Taking Your Cat On A Plane

MrSpike

Looking for a bit of advice, we are going to be relocating soon and would dearly like to take our cat with us. We already know the papers and vaccinations that we require for the country we are going to, our concern is the flight. We would be flying with Kuwait Airways as they allow pets, but when I spoke to the representative on the phone, she really didn't know a lot about it apart from that our cat would have to be transported in a cage and stowed in the cargo. Will the cargo area on the plane be temperature controlled, will she be left out in the sun whilst waiting to be loaded on the plane? Also where would we find a cage fit for the purpose and what would the cost of the cage be?

Many thanks

not sure about Kuwait Airways, there are both country specific and airline specific requirements for travelling pet in the cabin. Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong not allow pet in cabin. airline has regulations on size, number and condition of the pet.

in case pet travels in the air conditioned cargo compartment, there are also defined regulations and procedures.

very sure Thaiairways allows 'fly with pet', please check the attached link for the Thaiairways Pet Policy. quiet comprehensive just for reference.

http://www.prthaiairways.com/thaiair_4p/front/knowledge_detail.php?lg=en&dng=10

also an informative website here Pet Travel .com :

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/thai_airways.cfm

I would presume that a vet would be required to suggest a way to safely sedate the cat...from the cat that I owned many years ago I know that she would go ape-shit crazy by not being in control of her surroundings then traumatised when confronted by a new environment...the actual transport arrangement would be the least of your worries...

I would presume that a vet would be required to suggest a way to safely sedate the cat...from the cat that I owned many years ago I know that she would go ape-shit crazy by not being in control of her surroundings then traumatised when confronted by a new environment...the actual transport arrangement would be the least of your worries...

Do NOT sedate your animal before a flight. Very, very dangerous.

I've moved my pets 3 times (the longest flight was 15 hours plus a 4-hour wait at the airport for a connecting flight). They were fine. A bit annoyed and tired, but ok.

Airline-approved cages are sold at some animal hospitals and big pet stores (like the one across from Thonglor animal hospital). I haven't bought one in Thailand, but I think I saw the small ones going for about 1,500-2,000 baht?

If you have not purchased your tickets yet, look into Delta.  Delta will let you take your cat in the cabin on most flights.  We are moving to Thailand in January and chose to fly Delta for that reason, they have been very accommodating.<br><br>As the above poster mentioned, do not sedate the cats,  you can however find treats that will calm their nerves slightly.  If the cat is not used to crowds, look into getting a grooming muzzle that will cover their eyes, it will help keep them calm.<br><br>  <br>

• 1 month later...

NEVER EVER sedate your pet for air travel. They won't go 'ape-shit'. Best though to purchase your air kennel a few weeks before to accustom the pet to its new carrier.

For the actual trip be sure to include a well-worn T-shirt, slept in for a few nights, for your pet to cuddle in to: that is all that is required for your and your pet's peace of mind. Along with the IATA pet stickers, your new adress, the pet's name, the water/food containers, be sure to tie a leash to fall within the carrier so that upon arrival it is attached before you open the kennel door: arrival warehouses can be noisy and intimidating with a lot of traffic; pets have been lost or run over escaping from their kennel.

There is a lot to know about air kennel transit procedures, including what type kennel is IATA-approved; please make a check list to expedite the travel. See the pinned topic "Importing A Pet Into Thailand"....a lot applies to exporting a pet too. Have a pleasant journey. wai.gif

Thai airways will definitely let you take the cat in the cabin with you and that is far the best way.

Bad things do sometimes happen to pets in the cargo hold even with the best airlines. Plus of course the cat will be far less anxious if she is with you. I always bring my cat with me in the cabin, slide the case right under the seat in front so that my legs and hence my scent are close to her at all times. She's never scared, and thus not particulalry stressed by the experience.. P**ssed off, of course, but not seriously stressed.

hi sheryl...I have been excoriated by suggesting that cats should be sedated before air travel...from the experience of others it's good to know that that is no good...

but, my cat knew me well and when the cat box came out for transport to the vet she allowed me to put her in with a low growl that said: 'I'll get you for this, ye bastid...'

thanks to other posters for putting me straight...