Samsung Galaxy Nexus

JohnnyFeelIt

Here's what you need to pay of you want to buy an unlocked one in the US from wirefly or Best Buy or Samsung.

800 bucks for a smartphone? Not very smart.

The reason they are so cheap there is the price is locked in with a 2 year subscription @ $60/mo (1,860 baht/mo). If you were to buy the phone without a subscription in US or Europe it would be more expensive than here. 19,900 bath ($640) is a good price for a Nexus Galaxy and I for one will be in the queue to get one on the 22th. BTW, it comes with a 8 month promotion with 1.5G traffic/mo for another 320 baht. Compare that to the 1,860 baht that would have cost in USA.

I know all about the 'cheap' option of buying a bundled service but I already have a US number. The thing is the Nexus One was around $300 unlocked (via google direct sales online) and the Nexus-S around $400 unlocked (via Best Buy). So the asking price for the latest unlocked one in the US or UK markets is absurd. The local price for the local version unlocked is also taking the Mickey IMHO. Having bricked my first Nexus-S, there's no justifying that price for something that isn't as robust or easily sorted.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get your point, sorry. You have a number already - what does that change? You still have to sign a new 2 year contract @ $60/mo to get this deal.

Are you perhaps confusing the Nexus S and the new Nexus Galaxy? The Nexus S is now under 10,000 baht (if you can find one).

I don't get your point, sorry. You have a number already - what does that change? You still have to sign a new 2 year contract @ $60/mo to get this deal.

Sorry Phil. I was alluding to the Verizon US bundling where the new phone is cheap if you take on a new minimum contract commitment where the lowest price is for the totally new subscriber, higher price if adding the handset to an existing account and "oot thae windae" if buying unlocked.

Are you perhaps confusing the Nexus S and the new Nexus Galaxy? The Nexus S is now under 10,000 baht (if you can find one).

No confusion... I still own a Nexus One and two Nexus-S (one of which is bricked). The 'new' Nexus S is still available at Central for a tad under 17,000 baht. Well... it was last month anyway and scarcer than hen's teeth elsewhere in LOS. It's also commanding between $400 and $500 on various non-Thai internet outlets.

The fact that AIS's bundling of the Galaxy Nexus makes it the cheapest on the planet doesn't change my opinion that 19,900 baht for something that will be obsoleted within 12 months (if I don't brick it first), makes it less of a 'must have' in the view of my inner accountant. No denying it's slick as sh!t tho'!

BTW, I am enjoying my Asus Transformer T1... only came to market in May, purchased in November but will be superseded next month by the T2. I remember the last time I was on the endless upgrade merry-go-round back in the 80's. I still have a closet full of full-size SLR camera's and all the bits and bobs that came with that passing fad.

Do you want to sell your bricked Nexus S? If so, PM with a price.

A Verizon Nexus would be pretty useless here (in Thailand). The U.S. versions (more coming: AT&T, maybe T-Mo) are also quite a bit thicker and heavier so hardly desirable for primary use in Thailand.

I think the SGS3, perhaps just a dream in my head now, may end up being pretty good? But I may just end up with a used SGS2. All these new models basically make it easy for use scavengers. :whistling:

No confusion... I still own a Nexus One and two Nexus-S (one of which is bricked). The 'new' Nexus S is still available at Central for a tad under 17,000 baht. Well... it was last month anyway and scarcer than hen's teeth elsewhere in LOS. It's also commanding between $400 and $500 on various non-Thai internet outlets.

I saw a Thai online shop listing the Nexus S for around 10k recently. Can't find the link now though, anyway it was out of stock.

I saw a Thai online shop listing the Nexus S for around 10k recently. Can't find the link now though, anyway it was out of stock.

That's about right. The 16,999 one at Central was there... I could pick it up and play with it. Using amazon and the likes finds all sorts of cheaper prices too on the US and UK but when you click the direct link, it is invariably out of stock.

Maybe I will see just how long the queue is on the 22nd.... hey, it's Christmas after all!

So the Nexus s now has ICS?

And it's only 11,900b new sounds like a bargain.

Any one updating want to sell their Nexus S?

PM me if you do. Allan

The Nexus S supports 900/1700/2100 Mhz 3G so would not work with DTAC 3G or Truemove H 3G here.

There is an official release ICS (OTA: 4.0.3) for some versions of the Nexus S, specifically the T-Mo (U.S.) version. Or you can update yourself:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-gsm-nexus-s-ice-cream-sandwich

The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus at the YSR Shop for 24,900 is presumably a grey-market model from the U.K., hence the higher price.

So the Nexus s now has ICS?

And it's only 11,900b new sounds like a bargain.

Any one updating want to sell their Nexus S?

PM me if you do. Allan

The Nexus S supports 900/1700/2100 Mhz 3G so would not work with DTAC 3G or Truemove H 3G here.

There is an official release ICS (OTA: 4.0.3) for some versions of the Nexus S, specifically the T-Mo (U.S.) version. Or you can update yourself:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-gsm-nexus-s-ice-cream-sandwich

The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus at the YSR Shop for 24,900 is presumably a grey-market model from the U.K., hence the higher price.

This phone is for the Gf. She's on AIS. and wants an S2. How does the Nexus S compare to the S2?

This new Nexus...20,000b and it doesn't have sd card slot...wow, that's crap.

What are Samsung thinkingblink.gif

same as my Nexus S...ample memory for what I need, so I never thought it is a problem.

Neither did I.... until an OTA upgrade bricked it.

Backup regularly!

I have read of bricked T-Mobile Nexus-S's if the self-applied upgrade meant for the AMOLED version is applied to the S-LED version... or was it the other way round.

My 'brick' only gets as far as the 'Google' startup screen so not much chance of totally buggering it up at all.

http://www.androidce...-cream-sandwich

I have read of bricked T-Mobile Nexus-S's if the self-applied upgrade meant for the AMOLED version is applied to the S-LED version... or was it the other way round.

My 'brick' only gets as far as the 'Google' startup screen so not much chance of totally buggering it up at all.

This is not "bricked".

I had the same issue with a Galaxy S I was playing around with. What will save you is that Samsung Android phone have an "anti-brick" trick up their sleeve: an electronic way to force the phone into download mode (i.e: ready to be flashed again) named USB Jig. You can actually make one yourself but the easiest is to spend $5 on ebay and you'll get one in your mailbox in a few days:

http://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=samsung+usb+jig

The jig works for any Samsung device (even if they sometimes are advertised for one or another model).

Once in download mode, follow any tutorial on internet explaining how to flash your phone's ROM.

Oh, and about the "backup" part... what do you have to backup? Your contacts and emails are automatically synced with your google account. If you use google+ then your pictures are too. I don't think there is anything important on my android that is already on the cloud. That's a much better solution that backup. See, even Apple switched from backup to the cloud in iOS5

This new Nexus...20,000b and it doesn't have sd card slot...wow, that's crap.

What are Samsung thinkingblink.gif

same as my Nexus S...ample memory for what I need, so I never thought it is a problem.

No SD card.

No buttons.

I wonder what they will think of next? Anyone want to bet on a non-removable battery? :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.androidce...-cream-sandwich

This is not "bricked".

I had the same issue with a Galaxy S I was playing around with. What will save you is that Samsung Android phone have an "anti-brick" trick up their sleeve: an electronic way to force the phone into download mode (i.e: ready to be flashed again) named USB Jig. You can actually make one yourself but the easiest is to spend $5 on ebay and you'll get one in your mailbox in a few days:

http://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=samsung+usb+jig

The jig works for any Samsung device (even if they sometimes are advertised for one or another model).

Once in download mode, follow any tutorial on internet explaining how to flash your phone's ROM.

Oh, and about the "backup" part... what do you have to backup? Your contacts and emails are automatically synced with your google account. If you use google+ then your pictures are too. I don't think there is anything important on my android that is already on the cloud. That's a much better solution that backup. See, even Apple switched from backup to the cloud in iOS5

OK, it's soft-bricked or whatever the techno babble terminology is for a <deleted>' smart phone that's deaf and dumb!

Thanks of that tip and the link. Does this 'un-brick' erase the pseudo SD card memory?

I know that I haven't lost my contacts or google emails... I even managed to re-download all the wonderful Apps I had without any pain. However, I am not a google+ subscriber so the pics and vids I want are still stuck inside the 'brick'.

Back on topic: The sales girl at the new AIS store in Udon is unaware of any special Samsung Nexus Galaxy rollout manana. She even asked the supervisor who was similarly clueless so maybe this is only a Bangkok and major touristy places rollout? Anyway, she showed me the prices on her screen and noticed the Nexus-S was 14,900 baht. She also mentioned there's a special discount day on 28th this month with up to 25% off their published prices.

AIS didn't have them and never knew when they would get them, so much for their offical 22nd Launch as the sole distro..

I went next door to JayMart to enquire about something else, and just by chance I mentioned it to the staff (there were none on display) but much to my supprise one of them went into the store room and came trotting out with one. Jaymart has had them since yesterday apparently.

Wow really? I passed by one but didn't bother asking because I though it was only going to be AIS and Telewiz that had them.

I just called Jaymart here in Pattaya but it was the usual ....

Gallasy Ne'gu' ??? Arai?

Mi Gallasy mak mak,!

Ne'gu' arai wa?

You want Iphone?

:blink:

After a long wait on the phone to AIS they told me that the head office in Si Racha maybe have them tomorrow afternoon. Maybe.

Actually it's 19.900 like AIS' price, and both are Pentaband too. The question is if you are still going to be eligible for the 299 baht/month for 1.5gb 3G that AIS offers.

The promos say the data package is only available with a purchase at an AIS shop. However, in the past (most recently with the SGS2) with similar promotions, the activation code for the promotional plan was made widely available, and could be used by anyone with the appropriate model handset.