Thailand To Uk In 2012 With 2 Dogs

I am in need of some advice and assistance flying my 2 dogs into the UK from Thailand in late May/ early June 2012.

both dogs are 3 year old female shihtzus (snub nosed dogs) - so airlines like Malaysia Airlines (thai airways also told me no) will not accept these breeds (just to make things even tougher ! ;)

I am sourcing a vet now, who will do their rabies vaccines/ blood tests and micro chips as per the new rules effective January 2012.

I have found an airline who will accept our dogs, as long as we accompany them. This is Air Berlin, who will fly from

Bangkok > Dusseldorf > London Stansted (so we will take a connecting flight on the same day from Germany to the UK, but will be coming from Thailand

*** I am very flexible in terms of airline, and which location we arrive in the UK at, I just want my dogs in the UK with me when I move back home, hence I have not yet booked flights as I need to ensure I book them on teh correct flight so am open to suggestions, so it doesnt have to be air berlin

Now, Looking at Defras website has made me really confused, as it seems my route might not be approved, nor the airline air berlin?

If I come into the UK the above way would my dogs go into quarantine even though they would have all paperwork and blood test proving they are rabies free?

I am really anxious as I do not want the dogs quarantined, hence I am seeking help now in advance. If the dogs need to go as cargo, on a flight alone, with me or whatever I dont mind I just need advice organising how to do this so I can get booking flights and arranging all import /export documents to ensure my pets dont go into quarantine in the uk when they arrive.

I must have emailed 20 companies, airlines and defra but no joy as of yet :ermm:

BTW, air berlin quoted me 25,000 bt ish for my flight to standsted, including the cost of flying the dogs too - think this is as excess baggage in the hold area. But just to add to confusion, i read somewhere that they have to be sent cargo to the uk, I asked air berlin this (there thai office, and they didnt answer, nor when i said are you sure you can fly my dogs into the uk without quarantine next year)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know the UK still quarantines pets arriving from non-EU countries, regardless of vets certs etc. Pet 'passports' (I think) are only accepted from EU countries.

Have a word with Soi Dogs - they will be able to give you up to date info and advice.

I found this on the defra site:

Dogs and cats resident in an unlisted country entering the UK direct or via an non-EU country AFTER Dec 2011

Under the new rules a pet from an unlisted country, whether directly or via a non-EU country, will be allowed to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the EU entry requirements:

• be identified by a microchip
  • be vaccinated against rabies
  • have a blood sample taken by an authorised veterinarian at least 30 days after vaccination and three months before travelling to an EU country
  • have a blood test result from an EU-approved laboratory showing that the rabies antibody titre was equal to or more than 0.5 IU/ml
  • be accompanied by a certificate issued by an official veterinarian certifying compliance with the above requirements.

The above is what is making me think it would be ok coming from Thailand straight into the UK... allthough I could be reading it wrong?

This is also something I found on defra, which is confusing me:

• Routes and transport companies – Dogs, cats and ferrets entering the UK under PETS may only do so on certain routes.
  • Dogs, cats and ferrets entering the UK from non-qualifying (unlisted) countries must spend 6 months in quarantine on arrival.

It could be this is talking about travel into the uk before the rule changes?

Or I wonder if the way I am taking my dogs back to the uk, after 2011, and from an unlisted country means I am not travelling via the PETS scheme, but another way which is ok?

also I cant see air berlin as a listed transport company...which seems odd.

I have contacted John, but he is very busy with the flooding in Bangkok, so I do not want to trouble him too much yet. he did suggest malaysian airlines via KL, but I cant do that as that airline do not accep snub nose dogs (which I have 2 off)

OK, have just contacted defra and spoke to a really helpful lady on the phone.

She said as long as I follow the below I can indeed take my dogs into the UK without any quarantine

Dogs and cats resident in an unlisted country entering the UK direct or via an non-EU country AFTER Dec 2011

Under the new rules a pet from an unlisted country, whether directly or via a non-EU country, will be allowed to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the EU entry requirements:

• be identified by a microchip
  • be vaccinated against rabies
  • have a blood sample taken by an authorised veterinarian at least 30 days after vaccination and three months before travelling to an EU country
  • have a blood test result from an EU-approved laboratory showing that the rabies antibody titre was equal to or more than 0.5 IU/ml
  • be accompanied by a certificate issued by an official veterinarian certifying compliance with the above requirements.

She also said the following:

Thailand is an unlisted country, and as long as I take a flight by an official airline, as stated on there website I will be ok, and no need for quaratine. So this means air berlin is not an option which is fine.

she also said cargo only for my pets as bringing them into the UK as excess baggage is illegal.

phewww! hope this helps anyone who reads!

When I send a dog or cat to abroad and blood needs to be drawn for the Rabies serological testing I always go to Ban Mha ka Meaw on the Mahidol Road, next to Chiang Mai Land. Tel: 053 205 155

They can also microchip your dogs. Don't know the costs for that.

For how and where to send the blood-serum to a registered lab in Europe pm me. Then I can give you the details and the necessary forms.

So far I know dogs have gone as excess luggage to the UK, but do not know which airlines. So, if you take your pets as excess luggage you may want to look into connecting flights CNX-BKK as well.

Air France accepts short-nosed dogs. I have send a Shih Tzu a few months ago and a boxer will go soon to France with Air France. But don't know if Air France flies to the UK.

If you and your pets go in transit in BKK you can arrange the export permit and health certificate in CNX at the Animal Quarantine Station on the Huay Keaw Road. Directions: when heading direction Doi Suthep pass the CMU main entrance on your left and the police station o your right. Just after the last middle thingy in the road, that separates the lanes, make a U-turn and then almost immediately turn left into the compound. It's the first whitish building on your right. They speak English there.

Bring with you:

your passport and a copy

the dogs vaccination books and copies

Microchips cards of dogs and copies

the serological Rabies result papers.

a paper called No 998/2003 (which I also can provide if you pm me)

the flight details

Costs of the export permit and health certificate is 50 baht (or 100 baht, I always forget). A health certificate of the vet is not legally valid, unless your dog has a visible non-contagious disease, then a paper of your vet is advisable.

thanks nienke that is helpful :) I was starting to stress about finding an airline to take our breed of dog!

do you know the approximate cost of the blood test, as a vet near me said 10,000bt each, which seems a bit steep?

I will try air france, as the lady I spoke to said it would be ok to use 2 different airlines, as long as the 2nd flight into the uk was a)to either gatwick, heathrow or manchester, and B) it was as cargo.

she said that if it is ok by the other country in europe such as france, I could send them as excess baggage for that leg of the trip. but I cant go air berlin anymore as she said they were not a defra approved airline.

thanks nienke that is helpful :) I was starting to stress about finding an airline to take our breed of dog!

do you know the approximate cost of the blood test, as a vet near me said 10,000bt each, which seems a bit steep?

I will try air france, as the lady I spoke to said it would be ok to use 2 different airlines, as long as the 2nd flight into the uk was a)to either gatwick, heathrow or manchester, and B) it was as cargo.

she said that if it is ok by the other country in europe such as france, I could send them as excess baggage for that leg of the trip. but I cant go air berlin anymore as she said they were not a defra approved airline.

Air France fly to several airports in the UK

• 1 month later...

I'm actually in the same boat... - two dogs, already chipped, and one's a shihtsu too.

We're not going until June, but I need to get the Rabies vaccinations sorted out. Can this be done at any vet, or do they need to be registered in some way?

To be honest - I haven't looked at flights yet as I was hoping to get the company relocation people to help with the paperwork and stuff, and I hadn't realised Thai was one of the airlines that didn't let snub-nosed dogs travel.

As for cargo, I believe they really mean that the pets are travelling in the hold. For certain airlines/countries, pets can fly in the cabin with the human passengers. That's definitely not allowed for travel to the UK. (Whether it's excess baggage or as standalone cargo is probably a moot point).

A little tip someone gave me was to, from the the first moment you get your dog chipped and the blood tests, was to get the vet to declare the dog as Mixed pedigree. Although they might clearly look like a shihtsu you would find it a lot easier to get the flights etc without the word shihtsu on all the official documents. I would suggest finding out if the middle east airlines are on the UKs list; or find any flight into europe such as Fin Air and then switch there. On flights, maybe try a code share route and book with the partner airline such as a code share Thai Air and United Airlines flight direct. Might work. Personally though, I would start the process again and call them mixed as a start and also try to find an airline that will take snub nosed dogs. However, they might get denied embarkation leaving you right in the poop.

Hi there,

seems we have alot of pets going to the UK in the summer! Any reputable vet can give your dogs the injections. The microchip alos (but make sure it is a UK/ EU approved chip - see http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/ for more iinfo.)

Also check the link, as when the blood sample is taken for rabies it must go to an approved lab - there is one in Japan. Be carefull of companies offering to do this for you it should only cost about 50 GBP max according to defra (double check that but Im sure thats what they told me) some companies/ vets tried to rip me off and told me it would cost 20k THB per dog - it does not.

As for airlines, I spent days trying to sort this out. Any snub nosed dog is not permitted on the following airlines for long haul flights:

Air France, British Airways, Malaysian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways ... basically most of them

It frustrating as I actually used Thai Airways to fly my dogs from Phuket to Chiang Mai, and they were decent, but when I enquired recently about using them again in June when we go home, they said no. Maybe I just go them on a bad / unhelpful day so it may be worth trying them again.

I have confirmation from airlines - Finnair that they will take snub nosed breeds. KLM do but I have information from one of their agents that they will also be imposing a ban on carrying snub nosed dogs. She did not know when exactly.

Finnair, go BKK via helsinki then to london heathrow - this is an approved route and airline. They said to me that someone must be waiting to collect the dogs when they land (after they get cleared from the heathrow animal recpetion centre) I have a quote for 21k THB for both dogs, but the guy there told me I could not book the flight untill 14 days before.... this makes me nervous as doesnt leave room for error but hey ho

Now I spoke to defra, and they said if i struggled with to find a direct flight from thailand, on an approved airline (see the site for their list) the dogs could go on any airline such as Air Berlin (who are not approved) to Dusseldorf, and then go on an approved airline from the EU from there such as Flybe to Manchester.

Remeber pets can only enter the UK via air to one of three airports - Gatwick, Heathrow or Manchester.

Also, you need to get an export certificate from the office in bangkok airport 2 days before you leave. Now this is a pain in the butt as we are in Chaing Mai. Unless we go on a connecting flight, which we cant as thai airways wont take the dogs, from CM you can get it from there. so it looks like we need to go to BKK 2 days before and stay in a hotel with the dogs so we get this certificate..... im still researching this so double check this point

You also need a vet to confirm they have had tapeworm treatment, again check defras site, as I cant remember of the top of my head :)

so...... if all the injections/ blood tests/ paperwork, route into the uk are in line with the UK regulations and the dogs are booked on a flight that will accept their breed, it will be worth it and best of all no quarantine! woohoo. Unless you or I forget something ;)

oh...and just to add another thing to my list of things to do, Air Asia have just informed me my flight has been canceled to the UK ..... great! Suppose this means I will now fly with my dogs, as I was going to send them on a cargo flight alone, and I go on a cheapy flight to keep costs down. Typical!

BTW. Does anyone know if the UK charge import fees for the dogs going in?

That's a good question re the import fees though I don't think it likely. Just a thought CMExpat..did you say your dogs are Shitzu's?? If they weigh less than 8kgs each, providing you fly economy on the same flight, Finnair will allow one dog per passenger in the cabin in a soft doggy carry bag type thing. So that might be worth considering.

Unfortunately, my pug weighs 10.5 kgs so there's no way they'll let her in the cabin :(

I don't sure your pets have already test rabies antibody titer or not , I have more detail for giving you about how to testing about this issue, you can contact me if you can,

I've just send you a reply on your pm-request with the information on the Rabies anti-body testing, etc.

I don't sure your pets have already test rabies antibody titer or not , I have more detail for giving you about how to testing about this issue, you can contact me if you can,

I've just send you a reply on your pm-request with the information on the Rabies anti-body testing, etc.

Hi Nienke

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Rds

Channarong

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update this thread, as we are currently in the process of sending our dogs back to the UK.

We had a little hiccup regards timings,

it turns out you need to start the process (if going back to the uk anyway) about 4 months in advance and not 4.

The reason for this is you need to :

a) get the microchip inserted first

B) then get the rabies injection - you need to wait 30 days before you get the blood sample taken

c) once the 30 days has passed, then you can get the blood sample taken. We are at this stage and have sent the sample to an EU approved lab inthe uk on Thursday.

d) once the sample is ok'd the 3 month wait prior to entering the uk starts the date the blood sample was drawn.

I have also been enquiring about import fees into the UK, and I have since found out that yes, you do pay import fees.

Once our dogs arrive at heathrow they are taken to the animal recpetion centre. HM Customs then do their checks and we have been told that for both of our dogs the total will be around 400 gbp. so might be worth noting this.

tapeworm treatment also needs done now between 24-120 hours before entering the uk and recoded on an annex 2 certifice, which will be verified by the appropriate department in thailand ...this i am yet to find out

hope this helps anyone in a similar position

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any ideas on the import cost of 2 cats to the UK? Didn't know about this hidden cost!!!

Also - we have our cats Microchipped but didn't receieve a card from the vet - did we need one? Also where do we register the chip online?!!! She told us the the Trovan site but I have looked and cannot see anywere to register! help!

Used to be a set network in place and guidance from International Animal rescue,they were responsible for getting dozens of dogs back to the UK and EU. Skype them ,think they have centre in Goa for advice. I knew they were kept in Holland for a spell,but it was cheaply done.

cheekyweasel:

not sure if its the same cost for cats, allthough I presume it would be - but for import fees (ie clearance at HM Customs we have been quoted about 400 GBP so 200 GBP per dog. This however, is with a company named James Cargo.

Once our dogs land at heathrow, the animal reception centre will pick them up, do their checks - and then HM customs do there bit (which is what needs paid for)

In terms of microchip. Double check it is an ISO standard chip, this is so it can be read by the ARC at heathrow. Our dogs have chips by petrac thai. The vet gave us a temporary card, and we were sent an official certificate in the post a week later. Not 100% sure if this is needed on the UK side, but maybe call defra and double check.

Also we havnt registered the chip online as we have a certificate, and all of the dogs documents have the chip number on - not sure if i need to register it anywhere. But I do know wit petrac chips i can update the UK system with our british address when we get there.

Just an update on our move back to the uk with our shihtzus - as it may be of use to anyone else in the same position.

2 weeks ago (which was 30 days after the rabies injection) we had the dogs blood samples taken. The vet turned it into a serum for us, which took about 2 hours and cost 200 bt each.

We decided to send the samples ourselves to a defra approved lab in the uk. There are companies in thailand who can do this, but they charged a fortune so we just did it ourselves. We posted via ems, and included a gel icepack in the package to keep the serum as cool as possible.

Today we recieved confirmation that both serum samples were satisfactory and have an emailed copy of the certificate from the lab. We now awaiting the original hard copies to be sent via post. Cost for the rabies test on the samples is 50GBP as we asked for a posted certificate and the test where it measures the exact amount rather than a simple pass or fail result.

We have about 2.5 months to go before the dogs fly back home. so next step is getting the new version of the third country vet certificate validated (not sure who does this in chiang mai?), tapeworm treatment and export permit - so fingers crossed its easy-ish from here!

I know it was really cheap! it was the animal hospital next to the dunlop shop on the main road where the new big c is (ex carrefour) They have been brilliant with us. Originally they quoted us 12,000 bt! but that was to use a company in bangkok - the whole process including flights is a bit expensive hence we just opted to send ourselves :)

that cost was just for the blood sample, the turned into a serum. The postage we paid ourselve, which was a little more expensive at 1000bt - but I cant complain really :)

Nienke - do you happen to know anything about who and where I can get the third country vet certificate validated? Its a new form for the uk named annex 2 that is now being used, and is valid for 10 days (so i need to do this the week we fly the dogs home) Im in chiang mai, as you know, but finnair is telling us:

a)we need to be in bangkok 3 days before we fly as we need to take the dogs to the airport for a check by the vet there who will issue an export permit?

B) is it this place in bangkok who will give the tapeworm treatment and validate the official certificiate?

c)or do we do this in chiang mai, if so where and is it instant?

as the tapeworm treatment needs done between 24 and 150 hours before entering the uk, does that get done before the certificate is validated?

this bit is what is confusing me - thanks again as you have advised us via pm on other things about sending the dogs back for which we are very gratefull! jap.gif

That is the health certificate issued by Animal Quarantine Station. If your dogs go in transit in BKK you can arrange the health certificate in CM on the Huay Keaw Road.

And then you can do the tape worm treatment at your usual vet near (old) Carrefour. For this you need to bring the

VETERINARY CERTIFICATE FOR DOMESTIC DOGS, CATS AND FERRETS ENTERING THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY FOR NON-COMMERCIAL MOVEMENTS (Regulation (EC) No 998/2003) I think I've send you the link to this document already.

The vet needs to fill in, sign and stamp this paper, there where they talk about the tapeworm treatment. This paper you also have to bring with you to the AQS, who also needs to sign and stamp it.

If the dogs do NOT go in transit, but they fly domestic to BKK, then the health certificate etc has to be obtained at the AQS at Suvarnabhumi airport. You can actually go to BKK in the morning and arrange the health certificate the same day and fly further in the evening/night, provided all papers are in order.

But ... got to admit, if it was me ... it would not be good for my nerves and heart.

Thanks for the info on the vet. smile.png

Edited by Nienke

Last year I've send a 35 kilo boxer to his owner in France by cargo. Total costs BKK-Paris, including the BKK cargo agency was about 42,000 baht. CNX to BKK domestic was about 2,500 - 3,000 baht. I do not know about importation costs in Paris.

Would it be cheaper (and possible) to fly to the EU and then go by car to the UK with them? You may take them then as excess luggage, which is considerable cheaper. Just a thought.

Edited by Nienke

Im not sure for labs, but for my 2 shihtzus the cost for flights with finnair is about 22,000bt. Plus import fees at UK customs for both dogs is 400 GBP.

Was the quote you were given via a pet relocation agent, as they were the quotes I was getting about 5 months ago- which I agree is alot! hence we are doing it by ourselves.

Try contacting some of the airlines cargo department on the list of defra approved airlines directly and let them know the weight of your dogs including their carrier, plus the dogs dimensions.

Singapore airlines is a popular suggestion

Alternativly, air berlin go from BKK to germany, and you can take your dogs as excess baggae for about 200 euro each. BUT you cant go direct into the uk with this airline as its not approved nor can they go direct into the uk as excess baggage. UK rules state that dogs/ pets must go into the UK via air as cargo.

My advice is dont use a pet relocation agent, they charge a fortune. Remember too that if you havnt had your dogs micro chipped you need to start the process 4 months in advance to going home and not 3 months.

1)microchip dogs

2) then rabies injection (must be after step one)

3) wait 30 days

4) Blood serum sample to be taken and sent to a UK approved lab (see defra site)

5) wait 3 months

6) then you can enter the uk

the process seems daunting at first, and finding airlines has been tough, maybe more so for us as we have snub nosed dogs, but as you have labs all defra approved airlines should accept them.

Quick question here - I have asked DEFRA and various UK pet importers - so far little response..

We may need tor return to the UK soon - our Westie was exported from the UK ( Nov 2011 )and had the Rabiesvaccine, test, microchip,etc as per DEFRA and Thai import guidelines.

As she was certified some 5 months ago as Rabies free ( in a UK lab ) will she need to be tested again and wait for 3 months as per the above post?

Edited by chonabot

Quick question here - I have asked DEFRA and various UK pet importers - so far little response..

We may need tor return to the UK soon - our Westie was exported from the UK ( Nov 2011 )and had the Rabiesvaccine, test, microchip,etc as per DEFRA and Thai import guidelines.

As she was certified some 5 months ago as Rabies free ( in a UK lab ) will she need to be tested again and wait for 3 months as per the above post?

If you keep the Rabies vax up-to-date then this test does not have to be done again. Do keep the test result document, though.

Suggest Emirates through Dubai to UK. used them for my dogs in tha past ...excellent.

Does anyone have any advice on sending two dogs from Thailand to USA??

Best is to contact Soi Dog Foundation in Phuket about this. They have lots of (recent) experience with this.

Contact details: http://www.soidog.org/en/contact-us/