Retail Location For Lightning Rods Cable/Parts?

beechstreet

There are a couple discussions that cover the merits (or futility) of lightning rod systems. But I am specifically looking for a retail location that sells the parts, my electrician is willing to install the equipment if I supply the materials. I have a steel house with a steel roof so I would be needing aluminum conductor cable and the associated aluminum parts.

Anyone know of a source for parts/cable etc?

Thanks!

Edited by Crossy
Fixed thread title

Every time I visit a hardware/builders supply store I have a good look around to see what they have. Almost all of them have had lightning rods, cable and the hardware to connect the various components. If they don't have what you need in stock they will usually order the parts. Or, just go to the next store close by.

I'm surprised your "electrician" hasn't told you this. Then, again, maybe I'm not...

Edited by cloghead

All you need to do is earth the steelwork in the building, then equipotentially bond any extraneous conductive parts to the main earth. You will need a main earth conductor and electrode.

Fit SPDs on the main switch board and connect these to the main earth.

Earthing for electrical safety should be your first consideration.

Suggestion: Can somebody (mods?) correct the thread title to read "Lightning Rods" instead of "Lighting Rods?" Someone doing a forum search for "lightning rods" on thread titles would not find this thread otherwise.

Suggestion: Can somebody (mods?) correct the thread title to read "Lightning Rods" instead of "Lighting Rods?" Someone doing a forum search for "lightning rods" on thread titles would not find this thread otherwise.

Fixed, didn't spot it before.

I'm not convinced that domestic properties really need lightning conductors per-se. Adding surge protection to your incoming supply and phone lines (with additional local surge suppressors on sensitive kit) and bonding all structural steel should be all the protection you need.