Thai Airways Cancels More Than 500 Flights In Flood Aftermath

george

Pattaya is very quiet right now, seems like the Bangkok crowd have mostly gone home. Walking street looks like it did when the airport was closed a couple of years ago.

Had a good look round last night, the only bar that had a good crowd was The Blues Factory, the rest were dead, I have never seen the go-go's so empty at this time of year.

if that's true, it'll be sad. I'm going there this weekend for the first time in the last few years.

Sorry, it was not meant to be scare mongering, its still vibrant, and probably you will be better off, less traffic. I really meant its quiet for high season

It will be a buyers market for all those things

from food to personal company that punters got to Pattaya for.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High season is toast yet again.

Huge losses in the tourist sector of course.

The toursim minister seems to reach a new low in the clueless abyss.

Thaksin, his acolytes or enemies have managed to subtract and squander and amazing amount of gross national income in just a few short years fighting over, or working at, his manipulations to re-grab power.

And before anyone starts saying what does this seasons loses have to do with Thaksin; His handpicked crew is running the show, and one of his coalition partners has admitted telling them in August not to release water from the dams.

Which has resulted in :

way too much being released in far to short a time...

Resulting in these floods.

And the inability of the government to control the situation.

The Agri minister was in the job before, but no horrendous floods,

then the new bosses come into power, he didn't just decide this without prompting from above. Who hand picked who is running the show?

That Kuhn T. of course.

The 'man of the people' has put more 'people' out of work than any 5

national leaders in Thailands history. And the repercussions are being felt world wide in a dozen industries.

Well said!

Flood = BAD, we all agree. Problems, sure, we all agree.

But coping with the b**ls**t from THAI officials is just too much.

Just a small hint:

Flying 20.12. to Amsterdam return 07.01. to BKK standard Economy class, cheap cheap

EVA Air 29.500 Baht

Turkish 36.400 Baht

Emirates 44.000 Baht

THAI 158.000 Baht

enough siad...

TOURISM & Lack thereof reasons.

1) Flooding

2) World Economy is in the pits

3) Strong Thai baht vs. Euro/Pound/Dollar

4) Every growing number of websites that tell about tuk-tuk, taxi mafia scams, robberies/beatings of foreigners of no one ever arrested.

5) Totally corrupt police, who really have no right to even call themselves that.

Now FYI. Wife has a friend who works for Tourism Dept. Here's how they count.

1) Everyone who passes through Customs at Swampy, or any other airport, with a foreign passport, even though they are merely IN TRANSIT, is counted.

2) Every border runner is counted every time he comes back in.

3) Weekends there are buses from Malaysia who bring Malaysians to LOS for a day of shopping. They all get counted.

Talk about "manipulation of numbers".

:whistling:

As for Thai Airways? Overpriced, lousy service, out of date planes.

Just a small hint:

Flying 20.12. to Amsterdam return 07.01. to BKK standard Economy class, cheap cheap

EVA Air 29.500 Baht

Turkish 36.400 Baht

Emirates 44.000 Baht

THAI 158.000 Baht

enough siad...

Try the EVA Emerald Class. Only a few baht more, but WELL WORTH it. That's the ONLY way I will fly.

Just a small hint:

EVA Air 29.500 Baht

Turkish 36.400 Baht

Emirates 44.000 Baht

THAI 158.000 Baht

enough siad...

I thought price gouging was/is against the rules.

Or is this the way to compensate the fleeing of the "honorable" - govt? - coming soon I guess ...

Edited by elcent

I've always like the Three Ds...

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Once a place has one or more of these going for it, then it's time good time to VISIT, when tourism is down, things are cheaper, not so many other tourists around...

MAKES for a GREAT time of a HOLIDAY THERE in my book!

You havent been here long, have you. Inspite of other countries, the prices in Thailand usually go UP if there are less tourists, and the fish stays on the ice until it stinks. The thai smile disapears as well. Maybe the rooms become cheaper. Thats it.

The National Anti Corruption Commission is to launch a graft probe against Transport permanent secretary Supoj Saplom on suspicion of unusual wealth, NACC member Klanarong Chantik said on Friday.

The probe is in connection with the testimonies of two burglar suspects who confessed to stealing Bt200 million in cash after breaking into Supoj's home, Klanarong said.

He said the probe would focus on three issues - whether Supoj filed false asset statement, whether he stashed ill-gotten gains and whether he was involved in irregularities.

Reacting to the probe, Supoj said he was smeared by the burglar suspects who claimed he might have hidden as mush as Bt1 billion at his home.

The Nation

... looting the country and price gouging continued. This could well be money laundering money. It's unveiling from all sides now. Stay tuned.

Edited by elcent

1) Flooding

4) Every growing number of websites that tell about tuk-tuk, taxi mafia scams, robberies/beatings of foreigners of no one ever arrested.

5) Totally corrupt police, who really have no right to even call themselves that.

1) Everyone who passes through Customs at Swampy, or any other airport, with a foreign passport, even though they are merely IN TRANSIT, is counted.

3) Weekends there are buses from Malaysia who bring Malaysians to LOS for a day of shopping. They all get counted.

And add in- arrogant and bordering on rude hostesses who wrongly presume every male is slavering over their amazing beauty.:bah:

Thaksin, his acolytes or enemies have managed to subtract and squander and amazing amount of gross national income in just a few short years fighting over, or working at, his manipulations to re-grab power.

And before anyone starts saying what does this seasons loses have to do with Thaksin; His handpicked crew is running the show, and one of his coalition partners has admitted telling them in August not to release water from the dams.

Which has resulted in :

then the new bosses come into power, he didn't just decide this without prompting from above. Who hand picked who is running the show?

That Kuhn T. of course.

national leaders in Thailands history. And the repercussions are being felt world wide in a dozen industries.

You nailed it,mate ! !

What I am having problems with is: if you can figure this out and if I can figure this out, then <deleted> and WTH (Why The Hell) can the people of Thailand not figure this out ? ? ? ? ?

Such a sad state of affairs (literary !)

JGK/Jomtien

That is because there are toooo many STUPID people in government here...Get this...I went to Thai Air on the 16th...I asked for a one way tick to Cambodia...I hand the woman my passport...She says..."sorry, I can't give you a one way tick unless you have a WORK PERMIT..." I say...But I live in Cambodia and my Thia visa runs out on the 23rd of Nov. and I must leave....Read the F'ing passport...I am retired and I do not work any more...She insists three times that I need a work permit to go back to Cambo...So...as you might have guessed by now I say " F'U" and go to Asia Air...I say ..."I need a one way tick to Cambodia..." I hand over my passport to the counter person...I ask..."do I need a round trip tick...?" He says in his best English..."not unless you wish to return"... I say...."great..."He says..."when would you like to leave..."? I say..."8:30 Tuesday AM..." The counter person says " Thank you sir for choosing Air Asia..." I am on my way back to Thai Air to tell the idiot from before that " BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE HER...HER COUNTRY WILL NEVER EXCEL BEYOND WHAT IT REALLY IS..." and I hold up my one way ticket to Cambodia...You can finish the rest...Just saying...They really are nothing more than a THIRD WORLD NATION...AND ALWAYS WILL BE...:bah::bah::bah: The only thing this shit hole has going for it is the women...The one and only problem is that they do not age very well...Look at there mothers...So get them while they are young and hot...Oh...and stay away from Thai Air...They just canceled 500 flights...G...Who is running a scam here...????

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Once a place has one or more of these going for it, then it's time good time to VISIT, when tourism is down, things are cheaper, not so many other tourists around...

Anywhere else in the world you are probably correct but unfortunately for US and the tourist who arrives at these times - Thai Physic is When Business is down (slow) Due to the three "D's" the best way to cover costs is PPU = Put Prices Up.

Edited by mijan24

A friend had a struggling bar so he instituted a late afternoon happy 2 hour with beers @ 2x wholesale prices. It became an expat tradition, usually around 20+, many hanging on into normal trading.

He goes home for a month, and his Thai missus jacks up all prices, happy hour prices now same as standard elsewhere, normal trading higher, because the bar wasn't making enough money in her opinion.:blink:

By the time he gets back the happy hour crowd has moved on, never to return.

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

You nailed it,mate ! !

What I am having problems with is: if you can figure this out and if I can figure this out, then <deleted> and WTH (Why The Hell) can the people of Thailand not figure this out ? ? ? ? ?

JGK/Jomtien

That is because there are toooo many STUPID people in government here...Get this...I went to Thai Air on the 16th...I asked for a one way tick to Cambodia...I hand the woman my passport...She says..."sorry, I can't give you a one way tick unless you have a WORK PERMIT..." I say...But I live in Cambodia and my Thia visa runs out on the 23rd of Nov. and I must leave....Read the F'ing passport...I am retired and I do not work any more...She insists three times that I need a work permit to go back to Cambo...So...as you might have guessed by now I say " F'U" and go to Asia Air...I say ..."I need a one way tick to Cambodia..." I hand over my passport to the counter person...I ask..."do I need a round trip tick...?" He says in his best English..."not unless you wish to return"... I say...."great..."He says..."when would you like to leave..."? I say..."8:30 Tuesday AM..." The counter person says " Thank you sir for choosing Air Asia..." I am on my way back to Thai Air to tell the idiot from before that " BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE HER...HER COUNTRY WILL NEVER EXCEL BEYOND WHAT IT REALLY IS..." and I hold up my one way ticket to Cambodia...You can finish the rest...Just saying...They really are nothing more than a THIRD WORLD NATION...AND ALWAYS WILL BE...:bah::bah::bah: The only thing this shit hole has going for it is the women...The one and only problem is that they do not age very well...Look at there mothers...So get them while they are young and hot...Oh...and stay away from Thai Air...They just canceled 500 flights...G...Who is running a scam here...????

Agree 100% . Bangkok air is even worse. Arrogant, overpriced and service below mentioning. Try to go from Samui to Phnom Penh by air is nearly the same price than a flight to Europe . There is no straight flight to Cambodia from Samui. They could loose some tourists OR win a lot for the Island. But arrogance rules. They simply do not want anyone to leave Samui, witch turned to a dusty, dirty, expensive shithole in the past 5 Years. I do live there since 9 Years and I know what I am talking about. Tropical paradise for the high end tourist!? Get lost!!!

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

The three D's eh, personally I've always liked the 8 P's ,prior preparation plus planning prevents piss poor performance :lol: :lol:

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Then it's good time to visit, things are cheaper??

In Thailand it usually has the opppsite affect. Everything goes up, especially for tourists. :whistling:

jb1

VERY TRUE-- TIT.

EVA has been randomly cancelling midweek flights between London and Bangkok during the low season for the best part of two years. Quite frustrating if you are affected.

I've been flying from London to Bangkok with EVA since they started the service and have never had a cancelled flight. But I mostly fly at weekends which could explain things. Might also explain why my flights are always jammed packed! Shall be flying again on Saturday week.

Good job the domestic from D Muang are going in, the numbers are including these.

money exchange rate=up to the government to change things there.

fuel prices are not increasing that much in fact they have dropped from 150 D a barrel to around 100. this is always a sick dog excuse.

Why are your domestic flights so high for return tickets ??? and your International ???r if posters check back they are higher now than when fuel prices were at a premium. Sorry you do not use riots and floods to convince me.

When are your new aircraft arriving ????.................looks like a good oportunity to scrap your old Jumbo's for a start, and get competitive, do not increase ticket prices as Thais always do when business is down =you lower them to attract customers, and keep staff employed and your reputation intact--ex passenger-member.:bah:

What!!! You must be crazy. You know that none of those very reasonable solutions is the Thai way. You must be a farang, you don't understand. :-)

EVA has been randomly cancelling midweek flights between London and Bangkok during the low season for the best part of two years. Quite frustrating if you are affected.

I've been flying from London to Bangkok with EVA since they started the service and have never had a cancelled flight. But I mostly fly at weekends which could explain things. Might also explain why my flights are always jammed packed! Shall be flying again on Saturday week.

Eva tend to cancel the Wednesday or Thursday flight as i've found out to my cost.

Thai Airways Reduces Flight Planes due to Drop in Passengers

The Thai Airways International Public Company reduced the number of airplane flights after the passengers cancelled their travels during flooding.

Thai Airways International Public Company cut more than 500 domestic and international flights due to a dramatic drop in passengers who remain uncertain about the flood crisis.

In addition to flight reduction, Thai Airways will downsize its airplane in correlation with the numbers of passengers in each flight.

The company will assess the situation on a daily basis.

The company will make sure that any changes made has minimal affect on passengers and hopes the situation would return to normal in December.

The flood crisis will have an extensive impact on the company's income this year, pointing out that the company normally earns a large amount of profit during the high season period.

Thai Airways has already lost around 4.8 billion baht in the first nine months due to money exchange rate fluctuations and an increase of fuel prices.

Airport of Thailand Public Company or AOT Manging Director, Anirut Thanomkulabutra said that six international airports nationwide experienced a 9 percent drop in passenger numbers when compared to last October.

As for the Suvarnabhumi Airport, the number of passengers went down from 130,000 to 100,000, while the numbers of flight reduced by 100 from 900 to 800.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-18

footer_n.gif

Absolute nonsense. TAT said tourism would go up due to floods.

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Anywhere else in the world you are probably correct but unfortunately for US and the tourist who arrives at these times - Thai Physic is When Business is down (slow) Due to the three "D's" the best way to cover costs is PPU = Put Prices Up.

You are beyond correct...Sad but true...Be well my friend...Ted.

Well said buddy but hey who give a F*** they still want him back cos' he will distribute more money to the poor, and the rich don't care it would be the middle class and the small business owner who will get done at the end...:annoyed: since his departure in 2006 every high season has been effected for the tourism business :bah: and 2011 is no different...<_<

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

1) Flooding

And add in- arrogant and bordering on rude hostesses who wrongly presume every male is slavering over their amazing beauty.:bah:

You guys must have just been dumped/cheated on by your Thai girlfriends when you boarded those Thai airways flights back to Farang-ville. Economy class in Thai airways has always provided me with exceptional customer service.

1) Flooding

You guys must have just been dumped/cheated on by your Thai girlfriends when you boarded those Thai airways flights back to Farang-ville. Economy class in Thai airways has always provided me with exceptional customer service.

Well i guess u not scandinavian :whistling:

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

You nailed it,mate ! !

What I am having problems with is: if you can figure this out and if I can figure this out, then &lt;deleted&gt; and WTH (Why The Hell) can the people of Thailand not figure this out ? ? ? ? ?

JGK/Jomtien

No wonder Farangs get a bad rap. This douche canoe needs to step on a Cambodian land mine

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Only you forget Thais do not follow that philosofy , as prices go up for drinks , even i saw in Tesco lotus big waterbottles who before cost 49 bath now for......119 bath , so forget the cheaper prices :D:whistling:

Edited by david555