Samsung Galaxy Nexus

JohnnyFeelIt

Spent a couple of hours rooting it and installing latest ICS 4.02.

Hmm - not sure why you needed to root the phone. You can easily change your phone so you get updates from Google instead of Samsung. It's all quite painless.

I really really like this phone but I would say the camera is rather disappointing in low light conditions compared to other top-end smartphones I've tried.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not root it? Would you accept having only "guest" access on your Windows or Linux PC? I didn't think so, well neither do I on my phone. Besides there's quite a few apps that require root, for example Titanium Backup, AddFree and MarkedEnabler for a start. Anyway the rooting itself wasn't the most complicated bit.

Hm, first impression is: dam_n that battery cover is difficult to close.

It is the same cover as my Galaxy Cooper

I know what you mean....you need to line it up & snap it on.

It feels a little thin so seems scary.

But at least we should not need to open the backs too often eh? :)

Actually I find battery life not that different from my old desire. With light use I can make it last one day. If I start reading books (screen on for extended periods) or watch movies or anything that is out the window.

I ordered 3 spare batteries + ext charger from Hong Kong for about 400 baht, that'll take care of battery life, alas difficult to change.

Picked one up from AIS in Phuket Town yesterday. If you're thinking of buying you might want to handle it first. Going from Nexus One to this is a bit of a shock given the size of the device. Initial impressions are very good. Screen is great, and ICS really is slick.

Also worth pointing out that the models sold here are actually updated by Samsung not Google (I just found this out), so it's stuck on 4.01 even though 4.02 has been released by Google. I didn't realise that this pure-Google came with pure-Samsung updates - that kinda sucks sad.png

I think 4.0.3. is now out from Google. Is it a big deal that the update is done through Samsung? Are you referring to bloatware from Samsung as part of the software?

Sorry if this is a noob question. I am a long time blackberry user who is about to switch to android. And the Galaxy Nexus looks like the one to pick up. Just waiting til I get back to BKK.

Welcome to the service wasteland that is Android. The short history of Android devices is full of devices that are way behind the current version, or have been abandoned altogether.

016a_android_orphans.png

I would have thought that the Nexus gets Google updates, which would mean it gets treated much better than a normal Android phone. E.g. it gets new and improved software. With Samsung - it will get the royal treatment as long as Samsung feels like it, which likely isn't very long.

Edited by nikster

What is "light use", Phil?

Checking mail and using WhatsApp, SMS, FB, G+, Tapatalk, Google Reader throughout the day. A few short phone calls, a few photos, checking ad hoc stuff on the internet (browser).

After 16.5 hours on batteries I'm down to 35% juice remaining.

Actually I find battery life not that different from my old desire.

I may have missed this somewhere in an earlier part of the thread. Did you used to have an HTC Desire? The reason I ask is that I also have one running CM7.1, and find it to be very useful/functional. I am interested if the upgrade seems to be worthwhile? E.g., are you able to use the Galaxy Nexus in different ways or are certain things better/easier? Ice Cream Sandwich will be nice, but I am really interested in apps/browser use and if the screen size and resolution makes a difference in your life.

Thanks for your posts.

Welcome to the service wasteland that is Android. The short history of Android devices is full of devices that are way behind the current version, or have been abandoned altogether.

So tell me again why Siri only runs on a 4S. wink.png

Seriously though, a lot of new features introduced in subsequent Android releases do require underlying hardware (like NFC, for example), and quite frankly there haven't been a huge number of features added so its hardly a wasteland.

So tell me again why Siri only runs on a 4S. wink.png

Seriously though, a lot of new features introduced in subsequent Android releases do require underlying hardware (like NFC, for example), and quite frankly there haven't been a huge number of features added so its hardly a wasteland.

Apple says it's because SIRI requires the faster dual core processor in the 4S. I've also heard there's different audio hardware in the 4S.

Even if both these things are not obstacles - I do imagine they probably didn't want 30 Million devices start hitting the servers on day 1. They had difficulties keeping the service alive as it was, with SIRI only on newly sold 4S devices. I wouldn't be surprised for SIRI to become available on the iPhone 4 at some point. I know there have been attempts by the Jailbreak community to enable it on the 4 - that should show whether or not there are actual hardware limitations.

As for Android - all the tech review sites say that ICS (Android 4.0) is the first Android version to seriously challenge iOS, and that it's vastly improved compared to the previous versions. TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Engadget, and TheVerge, for example. But maybe they're all wrong, and you are right... jap.gif

Fact remains that manufacturers drop their hottest and latest super phones like a hot potato as soon as they release a new hottest super phone, which is about every 6 months. With very few exceptions. Android developers develop for 2.2 because there's such a large percentage of devices which never get updated.

By the way Apple obviously has a much easier task keeping iOS up to date - they only have a few phone models, and all their models are very similar - same screen resolution for example. So it's not Google's fault that this is such a mess. It's just a result of the different business model.

hello everyone.

I luckily got one from AIS shop in terminal 21 in bkk on the release date and been using it.

I jumped from Nexus one and this phone is super to me so far.

Getting to the point, I recently moved to Si Racha due to my job, and I don't get the 3g or H connection here at all while even DTAC gets full 3g connection on my friend's iPhone 4s. It did not happen when I was in Bangkok, but it is just happening here. Looks like AIS's 3g network is not as wide as the others even though they charge me almost twice. (I did not take that 300baht promotion since i am already using unlimited service)

I wanna change the provider to True or DTAC, does anyone know if Galaxy Nexus is compatible with other providers? I heard that it's only working with AIS connection, and I even asked the guy in True shop in SIAM and got answered it cannot be used with TRUE for some frequency reason or something.

I wish to make sure if any of you people use GN with TRUE or DTAC? If it's working with them, I will definitely end my AIS and change to better 3g. (also cheaper)

Can anyone help?

Actually I find battery life not that different from my old desire.

I may have missed this somewhere in an earlier part of the thread. Did you used to have an HTC Desire? The reason I ask is that I also have one running CM7.1, and find it to be very useful/functional. I am interested if the upgrade seems to be worthwhile? E.g., are you able to use the Galaxy Nexus in different ways or are certain things better/easier? Ice Cream Sandwich will be nice, but I am really interested in apps/browser use and if the screen size and resolution makes a difference in your life.

Thanks for your posts.

Yes I had an HTC Desire with Oxygen ROM (still have it). Bought the Galaxy Nexus about a week ago. Been considering upgrade for a long time, almost got a SGS2 but in the end decided to wait for the GNEX. The main differences between GNEX and HTC Desire are:

• Bigger screen, 4.65" (1280 x 720) vs. 3.7" (800 x 480). The screen difference may not sound like much but it actually is a big difference, both for the eyes (they are not as sharp as they used to be) and for the on screen keyboard (OSK).
  • Much better camera. Both are 5MP but there's a worlds difference in the pictures it takes, and the GNEX camera is fassssst ... The Desire take a full second from pressing the button to taking the picture.
  • Front camera (GNEX only)
  • CPU, Dual Core 1.3 GHz vs Single 1.0 GHz
  • "glass buttons" vs. physical buttons
  • Android 4/ICS vs Android 2/Gingerbread

The OS itself is a little different and have some new features. It's like going from XP to Win7, it's still Android but a lot of stuff has moved or changed. One neat feature is you can now move one app into another to automatically create folders with apps. Gingerbread had something similar but not quite as seamless as with ICS.

That's pretty much it for actual differences, the rest is just eye candy.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion after one week with the device. I may change my mind as and if I find out more about it.

hello everyone.

I luckily got one from AIS shop in terminal 21 in bkk on the release date and been using it.

Getting to the point, I recently moved to Si Racha due to my job, and I don't get the 3g or H connection here at all while even DTAC gets full 3g connection on my friend's iPhone 4s. It did not happen when I was in Bangkok, but it is just happening here. Looks like AIS's 3g network is not as wide as the others even though they charge me almost twice. (I did not take that 300baht promotion since i am already using unlimited service)

I wanna change the provider to True or DTAC, does anyone know if Galaxy Nexus is compatible with other providers? I heard that it's only working with AIS connection, and I even asked the guy in True shop in SIAM and got answered it cannot be used with TRUE for some frequency reason or something.

I wish to make sure if any of you people use GN with TRUE or DTAC? If it's working with them, I will definitely end my AIS and change to better 3g. (also cheaper)

Can anyone help?

You absolutely should get HSDPA in Si Racha with AIS. Suggest you contact AIS to find out what is the problem. Maybe somehow you got a CDMA phone?

On the issue of AIS vs. DTAC vs. True I think you will find as many opinions as you find users here. Personally I used DTAC for years before switching to AIS about a year ago. DTAC's voice network was far superior, I never had problems connecting or dropped calls, I have that all the time with AIS. On the other hand DTAC's data network was a drugged snail, and AIS has been relatively good, giving me consistantly 1 gbps download speeds - perhaps not as much as HSDPA should be able to provide but plenty good enough for my mobile needs. I've never used True but I have the impression they promise more than they actually provide. But that's all again just my personal subjective opinion. As data connectivity is more important for me than voice I am sticking with AIS for now.

hello everyone.

Can anyone help?

You absolutely should get HSDPA in Si Racha with AIS. Suggest you contact AIS to find out what is the problem. Maybe somehow you got a CDMA phone?

On the issue of AIS vs. DTAC vs. True I think you will find as many opinions as you find users here. Personally I used DTAC for years before switching to AIS about a year ago. DTAC's voice network was far superior, I never had problems connecting or dropped calls, I have that all the time with AIS. On the other hand DTAC's data network was a drugged snail, and AIS has been relatively good, giving me consistantly 1 gbps download speeds - perhaps not as much as HSDPA should be able to provide but plenty good enough for my mobile needs. I've never used True but I have the impression they promise more than they actually provide. But that's all again just my personal subjective opinion. As data connectivity is more important for me than voice I am sticking with AIS for now.

Thank you for the suggestion.

My phone has no problem and should not be a CDMA phone since I got it from AIS shop. Same thing is happening when I insert my SIM in N1. it might be the regional issue since i am living around industrial park, not in the city? I will contact AIS tomorrow probably.

but still, is there anyone who can answer my question if GalNex is working with true or dtac?

Thank you for your answer

Yes the GNEX should work with both True and DTAC. Unlike earlier phones it has both 850 and 900 MHz.

http://www.samsung.com/th/galaxynexus/

Thank you very much.

I called AIS several times but it didn't help at all since they didn't give me the proper answer. and i found out by myself that it's the regional matter. i bought one dtac prepaid sim and tested here, 3g perfectly work.

i will change the dtac as soon as possible.

Thank you for your answers.

As far as I can tell, they are only selling the 16GB Galaxy Nexus here right? I would love to upgrade from my Nexus S but a mere 16GB all over again sucks. How much is the 16GB and does anyone know if the 32GB version will come and for how much?

Cheers,

Basch

Picked up the Galaxy Nexus at the TG Fone in MBK. Since I had been using a Blackberry on True Move for the last few years, I had to transfer my account to the new True Move H service to use the Galaxy Nexus's data capabilities. Even though I've used True for over 5 years, it's going to take 7-10 days before i can activate the new SIM card (but same number). Probably should have switched to AIS or DTAC as I'm now waiting for a SMS to arrive saying I can switch over. Sigh.

Congrats. Hope you'll be happy with it. I believe AIS and True use the same technology these days. Regardless, actually throughput isn't going to be more than a GB anyway - and I can't imagine needing more than that with a mobile phone (famous last words) wink.png

• 1 month later...

I bought my Galaxy Nexus from Samsung @ 3rd floor, Siam Paragon. Great phone, but Ive got serious problems making it work with True 3G. Ive been talking with True Support several times and also with Samsung and none of them can seem to find a solution.

One support guy said this phone doesnt support True 3G, as it doesnt support the 850 band, but when Googling phone specification sites they all say something similar to this description:

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

UMTS: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz

Data: HSDPA+ (4G) 21.1 Mbit/s, HSDPA 14.4 Mbit/s, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s, UMTS, EDGE

Anyone else experienced this problem? What might be the solution?

BTW: My phone subscription is pre-paid True-H and the APN configurations have been checked several times, but I still think the fault may be linked to APN.

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,

Mikal

Edited by mikalben

so is this galaxy nexus just a slightly repackaged galaxy S2?

For comparative terms you might consider it a SGS 2.5?

Wow. Must be something worth looking at. For those who just purchased, how much and where did you buy?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.