Scary If Coming True

I dont think it makes a lot of difference how they lost the money, but there's a shed-load of owners of B&W PIBS who are pretty annoyed, and apparently wont be getting much more than a few pence in the pound if that.

it makes a lot of difference when looking at the jurisdiction or the financial background of the country before entering high risk assets. and it makes a lot of difference whether a seasoned investor risks 10% of his capital at a high risk/reward ratio or an ignorant/misinformed greedy newbie pours all his live savings into a risky asset.

You can examine the risks all you like before investing, but that wont help you if/when your PIBS provider is bought up by someone else who wasn't part of your initial investigation. In that case you just have to depend on the buyer (and perhaps its foreign government) for support, and as seen with B&W you may not get it.

This is one downside with PIBS.

I also have about 4% of my net worth in PIBS. I get a good return but never a day goes by without me wondering whether they will disappear in a puff of QE having been bought up for a song by some bizarre bank from a far-off country after some technical default. OK, I can afford it, but I'm still happier with 5 year bonds paying 5%. And indeed these should even give a positive return after inflation from January 2012.

PIBS are not for widows and orphans, or even pension funds for that matter. Municipal debt is another similar investment: looks great on paper until the town goes bankrupt for some unforeseen reason.

I agree with all comments here and posted the link prior to seeing the finish. I would never invest with that firm or buy his crap. However the point of the post was to just think if the dollar was not the world currency. The facts which has happened what he said was true and could very well see that possibility. I am retired, investor, about to move to Thailand living off my dollar pensions. Needless to say I am not saying the sky is falling but the dollar sure has among other currency.

The old adage is true, dont put all your eggs in one basket. About 18 months ago I moved some of my europeon investments to this part of the world, still have some in Europe but a lucky move for me. I also am retired and have been an investor but am now more caustious. There is only one stock I would currently look at in the UK Standard Life, last night 203p, they are paying about 13% dividends which makes it look attractive to me, maybe I will think about it. You are right to look at the dollar, I think I would look at alternatives as well. Not sure that Bush should get all the blame for the economic decline been going on a for a while now and what really keeps it going is the military spending, something they will find difficult to stop.

How on earth did we elect people to get us into this mess, a mess that is all over the western world, did they not see what was happening? If it was coming out of their own pockets they sure would!

ITS EASY TO SPEND OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.

Good luck with your investments.

Nong, Be very careful chasing high interest paying investment vehicles in the current environment, you may find out a couple years from now(or sooner) that your principal is substantially diminished, as Naam said they are paying that high interest rate for a reason :whistling:

Anybody remember what happen to the American economy after the 1997 Asian Financial crisis?

Yeah, right the economy was good as investors was seeking safer investments, which they got in the US, at least until NASDAQ went belly up in April 2000.

Now, if the European Central Bank start printing money and the Chinese housing bubble burst, where should a savvy investor go? Buy a banana farm in Venezuela or blue chip stocks on Wall Street?

The Dollar is not dead yet.:jap:

Expat oil worker, Your post is spot on :) The Euro is currently hanging on by a thread, and if (when?) the Germam people decide enough is enough then that thread will be severed and the Euro and EU would fade into the abyss as another failed experiment:o Japan is entering into a demographic nightmare and an extremely dangerous situation ahead given the fact that they need to import nearly all their raw materials, the Chinese government is finding out that once people get a taste of prosperity they want more of it so look for wages to continue to rise in China and look for more and more labor problems and pressure from the masses about the streams, rivers, lakes, land and air being poluted, so the days of cheap Chinese products will soon be a thing of the past :jap: The U.S. on the other hand will begin to get their budget under control (after the election a year from now), and the U.S. Dollar will begin a major long term rebound in 2013. Bazil and India will come out of all this as the big winners over the next couple of years, but neither of their curencies could ever replace the U.S. Dollar as the worlds reserve currency, and so once again by default the U.S. Dollar will reign as King of the currencies ;)

I dont think it makes a lot of difference how they lost the money, but there's a shed-load of owners of B&W PIBS who are pretty annoyed, and apparently wont be getting much more than a few pence in the pound if that.

it makes a lot of difference when looking at the jurisdiction or the financial background of the country before entering high risk assets. and it makes a lot of difference whether a seasoned investor risks 10% of his capital at a high risk/reward ratio or an ignorant/misinformed greedy newbie pours all his live savings into a risky asset.

You can examine the risks all you like before investing, but that wont help you if/when your PIBS provider is bought up by someone else who wasn't part of your initial investigation. In that case you just have to depend on the buyer (and perhaps its foreign government) for support, and as seen with B&W you may not get it.

This is one downside with PIBS.

I also have about 4% of my net worth in PIBS. I get a good return but never a day goes by without me wondering whether they will disappear in a puff of QE having been bought up for a song by some bizarre bank from a far-off country after some technical default. OK, I can afford it, but I'm still happier with 5 year bonds paying 5%. And indeed these should even give a positive return after inflation from January 2012.

PIBS are not for widows and orphans, or even pension funds for that matter. Municipal debt is another similar investment: looks great on paper until the town goes bankrupt for some unforeseen reason.

PIBS or subordinated bonds do not lose their value overnight and their value is not necessarily affected if the corporation is bought or taken over by another corporation or institution. moreover, no sound corporation is bought up for a song. if the latter is the case the debt fell already into the abyss and the investor was sleeping and missed the train by not selling.

one has to keep a constant eye on risky investments and sell if it is opportune even when realising a loss. i agree that these assets are not suited for widows and orphans but the majority of pension funds hold them to boost yields.

by the way, 2008 > 2009/2010 was the period to mint money with subordinates. even getting out with a loss the recovery provided phantastic rewards for anybody who got in when the tide turned, in many cases several hundred percent profit.

here's an example which is representative for the majority of subordinates issed by financial institutions:

post-35218-0-91545100-1321501575_thumb.j

post-35218-0-69724500-1321501588_thumb.j

In short, a fool and his money are soon parted.:jap:

I agree with all comments here and posted the link prior to seeing the finish. I would never invest with that firm or buy his crap. However the point of the post was to just think if the dollar was not the world currency. The facts which has happened what he said was true and could very well see that possibility. I am retired, investor, about to move to Thailand living off my dollar pensions. Needless to say I am not saying the sky is falling but the dollar sure has among other currency.

The old adage is true, dont put all your eggs in one basket. About 18 months ago I moved some of my europeon investments to this part of the world, still have some in Europe but a lucky move for me. I also am retired and have been an investor but am now more caustious. There is only one stock I would currently look at in the UK Standard Life, last night 203p, they are paying about 13% dividends which makes it look attractive to me, maybe I will think about it. You are right to look at the dollar, I think I would look at alternatives as well. Not sure that Bush should get all the blame for the economic decline been going on a for a while now and what really keeps it going is the military spending, something they will find difficult to stop.

How on earth did we elect people to get us into this mess, a mess that is all over the western world, did they not see what was happening? If it was coming out of their own pockets they sure would!

Nong, Be very careful chasing high interest paying investment vehicles in the current environment, you may find out a couple years from now(or sooner) that your principal is substantially diminished, as Naam said they are paying that high interest rate for a reason :whistling:

The principal is only important at the point of sale and you may have to wait and hope for a while. Standard Life are a good company that is well run, if I had the spare cash I would invest in them, as near to sure thing as you would get IMHO. I have only lost 2 companies that I have chased and allowing for that have still managed over 115% gain on the stock exchange (LSE) I would be the first to admit I have probably been lucky. One of the best I had was New Look, shares 60p and a 15% dividend, went to private equity in the end but I made out ok as I think they sold out for for around £4. It is a gamble and you jsut dont know what you dont know ( if you did it might change your thoughts).

Funny you should say that and here is an Australian documentary just released Monday on what we apparently have not learnt on this financial mess..who caused it and who still pays!!!Enjoy!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/

Funny you should say that and here is an Australian documentary just released Monday on what we apparently have not learnt on this financial mess..who caused it and who still pays!!!Enjoy!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/

Good stuff, if only the left hand knew what the right hand was doing,

Nothing is free, soemone has to pay, make sure it does not coe out of your pocket! Forget the taxes thats already left your pocketQ!!!

this statement is too harsh Nong. people who lost part or all of their investments are not necessarily fools but in many cases just un/misinformed and based their decisions on assumptions.

Dont be so utterly arrogant....

Obnoxious statements such as this invarably come from fire proof individuals looking for post count at BEST.

The U.S. on the other hand will begin to get their budget under control (after the election a year from now), and the U.S. Dollar will begin a major long term rebound in 2013. <snipped> and so once again by default the U.S. Dollar will reign as King of the currencies ;)

Hey VV long time no see....

Man I would agree with most of your post till.....you said the parts above

If you think a budget gone mad will be under control by merely swapping puppets.....I have some land to sell you...includes clouds no charge ;)

As for once again by default reigning as King of currencies......Well I guess a slum lord looks like king compared to the tenants but still

I would not brag about it. :lol: