Buying A Secondhand Car?

manfromoz

Hi everyone I hope someone can help me.

I am looking at buying a second hand car. Before everyone starts telling me things to look for (all of which will be greatly appreciated), my actual problem is how do I know what I am buying is ligitimate and not stolen? Also, what happens if the car is still under finance?

I am using a broker in Bangkok to find the car and so I am effectively buying from the supposed owner direct and the broker is taking a fee. But is there anyway, or any paperwork, that I can see before giving over the money that ensures the car is actually owned by the person I am making the cheque out too and no money is owing?

I figure that if I get past the registration transfer process, then things will be pretty set and that I now own the car, but before that the money has been delivered and deposited into the bank of the 'seller'.

Any thoughts, ideas etc?

Guest IT Manager

Ask to see the Tabien Lot. The owners name should be the same as his ID card, which you also ask for.

If not, ask why and get it clearly explained to someone who has a clear understanding. (Wife etc).

If in doubt, go on gut feeling. If it is the Bentley, ask for a copy of his Police ID.

:o

Every car has a registration document which is blue in colour and about 1/3rd A4 size. This lists the name of the owner. Simply check that the seller name is consistent with the ID card of the person selling it. Its all in Thai of course so you will need someone who can read Thai to double check that information. If the car is under finance, the finance company will hold the blue book and only provide a photocopy of the registration document in case of any police checks. Therefore if the owner cannot produce the blue book walk away. if it is under finance ascertain how much needs to be paid to the finance company and pay them directly.

Hope this helps.

Guest IT Manager

Thats the one digger. Called the Tabien Lot. If the car is under finance, he probably won't have it, as many companies hold it as security for the loan.

Not to say it doesn't happen.........

But remember folks that fake ID's can be pruchased along with ANY fake documents in Thailand for as little as 150 baht (fake Thai ID cards included).

So asking for the Tabien Lot, and ID doesnt mean 'jack'. Isn't there a tel number, or a company that can do a check like they do in western countrys? :o