Central Bangkok 'Safe' From Floods: Thai PM

webfact

Central Bangkok 'safe' from floods: Thai PM

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, November 19, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's premier declared central Bangkok safe from the kingdom's devastating floods Saturday, as the death toll neared 600 and President Barack Obama vowed the US would give whatever help it can.

Thailand is suffering its worst flooding in half a century, and 5.4 million people are still affected around the kingdom, but Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that inner areas of the capital were out of danger.

Yingluck met Obama on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit on the Indonesian island of Bali on Saturday -- her first face-to-face meeting with the US leader.

"It's certain that the inner zone of Bangkok will be safe from floods because the measures to hold floodwaters have been successful," she said in her weekly radio and television address.

The drainage of floodwaters in the western part of the capital was progressing slowly, she said, but she remained confident that a key road linking the city to the country's south would not be cut.

"Many feared that Rama II road may be submerged, but it's unlikely now and if it is inundated it will not be serious," she said.

Some 595 people have been killed in floods and two are still unaccounted for, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said in its daily update Saturday.

Many areas in the north and west of the capital are still underwater and full or partial evacuation orders are in force in 24 of the city's 50 districts.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra joined 1,000 volunteers clearing up a major road junction in the city's north on Saturday after the waters receded, and he vowed to clean up the whole city by the end of the year.

Obama congratulated Yingluck on her "inspirational" election victory in July and pledged US support in the floods crisis.

"We will extend any assistance we can," Obama said. "The US and Thailand are two of the oldest allies, with great friendship. We extend our heartfelt condolences to the victims of the flood."

Washington has promised more than $10 million to help Thailand recover from the disaster.

The meeting with Obama comes at a delicate time for Yingluck, the sister of the deeply divisive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives abroad to avoid a two-year jail sentence for corruption.

Yingluck, 44, who had no experience of politics before her election, has faced criticism for her handling of the flood crisis and over reports that her government had drafted a royal pardon that could allow Thaksin to return.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-19

As with the red shirt protests, I wish the Western media would <deleted> and stop scaring away tourists with their panic-style journalism. It wasn't the protests or the floods themselves that made tourist numbers drop, it was the Western media's style of reporting events that had and have no effect on tourism. The TAT should contact the British foreign office and get them to slap a D-notice on the desk of every national newspaper, or at least dull-down their scare-mongering.

The only danger to Bangkok is an excess of "good news.'" Sometimes..."less is more."

This type of pronouncement does not feel humble, acknowledge the sacrifices of millions to make this a reality, and invites people to say...."OK, so I can tear this wall down now, right?"

I am a fan of the PM, but in this case, feel she needs to be more cautionary.

Perhaps...

"The sacrifice of Thai citizens in cooperation has stabilized the flooding situation in Bangkok. We remain optimistic that we are in the final chapter of this episode, and with a few weeks of patience, should be on the road to recovery."

As with the red shirt protests, I wish the Western media would <deleted> and stop scaring away tourists with their panic-style journalism. It wasn't the protests or the floods themselves that made tourist numbers drop, it was the Western media's style of reporting events that had and have no effect on tourism. The TAT should contact the British foreign office and get them to slap a D-notice on the desk of every national newspaper, or at least dull-down their scare-mongering.

+1 sausageandmash

My sister was all set to travel here.

I managed her expectations, told her about the flooding etc.

Then she saw one hyped up 30 sec soundbyte on the Australian media and all my hard work vanished.

We travelled a week later (still here now) and most things are OK in Central Bangkok, but our hearts go out to the less fortunate to the North and West of the City.

Lets hope that there is a co-ordinated Tourism initiative with free Visa's for Tourists for next 12 months, maybe reduced airfares, incentives for travel etc

I know of a couple who were in Phuket, and my friends daughter called her dad in Australia, and told him they wanted to go to BKK. He told them not to be so stupid. So they went anyway. Result, spent 3 days in a hotel room, then went back to Phuket, because there was nothing to do for tourists because of the water.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post, 'sausageandmash' - it really cheeses me off how some love to spread rumors which have devastating effects on the tourism industry !

Some religious numb-nut proclaimed that "1/3 of Thailand is flooded" the other day, while appealing from people to send money to his org. for the flood-victims . . . . .

The thing is (so sadly) that the cost of the flooding and all of it's flow-on effects are staggeringly high; the foreign media are adding insult to injury by their 'sensationalism style reporting, which is costing the Thai economy yet another huge sum of money ! !

Edited by jaapfries

as the death toll around the kingdom approached 600.

Why are people still dying? Are they all getting electrocuted?

Of course people are dying there is a lot of flooding going on. Easy to have a accident and then it is not so easy to get to a hospital. I was walking through the streets today and stepped on some glas (good thing it did not cut through my boots). But you can imagine stuff like that is dangerous. Not to mention the infections.

"It's certain that the inner zone of Bangkok will be safe from floods, as the measures to hold floodwaters have been successful," Yingluck said.

Next week she'll announce evacuation plans!:annoyed:

Ah jeez! Unfounded nastiness. Yeah if due to an unprecedented quirk of nature the Monsoons returned an evacuation might eventually be announced. :rolleyes: An unfair post. If we got hit by a large meteor some people that post in this forum would blame the PM for not jumping out there and stopping it with a giant catcher's mit!!!

Hey. Scare-mongering is a great sell! The "unaccountable media" is a prime catalyst in scare mongering, international enmity between people that do not even know each other, financial market crashes. :(

So by a storke of luck and the narrowest of margins inner BKK escapes, now wait for next years 1 in 1000 year floods to come.

its 1 in 25 years but your save for next years cause the 7 dry years will struck thailand.to be bone dry and crying for water

I don't think it is or was scare tactics reported by the media in the west.It just a warning of what was happening and that it may not be safe.I was just in bangkok a week and a half ago and their was a scarcity of water and other thing's in the shop's.It's the same here in chiang mai.Was in tops the other day and saw signs reading water six bottles per family per day.Also in 7/ 11 in bangkok sign reading it's not a joke we have no water.So,why would one want a whole wack of tourists in town when there is not enough supplies for the local population let alone a few thousand more tourists.Also,the shelves in many shops are still empty of many products.Would you as a tourist want to come to a place with your family and find that you can't get any milk for your baby in the local 7/11 or tesco ?Why place money making before common sense?It don't make sense.

To the various media whiners above, really, there's been no need for the news media to be overly "sensationalist" regarding Thailand lately. Just reporting the straight facts has been sensationalist enough during the past month to scare away any sensible tourist.

I live here, this is my home, so I'm here to stay (hopefully). But knowing what I know and seeing what I've seen in the recent past, there's no way in the world I would have volunteered to come to Thailand as a tourist in recent months. Not with all the other places that don't have all this grief hanging over the place.

And now, just as the floods are beginning to abate, we have the upstanding folks in the current government trying to set the whole country afire with their latest political shenanigans aimed at absolving their fearless leader -- which promises months ahead of trouble unless their plan gets shot down in the early going.

I can understand if your tourist-related businesses and thus pocketbooks are suffering, and I empathize about that. But if you're looking to place the blame somewhere, place it on the current government for totally mismanaging and mishandling the flood crisis and then, if that wasn't enough, trying to ignite a political firestorm as an encore.

"Obama congratulated Yingluck on her "inspirational" election victory in July and pledged US support in the floods crisis"

"Inspirational" - <deleted> - Not quite the word I would have used. Wonder if Obama looses the upcoming election if he will consider that an "inspriational" win for his rival. Obama better make sure the $10 million in aid goes directly to the people and not thru the hands of the politicians, but that won't happen and the aid will be only about $5 million.

"Obama congratulated Yingluck on her "inspirational" election victory in July and pledged US support in the floods crisis"

"Inspirational" - <deleted> - Not quite the word I would have used. Wonder if Obama looses the upcoming election if he will consider that an "inspriational" win for his rival. Obama better make sure the $10 million in aid goes directly to the people and not thru the hands of the politicians, but that won't happen and the aid will be only about $5 million.

for a character like him it is true "inspiration" laugh.gif

back to the flood

It will be over after the high tide passes which is scheduled for 26. Making a statement before is dangerous.

The little canal next to my place is higher than ever before and with quite a strong current. I saw they're doing their best to drain it all as fast as they can. To say it's save is a bit too early.