Rose Farm?

KRS1

Hello, does anyone know of a rose farm located in Thailand? Preferrably in the North around Chiang Mai, but i can travel if it is further around central or southern thailand.

I'm also curious to know where a good place would be to start a rose farm if any of you kind folk have some good advice.

Thanks for your help.

There was one, The King's, with some excellent stock at the top of Doi Ahnkhung which may well still be there. A few miles south of Fang on the 107 to Chiang Rai. Try googling Doi Angkhang on google-maps. I see the road to it has been designated 1249 from Mae Kha near Chai Prakan. I saw another in Khao Khor on the road north, 2196, to Khaem Son within a mile or three of the 2305 turn off. I don't know about quality.

You ask about a good place to start a rose unit. I would visit both the above and see what there is and how they do it. I consider that unless you live way uphill you are making a rod for your own back. The heat & wet of the sustained rains tends to make them spindly but I have seen some good ones with stout stems & good foliage/blooms that I suspect are covered during the rains. I believe they do this on Doi Ahnkhung & the farang unit in Khao Khor is in plastic sheds.

They are said to originate from Persia so they should be OK with heat but I think they like it dry with copious water to the roots & then to dry out. Pruning for well-open centres will be important here, too. Then there is pests. My wife insisted on buying some cheap rubbish last year & they're infested with thrips. I'd never seen 'em before - in UK. Slowly reducing them but I expect we will have them 'til the last rose gives up the ghost. They are dying off steadily, thank heavens, despite my sterling efforts.

Good Luck.

Edited by euca

Thank you very much for your observations, I have suspected Fang was one of the areas growing roses and have been wanting to take a trip up there to check out the situation.

Thank you again for the info. I wonder how much land is going for in that area. On a trip to Mae Sai I have taken the 107 and it is indeed a beautiful journey the entire way, up in the mountains with scenic views everywhere you look, like a little slice of heaven imo.

Thanks! now i just have to figure out where mae sot is.:unsure:

It is on the route 1 from Chiang Mai down to Bangkok.

Leave Chiang Mai by the route 11 to Lampang and follow the signs to BKK past Thoen and go through Tak and just after that turn right onto the route 105 signposted to Mae Sot but beware as there are very few gas stations from Tak to Mae Sot. After that you will need a GPS to find Watersedge GPS points of

There are a lot of roses grown in the mountains south of Mae Sot.

I know of one in particular at GPS coordinates

Thanks! now i just have to figure out where mae sot is.:unsure:

It is on the route 1 from Chiang Mai down to Bangkok.

Leave Chiang Mai by the route 11 to Lampang and follow the signs to BKK past Thoen and go through Tak and just after that turn right onto the route 105 signposted to Mae Sot but beware as there are very few gas stations from Tak to Mae Sot. After that you will need a GPS to find Watersedge GPS points of

There are a lot of roses grown in the mountains south of Mae Sot.

I know of one in particular at GPS coordinates

Thank you for all that info, sounds like quite an adventure just to get there .:)

I've been to that one, Mae Sot is in Tak province and is also mountainous.

Would you happen to remember if it was located on a hillside, plateau,down in a valley or level land on the mountain close to the road?

The Rose Farm that I saw south of Mae Sot was set back perhaps a kilometer off the main highway,

on a farm road.

It was on gently sloped land, as it must be convenient for continual working.

They drove small tractors between the rows.

It seems there there is continually someone out in those fields tending spraying and harvesting.

This is where Google Earth is handy using the GPS coordinates provided.

You can see all these things almost as if you are there.

I've also seen roses being grown, just north of Mae-Jo, about 10 km north of Chiang Mai, this is an area with many flower/plant-growers, who supply the gardening-market at Kantiem (behind Tesco/Lotus on the Super-Highway) in central-Chiang Mai. Hope that helps ?