. maybe I'll open up an account there sometime. Thanks for all the replies so far.

What advantage do you think having your name on it has ?

Some online merchants will not accept nameless debit cards, or the ones that do not report the name matching the name on the order for. It's been rare, but it does happen. I may be going into town. I will inquire about this at the bank. I wanted to have the thai phrase if possible to avoid the alien stare. I was hoping ian or dave would jump in.

Seems like K-bank isn't so bad. maybe I'll open up an account there sometime. Thanks for all the replies so far.

The process for obtaining a "named" card from BBL is to call at the Branch and apply. The Branch will order from the Card centre and it will be returned back to the Branch. The customer is required to call back at the branch in order to uplift and load in the 4 digit pin number of their choice. Pricing of the card is the same.

Remember that if you lose this card, it also makes your name available to anyone who picks it up - so take good care. Cardholders are responsible for any charges on their cards up until they advise the bank of the loss of the card - its not the same as some other countries where cardholders are only responsible for the first x amount.

Remember that if you lose this card, it also makes your name available to anyone who picks it up - so take good care. Cardholders are responsible for any charges on their cards up until they advise the bank of the loss of the card - its not the same as some other countries where cardholders are only responsible for the first x amount.

I thought about that already. Even now if I lose the nameless card, anyone can just gas up or take shopping spree at big c. And those people really do not check anything, just swipe and sign. there's a way around that. use two accounts and then do an internet or atm transfer before shopping.

Agree. Also you can apply for Bangkok Bank's SMS Alert service at their ATM which will send a message to your mobile phone for each and every spending transaction. Select "apply for service" from the main menu screen & go from there.

By the way - I recall that VISA did a survey in the US regarding the impact of putting the cardholder's photo on the card - cards with Snoopy and Father Xmas images were accepted by retailers as much as genuine images :) - but cardholder's felt better about it. Ok, one good thing about having your name on the card is that if you hand it over at Central or somewhere where there are lots of transactions being processing by a checkout person at the same time, its easier to check that the correct card was returned to you.

I have Bangkok Bank and SCB with my name on them and Krung Thai and Government Savings without. I never had any problem using them anywhere, unless, of course, there was no money in the account which lately has become the norm.

I just wanted to follow up and advise that the debit card arrived at the branch in good order. Of course my last name was cut off as they printed the first and full middle name (and I tried to point this out when ordering), i guess i cant get everything. The debit card and new pin # were in separate security envelopes. and you just go to the ATM to change the pin. You also must enroll the new debit card in SMS alerts and other features just like any new card.

BBK internet messaging system finally replied to my question posted here, 10 calendar days later, that named debit card is possible. Go figure. Thanks everyone for their responses.

One interesting thing worth mentioning is that the old debit card still works. I tested both of them at the atm and they both complete transactions ok. I double-checked internet banking and both debit cards show up on the same account. So now I have two debit cards on one account. The original one without a name, and the newer named card. It's kind of cool actually, but i wanted to confirm this is normal behavior from a technical aspect.?

I just wanted to follow up and advise that the debit card arrived at the branch in good order. Of course my last name was cut off as they printed the first and full middle name (and I tried to point this out when ordering), i guess i cant get everything. The debit card and new pin # were in separate security envelopes. and you just go to the ATM to change the pin. You also must enroll the new debit card in SMS alerts and other features just like any new card.

BBK internet messaging system finally replied to my question posted here, 10 calendar days later, that named debit card is possible. Go figure. Thanks everyone for their responses.

One interesting thing worth mentioning is that the old debit card still works. I tested both of them at the atm and they both complete transactions ok. I double-checked internet banking and both debit cards show up on the same account. So now I have two debit cards on one account. The original one without a name, and the newer named card. It's kind of cool actually, but i wanted to confirm this is normal behavior from a technical aspect.?

Both cards are active on the account unless you specifically request cancellation. The renewal fee needs to be considered as both will incur the fee.

You also cannot use the 'nameless' cards in overseas ATM's (in my experience), you need a proper debit card. I have a Visa from UOB, just have to pay 300 baht for it.

Was your card a Be1st Smart Card with the imbedded chip? If so that would possibly be the reason it was not accepted. Some machines are not upgraded to accept this level of secuirty. The machine reads the black strip on the standard card. It does not matter if there is a name on it. I have had my card accepted in at least 6 countries outside Thailand

Both cards are active on the account unless you specifically request cancellation. The renewal fee needs to be considered as both will incur the fee.

Its a good solution for people who want to share their account with a spouse/partner without the hassle of opening a "joint account", even if the bank doesn't recognise it as such.

Am so glad it's not just me having this problem with a nameless card!

None of the Thai's seem to understand what I am saying when a box appears on an online form and it says "Name exactly as it appears on the card". What would you put in? "Debit Card Plus" does not work., unless your name is actually Mr or Ms Debit Card Plus. It can't be that no Thai national buys stuff online.

The SCB nameless Mastercard definitely does not work online so don't even bother trying it (or maybe it's cos I haven't activated something, but I doubt it), not even with a Skype purchase, which has worked with almost any card I have thrown at it before. The Bangkok Bank nameless Visa card does work online but you need the Verified with Visa registration activated on the card. With Bangkok Bank it will send you a one time sms with a code that you have to enter into the box.....so here you are at the mercy of your phone network and not being timed out from the web page you are buying on.

I requested the lady at Bangkok Bank to issue me a named card, she did go through the process at 1st and then checked with HQ and told me they don't issue them anymore, which I doubt is true.

As another poster has commented, I just do not understand why they would not issue cards with the persons name on it, after requiring all this ID proof to open up an account in the 1st place!

Am so glad it's not just me having this problem with a nameless card!

None of the Thai's seem to understand what I am saying when a box appears on an online form and it says "Name exactly as it appears on the card". What would you put in? "Debit Card Plus" does not work., unless your name is actually Mr or Ms Debit Card Plus. It can't be that no Thai national buys stuff online.

The SCB nameless Mastercard definitely does not work online so don't even bother trying it (or maybe it's cos I haven't activated something, but I doubt it), not even with a Skype purchase, which has worked with almost any card I have thrown at it before. The Bangkok Bank nameless Visa card does work online but you need the Verified with Visa registration activated on the card. With Bangkok Bank it will send you a one time sms with a code that you have to enter into the box.....so here you are at the mercy of your phone network and not being timed out from the web page you are buying on.

I requested the lady at Bangkok Bank to issue me a named card, she did go through the process at 1st and then checked with HQ and told me they don't issue them anymore, which I doubt is true.

As another poster has commented, I just do not understand why they would not issue cards with the persons name on it, after requiring all this ID proof to open up an account in the 1st place!

Cant speak for other banks, but I use only my first and last name with bangkok bank hameless card and the card works online at just about non-thai merchants i use, including paypal. I thought about experimenting with other names just to see if it is bluff. I made sure I gave them my address in english. Not sure if that helped.

The Verified by Visa is setup once over the phone with an automated prompt system. It is 6 digit pin you create. Once you create it and it is confirmed, then you only need to enter this pin when prompted by VbV merchant.

I just got my named card two days ago, so they definitively still issue them. I meant to request a copy of the paperwork so that I could have the form #/template with thai symbols so it would be easier to request next time. Just needed passbook and passport. Maybe the BBK representatives can comment further or help you further. Maybe send a message to the branch in question and inform the manager to expect you. My experience is that I had to call gf and get some translation done over the phone to verify they understood the request.

The frustration is in wondering if they are blowing you off, or really do not know how to do it. I doubt that they do not know how or cannot refer to company literature, boss, etc. Part of it too is persistence, and walking in with all paperwork/fees in hand. I sat in that chair and I didn't leave until the boss came back. google translate is good also to translate short phrases. Turned out she figured out what needed to be done before boss returned.smile.gif

Edited by 4evermaat

On the issue of airline tickets paid with the "nameless" card, I once paid a ticket for another person, payment was accepted, and then gave that person a copy of the front and back side of my card, with one four digit block of the card number on the front, and the cvc number on the back blacked out for security reasons. Then signed the copy.

The person had no problem whatsoever checking in!

Not sure it would work with every airline though, and my card (Bkk Bank Be1st) is vbv registered...