I Bought A Chevy Captiva 2012, Comparing It To My Honda Accord

oakweb

I have been driving my Captiva now for about a week in Pattaya, and I like it so far. Here is the breakdown, in case

anyone was considering getting one. I also own a 2010 Honda Accord, so I'll compare it to that.

Suspension - The Captiva is great for all the crumbling roads and potholes in Pattaya, you will cruise right over them

without a hard jar or jolt in the car. In comparison my Honda I spend a great deal of time making sure I don't hit a bump

here or there. Really for driving in Pattaya, you need either a SUV or a truck. The roads just suck here too much.

Engine - No problem for power and they even have an Eco button, usually I drive with Eco on and I'm able to pass cars

without a worry. My Honda is a bit faster, but not that much.

Interior - Some things bug me, like the compartment on the top of the dash. It's just large enough for my hand phone to

come in and never come out. The middle console is smaller than my Honda, but the side compartments seem larger. There is

a nice slot for cards, parking cards I guess. Never seen that before, I use it all the time. Must be an Asia only thing.

Driver side seat has power, passenger no. Comfortability seems to be close to my Honda Accord, but the Honda has passenger

and driver power seats. Honda has lumbar adjustment too, Chevy does not.

Blue Tooth - Here's the bummer for me so far. For some reason my Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s can't pair up properly at all with the Chevy.

It's too bad too, since Chevy does Blue Tooth Audio and Phone. I tried my Android phone and it worked fine for Bluetooth Audio but failed

when I tried to call someone. I could hear them but they could not hear me.

In my Honda by comparison, I'm able to make hands free calls and receive them on all my phones. But the Honda does not have

Bluetooth Audio, so if you want to play tunes from your Iphone you have to get something aftermarket to do it.

So for now I go into the car with my Android and play by Podcasts and Music from it. No hands free calling, hoping they will

fix this and I'd love to hear from other Thaivisa members if they have theirs working.

Backup Camera - I love my backup camera in my Honda, it's saved my butt on more than just a couple occasions. It baffles me

to no end why Chevy on the top of the line Captiva with Navi they would leave out a backup camera. Seems like most vehicles

have this now that are 1.5million or more. Now I have to go check for an aftermarket solution.. which sucks. The sensors work

ok, but I miss the camera.

If I had a choice and I had to choose between the two, I'd get the Chevy. The roads around Pattaya are just too rough for

anything but a nice hefty SUV for day to day use. That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the candid and detailed review!

I completely see the point of comparing the two - they're both in the same sort of price range, and there's a very limited amount of options in TH at that price point, so you may as well explore them all IMHO ;)

One thing I do have to mention though is ride quality - the Accord is pretty average on this front, even on better roads - so I'd say that If comparing the Captiva to a Camry or Teana, the balance might swing to their favor, except for gaping potholes perhaps ;)

How would you compare the two on road noise levels? The Accord has never been very fantastic on this front either, so I'd be surprised if the Captiva didn't do a better job here too.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Im lost as well as KBB . You can compare the Accord with a Camrey , but its like comparing a Sports Bike ,with a Harley to me .coffee1.gif

I think the main point came across well, Thai's roads are terrible, drive a SUV.

Personal Choice , i enjoy both .If youre like my Wife she doest go round potholes, so there's not much difference , the Accord takes it O.K. angry.gif

Im lost as well as KBB . You can compare the Accord with a Camrey , but its like comparing a Sports Bike ,with a Harley to me .coffee1.gif

I think the main point came across well, Thai's roads are terrible, drive a SUV.

March 2008 I took delivery of an Accord 2,4. We also had a Vigo 4x4 auto 4 door and a yaris.

Accord did 70k km in a year, mainly highway hua hin-phuket, usually with 2 or 4 onboard. excellent car for that price and purpose. better than the 2007 Camry 2,4 it replaced

at that time Vigo did not have brakes to do the same job.

Now I find the best pickups good enough to do high speed highways, safety has improved, so has equipment level, so no need for car

Thanks a lot for this review, Definately invaluable for people considering the new captiva, Whilst many reviews may have a faceoffs between competitor offerings within same segment, I feel a larger sedan like the accord and the captiva crossover type suv would answer the same core needs of spacious transport for 4 people and cramped for 5! I definately need to adjust my driving when using a sedan because of potholes especially when im driving unfamiliar roads, in a vehicle like the captiva you can definately relax knowing you may just need allignment. Heavy rains always reveal the shoddy re-re-recontracted pothole repair work on backroads in patters,

Shame theres no rearview camera on the navi, the new ford focus self parking system looked pretty great in reviews especially for its class, so youd expect the captiva navi edition to have a cam. Aftermarket solutions definately easy to come by, i have a rearview mirror one i bought on ebay. I know some will say its a rebadged daewoo, but the new revision on the captiva was a noticeble improvement inside and out, I like the diesel powerplant option offered on the captiva, and looking foward to confirmation on the escape sharring the the focus tdci though at 2litre it may be as uninspiring as the old 2.3 petrol engine.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride

I completely see the point of comparing the two - they're both in the same sort of price range, and there's a very limited amount of options in TH at that price point, so you may as well explore them all IMHO ;)

One thing I do have to mention though is ride quality - the Accord is pretty average on this front, even on better roads - so I'd say that If comparing the Captiva to a Camry or Teana, the balance might swing to their favor, except for gaping potholes perhaps ;)

How would you compare the two on road noise levels? The Accord has never been very fantastic on this front either, so I'd be surprised if the Captiva didn't do a better job here too.

I can see why some people think it's odd to compare the two, but they are both in the price range and really our options are so limited I felt this kind of comparison was worth while.

As far as road noise levels, I'd say they are pretty much the same. The Honda has a nice feature that will auto adjust the stereo level as the interior noise rises. Chevy stereo lacks this, and as far as stereo quality goes Honda beats Chevy but not by much.

Gas mileage so far seems to be about the same, with a advantage going to the Chevy since they have that Eco mode.

Another thing about the ride I like on the Chevy is the height, in the Honda you sit lower. I really like having some height, makes driving a bit safer.

Digitalbanana has it right, really for Pattaya driving.. or even Bangkok, the roads just suck so bad you should not even consider anything but a SUV or a truck. When I see the locals driving around in lowered cars, I just have to shake my head.

I can see why some people think it's odd to compare the two, but they are both in the price range and really our options are so limited I felt this kind of comparison was worth while.

As far as road noise levels, I'd say they are pretty much the same. The Honda has a nice feature that will auto adjust the stereo level as the interior noise rises. Chevy stereo lacks this, and as far as stereo quality goes Honda beats Chevy but not by much.

Gas mileage so far seems to be about the same, with a advantage going to the Chevy since they have that Eco mode.

Another thing about the ride I like on the Chevy is the height, in the Honda you sit lower. I really like having some height, makes driving a bit safer.

Digitalbanana has it right, really for Pattaya driving.. or even Bangkok, the roads just suck so bad you should not even consider anything but a SUV or a truck. When I see the locals driving around in lowered cars, I just have to shake my head.

You cant be English and moan about the Roads here. There is no need for an SUV here unless you like them. I use both Car and Truck , never find them any different if you look at where your going. A Truck Rides rough anyway , so is a MOO or Everest i find, just the ride gives you a sense of false security imo.biggrin.gif

Thank for the interesting review! Enjoy your rides. Just wondering what tempted you away from the CR-V, as you had a Honda

Giday Mate, it called Pussy Whipped in the World. It just aint flash enough .PlusThe Wipers are that Small only 10 of the Wenches relations can hang on till it gets to Big C .burp.gif

Thank for the interesting review! Enjoy your rides. Just wondering what tempted you away from the CR-V, as you had a Honda

You need to be 'tempted' away from that ugly thing?

LOL, J/K :D

Saw the picture of the new one today ..........Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear

Test drove the new diesel Captiva today. It was 2.0 engine, with if I am correct 163bhp and 260NM. It was no slouch from start and overtaking. Ride was good, interior was acceptable but what I liked were the 6 airbags, Traction Control and AWD. A 2.2L engine would have been sweeter for the 1.7M price tag for LTZ (but I believe this was to avoid excise duties for >2.0 engines.) The 1.6M Benzene model was already pushing the limits of my affordability. I tried to negotiate 3M, Road Tax and Insurance but they would not throw in Insurance. So that puts me back into the PJS camp but delivery won't be until January. Have fun with your Captiva.