Seeking A Good Development To Begin Retirement

eveningson

Hello All,

Sorry for butting in like this. My wife and I are newly retired in our fifties and have checked out lived in various areas of the world trying to find the right fit. So far not much luck. I am canadian born but a swiss citizen and we have looked in Spain, France, Canada and most recently in Mexico where we thought we had found the perfect place. I am still there and will be me oving directly from here as soon as my retirement visa comes through for thailand.

I have looked at most of the housing set out here on internet and have been struck by a few places that i like, but i just dont know them well enough. Since we will be leasing, probably for a year that seems required, my surface impressions are just not of the quality of someone who has seen and lived the area.

There are so many questions that I have that I have abandoned asking these. so what i want is a good gut impression influenced by your input. this is basically what i am looking for.

I dont want to live in a condo. call it claustrophobia or the smell of cooking in hallways. or maybe the places i lived in my student days.

I would want to find something in these places called moobans. these seem to be developments under a plan of some sorts. I would like this to be as close to the city as possible without losing its quiet singular feeling. I like to walk out for a coffee now and again or something to eat and not have to take a taxi everywhere since i dont drive, but i dont go out enough to hire a full time driver and car. I would like security as well and perhaps a gate. I am willing to pay up to 50 000 baht for this. is it possible to find a place for this price in a good development that is close to the city but not on the airport side.

i know this is asking a bit, but i really would like to know and would sincerely appreciate any comments, even snarky ones, for all answers help reveal what i want to know which is a sense of the ground and attitudes i have to take into account when i begin my search. we will likely be staying at the frangiani apartment hotel for the first bit but then would like to move into a house.

cheers and all and i am really looking forward to your comments.

garry.

I would think the best thing for you to do is find a rental apartment and take some time to look around before you leap into any long term arrangements. There are plenty of new build Moobaan's to chose from all around Chiang Mai and plenty of houses for rent. The fact that you don't drive does make life more difficult if you are looking around the area but there are many agents who will probably help you, or you could hire a mini-bus for the day and ask them to cruise all the Baan's. For the rent you are willing to pay you could live in a reasonable size mansion in this country! Many houses for rent in the 10-12,000 a month bracket.

I would think the best thing for you to do is find a rental apartment and take some time to look around before you leap into any long term arrangements. There are plenty of new build Moobaan's to chose from all around Chiang Mai and plenty of houses for rent. The fact that you don't drive does make life more difficult if you are looking around the area but there are many agents who will probably help you, or you could hire a mini-bus for the day and ask them to cruise all the Baan's. For the rent you are willing to pay you could live in a reasonable size mansion in this country! Many houses for rent in the 10-12,000 a month bracket.

Thank you for your pleasant reply. I have thought of doing this but my wife likes to jump right in to these things. You seem to think that it would be better to have a car then. I should think carefully of this since my main reason for not driving is a distrust of laws and drivers and all of the headache associated with car ownership, i.e. insurance, plates, accidents, police, and of course cost.

I am not a mansion type of person prefering modesty that disguises comfort on the inside with all of the mod cons, i.e. broadband, a stove with an oven, i like to cook you see, and preferably by what i have been reading about thailand, something not located in a flood plain. I noticuted that houses do not have central air and seem to prefer single units for each room. is this the norm. i imagine that heating bills are not an issue and i might want to get a dog as well. who doesnt mind waiting while i have my coffee and danish. I want to be enriched by the wonderful thai culture but i sort of like to keep my secret life going so to speak. I fortunately dont drink but do like the chat up with expats now and again.

cheers.

garry.

Thank you for your pleasant reply. I have thought of doing this but my wife likes to jump right in to these things. You seem to think that it would be better to have a car then. I should think carefully of this since my main reason for not driving is a distrust of laws and drivers and all of the headache associated with car ownership, i.e. insurance, plates, accidents, police, and of course cost.

I am not a mansion type of person prefering modesty that disguises comfort on the inside with all of the mod cons, i.e. broadband, a stove with an oven, i like to cook you see, and preferably by what i have been reading about thailand, something not located in a flood plain. I noticuted that houses do not have central air and seem to prefer single units for each room. is this the norm. i imagine that heating bills are not an issue and i might want to get a dog as well. who doesnt mind waiting while i have my coffee and danish. I want to be enriched by the wonderful thai culture but i sort of like to keep my secret life going so to speak. I fortunately dont drink but do like the chat up with expats now and again.

cheers.

garry.

oh, two more basic questions, is there any good fishing nearby and does the post office work. I have been in mexico for a couple of years and the postal system here does not really exist. i live in a city of a million people and there are two post offices i think. the main one downtown seems to be run by the same three elderly ladies that still like the stamps and anything i have sent out has never reached its destination. i have to use fedex which is horrendously expensive.

Agree 100% with Trainman except for his budget.I've lived in Chiangmai on and off for 3 years now but have to return to the UK on a regular basis on business.When I first arrived here people kept telling me that I could find a wonderful property for rent for 10 to 15 k and I now accept that I wasted so much time believing that. I have quite a nice house in the UK and had no intention of lowerng my standards when moving to Chiangmai.Long story short , I have a lovely 3 bed 3 bath 2 storey house in a gated , very quiet mooban about 6/7 k from the city centre.The modest sized garden s my pride and joy.The clubhouse with a lovely, rarely used pool ( other than by myself) is literally a 1 minute wak from my front gate.Opposite the entrance to the mooban is a 7/11 together with newly opened eat in/eat out thai cafe, both of which we use frequently.This costs me 36,000 month and I think its worth every baht. Yes, I expect to be terminally flamed for wasting my money/being ripped off by a Thai llandlord/agent/and personally inflating the entire housing market in Northern Thailand. but I personally could not live in the 12k baht/month homes other expats appear content in. IF you have a budget of 50 k baht then you WILL have a beautiful home in CM. IF you have a budget of 10k then you will of course not have the same standard and/or facilities. I fully accept that I am very fortunate in my lifestyle compared to some on this forum but I do feel that newcomers are sometimes given the wrong impression of the housing market in the area.Up to you !

Chiang Mai is not for everyone. Perhaps you should stay in a good hotel and ask around where the "good expats are" first.

I wonder what you mean by good expats. presumably one could make a dreadful mistake if one does not check out the neighbours as well. Having lived many years in switzerland i know the significance of the sort of neighbours one has. I have been on many a camp ground in spain as well and have experiences elderly travellers from bavaria as well. i would like to know this sort of information. i thank you most kindly for reminding me.

garry.

cheers.

garry.

oh, two more basic questions, is there any good fishing nearby and does the post office work. I have been in mexico for a couple of years and the postal system here does not really exist. i live in a city of a million people and there are two post offices i think. the main one downtown seems to be run by the same three elderly ladies that still like the stamps and anything i have sent out has never reached its destination. i have to use fedex which is horrendously expensive.

Freshwater (obviously) fishing is very popular here and the native snakehead is a ferocious quarry.Additionally there are lakes all over Thailand full of ostensibly South American species such as Arapaima,Redtail Catfish ,Shovelnose Cats etc Yu should have plenty of choice.

Agree 100% with Trainman except for his budget.I've lived in Chiangmai on and off for 3 years now but have to return to the UK on a regular basis on business.When I first arrived here people kept telling me that I could find a wonderful property for rent for 10 to 15 k and I now accept that I wasted so much time believing that. I have quite a nice house in the UK and had no intention of lowerng my standards when moving to Chiangmai.Long story short , I have a lovely 3 bed 3 bath 2 storey house in a gated , very quiet mooban about 6/7 k from the city centre.The modest sized garden s my pride and joy.The clubhouse with a lovely, rarely used pool ( other than by myself) is literally a 1 minute wak from my front gate.Opposite the entrance to the mooban is a 7/11 together with newly opened eat in/eat out thai cafe, both of which we use frequently.This costs me 36,000 month and I think its worth every baht. Yes, I expect to be terminally flamed for wasting my money/being ripped off by a Thai llandlord/agent/and personally inflating the entire housing market in Northern Thailand. but I personally could not live in the 12k baht/month homes other expats appear content in. IF you have a budget of 50 k baht then you WILL have a beautiful home in CM. IF you have a budget of 10k then you will of course not have the same standard and/or facilities. I fully accept that I am very fortunate in my lifestyle compared to some on this forum but I do feel that newcomers are sometimes given the wrong impression of the housing market in the area.Up to you !

I might be very interested because mooban and 7/11 strikes a bell and i may have seen a house there. I like the pool idea and what are the neighbours like, an enquiry that a poster suggested i make here. My wife is swiss and very much into cultural issues while i am simply a homebody prefering to quiet of my study. I write a bit and need some moments of quiet. is there fishing nearby.

Good luck. For your gut impression, do not think further about coming to Thailand unless you are looking for a real adventure.

I spent most of my life on one adventure or another but seek a settled life actually. I have also been looking at malaysia as well but my wife fears discrimination because she is a woman and it is a muslim country. honesty here.

cheers.

garry.

As your indicating, you need to do the 'research' and that's always a good approach.

You mention that you don't want to drive, and overall Chiang Mai is not good for public transport and in retirement I'm guessing you would like transport which is comfortable. Taxis do exist but are far from cheap.

Renting a car / van for a day, or several days is a good suggestion.

Longer-term it may be a good idea to find someone who has a car and is prepared to be your on call 'taxi' as needed, at a negotiated fee cheaper than taxis. Not easy to find in 5 minutes but people like this do exist.

My Thai adult son found a tuk tuk driver who we now always use when we have need for additional transport. He's reliable, safety conscious, polite, he asks for very reasonable money because he knows it's worth his while to do so long-term and he speaks Intermediate plus English, and he's been very helpful and logical when we have been searching for whatever.

Edited by scorecard

cheers.

garry.

Freshwater (obviously) fishing is very popular here and the native snakehead is a ferocious quarry.Additionally there are lakes all over Thailand full of ostensibly South American species such as Arapaima,Redtail Catfish ,Shovelnose Cats etc Yu should have plenty of choice.

I was watching a program from the bbc or sky, i forget which with robin greene called extreme fishing and there was one episode on thailand. this interested me although i doubt that i will spend a night on the lake, a dam, to catch an early morning fish that ended up not to be particularily good eating. i noticed that the big fish were catch and release in some fish farm place.

cheers.

garry.

As your indicating, you need to do the 'research' and that's always a good approach.

You mention that you don't want to drive, and overall Chiang Mai is not good for public transport and in retirement I'm guessing you would like transport which is comfortable. Taxis do exist but are far from cheap.

Longer-term it may be a good idea to find someone who has a car and is prepared to be your on call 'taxi' as needed, at a negotiated fee cheaper than taxis. Not easy to find in 5 minutes but people like this do exist.

My Thai adult son found a tuk tuk driver who we now always use when we have need for additional transport. He's reliable, safety conscious, polite, he asks for very reasonable money because he knows it's worth his while to do so long-term and he speaks Intermediate plus English, and he's been very helpful and logical when we have been searching for whatever.

If you do not mind, i will keep your post and when i get to thailand write you again and perhaps speak to you of this driver. this would be an ideal situation although i have no idea what a tuk tuk is. i presume it is a motorcycle sort of construction with seets at the back. one could take groceries in such things. and the car with driver perhaps for longer trips to the outskirts for walks and visits. thank you sir.

cheers.

garry.

You won't get a better answer than that. Your "own" transport is pretty much essential here unless you wish for a self imposed exile, abeit in a lovely prison. I would guess that virtually every mooban in Thailand has a 7/11 or Tesco Express adjacent to it.Think its one of those universal laws of Thai nature , one cannot exist in isolation from the other !

No flame intended good to see some one spend what it cost and not worry about it.

For myself I am just jealous. (I am afraid when my boat comes in it will be a row boat) LOL

For the original poster. I have no vehicle and no desire to have one.

this limit's me in what I can do.

Living with the things you are seeking would be next to imposable.

There are many places I am sure you would love but a form of transportation would be needed.

As has been posted earlier and often get a condo or apartment for one month and look around. Talk to people get agents to show you around As one person suggested make a note of the place you hear about and hire a mini van for a day to take you to see them.

Do not book on line for some thing you might want to spend the rest of your life doing.

On a earlier post I asked about Furama one of the reply's was two bed room 200 square meters in your price range. Take it for a month and them make your decision on where you want to go.

There is lots to see and do here I am sure you will if not love it you will at least enjoy the experience. There is a expats club with many special interest clubs such as board games, gardening, computer, chess and dining out to name a few oops writers club.

Good luck. For your gut impression, do not think further about coming to Thailand unless you are looking for a real adventure.

I spent most of my life on one adventure or another but seek a settled life actually. I have also been looking at malaysia as well but my wife fears discrimination because she is a woman and it is a muslim country. honesty here.

So two strikes. Thailand will be an adventure, not a settled life and you will both find discrimination issues here. Don't worry about the post office, stay in Mexico.

So two strikes. Thailand will be an adventure, not a settled life and you will both find discrimination issues here. Don't worry about the post office, stay in Mexico.

MEXICO IS PRETTY NICE actually but the current climate, not weather, always sun and not humid, but the other one, for example i do not even want to discuss it because of fear of retribution and i am not paranoid, so i feel that i have to move. The trouble with mexico is the sheer brutality and the fact that one nevers knows when the issues will move into the neighbourhood since many many are touched by it. So taking a list we looked at many options and always came back to chiang mai for some unknown reason.

No flame intended good to see some one spend what it cost and not worry about it.

For myself I am just jealous. (I am afraid when my boat comes in it will be a row boat) LOL

For the original poster. I have no vehicle and no desire to have one.

this limit's me in what I can do.

Living with the things you are seeking would be next to imposable.

There are many places I am sure you would love but a form of transportation would be needed.

As has been posted earlier and often get a condo or apartment for one month and look around. Talk to people get agents to show you around As one person suggested make a note of the place you hear about and hire a mini van for a day to take you to see them.

Do not book on line for some thing you might want to spend the rest of your life doing.

On a earlier post I asked about Furama one of the reply's was two bed room 200 square meters in your price range. Take it for a month and them make your decision on where you want to go.

There is lots to see and do here I am sure you will if not love it you will at least enjoy the experience. There is a expats club with many special interest clubs such as board games, gardening, computer, chess and dining out to name a few oops writers club.

Hi,

you are the third person so far that has noted the transportation issue as a major problem. i have to consider my resistance to driving it seems since what i want and what i will get will be determined by that issue. I read somewhere else about a need for some sort of foil in the roof and this affects whether one should rent or not. would a tin foil hat help chuckle. Another suggested that both my wife and i will face discrimination in thailand, since there seems some antipathy to ferangs i think the word is. I have grown up with discrimination in canada being a north american indian, a group not loved by my dear canadian bretheren and sisteren and am prepared for some of that although i wonder what folks will think of a big brown guy who is not east indian or oriental but a red man. chuckle for this too. i fit right in to mexico here except for my size. Speaking of driving, how is parking in chiang mai and how does one get insurance there. it is nigh unto impossible here in mexico to get secure insurance. thank you for taking the time to write to me hello dolly. cheers, garry.

So taking a list we looked at many options and always came back to chiang mai for some unknown reason.

If you don't have good reasons to come, don't. Chiang Mai is not a home for the lost.

Having been born and raised in So. California, and particularly having traveled many times to Mexico, I can tell you that you are in for quite a culture shock if your plan is to migrate to Thailand. The Thai people and culture are as far different from your background and living experiences as you could possibly imagine. For me it was exactly what I had been looking for, but for others, let's just say there is considerable adjustment. I will PM you with the name of a tourist agent who was born and raised in Chiang Mai, knows everything there is to know about Chiang Mai and provides personalized tours for families considering making Chiang Mai their home.

Edited by venturalaw

Possibly one of the all time best posts on TV. Telling it how it really is even if it makes people squirm a bit.

If you pay 36,000 per month for rent then you are foolish and I'm sure the owner is laughing all the way to the bank.

OP, don't listen to him/her. Chiang Mai has more rental properties than renters. It's a buyers market so take your time and look around and you can find a very nice house for 12-18K per month. About 3 or 4 months ago we saw a 6 bedroom, 9 bathroom house on more than a rai of land with a small wading pool and lush, beautiful garden for 25K per month. The g/f met the owner in BKK and she wanted to see the place so we went by and looked -- just out of curiosity of course. She told the g/f that the place had been vacant for almost 2 years with no takers. She told her how she had hoped a "rich falang" would come along and rent it one day.

But keep in mind that for a place like that you will need to staff it with house cleaners, gardeners, companies to come and service the pool, ponds, etc.

I have to say that it always amazes me when I hear or read about people that have never been to a foreign country but decide they are going to move there. What if you don't like it??? Then what???

I don't know...but after reading your posts...I don't think you will like it here. Mexico is a better option.

If you pay 36,000 per month for rent then you are foolish and I'm sure the owner is laughing all the way to the bank.

OP, don't listen to him/her. Chiang Mai has more rental properties than renters. It's a buyers market so take your time and look around and you can find a very nice house for 12-18K per month. About 3 or 4 months ago we saw a 6 bedroom, 9 bathroom house on more than a rai of land with a small wading pool and lush, beautiful garden for 25K per month. The g/f met the owner in BKK and she wanted to see the place so we went by and looked -- just out of curiosity of course. She told the g/f that the place had been vacant for almost 2 years with no takers. She told her how she had hoped a "rich falang" would come along and rent it one day.

But keep in mind that for a place like that you will need to staff it with house cleaners, gardeners, companies to come and service the pool, ponds, etc.

There is truth to both sides of this. Yes you do get what you pay for to an extent but I can tell you there are two booking systems - one for the non negotiating "wealthy" expat who is willing to pluck down an extra 30-50 percent of the price of a rent and those who take the time to negotiate or not pay a lot of "extra dollars" to farang friendly Thais who would charge another 50 percent if the renter were foolish enough to pay it. So if someone says 50k in this scenario you could likely get it for 35k if you look around and negotiate.

I have to say that it always amazes me when I hear or read about people that have never been to a foreign country but decide they are going to move there. What if you don't like it??? Then what???

I don't know...but after reading your posts...I don't think you will like it here. Mexico is a better option.

i WOULD THEN MOVE AGAIN: this is the good thing when having a good solid grounding. I have been in many places in my life although never south east asia and have worked in some pretty rugged social situations with one of the jobs i had. I am swiss so i know how to manage a budget since failure to do so in switzerland would see you starving pretty darn quick with the prices there. I now live in mexico and know about unstable governments and war footing. I am interested in thailand because of the cultural differnce. i have studied buddhism among other topics, had chinese employees and worked with south east asians in a political contexts in the un and can handle culutral differences pretty well coming as i do from an indigenous culture. so the challenges would be there i am sure. b i want to go somewhere that is diffuterent. if i wanted it all i would just have stayed in switzerland.

thank you for your comment.

garry.

Having been born and raised in So. California, and particularly having traveled many times to Mexico, I can tell you that you are in for quite a culture shock if your plan is to migrate to Thailand. The Thai people and culture are as far different from your background and living experiences as you could possibly imagine. For me it was exactly what I had been looking for, but for others, let's just say there is considerable adjustment. I will PM you with the name of a tourist agent who was born and raised in Chiang Mai, knows everything there is to know about Chiang Mai and provides personalized tours for families considering making Chiang Mai their home.

this is the aspect that i am interested in hearing about. the greatest cuture shock i encountered was entering the white canadian world coming as i do from the bushes of northern canada from an indian background. i have since lived a half alienated life since there are not that mamy of my people left in this world. mexico is a country of indians so i sort of like that aspect but the years of dictatorship, or its equivalent with a one party rule has made mexico a bit of an unstable state and this sort of spoils things. I am a lawyer by background but a simple hack otherwise and it is nice to meet you. i visited california a number of times but never to live.

cheers

garry.

I have been to both many times and would take Thailand over Mexico in a heartbeat. Biggest problem is the Mexican "bravado/machismo" attitude that makes every punk think they are a bullfighter not to mention locking all the pretty woman out of restaurants so the men can work as waiters. If you want to see ripoffs go to Mexico. A 100 baht a day mbike in Tland is 1000 per day in a Mexican resort. In short Mexico sucks!!!!!

Lots of advice here and I will give you some of mine.

Ignore the posters who seem to be concerned only with money.

They are what is called cheap charlies. Willing to except second best because it is cheaper. They talk about people getting ripped of on the price they pay for rent. They do not know these people and for all they know the posters bargained the price down from a lot higher asking price.

What they don't know is that it is not a renters market. With the flood in Bangkok there is a lot of people coming to Chiang Mai for two or three months.

Besides maybe you are willing to pay top dollar to get what you want.

As for transportation I hear you. I have no desire to drive here in Chiang Mai. Far cheaper is to hire a car for a day around 900 or 1,000 baht two days a week probably cheaper than buying a car if money is a consideration.

I admit I would like to once in a while take a tour of the surounding country but not enough to buy a vehicle. One of thhese days I will hire a vehicle to drive me around not doing the driving I will be able to see the country side better.

Myself I have lived here and there on both sides of the border with the last twenty years in Kelowna. For myself Chiang Mai is home.

I find that the Thai's are different. That allows me to live in peace. I have friends who don't see different they see rite and wrong with the emphasis being on wrong. They are not all that happy.

Give us a chance there is lots to see and do or sit back and relax. We have two movie theaters if you are into them.

Lots of advice here and I will give you some of mine.

Ignore the posters who seem to be concerned only with money.

They are what is called cheap charlies. Willing to except second best because it is cheaper. They talk about people getting ripped of on the price they pay for rent. They do not know these people and for all they know the posters bargained the price down from a lot higher asking price.

What they don't know is that it is not a renters market. With the flood in Bangkok there is a lot of people coming to Chiang Mai for two or three months.

Besides maybe you are willing to pay top dollar to get what you want.

As for transportation I hear you. I have no desire to drive here in Chiang Mai. Far cheaper is to hire a car for a day around 900 or 1,000 baht two days a week probably cheaper than buying a car if money is a consideration.

I admit I would like to once in a while take a tour of the surounding country but not enough to buy a vehicle. One of thhese days I will hire a vehicle to drive me around not doing the driving I will be able to see the country side better.

Myself I have lived here and there on both sides of the border with the last twenty years in Kelowna. For myself Chiang Mai is home.

I find that the Thai's are different. That allows me to live in peace. I have friends who don't see different they see rite and wrong with the emphasis being on wrong. They are not all that happy.

Give us a chance there is lots to see and do or sit back and relax. We have two movie theaters if you are into them.

I can't understand why some posters seem to think that anyone who doesn't want to spend 36,000 a month on rent or 2,000 for lunch every day instead of a 30 baht bowl of noodles is a 'cheap charlie'. What <deleted> this is; it's up to the individual to decide how much he wants to spend, no matter how rich he may be. Flaunting 'High so' idea's in a country like Thailand can get you targeted by 'not so nice' people. Sure; I see Farang folks living in big houses with high walls and big barking dogs, and even camera's to make them feel 'safe'. Personally I prefer to be 'Mr Nobody' and live a lot more modestly in a reasonably secure Moobaan setting. You are likely to be a lot safer if you blend as well as you can into the community.

As for getting around and seeing the countryside; well, I have a car but don't use it that often, my Bicycle I find a lot more useful and I ride around the beautiful local scenery every day. This way you get to meet local people and don't spend all your time with a lot of the whinging expats that are around.