Pardon For Thaksin: Thai Govt Takes Dangerous Path

webfact

I personally like Mr. Thaksin, it was under his leadership Thailand looked to be going forward with a lot of farangs ploughing money into Thailand, i know for a fact the tourism industry went through a 'Boom' time whilst he was in power and i was never short of work here (i work within the travel and tourism industry) but now for the past 3/4 years i have struggled to find any work, and tourism no matter which figures you read, is definitely down and i mean way down !

So Thaksin was slightly corrupt....erm excuse me, but which government is not? Someone on TV.com quoted 'he stole the Thai's money' isn't that what all governments do?

I for one look forward to his return to his beloved country, it wasn't so long ago he returned to an absolute heroes welcome with the media and the people cheering him as he walked out of the airport? it was live on most tv channels here as well.

Good luck Thailand **Comments removed**

Ahh..yes tourism is down, but not due to any government, do you know there is a little thing going on outside of Thailand called an economic crash, meaning nobody has money to go on holiday, has nothing to do with Taksin (that I know of, maybe he caused the crash). Do you even remember when Taskin was in rule, he was cracking down on visa's, he was making things harder for expats to stay and work here, he did not let the press report freely. The last government set up a program for free visa's to Thailand to help promote tourism, do you really think Taksin would have done that, no way. The only tourists he wants in Thailand is high dollar millionaires. Take some time and really think about how things were when is was running things and the state of the world not just Thailand before you decide if it was really him or just the economic good times of the world. The does not like expats.. If you could he would close Thailand to all expats and just take out money. His supporters talk about all the good he did, free health, money to farmers, rice scheme. None of these things really worked, the hospitals are broke, the rice scheme did not help the farmers only the mills and the govt lost allot of money. check into the things.

Thaksin never give something for free. I see it every year again. His party gif the farmers every year a loan for start again to work on theirs farms but the have to gif back that loan every single year. If the cane not pay the take everything from these peoples also their houses. This was same when Thaksin was in power. I no that mine wife like Thaksin and I understand this because she doesn’t know better.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if TS was pardoned it would be the first time in history a person actively on the run from authorities would be pardoned. That's simply not how it's ever worked..in any country. But TIT!!

Finally a regional hub they can be really proud of...:whistling:

+ 2

I feel that it is none of us foreigners business what happens to the former PM. Apparently the people want him, and for sure he is highly thought of in the outlying provinces. As another poster mentioned, business was booming under his leadership. My only fear about his return is will foreigners be screwed, since it might be payback for so many countries denying him a visa.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font size.

I fear that another military coup will be on the near horizon again. A deep division will come between both factions, one that will not be able to be repaired.

Coup is not easy this time. Because police can counter-army coup. Police have guns too. And who runs Police?

I feel that it is none of us foreigners business what happens to the former PM. Apparently the people want him, and for sure he is highly thought of in the outlying provinces. As another poster mentioned, business was booming under his leadership. My only fear about his return is will foreigners be screwed, since it might be payback for so many countries denying him a visa.

If you live in Thailand is sure as hell is your business.

If they go so far as to start a civil war over him I would not imagine thinking.

Oh it's none of my business as long as they don't burn my home down.

Get real.

Business was booming in all of Asia durning the tome, but not from HIS doing.

In fact he was a Deputy in the government that CAUSED the Asian Tiger Economic Crash.

He won't go after foreigners because their home countries denied him a visa,

But he might if he thinks he can make money on their fear,

and that fear makes him more powerful.

I rather let all others murderers and rapist in Thailand walk free than to see this man return to Thailand.

After all those money he stole from us Thais.

I would dare t o disagree, Since I am in thailand (12 years in january 2012); I do have witnessed only 3 (three) personns take care of the lumpen proletariat / grass root/ little people / poor peasant.

I believe 2 of them might not be named here, but I am sure you know who they are (a father and his daughter; both of them hightly revered by thai people and for good reasons); the third being Taksin.

Those who may fear Taksin return are more people such as me : expatriate working here for a salary worth 10 times the salary of our thais collegues; a so call thai elite who in fact are only greedy familly (as much greedy and as much corrupt as Taksin itself) and a part of the 'informal' economy; as Taksin have alway try to control it the way he tried to control the real economy.

Taksin is the man who tried to give some dignity back to the country, by closing all the brothels at 1 am (oooooooooooooooooop, I do beg your forgiveness, there are no brothels, neither there is prostitution in thailand); he is the guy who promoted (if not invented) OTOP; he is the guy who tried to promote familly tourist (instead of the usal acoholic / sex tourism as promoted and controlled by P******olice ou by A***************rmy.

So , ye he is a bastard, yes such an individual should never ever reach position of power; but he is not the Devil; the Devil would be more those who spit on the face of the little people; those who dared to let Issaan flooded for months, but did nto accept that Krungthep may be a littel bit wet (for example).

Last, that is a forum targeting foreigners, so the moaning of the thai so call educated elite who can stop to cry about the good old time are quite unbearable; Taksin did not stole more than other politicians did , maybe even less than other business men did. I would suggest you to learn history, check the national acounting for the last 30 years, and come back to us to subtentiate your affirmations (if not , aren't they close to be considered as libel, and so beware the legal actions!)

By the way, being an expatriate, I do not do politic, and do not care much who Thai people choose as their leader or their PM. Being French, there is enought problems in my own country with the political men/women (DSL/ Sarkosi/Le PEn familly......); I just try to tell what I do witnessed during my long stay in that country (mean I do not support nor do I am repusled by any Thai political personns, including the TaxSin).

I agree with this point of view.

And you forget that he paid for a lot of roadconstruction in the norht either.

a special corruption force would have to be formed. But as all politicians (maybe except one) are corrupt, it is hard to see, how Thailand will ever get a government, who are willing to fight corruption. Abhisit claimed to be willing to fight corruption, but could not do it alone. The poor people, the voters for the Pheua Thai party, do not understand, that when they don´t mind politicians being corrupt, they will never get at better life. Fighting corruption is the only way to get a better life for these people, as corruption basicly is rich people stealing loads of money, that could have been used for benefit of the poor people.

That's a rather whimsical way of looking at things. More accurately, it's a return on investment. The poor people are the product of a grand process. An endless rolling cycle with consistent generational paydays.

You can't underestimate the amount of effort and time spent drilling at the lowest common denominator. The people are stupid, yes - though it's hardly an accident. I'm led to believe the media deserves the majority of the kudos. They have a telling habit of dictating the conversation; and it's mostly baby-talk and gibberish from what I can tell. But I'm not fluent in either so...

As for Thaksin, well...you can't have your democrazy and expect it not to turned into a farce. The only powers capable of reining in the chaos are the mass media, and I understand from common sense that only an idiotic politician wouldn't stash away a few billion for some media rain.

An idiotic politician...or an honest one, I suppose.

But that idealistic joker former PM rolled the dice on Thailand's poor, and crapped out in hilarious fashion. They don't care about their children. They wanted the rich guy to build a wall around Bangkok and make everyone too wealthy to work and stuff. You can't really feel sorry for them. For their children? Maybe. But then who cares about those jokers, am I right.

It's not like Thaksin is going to be Pol Pot. There's no money in the rural sector, so Thailand's academics are safe (they were probably safe anyway, judging by their quotes in the print media). The worst that could happen would be Thailand getting into some uncomfortable debt, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. Not when you have a child workforce, who long to please.

Silly kids don't even have votes to sell. morons.

I rather let all others murderers and rapist in Thailand walk free than to see this man return to Thailand.

...because THAT is all that matter, right?! Money! TIT!

OK, I understand, BUT... maybe you will enlighten us which former PM or other politican hasnt steel any money from Thaipeople?

What hast changed in the years with Khun Abhisit? are there free shools? Free health care for Thais? (visit an Emergency room at 2 o clock in the morning, where 1 24year old woman doc is playing with her telephone instead taking care for the 30 (Phuket) older and younger patients waiting for a doc )

We all know Khun Thaksin is not the best solution for Thailand but he is by far not the worst!

Enlighten you? How would this be possible? You obviously already have a problem to understand that neither former PM's or politician or playful doctors on Phuket island have anything to do with this!

I fear that another military coup will be on the near horizon again. A deep division will come between both factions, one that will not be able to be repaired.

Coup is not easy this time. Because police can counter-army coup. Police have guns too. And who runs Police?

It s really improbable that a coup qill occur soon. The US army has strongly spoke about this and do not want to see another coup.

And yes the US army has a lot of power amongst the thai army

It s really improbable that a coup qill occur soon. The US army has strongly spoke about this and do not want to see another coup.

And yes the US army has a lot of power amongst the thai army

And the source for this ?....the US army would not comment along these lines anyway ...:huh:

where were the US army the last time ...see they were listened to then...

I personally like Mr. Thaksin, it was under his leadership Thailand looked to be going forward with a lot of farangs ploughing money into Thailand, i know for a fact the tourism industry went through a 'Boom' time whilst he was in power and i was never short of work here (i work within the travel and tourism industry) but now for the past 3/4 years i have struggled to find any work, and tourism no matter which figures you read, is definitely down and i mean way down !

So Thaksin was slightly corrupt....erm excuse me, but which government is not? Someone on TV.com quoted 'he stole the Thai's money' isn't that what all governments do?

I for one look forward to his return to his beloved country, it wasn't so long ago he returned to an absolute heroes welcome with the media and the people cheering him as he walked out of the airport? it was live on most tv channels here as well.

Good luck Thailand**Comments removed**

Many people liked Hitler too, and Thaksin's evil goes far beyond being slightly corrupt. If you actually like him it is only because you don't know who and what he truly is. I urge you to reconsider your position.

im sorry but to liken Thaksin to Hitler...?? well i would seriously consider seeing a shrink after such a comment.

Hitler and his crew, killed thousands/millions of innocent men, women and children! Thaksin got the Thai industry and country moving again.....killing how many people????

Come on chap !

thaksin was responsible for his "war on drugs" and thousands died as a result of it.

Said it before: comparing Thaksin to Hitler, doesn't make the crimes of Thaksin bigger...it makes those of Hitler smaller. And that shouldn't happen!

Thailands finest dont have tanks/personel carriers/attack helicopters etc etc do they ?...BiB peashooters and 125cc Motocy's....:rolleyes:

Why does bringing a knife to a gunfight spring to mind when I read this post....:D

Edited by Soutpeel

OK, I understand, BUT... maybe you will enlighten us which former PM or other politican hasnt steel any money from Thaipeople?

What hast changed in the years with Khun Abhisit? are there free shools? Free health care for Thais? (visit an Emergency room at 2 o clock in the morning, where 1 24year old woman doc is playing with her telephone instead taking care for the 30 (Phuket) older and younger patients waiting for a doc )

We all know Khun Thaksin is not the best solution for Thailand but he is by far not the worst!

Enlighten you? How would this be possible? You obviously already have a problem to understand that neither former PM's or politician or playful doctors on Phuket island have anything to do with this!

HEY! Everyone forget this man had UNLAWFUL killed more than 2000 People in his war on drugs and made fire from unrest to civil war in the south!,! THIS MAN IS A CRIMINAL! He is persona non grata in many countries. I STAY WITH THE FACTS: HAVING MORE THAN 2000 People killed IS MASSMURDER! Free school and healhtcare.....s what. HITLER WAS ALSO ELECTED AND PROVIDED FREE HEALTHCARE! Wake up! This man is a big danger for Thailands future.

HEY! Everyone forget this man had UNLAWFUL killed more than 2000 People in his war on drugs and made fire from unrest to civil war in the south!,! THIS MAN IS A CRIMINAL! He is persona non grata in many countries. I STAY WITH THE FACTS: HAVING MORE THAN 2000 People killed IS MASSMURDER! Free school and healhtcare.....s what. HITLER WAS ALSO ELECTED AND PROVIDED FREE HEALTHCARE! Wake up! This man is a big danger for Thailands future.

STOP SHOUTING...we can hear you...... "unlawful killing" a PC term for murder...

I get the impression that most non Thais dont think to much of Thaksin. Is that because of him or because it looks like he is trying to circumvent the legal system through his friends in the Government or they just dont like him?

The thais voted for this current governing outfit, they surely knew that at some time the ex Manchester City owner may like to come home to die in his homeland and how would they handle this and when. The speed of events has been surprising I think even to Thais. Is this to take the mind of the floods possibly?

The fact that Thailand is his country, alone, is enough to justify Thaksin's desire to return.

Personally, I think his going into exile was a mistake. He should have gone and sat out his two years in prison, then it would be a resolved issue. Going into exile only compounded his so-called 'crimes' ie, now he's a fugitive.

Had he swallowed his pride and had some foresight, all that would be behind him now and he could walk the streets a free man. He may never be able to do that now, even with a pardon.

The problem with that scenario would have been that, as a prisoner, he wouldn't have been able to avoid trials for the various other crimes he is accused of.

Also as someone that has been convicted he wouldn't be disqualified to run for MP (and thus PM) again. I think that's the main reason he is so adamant about spending even a single day in jail; he then would need to go about all the hassle of changing laws for his own benefit again.

There is a reason why the police dissapper during coups. The Royal Thai police have about 200,000 officers country wide that undergo very little training before posting. They have small to medium caliber handguns and dozens of SWAT trained officers armed with various long guns (rifles) and several lightly armored vehicles.

The Thai armed forces number approximately half a million and continually train often alongside western military's. They ALL have long guns, battle tanks, combat helicopters, fighter jets, war ships, submarines etc. Almost like a modern army. :)

im sorry but to liken Thaksin to Hitler...?? well i would seriously consider seeing a shrink after such a comment.

Hitler and his crew, killed thousands/millions of innocent men, women and children! Thaksin got the Thai industry and country moving again.....killing how many people????

Come on chap !

thaksin was responsible for his "war on drugs" and thousands died as a result of it.

yeah but what you have to understand is, those junkies were gonna die anyway. For some, it was likely an ironic mercy.

The really merciful thing to do would be to not have any junkies. Of course, they wouldn't need "mercy" then. And there's the catch.

But then there's no money in medication. Lots of money in poison.

It would be great if DocN was a Doctor of Psychiatry, cause...well, those physicians ban the meds. But I suspect Brain Scientists don't call themselves "shrinks". Kind of ironic, cause...I wouldn't refer to them so generously as that. I can think of some other labels, that make "shrink" seem almost...affectionate.

As for Hitler...well, Sophie actually made her choice a decade prior. I don't think her children deserved to die for it. I don't think I like how everyone ignores the fact that she most certainly did. But then I'm weird like that about children dying for their parents' racist beliefs...

"For some reason the tune 'there may be trouble ahead' keeps ringing through my mind."

Many farangs hold that perspective. Recently, there were posts complaining about the lack of both beer and potato chips, and it's enlightening to read what farangs are really concerned about. Many farangs believe that Taksin should be forced to return to Thailand and stand trial. That would be similar to throwing gasoline on a fire and, apparently, farangs are OK with that. No matter what the decree reads, and all of the meetings, secret or not, it's up to the King to (not) sign the decree. Let's assume he knows what's better for the Kingdom than we do.

What happens if the pardon is not agreed to by Royal decree?

As far as I understand Thai law, Thaksin is not elegible for this pardon. He is not in jail and ran away. This NORMALLY disqualifies him . But ........who knows in LOS, or better LOM(LAND OF MONEY) everything can be MADE possible.

Edited by BinDhumm

There is a reason why the police dissapper during coups. The Royal Thai police have about 200,000 officers country wide that undergo very little training before posting. They have small to medium caliber handguns and dozens of SWAT trained officers armed with various long guns (rifles) and several lightly armored vehicles.

The Thai armed forces number approximately half a million and continually train often alongside western military's. They ALL have long guns, battle tanks, combat helicopters, fighter jets, war ships, submarines etc. Almost like a modern army. :)

The other side of the coin is that it is mainly a conscript army and is rather top heavy with generals. Though they have trained alongside other western militaries they are worlds apart from many and have almost no experience in dealing with a hostile local population - well very few positive experiences anyway. Like a modern army they are geared up for military action against enemy forces but this is a far cry from the domestic policing that they would need to perform if things do get nasty. At least they will get to use their submarines in Bangkok now.

Come on chap !

yeah but what you have to understand is, those junkies were gonna die anyway. For some, it was likely an ironic mercy.

The really merciful thing to do would be to not have any junkies. Of course, they wouldn't need "mercy" then. And there's the catch.

It would be great if DocN was a Doctor of Psychiatry, cause...well, those physicians ban the meds. But I suspect Brain Scientists don't call themselves "shrinks". Kind of ironic, cause...I wouldn't refer to them so generously as that. I can think of some other labels, that make "shrink" seem almost...affectionate.

As for Hitler...well, Sophie actually made her choice a decade prior. I don't think her children deserved to die for it. I don't think I like how everyone ignores the fact that she most certainly did. But then I'm weird like that about children dying for their parents' racist beliefs...

Above is NOT my quote!

The other side of the coin is that it is mainly a conscript army and is rather top heavy with generals. Though they have trained alongside other western militaries they are worlds apart from many and have almost no experience in dealing with a hostile local population - well very few positive experiences anyway. Like a modern army they are geared up for military action against enemy forces but this is a far cry from the domestic policing that they would need to perform if things do get nasty. At least they will get to use their submarines in Bangkok now.

When it comes to a firefight

the cops will run and the army will win.

When it comes to a firefight

the cops will run and the army will win.

If it comes to a firefight there will be no winners :(

Come on chap !

Above is NOT my quote!

Whatever you are smoking,taking or drinking, dude, you should better stop doing this.