Underground Water Storage Tanks- How To Keep The Water Clean?

vistana

I have 26 concrete water tanks (concrete jars or ongs) of about 40,000 litres and most of the heavy dirt settles in the bottom of the ong.

They feed a water pump and following the pump are 2 filters so most of the dirt is filtered at those points.

This is because 4 of the 7 years we have lived up here at some point in Feb/Mar/Apr the government water stopped as there was not enough water to supply everybody.

This water is only used as household supplies as we have 2 x 3,000 litre rainwater tanks for drinking.

We have never used any chemicals in either supply at all.

I've been using EM solution at one tablespoon per 1000 liters once every month and have noticed a definite improvement in the water quality. This isn't drinking water of course but used in showers, kitchen etc.

EM = Effective Micro-organisms. Organic. Yeah...the same stuff--or similar--that's been in the news lately (to treat polluted floodwater)...

You can use bleach or chlorine also.

I've been using EM solution at one tablespoon per 1000 liters once every month and have noticed a definite improvement in the water quality. This isn't drinking water of course but used in showers, kitchen etc.

EM = Effective Micro-organisms. Organic. Yeah...the same stuff--or similar--that's been in the news lately (to treat polluted floodwater)...

You can use bleach or chlorine also.

Where can you buy this EM solution ?

Edited by MJCM

If you are not drinking the water (If you are I hope you have decent filtration in place)

Simple 1 litre bottle of household bleach will do the job monthly or a table spoon of swimming pool chlorine.

This will kill the bio-film that will have developed and also any bacteria and most viruses.

I would also empty the tank 6 monthly and wash it down with soapy water and then chlorine solution.

Leave the tank stand for 1/2 hour for the chlorine to dry then rinse with fresh water.

The drying affect has a better kill for bacteria etc

My business is water filtration in and around Thailand + O/Sjap.gif

If you look here, http://www.healthlin...es/hfile49b.stm (Article on How to disinfect Drinking water), then the amount of bleach (household bleach 5%) that has to be added to a Tank of around 2000 Liters (which the OP is asking about) is around 90ml (6 tablespoons).

If drinking yes.

However a little more won't hurt and will also clean the pipes.jap.gif

This is what P.O.E (Point of Entry) filter with Zeolite media takes out of the Pattaya City water after 2 weeks!!!!!

post-57688-0-34772700-1323315119_thumb.j

post-57688-0-61387300-1323315230_thumb.j

After the P.O.E filter on my system I have a cartridge filter before 2 UF membranes that goes from 50 down to .5 microns and after 3 months

post-57688-0-98590900-1323315584_thumb.j

• 1 year later...