Samsung Galaxy Nexus

JohnnyFeelIt

Hi all,,, I'm also in the market for the Thai version of the Nexus,, I'm headed to MBK to check it out,, Once I DO get one,, I'll be selling my Galaxy G2,,, I bought it brand new at MBK about 4-5 months ago,, Box, papers, everything,, I've had a screen protector on it,, and in a soft/hard case cover since it came out of it's box,,, It's been upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3.5 by a friend of mine that does this often, it works FLAWLESSLY,,,, PM/email me if anyone's interested,, I'll either trade it in on a Nexus, or offer it here for slightly over the trade-in value,,,, Thanks,,

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked one up from AIS in Phuket Town yesterday. If you're thinking of buying you might want to handle it first. Going from Nexus One to this is a bit of a shock given the size of the device. Initial impressions are very good. Screen is great, and ICS really is slick.

Also worth pointing out that the models sold here are actually updated by Samsung not Google (I just found this out), so it's stuck on 4.01 even though 4.02 has been released by Google. I didn't realise that this pure-Google came with pure-Samsung updates - that kinda sucks :(

Oh, software by Samsung, that sucks. That would be a deal breaker for me. They make great hardware but they really should leave the software alone. I think you should be able to find the update on the Internet and sideload it.

What do you mean by "given the size of the device". It's a 4.6" right, of course it's going to be larger than the Nexus S :)

I went from Nexus One, and this thing is much bigger (although also much slimmer). Screen is super though - growing on me immensely right now :)

Software is pure Google, but the OTA comes from Samsung rather than Google. I may overwrite with Google source, but can live with waiting a few weeks for 4.03 to be OTA'd.

Does anyone know if the 19.900 price is locked to AIS? I had my Galaxy S2 stolen in Laos and looking to replace it with a Galaxy Nexus. I am currently in Nong Khai- any options to buy around here? I can get to Udon Thani easily enough but Bangkok is a bit far (I will be there in early February.)

I can get the Nexus for 24.500 in Vientiane, unlocked. He is importing from Thailand. Obviously this is a fair bit more than 19.900 but probably less than the money and effort to go to Bangkok right now.

To update, I went looking and while the AIS shop (Telewiz) didn't have it (and said Udon Thani didn't have it either) after asking around a fair bit I found it in the electronics mall beside, from a shop called TG Fone. 19.900 so quite a saving for me on buying in Vientiene. Not much more than the S2 was priced at. The screen is noticably sharper and displaying more stuff (5x6 plus dock looks right to me in ADWLauncher!) I was also tempted by the Note but decided it might have been just a bit too big (more expensive too, and still 2.3.)

I am downloading my apps and getting it set back up the way I like it now. A lot to like in ICS, certainly, although I am not persuaded by the getting rid of the hardware buttons. I always used wake my S2 up using the home key and can't do that any more. Putting them on the screen just wastes pixels, and encourages inconsistency. The back button is on the wrong side and my menu button can be anywhere, when it is there at all (sometimes it isn't, I can't find it in the launcher at all!)

But overall, you would not notice the size increase from the S2 at all and the screen is certainly very nice indeed. It feels a tiny bit weightier in the hand, but then the S2 felt particularly light. The Nexus feels like an iPhone, weight wise.

Thailand is a bit of a shock after spending a month and a half in northern Laos. There are four lane roads, and traffic lights, and shopping malls, western shops, and chocolate here. Crazy stuff.

I am sure I will get used to it!

Edited by blorg

Picked one up from AIS in Phuket Town yesterday. If you're thinking of buying you might want to handle it first. Going from Nexus One to this is a bit of a shock given the size of the device. Initial impressions are very good. Screen is great, and ICS really is slick.

Also worth pointing out that the models sold here are actually updated by Samsung not Google (I just found this out), so it's stuck on 4.01 even though 4.02 has been released by Google. I didn't realise that this pure-Google came with pure-Samsung updates - that kinda sucks sad.png

I think 4.0.3. is now out from Google. Is it a big deal that the update is done through Samsung? Are you referring to bloatware from Samsung as part of the software?

Sorry if this is a noob question. I am a long time blackberry user who is about to switch to android. And the Galaxy Nexus looks like the one to pick up. Just waiting til I get back to BKK.

can anyone confirm if its being sold in chiang mai?

Just picked mine up for 19,900THB (didn't haggle) in the basement of that shopping mall near the northwest corner of the moat. Opposite Tops supermarket, near KFC). Maybe the shop is called Mae Wang or something like that. They have a Samsung counter and they only got the first batch in today at 5pm. You can get the VAT refund form there too. No AIS promo of course.

Edited by marcardar

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy one tomorrow from Bangkok but I have few questions to those who have already bought it.

Could you please check if Arabic is available as an input language?? (Go to Settings>Language & Input>Default>Configure)

and how much is it approximately after the VAT refund?

Cheers

Could you please check if Arabic is available as an input language?? (Go to Settings>Language & Input>Default>Configure)

Yes Arabic is there.

I think you just need to divide the retail price by 1.07.

So 19.900THB becomes 18,600THB.

Edited by marcardar

Yes Arabic is there.

I think you just need to divide the retail price by 1.07.

So 19.900THB becomes 18,600THB.

thank you very much... I really appreciate your fast response. A++

I think 4.0.3. is now out from Google. Is it a big deal that the update is done through Samsung? Are you referring to bloatware from Samsung as part of the software?

Sorry if this is a noob question. I am a long time blackberry user who is about to switch to android. And the Galaxy Nexus looks like the one to pick up. Just waiting til I get back to BKK.

Google changed the OTA process with Nexus S. Now Samsung pushes OTA to some handsets, but this doesn't mean you get any bloatware or Samsung software. Just that OTA comes from Samsung servers.

It's a bit of a nightmare, and you can install the Google version so that you then get OTA direct from Google's servers.

can anyone confirm if its being sold in chiang mai?

Just picked mine up for 19,900THB (didn't haggle) in the basement of that shopping mall near the northwest corner of the moat. Opposite Tops supermarket, near KFC). Maybe the shop is called Mae Wang or something like that. They have a Samsung counter and they only got the first batch in today at 5pm. You can get the VAT refund form there too. No AIS promo of course.

Just returned from Central Airport. Most shops on 3rd flr offering Galaxy Nexus at 19900. Jaymart is selling the phone but will only let you reserve it at this point for pick up in 2-3 days. Pretty silly if you ask me since everyone else is selling them right then and there (ie., Zoom, mom and pop, etc.). TG Fone is offering 0% financing for 10 or 12 months (can't remember) for Galaxy Nexus.

No display units to play with just yet. Going to wait and get it in BKK at this point.

Just bought the Nexus G in Tukcom Pattaya, 19,900. Time will show if I get the promo. There's a shop just up the escalators showing it for 24,900 and they wouldn't budge on the price. A little asking around the other shops and one was found at the right price.

Lets us know your first impressions.

Just bought the Nexus G in Tukcom Pattaya, 19,900. Time will show if I get the promo. There's a shop just up the escalators showing it for 24,900 and they wouldn't budge on the price. A little asking around the other shops and one was found at the right price.

Spent a couple of hours rooting it and installing latest ICS 4.02. Seems the phone I got came installed with a version of ICS that was being maintained by Samsung Thailand, and leaving it I would have been perpetually behind the upgrade curve. In the end it was actually really easy to do, but the howto's on XDA always seem to complicate everything and make it much more complicated that it really is.

The camera rocks, sharp pictures and very very quick. Some weird quirks as for example how the phone book in the phone app (as opposed to the people app) but I guess that's the price for being on the front edge.