Getting A New Internet Cable...?

cornishcarlos

I am trying to get internet installed at our house..

We live just outside Surat Thani, past the turning for Donsak on the way to Nakon Si Thammarat.

3BB only have lines installed as far as the school, about 400 yards from our place but they have no intention of going further !!!

TOT don't have anything to offer apart from Satellite installation which is expensive and a slow connection speed.

Being a computer phobe I need some help.. Are there any other options, any way to find out about other service providers coverage in the area ??

Help....Help...Help

:)

3G cellular chip for USB and unlimited data plan for somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 baht a month.

I can't tell you which cellular service provider will give you the best reception in your area, or differentiate the terms and conditions that define their "unlimited data" plans.

Possibly getting an Aircard (wireless USB modem...a dongle that plugs into your laptop's USD port) might work for you. But keep in mind most companies will be selling their aircards as EDGE+ and 3G capable. EDGE+ is just the fancy name for internet/data using cell phone frequencies with a upper speed limit of around 384Kb, but in the real world you will only get around 200Kb and it comes with high ping times due to the cell tower/relay delays. And 3G coverage is pretty much limited to certain/a few cities within Thailand.

Right now I'm using an AIS EDGE+/3G 3.6Mb Aircard since I had to evacuate my western Bangkok home due to flooding 21 days ago....I currently staying just outside the town of Nakhon Pathom due west of Bangkok about 50Km.. I've had no problem in making EDGE+ connections for the past 21 days and I have been getting a top real world speed of 220Kb but there is no 3G coverage in my area. And if I remember right, even if I coud pickup 3G coverage the speed is limited to 1Mb max download speed. Internet surfing/email at around 200Kb is slow compared to ADSL/cable internet, but it still gets the basic job done. But viewing videos or doing VOIP is basically no-go due to the slow speed and high ping times. Ping time between my Nakhon Pathom location and Bangkok is in the upper 400ms ballpark to Bangkok.

I wasn't aware the EDGE plus even existed. I looked it up on the AIS web site and found that it requires Class 32, 296 / 178.8 kbits. My Nokia E52 has that spec. What kind of speeds are you getting with the EDGE plus? Is there a major difference?