Samsung Galaxy Nexus

JohnnyFeelIt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they look very different and have very different software installed. The SGS2 is square whereas GNEX is a rounded soft shape. The SGS2 comes with Samsungs version of Android, GNEX with the AOSP "pure" Android as Google intended it. But yes, I guess technically you could say the GNEX is SGS2.5. I had mine pretty much since it became available in Thailand and it's my best smartphone yet. Love it!

Hm, I don't know, compared to my previous phones and point-and-shoot cameras I'd say the GNEX' camera is just fine. Anyway I only use it for ad-hoc stuff like the food picture below.

post-1539-0-69753200-1332613893_thumb.jp

Anything serious and I'd be using my Nikon DSLR anyway.

The S2 is a nice phone, but for me it has a big problem: It runs Samsung's version of Android, which I really really don't like.

Yes it is a good idea to avoid an external SD card due to the way Android deals with memory. With an external SD card you always have to mess about with "move to SD card" for apps and data, this problem does not exist with the Nexus phones. 16 GB is plenty for me. With all my favorite music tracks, a few movies, lots of apps and data (and photos) I'm currenly using about 8 GB.

^ What exactly are you trying to do? Connect a SGN to a PC? Transfer data? Charge the phone? Adapt a USB 'device' to the uUSB connection?

Not all USB <-> uUSB cables support data transfer, some of the cheaper versions support charging only. If however the cable supports data transfer then it sill support charging.

^ What exactly are you trying to do? Connect a SGN to a PC? Transfer data? Charge the phone? Adapt a USB 'device' to the uUSB connection?

Not all USB <-> uUSB cables support data transfer, some of the cheaper versions support charging only. If however the cable supports data transfer then it sill support charging.

Connect a usb device the the phone for data transfer.

Can you please elaborate on your application? What type(s) of USB devices?

I suspect that the SGN requires USB serial port drivers so you will have to connect the SGN to a PC/MAC, and then do any data transfer with the PC/MAC? So it not just a matter of the physical connection.

The SGN should have come with a standard data-capable uUSB <-> USB cable, if you don't have that you will have to source it. Just make sure that it supports data transfer, and not just charging.

Can you please elaborate on your application? What type(s) of USB devices?

I suspect that the SGN requires USB serial port drivers so you will have to connect the SGN to a PC/MAC, and then do any data transfer with the PC/MAC? So it not just a matter of the physical connection.

The SGN should have come with a standard data-capable uUSB <-> USB cable, if you don't have that you will have to source it. Just make sure that it supports data transfer, and not just charging.

I have a SGNote and have heard that a cable is available to enable data transfer to and from a usb thumb drive.

I think the micro USB cables are universal. I usually get a cable with whatever device I buy. I have one from Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and my Kindle. I use whichever one happens to be within reach. They all work the same.

I think the micro USB cables are universal. I usually get a cable with whatever device I buy. I have one from Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and my Kindle. I use whichever one happens to be within reach. They all work the same.

We were discussing a uUSB to USB Host (female) cable which allows one to use standard USB devices like mice, keyboards and even USB sticks. This is distinctly different from the uUSB to USB adapter cable which you may be used to using to connect your phone to your PC.

Perhaps this video will help you to understand (although I'm not sure why the video above wasn't informative):