Unaffected Bangkok Residents Should Help Clean Up Canals: Flood

webfact

TEAM GROUP

Unaffected Bangkokians should help clean up canals

Chularat Saengpassa

The Nation

30170186-01_big.jpg

Water expert Chawalit Chantararat, who is also executive director of the TEAM Group, is calling on residents living in nonflooded parts of Bangkok to help dredge waterways and unclog drains in floodravaged areas.

TEAM Group is a conglomeration of environmental consultants.

According to him, the level of Chao Phraya and Ta Chin rivers is going to drop significantly for four hours daily until Thursday, and that everyone should take advantage of this lowtide period to direct runoffs to these rivers.

"In order to do this, we need to dredge canals and remove garbage from clogged drains first," he explained.

Chawalit also recommended that relevant officials open canal sluice gates fully during the lowtide period.

"In Nonthaburi's Bang Kruay district, water should be directed from Bangkok's Natee Canal to the Bangkok Noi Canal," he said.

He said that if the clearing effort worked, the level of Mahasawas Canal should drop and the Borommaratchachonnanee Road should be open to traffic next week. He added that though the flooded areas will not be dried out immediately, they should provide visible results.

Chawalit said people should take inspiration from the residents of Samut Sakhon's Ban Phaeo district, who got together to drain flood waters from their area.

Meanwhile, a channel is being dug up along the Bang Nam Jued Canal to help ease flooding in the border shared by Bangkok and Samut Sakhon. The Bang Nam Jued Canal links the Phasi Charoen Canal and Sanam Chai Canal, which direct water into waterretention areas.

Located near Rama II Road, the Bang Nam Jued Canal only has the capacity to move 4 cubic metres of water per second. The new channel, which will be about 100 metres long, will be equipped with several pumps and should be able to push 15 cubic metres of water per second.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-19

Well here we are the rains have stopped the water is going down and they decided that if they clean up the water ways it will help hurry the drain off.

Just another instance of their ability to screw up.

They inherited the clogged waterways but they should have started immeadietley to unclog them when it was seen that there was going to be a chance of Bangkok getting wet.

Hope fully there will come a time when a government concerned with the welfare of Thailand rather than the welfare of a criminal will come into power and take steps to help avert this from ever happening again.

And I mean all of Thailand not just their precious Bangkok.

Floods will come but they do not have to do as much damage as they do now.

No, what needs to happen, is for every single building, that is found to have blocked the waterways, due to illegal construction (regardless of who was paid, how much was paid, or what the nature or cost of the building was), to be razed to the ground, in the next 6 months. In addition, every owner of every building that was found to have been built in one of the drainage channels must be fined a massive amount of money. This will send a message, and will stop this heinous practice, that has caused the loss of life, livelihoods, and enormous property damage. Many say it is hopeless to even attempt to fight corruption in Thailand. But, if the country is serious about improvement, and about maintaining it's standing in the civilized world, it must start somewhere. There is some incentive to start here, and it is obvious to everyone involved that this is at least one of the causes of the floodwater not being able to drain properly.

No, what needs to happen, is for every single building, that is found to have blocked the waterways, due to illegal construction (regardless of who was paid, how much was paid, or what the nature or cost of the building was), to be razed to the ground, in the next 6 months. In addition, every owner of every building that was found to have been built in one of the drainage channels must be fined a massive amount of money. This will send a message, and will stop this heinous practice, that has caused the loss of life, livelihoods, and enormous property damage. Many say it is hopeless to even attempt to fight corruption in Thailand. But, if the country is serious about improvement, and about maintaining it's standing in the civilized world, it must start somewhere. There is some incentive to start here, and it is obvious to everyone involved that this is at least one of the causes of the floodwater not being able to drain properly.

Just as unrealistic as proposing to demolish the buildings is the proposal to relocate all the homeless flood victims to them as reconditioned apartments. That will give all those elite Bangkok business class privileged lovely folks a stir. Having all those "low life ignorant buffaloes" living in the building next door would be a fate worse than paying taxes or contributing to a charity.

No, what needs to happen, is for every single building, that is found to have blocked the waterways, due to illegal construction (regardless of who was paid, how much was paid, or what the nature or cost of the building was), to be razed to the ground, in the next 6 months./quote]

Oh dear-ever seen with own eyes what that would imply? A few 1000-if not 10.000 poor lower class people having built their own house on stilts in the waters-the outcry of how cruel, how pitiful, how disastrous, how seriously again that governing of hiclass to lo-class: enough to fill dozens of newspapers and instigate a few 10.000 redshirts to block roads etc. In the end everything in Thaild is solved by payouts.

In my language they say (it sounds much nicer there as in english): if had/should comes, have/will is too late. Thai and city govmt. is really not waiting fro some unsolicited whitey's advice of 'we know all things better''.

The clean-up of BKK should have been done years ago!.

Here Here.....

Unfortunately, Preventive Maintenance is a concept that South East Asians seem to be completely unaware of. It involves common sense which is, as you all know, very rare in SE Asia.

All Westerners have common sense, to one degree or another, and that common sense tells us we must maintain things to get maximum usage from them.

Thais just don't get it!

Here Here.....

Unfortunately, Preventive Maintenance is a concept that South East Asians seem to be completely unaware of. It involves common sense which is, as you all know, very rare in SE Asia.

All Westerners have common sense, to one degree or another, and that common sense tells us we must maintain things to get maximum usage from them.

Thais just don't get it!

That is a sweeping statement. I see people taking much better care of their expensive fishing gear then me and they are Thai. I kinda think it depends on the person and how much the maintenance costs.

But i think the case here is that BMA did allocate the budget but it just disappeared in someones pocket.

Here Here.....

Thais just don't get it!

That is a sweeping statement. I see people taking much better care of their expensive fishing gear then me and they are Thai. I kinda think it depends on the person and how much the maintenance costs.

But i think the case here is that BMA did allocate the budget but it just disappeared in someones pocket.

A sweeping statement? I would say a very accurate statement. Health and safety standards [lack of] are just one, glaring, example. Do you, for instance, consider families riding motorcycles four-up - or even five-up - including babies, to reflect common sense? Do you view labourers grinding stone in the middle of crowded streets, no thought for their own lungs, never mind passersby, to be in any way intelligent.

And we are talking basic, not PhD, levels of common sense.

Here Here.....

Thais just don't get it!

I used the word 'seem' in my first sentence so that it wasn't a sweeping statement. I can only comment on my own experiences of living 12 years in both Thailand and Vietnam. I'm not a great fan of hearsay. An example would be maintaining a motorbike. Most, not all, SE Asians I know, regardless of wealth will only take their motorbike to a mechanic for two reasons; an oil change or it's broken down. I have mine serviced twice a year. That's why it doesn't breakdown.

I can't comment on the BMA. That would be commenting on hearsay. What's the point in that?

Thais just don't get it!

A sweeping statement? I would say a very accurate statement. Health and safety standards [lack of] are just one, glaring, example. Do you, for instance, consider families riding motorcycles four-up - or even five-up - including babies, to reflect common sense? Do you view labourers grinding stone in the middle of crowded streets, no thought for their own lungs, never mind passersby, to be in any way intelligent.

I agree its not smart at all, but you tend to forget that those doing so are poor people. They often have no other form of transportation. Some people can't afford it otherwise.

Same with other other things, people want things cheaply done and labors have no choice in it do it this way or don't get the job.

Don't mistake common sense with poverty. Though part of your statement is too many don't realize the danger because its normal here. But it originates from poverty. I am pretty sure the 4 or 5 up on a motorbike would prefer being in a car but they cant effort it.

Thais just don't get it!

I used the word 'seem' in my first sentence so that it wasn't a sweeping statement. I can only comment on my own experiences of living 12 years in both Thailand and Vietnam. I'm not a great fan of hearsay. An example would be maintaining a motorbike. Most, not all, SE Asians I know, regardless of wealth will only take their motorbike to a mechanic for two reasons; an oil change or it's broken down. I have mine serviced twice a year. That's why it doesn't breakdown.

I can't comment on the BMA. That would be commenting on hearsay. What's the point in that?

Here i see people bringing their car and bike in to get serviced. Granted some are like you say but not all. I must have misread because i do agree that in many cases they dont take those measures.

The BMA was hearsay but i know enough about Thailand to know things like that are budgeted but budgets are stolen from.

Thais just don't get it!

I agree its not smart at all, but you tend to forget that those doing so are poor people. They often have no other form of transportation. Some people can't afford it otherwise.

Same with other other things, people want things cheaply done and labors have no choice in it do it this way or don't get the job.

Don't mistake common sense with poverty. Though part of your statement is too many don't realize the danger because its normal here. But it originates from poverty. I am pretty sure the 4 or 5 up on a motorbike would prefer being in a car but they cant effort it.

poor or not, no excuse for having too many on a motorbike.And espically the little kid's sitting directly up front.

Well here we are the rains have stopped the water is going down and they decided that if they clean up the water ways it will help hurry the drain off.

Just another instance of their ability to screw up.

They inherited the clogged waterways but they should have started immeadietley to unclog them when it was seen that there was going to be a chance of Bangkok getting wet.

Hope fully there will come a time when a government concerned with the welfare of Thailand rather than the welfare of a criminal will come into power and take steps to help avert this from ever happening again.

And I mean all of Thailand not just their precious Bangkok.

Floods will come but they do not have to do as much damage as they do now.

One of the main culprits of this charade is the BOSS who in his wisdom refused to let the water out of the dams at the right time--he ought to be in up to the waist for a start, Can you imagine this, the soap opera types--"come on let us all lend a hand and clean out the klongs and do not forget to buy some of those surgical type gloves. Dont the Klongs smell when one is close up-are them animals rats ?? oh dear, anyway I bought a box of tissues to use when it gets really dirty"--''-do you think we will have time to shop later , I want to buy my maid a mop-as her house has water in it" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,these people are AFFECTED not unaffected. Is there any police around now most of their road block duties are curtailed--They could muck in couldn't they????

These Klongs are disgusting and black and foul, Most Thai people do not see it--don't smell the smells, and been like this for years and years, This is one of TATs failings over the years-as this affects tourism-they should push the powers that be. They will never learn.

Edited by ginjag

Here Here.....

Thais just don't get it!

True we know it but we still throw it away to ghet the new model.

Where did you think the disposable generation came from.

Now manufactures build it to not last long so we can throw it away and get the new improved model.

Try to find small appliance repair shops.

Here Here.....

Thais just don't get it!

Now manufactures build it to not last long so we can throw it away and get the new improved model.

So true. The other online source has said that Don Mueang and Rangsit could see another 40 days of water if the rubbish isn't cleared from the drains immediately, and 2-3 weeks is the rubbish can be cleared right away. Will the people learn from this once this is over remains to be seen.

post-6428-0-77472700-1321717306_thumb.jp

Damned rubbish!

Thais just don't get it!

So true. The other online source has said that Don Mueang and Rangsit could see another 40 days of water if the rubbish isn't cleared from the drains immediately, and 2-3 weeks is the rubbish can be cleared right away. Will the people learn from this once this is over remains to be seen.

post-6428-0-77472700-1321717306_thumb.jp

Damned rubbish!

That is a big difference 21 days or 40 days, I wonder why they dont let the army clean it or some government institution. I doubt that there are many BKK volunteers that would do it. Also how to do it without proper support (meaning you can take the rubbish out but someone needs to transport it)

BMA is called for big clean up. Next step is digging up canals from upcountry to the sea. hopefully , the next 7 years it is El Nino. So no more heavy rains. But when La nina arrives, it's time to head for the shelters. Still would give Bangkok all five fingers up ! Number one city of the world . . .

Dont they have people to do this?

Traditionally inmates of some Thai prisons have been used to do drain cleaning. Not sure that there is enough of them for this cleanup job though. Plus they'd have to hurry up as thousands may be getting pardons soon along with one notorious criminal fugitive. I'd like to see HIM on his hands and knees shovelling up SHIT....after all he's spoken enough of it....