Can I Become A Thai Citizen?

Despite the good intentioned advice I've offered the OP I think there is an element of unnecessary whining over the rules the Thai government has set, mainly relating to income.

To me, the income rules are a red herring. You are either in a job and have a salary that provides stability now and into the future, or you are not - regardless of the income threshold for a visa, or in this case, citizenship. That is our own free choice to chose the job we work in and the citizenship rules dont force you into those jobs.

Now, let me declare my bias, I am all for automatic work rights for spouses and family members and a reasonably open and transparent path to citizenship to people who show a commitment to Thailand.

But even if that was the case, it doesn't change the fact that the labour market in Thailand isn't always set up for providing high paying jobs which provide long term security, and as such, even if the visa rules were 'easy' taking certain jobs won't guarantee you and your family a stable future income.

So it is a bit rich to blame the Thai government of denying you a stable future. Our choices are own own.

Edited by samran

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI, I own 2 companies in Thailand, have a Thai wife & son, have had visa & work permit continuously since 2001. I can speak reasonable Thai and read too, but slowly! I already have bank accounts, driving licence, house, car etc. I am not wealthy, just a working class stiff who happens to work for myself and employ a few people to help me. I have considered both PR & Thai Citizenship, but can't really seem to find any advantage in having either - can anybody tell me clearly what the advantages are? Thanks.

If you have a Thai wife, presumably you have a Non Imm-O one year "marriage" visa, that you can renew every year assuming that you meet the income and other requirements (minimal). Why wouldn't you be happy to just remain in that status? The one year marriage visa only requires that you report your address and status every 90 days which is a very fast visit to immigration the more years that you have the more they treat you with somewhat better attitude. The one year marriage visa can easily be done without any professional help and therefore only costs the basic Thai fee for the visa. The only additional cost would be reentry visa/s. It's none of my business, but I guess it's puzzling as to why you go for Thai citizenship or even permanent residency? It doesn't seem to have any advantage over the marriage visa, as long as you are married.

If you have a Thai wife, presumably you have a Non Imm-O one year "marriage" visa, that you can renew every year assuming that you meet the income and other requirements (minimal). Why wouldn't you be happy to just remain in that status? The one year marriage visa only requires that you report your address and status every 90 days which is a very fast visit to immigration the more years that you have the more they treat you with somewhat better attitude. The one year marriage visa can easily be done without any professional help and therefore only costs the basic Thai fee for the visa. The only additional cost would be reentry visa/s. It's none of my business, but I guess it's puzzling as to why you go for Thai citizenship or even permanent residency? It doesn't seem to have any advantage over the marriage visa, as long as you are married.

If MrAngry is working in a school, maybe with a minimum TEFL teaching qualification (loads of foreigners doing that), he will only be getting 30k a month which is below the marriage visa extension requirements of 40k a month.

Working as a teacher gets you a visa without the income requirements of any other visa, but when the job goes, so does the Visa (you have to leave the country within 7 days)

Citizenship allows you to work and live on the farm legally with no income at all.

Edited by ludditeman

Dear Sir,

I would like to read the posts only and rather send my comments, etc but you made me comment. The reason maybe the status matched. Anyhow your simple question "Can I become a Thai citizen" seems to became so complected when the answer is "NO" its NO. You are not willing to swallow it. The second relevant part of your question has the solution to deal with it but you have opt not to go for that " without the overpriced permanent residence. And you, yourself assumed it "(that nobody gets)"? Strange ...... !!

I have a Thai wife like you, and two Thai son. I am having my own small business for living for 4+ years. Since your status you described as " I am not a rich Swiss banker that can buy it " So what made you believe it's possible when your simple one year visa run not possible without hiring an agent to proceed for you. Seeking citizenship is far beyond getting a simple one year visa when your each and every document is original and true. So it seems you have all the possible answers yet you need someone to make you believe it is possible and "normal" way like in the West ... So the answer is "NO" in capital words. In what you asked for now with your current status.

Please note that Thailand is a tourist country. If Thailand allows foreigners a citizenship, All foreigners will become Thai citizens and so in that case what will happen to the local poor Thai citizens. The policies here are to protect the local citizens and only allow citizenship to those who have enough resources to pay Thai government a tax and can earn revenue for Thai government and Thai people to strengthen Thai economy. So they are right on their part. so do not try to find loop holes instead try to fill full the requirements and here you go ....

Don't get frustrated as they say "WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY". If you are really intrusted in getting THAI CITIZENSHIP followings are some home works that you must do in REAL not FAKE . It is possible OK ...

1. Try to get some Investor from your own home country who can invest 2 million bahts and can open a company for you under your name ....

2. Register your company under your wife and your name and siblings ......

3. Pay the tax as much as you can to Thai government that will raise your profile ....

4. Pay donations to Thai Immigration, Hospitals and Flood Relief Operations, when and where applicable. They will serve you receipt of every donations and its legal.

5. Keep your stay 3 years without changing any status and avoid leaving country for a period more than a month.

6. Try to learn some Thai enough to speak it well and could read as well.

7. Try to learn National Anthem of Thai and learn the meanings as well.

8. Make your period of stay clean without any crime.

After all above you will be able to get Thai Citizenship. In case if you are not good in Thai speaking writing and listening. Than have to pay agent 1,00,000 Bahts and they could do it for you to ensure easy THAI CITIZENSHIP. Remember, NO agent can process Thai Citizenship without the above quoted original home works. But this won't be necessary, if you are smart enough to handle on your own.

In least case if you can not do these all above. Just sit and watch and hope for the best. The Thai government of past "Thaksin Shinawatra" in powers, previously working on the Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965) to improve the laws for Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality. But unfortunately that government did not survived. Yet once again there are a great HOPE and expectations from this current government, that they would continue to complete this process and would relax some requirements to make it easy for the foreigners who have Thai wife and Thai children and wished to apply for Thai hai citizenship under Thai laws.

For more details, regarding the requirements of THAI CITIZENSHIP. I would like to quot a detailed related post on the topic posted earlier in this forum " http://www.thaivisa.com/301.0.html " that might be of your interests.

Best Regards

AhSaN

Edited by ahsan959

Please note that Thailand is a tourist country. If Thailand allows foreigners a citizenship, All foreigners will become Thai citizens and so in that case what will happen to the local poor Thai citizens. The policies here are to protect the local citizens and only allow citizenship to those who have enough resources to pay Thai government a tax and can earn revenue for Thai government and Thai people to strengthen Thai economy.

That's a remarkable statement.

It is possible to become a Thia citizen. I have been here 27 years, I am married to a Thai citizen, have two children born in Thailand, speak fluent Thai in two dialects. It took me 9 years to receive Thai nationality but it was well worth it!

Congratulations!

Also congrats to your first post(s) here. Welcome, and we are looking forward to hearing more from you in the future. :)

No

You will never be a Thai citizen.

And can I ask you to elaborate on why it is not possible?

It may be possible. I have three UK friends who got Thai Citizenship a long time ago. But Thais do not respect thier citizenship.

A farang is always a farang to them and on one paticular occasion when my friend produced his Thai ID card to enter a national park the gate keeper thew his ID card on the ground and told him "you are a farang and you pay farang entrance fee". That is the attitude.

No

It may be possible. I have three UK friends who got Thai Citizenship a long time ago. But Thais do not respect thier citizenship.

A farang is always a farang to them and on one paticular occasion when my friend produced his Thai ID card to enter a national park the gate keeper thew his ID card on the ground and told him "you are a farang and you pay farang entrance fee". That is the attitude.

Very interesting. I show my Thai driver's licence and get to pay the Thai entrance fee. What did your friend do wrong?

No

I believe this attitude is everywhere. Even in the zoo, when a Farang monkey of same species join in the same cage, with different non identical color and size :whistling: like me I guess :blink:. The locals would throw my citizenship away and offers me as "Farang" alien hospitality. In fact, when discussing the local Thai attitudes we often forget to quot our superior proud attitude towards presenting them that I am now a THAI :jap: In acquiring and obtaining Thai Citizenship did not makes us THAI that for sure. We have to learn the THAI local behavior and apply the same humble attitude of greetings and requesting in speech. keep in mind that Thai citizenship does not makes us THAI :ermm:. A chimpanzee is a chimpanzee and a baboon is a baboon whatever citizenship they might have they don't mix together. :jap: Conclusion : When we need to understand a Human Behavior Or an Attitude, we must understand the animal physiology ... When there is No Law there is a Jungle Law !!

Edited by ahsan959

Thai citizenship makes us Thai legally, but you are right, not culturally. We have to work on fitting in culturally, but we will always stick out.

To become a Thai citizen makes sense for legal aspects, such as not needing a work permit or being subject minimum salaries to be allowed to stay, and not being subject to visa and extension of stay requirements. You do not depend on your legally wedded spouse any more, you will stay on your own right. You can apply for a mortgage if you want to buy a condo. (The latter two also apply for PR.)

In addition, you can buy land in your own name to build a house or a factory. You do not need 51% ownership in the company but can own as many percent as you wish (up to 100%).

Depending on circumstances, you may be able to keep your original citizenship, so the rights in your birth country (from pensions to work and residence) will not be affected.

Am I missing something?

I know I am.

Why in the world would anyone who is not already a Thai citizen by birth wish to voluntarily become one?

You may arrange whatever paperwork you like, but you are not Thai, and you will never be viewed as Thai by actual Thais. As far as I can see, if you actually manage to fulfill this quixotic goal, you will essentially end up with all the disadvantages of being a Thai citizen with none of the advantages of being a citizen of another country.

Very strange.

I don't think anyone applies for citizenship to be accepted as a Thai. There is no way in the world that I will ever be thought of as a Thai if I get citizenship. I will still be seen as a foreigner, but who just happens to have a Thai ID card. The main reasons for applying are the sense of security it provides and some of the things Tom mentions. Entering national parks at the Thai price is not a reason for the ID card, a driving license will suffice. But being able to work wherever you want and doing whatever you want without the need for a work permit would really be quite liberating. Being able to stay with your family and not having to worry that the money in your account is falling under the limit for a yearly extension. Not having to worry that the bar is raised making it difficult to be with your children.

I have lived in Thailand longer than I lived in the UK. This is home to me, the good and the bad and my family is here. My wife cannot work because of illness so if I had to leave because of visa issues she would be in trouble (she has no desire to live anywhere other than in Thailand and if I had to leave I would not be able to support her from afar). So by getting citizenship there would be added security for her.

I only seriously started looking into citizenship a few years ago. I believe the removal of the requirement for a PR for those married to Thais only actually kicked in in 2008. Up until then I had not been interested. I thought that PR was way too expensive and pointless. But now I wish I had looked into it earlier as it would have made everything so much easier for me now that I am intending to apply. By being forewarned you can check where you have a weakness and work towards improving your situation/chances. Complaining isn't going to get you anywhere. True, perhaps the system is unfair and does not meet with UN requirements or whatever, but you have to work within the system as it stands. If it says the minimum salary is such and such, then that is what you will have to earn. Complaining is not helping. Look for a better paying job or speak to Special Branch to see what else can be done to meet minimum requirements.

Sunday afternoon ramble over.

I agree with Samran. Visit the police at the Special Branch and they will tell you then and there if you are eligible. Based on the information you have provided, I believe that you are eligible to apply.

Thank you for that.

Can I ask you one very serious question?

Why is one of the big law firms, that advertises here, telling me that I must apply for Permanent Residence - even though they have the same story this forum has (and this forum has concluded otherwise)?

They probably don't know anything about applying for Thai citizenship or PR but hope to get people to come through the door and soak fees out of them for something or other. I have quizzed some law firms that advertise they can get Thai citizenship on a fast track for people and they were quite ignorant of the process and obviously had no way of getting you on to a fast track but would come up with loads of excuses once they got your money.

No

There is a very simple response to this type of disrespectful behaviour. You simply ask the person who has thrown your ID card on the floor or otherwise stated that he doesn't respect your naturalization as a Thai citizen to bear in mind who it was that signed his name to approve your Thai citizenship and whether this behaviour means that he doesn't respect that person or agree with his judgment. If this doesn't result in a satisfactory improvement in attitude, you are free to file criminal charges against the individual under Section 112 of the penal code at the nearest police station.

Thai citizenship makes us Thai legally, but you are right, not culturally. We have to work on fitting in culturally, but we will always stick out.

This is true.

It takes a lot of work and self-improvement for the average foreigner to become as peaceful, patient and kind as Thais.

on one paticular occasion when my friend produced his Thai ID card to enter a national park the gate keeper thew his ID card on the ground and told him "you are a farang and you pay farang entrance fee". That is the attitude.

A few additions have been added on to reality of that tale. :whistling:

"Simple question but it seems to have various answers.

Can I become a Thai citizen, without the overpriced permanent residence (that nobody gets)?

I have a Thai wife, and Thai son, have worked here for 5+ years as a goverment school teacher and can speak a bit of Thai - survival level.

I am not a rich Swiss banker that can buy it!

Is it possible to get it a "normal" way like in the West?"

You meet the basic requirements for naturalisation as a Thai under the Nationality Act but I am not sure you would meet the salary requirement in the ministry regulations as a government teacher. Males married to Thais need a salary of at least Bt 40,000 a month.

Under the 2008 amendments to the Nationality Act foreign males married to Thais were exempted from the requirement to have 5 years' residence in the Kingdom and have knowledge of the Thai language. What this means in terms of the Interior Ministry's interpretation is that these applicants don't need PR, which was required as evidence for the 5 years' residence, and don't need to sing the Royal and National anthems. To benefit from this exemption the Ministry requires evidence that the applicant has been legally married to a Thai for at least 3 years (or 1 year, if the couple has a Thai child together).

As mentioned, males married to a Thai need a salary of at least Bt 40,000 a month (Bt 80,000 for those not married to Thai and they need PR too). They also need to get 50 points out of 100 on various measures including educational level, residence time in Thailand (top marks for having PR for 10 years), knowledge of Thai language, attitude etc.

The application fee was increased to Bt 10,000 last year and Special Branch only take this, once they have scrutinised all your documents with a toothcomb and you have got the necessary 50 points.

The process is not the same as most Western countries because it is unfortunately totally lacking in transparency. The police are very open and usually get all the necessary vetting checks done on you within the 60 days guideline. After that the application goes to the Interior Ministry which tends to have a rather bad attitude and seems to do its utmost to torment applicants and make them feel like they are the character Josef K in Franz Kafka's novel "The Castle". The guidelines officially state that the time for the ministry to do its mysterious work on applications is "unlimited". From applications of which I have first hand knowledge the whole process can anywhere between 18 months and 11 years but some people seem never to receive a response at all. Enquiries to the ministry about how your application is going will usually be stonewalled with vague responses such as "Don't worry you are in the queue but we can't say any more than that" but occasionally applicants may be told that their file has been mislaid or sent back to the police for re-vetting which may or may not turn out to be true. It seems that there is a great lack of consistency in the style and criteria for processing applications at the ministry and it can change radically from one minister to another. What is extremely consistent, however, is the lack of transparency. From remarks made to applicants being interviewed at the Interior Ministry, it seems that they do prefer applicants who have paid a lot of Thai salaries tax over the three year period that is assessed for application. However, I also know of a government university teacher who applied successfully.

It is very clear and Special Branch will openly concur with this that people with high level connections (minister level and above) can get the fast track treatment which can result in getting their ID card in less than 3 years after application. You may hear stories of people paying backhanders through lawyers, brokers or directly to ministry officials. I cannot say whether any of these stories are true, although it is clear to me that some lawyers and brokers are requesting backhanders upfront for a fast track service that they have no means of delivering and which they no doubt quietly pocket for themselves. I reiterate that the style of processing varies a lot under different ministers who have a tendency to disappear suddenly leaving a lot of applications unsigned on their desks. To give some past examples, Thaksin's first interior minister, Purachai, refused to sign any applications for citizenship (or PR) and held up the whole process for 3 years, while Sarayudh (interior minister and PM after the 2006 coup) apparently make sincere efforts to clear backlogs accumulated under his predecessors.

From what I can gather from posts in TV and other sources the time taken for "regular track" applicants to be interviewed at the Interior Ministry has recently increased to about 3 years from the 12 to 18 months it took only a few years ago. After you have been interviewed, it takes another 1-3 years for the minister to sign and then another 1-2 years for royal approval, gazetting in the Royal Gazette and final issue of your naturalization certificate for a further fee of Bt 500 and issue of your ID card.

Since the PR process has slowed almost to a standstill, the majority of applicants for citizenship are now people without PR applying on the basis of having a Thai spouse.

The most complete up-to-date information online is available in Thai only on Special Branch's website http://www.sbpolice.go.th/. Click on the box marked Thai with a tick on the left hand side and it will take you to a series of links. A lot of information is also available in this thread As mentioned by Samran and others, Special Branch's naturalization section at National Police HQ, Pathumwan, is very happy to give you an informal opinion on whether or not you are likely to be qualified to apply for Thai citizenship. It is best to go along there personally during normal government working hours but they will also give an opinion over the phone. Please note that, if you are resident outside Bangkok, you will have to apply to Special Branch HQ of your home province but Bangkok has the only dedicated Special Branch naturalization section which is the best source of information.

Edited by Arkady

HI, I own 2 companies in Thailand, have a Thai wife & son, have had visa & work permit continuously since 2001. I can speak reasonable Thai and read too, but slowly! I already have bank accounts, driving licence, house, car etc. I am not wealthy, just a working class stiff who happens to work for myself and employ a few people to help me. I have considered both PR & Thai Citizenship, but can't really seem to find any advantage in having either - can anybody tell me clearly what the advantages are? Thanks.

The advantages of being a citizen (or PR) of the country in which you have made your permanent home, work and have a business are pretty obvious. If you need to ask what are the advantages, it is probably not for you because you need a lot of motivation and stamina to get it.

@ludditeman

Thanks for that. I had read that before and also spoke to a couple of lawyers. One said I must get pemanent residence and they will help but I must give them 500,000 Baht or something close. Another said the same as the post you referred me to.

With all the double stories, I was hoping for some concrete facts.

Has anybody tried this? I noticed there was one post from a guy about 4-5 years back - but he is now banned from the forum.

Someone who has been waiting for 5 years for his permanent residency went to the office in the ministry 6 months ago, whatever it is. He was shown piles of applications for citizenship and residency sitting there. Some have been there for quite a few years. They don't bother about the applications. Watch out for cows flying over the moon, and then go and apply for citizenship. He's still waiting, by the way, and still no sign of those cows either.

Despite the good intentioned advice I've offered the OP I think there is an element of unnecessary whining over the rules the Thai government has set, mainly relating to income.

To me, the income rules are a red herring. You are either in a job and have a salary that provides stability now and into the future, or you are not - regardless of the income threshold for a visa, or in this case, citizenship. That is our own free choice to chose the job we work in and the citizenship rules dont force you into those jobs.

Now, let me declare my bias, I am all for automatic work rights for spouses and family members and a reasonably open and transparent path to citizenship to people who show a commitment to Thailand.

But even if that was the case, it doesn't change the fact that the labour market in Thailand isn't always set up for providing high paying jobs which provide long term security, and as such, even if the visa rules were 'easy' taking certain jobs won't guarantee you and your family a stable future income.

So it is a bit rich to blame the Thai government of denying you a stable future. Our choices are own own.

I think you answered the points that you raised yourself. You stated that the labour market esp. teaching (and I don't know what else I could do as most private sector jobs would probably need university level Thai). Thus, the citizenship rules should consider what a respectable profession (teaching) pays and use that instead of 40,000. This is even more valid when you also mention the ability to sustain a family on such a wage - I can.

Now, in realtion to your point that I am wrong to blame the government for a stable life, the government does not offer any stable system that allows a husband and father (of Thai people) to remain - this is where the government is to blame. I do not blame them if the employment market does not offer stability. I blame the government for not allowing me to remain with my family.

"Simple question but it seems to have various answers.

Can I become a Thai citizen, without the overpriced permanent residence (that nobody gets)?

I have a Thai wife, and Thai son, have worked here for 5+ years as a goverment school teacher and can speak a bit of Thai - survival level.

I am not a rich Swiss banker that can buy it!

Is it possible to get it a "normal" way like in the West?"

You meet the basic requirements for naturalisation as a Thai under the Nationality Act but I am not sure you would meet the salary requirement in the ministry regulations as a government teacher. Males married to Thais need a salary of at least Bt 40,000 a month.

Under the 2008 amendments to the Nationality Act foreign males married to Thais were exempted from the requirement to have 5 years' residence in the Kingdom and have knowledge of the Thai language. What this means in terms of the Interior Ministry's interpretation is that these applicants don't need PR, which was required as evidence for the 5 years' residence, and don't need to sing the Royal and National anthems. To benefit from this exemption the Ministry requires evidence that the applicant has been legally married to a Thai for at least 3 years (or 1 year, if the couple has a Thai child together).

As mentioned, males married to a Thai need a salary of at least Bt 40,000 a month (Bt 80,000 for those not married to Thai and they need PR too). They also need to get 50 points out of 100 on various measures including educational level, residence time in Thailand (top marks for having PR for 10 years), knowledge of Thai language, attitude etc.

The application fee was increased to Bt 10,000 last year and Special Branch only take this, once they have scrutinised all your documents with a toothcomb and you have got the necessary 50 points.

The process is not the same as most Western countries because it is unfortunately totally lacking in transparency. The police are very open and usually get all the necessary vetting checks done on you within the 60 days guideline. After that the application goes to the Interior Ministry which tends to have a rather bad attitude and seems to do its utmost to torment applicants and make them feel like they are the character Josef K in Franz Kafka's novel "The Castle". The guidelines officially state that the time for the ministry to do its mysterious work on applications is "unlimited". From applications of which I have first hand knowledge the whole process can anywhere between 18 months and 11 years but some people seem never to receive a response at all. Enquiries to the ministry about how your application is going will usually be stonewalled with vague responses such as "Don't worry you are in the queue but we can't say any more than that" but occasionally applicants may be told that their file has been mislaid or sent back to the police for re-vetting which may or may not turn out to be true. It seems that there is a great lack of consistency in the style and criteria for processing applications at the ministry and it can change radically from one minister to another. What is extremely consistent, however, is the lack of transparency. From remarks made to applicants being interviewed at the Interior Ministry, it seems that they do prefer applicants who have paid a lot of Thai salaries tax over the three year period that is assessed for application. However, I also know of a government university teacher who applied successfully.

It is very clear and Special Branch will openly concur with this that people with high level connections (minister level and above) can get the fast track treatment which can result in getting their ID card in less than 3 years after application. You may hear stories of people paying backhanders through lawyers, brokers or directly to ministry officials. I cannot say whether any of these stories are true, although it is clear to me that some lawyers and brokers are requesting backhanders upfront for a fast track service that they have no means of delivering and which they no doubt quietly pocket for themselves. I reiterate that the style of processing varies a lot under different ministers who have a tendency to disappear suddenly leaving a lot of applications unsigned on their desks. To give some past examples, Thaksin's first interior minister, Purachai, refused to sign any applications for citizenship (or PR) and held up the whole process for 3 years, while Sarayudh (interior minister and PM after the 2006 coup) apparently make sincere efforts to clear backlogs accumulated under his predecessors.

From what I can gather from posts in TV and other sources the time taken for "regular track" applicants to be interviewed at the Interior Ministry has recently increased to about 3 years from the 12 to 18 months it took only a few years ago. After you have been interviewed, it takes another 1-3 years for the minister to sign and then another 1-2 years for royal approval, gazetting in the Royal Gazette and final issue of your naturalization certificate for a further fee of Bt 500 and issue of your ID card.

Since the PR process has slowed almost to a standstill, the majority of applicants for citizenship are now people without PR applying on the basis of having a Thai spouse.

The most complete up-to-date information online is available in Thai only on Special Branch's website http://www.sbpolice.go.th/. Click on the box marked Thai with a tick on the left hand side and it will take you to a series of links. A lot of information is also available in this thread http://www.thaivisa....1#entry4235934. As mentioned by Samran and others, Special Branch's naturalization section at National Police HQ, Pathumwan, is very happy to give you an informal opinion on whether or not you are likely to be qualified to apply for Thai citizenship. It is best to go along there personally during normal government working hours but they will also give an opinion over the phone. Please note that, if you are resident outside Bangkok, you will have to apply to Special Branch HQ of your home province but Bangkok has the only dedicated Special Branch naturalization section which is the best source of information.

Thank you for a very informative post.

Just 2 questions:

As the local office might not know that much, but they are the office that will take my 10,000 and my application, is there a chance that they might erroneously accept or refuse it and thus I could suffer?

I have heard that you keep an eye on the government gazzette, do you know how many people got citizenship in the last year or so (foreigners) and how many applied?