Key Lanyards

T_Dog

Looks like its time to buy a key lanyard. The wife and I were headed down town after dinner last night and as we were riding along, I see that the keys were not in the ignition. (The detent has not worked after someone tried to steal my bike with a T-handle a few years ago.) I thought, "Aw Crap" as the ring had car keys and several other keys on it. So we back tracked for a half hour, looking for the keys, not turning off the bike and looking under parked cars. I was convinced they were gone. A block from home I look down as we sit under a street light at a traffic light and I see something shiny down by the head tube. The keys were there, caught between the head tube and a wiring harness. Talk about luck. Now to buy that lanyard.....

Why not start the bike then put the keys back in your pocket? I lost the key to my NSR once after they got shook out do to worn teeth, but found it, thought a bug hit me while driving, but ended up being my key.

Why not start the bike then put the keys back in your pocket? I lost the key to my NSR once after they got shook out do to worn teeth, but found it, thought a bug hit me while driving, but ended up being my key.

I've been doing that on longer rides, but not around town until now. Even got a lanyard now so they won't fall out of my pocket. Naboo has the obvious suggestion on replacing the ignition key unit. Next time it goes in for service, will do it.

Wonder if you have to buy the whole key set to change it? I think there are aftermarket security keys you can buy that may be cheaper if the whole OEM set is required. I've been meaning to change over to the key guard lock myself since i have an older model without the key hole slide. But i have to buy the entire top triple clamp. :(