Thai Atm Cards

leftcross

i've got a bangkok bank atm card and i'm travelling to the UK soon. will i be able to use it over there? has anyone had any experience (or know any charges involved?)

i've never had problems with english cards over here but does it work the other way around???

i still have an english card but i've forgotten the pin :o

thanks in advance for any info

Never had any trouble with the old blue B.B."baulaung" ATM card or indeed the later Silver or Be First Electron "thingy".

On my last visit (last week) I picked up a couple of new ones -Be 1st cards and this time they came with a VISA sign on them...dont know if it works but should assume no problems.(also bank Krungthrep gave me a free watch :o )which does work??

Never had any trouble with the old blue B.B."baulaung" ATM card or indeed the later Silver or Be First Electron "thingy".

On my last visit (last week) I picked up a couple of new ones -Be 1st cards and this time they came with a VISA sign on them...dont know if it works but should assume no problems.(also bank Krungthrep gave me a free watch :o )which does work??

Are you sure? The blue card is only for use in Thailand. For use outside of Thailand you have to have the silver version or a B1st card according to the BBL website.

I would make sure that you have more than one option. I use Siam Commercial Bank and that ATM card would NOT work in the US. It wasn't a problem since I also have an ATM card from my US bank. I would have been in a bind if I had depended on my Thai ATM card to work.

i've got a bangkok bank atm card and i'm travelling to the UK soon. will i be able to use it over there? has anyone had any experience (or know any charges involved?)

i've never had problems with english cards over here but does it work the other way around???

i still have an english card but i've forgotten the pin  :o

thanks in advance for any info

Yes

Yes

and get in touch with your card supplier .

Enjoy :D

(on a less frivolous piont get a Nationwide Flexicard, easy to set up on line .Just need a UK postal address initially)

Edited by roscoe

Are you sure? The blue card is only for use in Thailand. For use outside of Thailand you have to have the silver version or a B1st card according to the BBL website.

I used my blue one as Visa and as ATM card last month in Canada. Worked like a charm...

I used my blue one as Visa and as ATM card last month in Canada. Worked like a charm...

Believe you are talking about something else as the Blue Bangkok Bank Bualuang Card is not a Visa card of any sort. It is a domestic ATM only card with a 20 digit account number.

Believe you are talking about something else as the Blue Bangkok Bank Bualuang Card is not a Visa card of any sort. It is a domestic ATM only card with a 20 digit account number.

R: the Blue ATM card.

I am going back maybe 10 plus years ago and indeed did use said card in UK to make a withdrawal however I believe that when the new silver PREMIER one came out they restricted the "old"blue to in country only.

The silver was a bit more veratile but the Be 1st had the electron sign which means that you can use them as a debit card in shops.

The latest ones that I picked up last week have as I mentioned the VISA sign but no electron indication but assume they can still be used as a debit facility.

The free watch is still working :D

I would not rely on a "front counter" employee at a Thai bank to tell me anything about life outside of Thailand. They are so poorly paid that, in all likelihood, they have never travelled outside of Thailand, and likely never will.

It is too easy for them to assure you that your Thai ATM card will work in any ATM in the world. If it did not, and if you came back in to complain about having been misled, they would just stand there and laugh in your face.

I have used one of my Thai ATM cards in Malaysia (Thai Military Bank, I think). Another farang (also Thai resident) told me that it only works in Maybank machines. By chance, that is the one I had found first, so I can not comment on the others. So, especially when travelling in other semi-developed countries, don't give up if the first ATM you see rejects your card. Try to determine which of the local banks is most likely to have real connections with a Thai bank, rather than just pretty tellers or pretty brochures saying that they have.

I used my Krungsri Debit Card with Visa logo in Australia. They charged 100 bath per withdrawal regardless of the amount. So $5 or $ 1000 withdrawal charges are the same, just 100 bath. I dont think ATM card without any logo like Visa, maestro, Cirrus or Plus will work since it is very unlikely that those ATMS in the US or UK will be able to access your bank account in BKK.

My wife has a Bangkok Bank "Bualuang Premier" silver ATM card that she got about three years ago. She has successfully used it here in the USA but we don't know the charges/fees yet as she hasn't had her bank book updated yet. In fact we don't know how to do that except in person at a Bangkok Bank building. Or she has been thinking of calling them to at least get the present balance.

Anyway, the back of the card shows the ATM card is on the global "PLUS" network and should be good for a withdrawal at any ATM machine on that network. Since this card was issued three years ago, it is possible they have expanded further to include other networks. This card doesn't have a Visa logo on it.

Hope this helps. How often should the wife perform some kind of account activity to keep the account from going dormant or being seized? Once a year enough?

kenk3z

The BBL silver indeed will work overseas but the blue (cheaper model) is for domestic use only. To check your account balance you can call Thailand telephone number 1333 and follow the instructions (press 2 for English during the welcome in Thai if you are in a hurry) most other options will be 1 for account information. You will need your card number and pin to enter. Balance will be to closest baht.

I believe that the rule in Thailand re closure of dormant banking accounts is two years; in other words, the bank will close your account if there has been no activity for two years. It happened to me, but that was about seven years ago, so my memory is a little hazy.