Letter From Thaksin Shinawatra

Lite Beer

Brilliant letter on level of political analysis. His opponents would far rather the amnesty had been pushed now. Maybe though there never was an amnesty plan. Most of these gambits have subtexts and intentions different from the obvious, and Thaksin is especially good at playing a game many steps ahead of his opponents who usually react to the obvious but miss the more subtle.

Actually, he's not that good at all. He is a classic overreacher and his methods don't change much.

I agree he's not that good at playing the game, unless the game is paying for votes, telling the voters what they want to hear (hint: you'll all get rich with me in power) and powering his way to the top of TRT.

In many ways, he's played 'the game' badly, but was able to get away with it. He split for the Olympics and lied while promising to return forthwith. Is that playing the game well? Indeed, nearly everything the man has done in the past 15 years revolves around lies and deceit. Is that playing the game well. If I had $5 billion and didn't have any scruples about lying about everything I was involved with (while trying to cause trouble in Thailand), I could probably command some ink on newspaper front pages also.

Also agree.

Lots have been said about how clever thaskin is, etc. In reality, he realized that by manipulating the poor with low level handouts (paid for from the common wealth of all Thais) he could win elections.

Is this an extremely clever new strategy? No, not at all, he just moved it up quite a few notches and had no hesitation (no scruples, no morals, no values) and did it.

Anybody could dream up the same simple strategy, the difference is that most others wouldn't do it, because it's immoral.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant letter on level of political analysis. His opponents would far rather the amnesty had been pushed now. Maybe though there never was an amnesty plan. Most of these gambits have subtexts and intentions different from the obvious, and Thaksin is especially good at playing a game many steps ahead of his opponents who usually react to the obvious but miss the more subtle.

Actually, he's not that good at all. He is a classic overreacher and his methods don't change much.

I agree he's not that good at playing the game, unless the game is paying for votes, telling the voters what they want to hear (hint: you'll all get rich with me in power) and powering his way to the top of TRT.

In many ways, he's played 'the game' badly, but was able to get away with it. He split for the Olympics and lied while promising to return forthwith. Is that playing the game well? Indeed, nearly everything the man has done in the past 15 years revolves around lies and deceit. Is that playing the game well. If I had $5 billion and didn't have any scruples about lying about everything I was involved with (while trying to cause trouble in Thailand), I could probably command some ink on newspaper front pages also.

Also agree.

Lots have been said about how clever thaskin is, etc. In reality, he realized that by manipulating the poor with low level handouts (paid for from the common wealth of all Thais) he could win elections.

Is this an extremely clever new strategy? No, not at all, he just moved it up quite a few notches and had no hesitation (no scruples, no morals, no values) and did it.

Anybody could dream up the same simple strategy, the difference is that most others wouldn't do it, because it's immoral.

I think Amsterdam, the spin whore of lost causes, is the strategist, Thaskin just sets the goals.

I think Amsterdam, the spin whore of lost causes, is the strategist, Thaskin just sets the goals.

I don't know if it was Amsterdam or one of the other PR and perception management firms he has on his payroll, but I would be very surprised if the letter was actually composed on its entirety by Thaksin himself.