Boy Turned 14 Years Big Problem With Visa

My boy turned 14 years old two weeks ago, we did not expect a big problem with this as we have been living in Thailand as a family for 6 years now.

My husband is on a retirement visa and I am on a non-immigrant B visa and we thought as long as he had a valid visa he would be able to hook on to one of our visas - WRONG.

I went to Penang with him so that he had a valid tourist visa but when we have been to immigration this is not good enough and now they want him to fly out and get a 3 month non- immigrant O visa. We have been everywhere to try and resolve this but we get the same answer so it must be so.

my question is where is the best and cheap place to get this non-immigrant O visa he now needs?

He does not go to school here so and ED visa is not possible.

You are not wrong, but got the wrong visa for him. On a non-O it will be no problem and he can stay in Thailand as the dependent of one of you till he turns 21. That is provided you are not on a visa entry but o yearly extensions of stay from immigration.

You do not state which immigraiton office this is, but he might be able to convert his tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa at immigration in Bangkok. For that one of the parents must be on a 1 year extension of stay. You might want to contact immirgaiton in BKK if they will do this and what docuemtns they will need.

If not, a trip abroad to apply for a non-O visa will be required. For this he will need to show proof that one of the parents is staying in Thailand on a 1 year extension of stay. Inessence a copy of one of the parents passports and maybe birth certificate to show relationship.

I do not believe conversion can be made for dependent status - a non immigrant O visa is required and that can be obtained from a Consulate with show of relationship and parent on one year extension of stay in Thailand (copy of there passport/extension of stay stamp). Once that is obtained he can visit immigration to obtain matching extension of parent.