Champions League Disaster Area

smokie36

Smokes is a bit bored with his spurs playing club europa.

We still have work to do because of a rookie (gomezesque) mistake but thought we played quite well overall. Created lots of chances.

Anyways, if we can't take a point from basel at home, we don't deserve to go through.

Wonder how mancini is feeling today?

apparently united need to avoid defeat but if benfica win united finish second? meaning they will draw bayern, madrid, barcelona, inter or zenit/apoel/porto?

hmm, i wonder which way that is going to go. apoel it is, first leg away.

Hallo Chelsea fans,

yes the headline of this thread said it, it was drama in Group E with Bayer Leverkusen scoring a last-gasp winner against Chelsea to virtually secure their place in the last 16 with a 2-1 victory. An injury time header from defender Manuel Friedrich saw the home side fight back from going a goal down, to inflict Chelsea's fourth defeat in seven matches and increase the pressure on under-fire manager Andre Villas-Boas. That result leaves Leverkusen on nine points, one clear of Chelsea and Valencia, who crushed Genk 7-0 at the Mestalla stadium.

Well done Bayer Leverkusen including Michael Ballack and coach Robin Dutt.

• 2 weeks later...

What a result for Lyon 7-1 win

Think they needed to make up a 8 or 9 goal difference and hope Ajax got beat - who lost 3-0.

And Joe Cole got a whole 70 mins and starting to find some form ohmy.gif

Very good point Devil.

First of all the only reason it came down to goal difference is that both teams had a draw against each other in the head to head.

Then I believe the match was started with a +4, -3 goal difference of 7 to make up.

At half time the Lyon game was level - 1-1 - and the goal difference still 5. However Lyon managed to score 6 goals in the second half (pretty magical that) and go through to the last 16.

P.S. Lyon had failed to score in 4 out of 5 of their previous CL matches.

Edited by Abrak

1323337786[/url]' post='4898931']
1323331591[/url]' post='4898705']

What a result for Lyon 7-1 win

Think they needed to make up a 8 or 9 goal difference and hope Ajax got beat - who lost 3-0.

And Joe Cole got a whole 70 mins and starting to find some form ohmy.gif

Very good point Devil.

First of all the only reason it came down to goal difference is that both teams had a draw against each other in the head to head.

Then I believe the match was started with a +4, -3 goal difference of 7 to make up.

At half time the Lyon game was level - 1-1 - and the goal difference still 5. However Lyon managed to score 6 goals in the second half (pretty magical that) and go through to the last 16.

P.S. Lyon had failed to score in 4 out of 5 of their previous CL matches.

Maybe Darkhorse's to go on further depending on the luck of the draw? I certainly wasn't expecting that result in any case. Joe Cole probably cant believe his luck right now - good for him. I am sure he wants the permanent move now.

Joe Cole is playing for Lille.........

They finished bottom of their group. So not even Europa League for Joe.

Dont be so bloody pedantic...

dabhand is just putting dev straight, whats pedantic about that 40.gif

Well said Alfredo.wink.gif

The prediction of an all English final...well I'm praying it distracts the Mancs....I'd love it etc....biggrin.gif

Edited by smokie36

You have too much time on your hands smokie. :D

To be fair they were both getting beat when I started the thread....Chelsea are my tip to flop tonight....here's hoping anyway. biggrin.gif

Your predictions haven't been very good of late have they Smokie, please predict Man City will wipe the floor with us on Monday night haha :rolleyes:

I would like to give a shout out to apoel nicosia for topping their group. Spent a few months there a few years back and still have some close friends.

Not bad for a city of a few hundred thousand. Won't last long I know, but if you compare their squad/budget with the red and blue halves of manchester, makes their acheivement much more impressive.

I would like to give a shout out to apoel nicosia for topping their group. Spent a few months there a few years back and still have some close friends.

Not bad for a city of a few hundred thousand. Won't last long I know, but if you compare their squad/budget with the red and blue halves of manchester, makes their acheivement much more impressive.

I always suspected you were a DEA agent James. You'll never catch me! cool.gif

• 2 months later...

Look I thought we had the best league in the business. That when Liverpool didnt qualify for CL, I could say, well if they had done they would probably have made the semis.

And I was expecting City to give Barca a run for their money.

Now Arsenal 4-0. Bloody hell.

Look I thought we had the best league in the business.

Premier League clubs failing to do well in the Champion's League doesn't prove we don't have the best league in the business, any more than those years when we have done very well, proved we do. Champion's League simply proves which league has the best club in Europe. The best club may play in the best league, it may not. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Look I thought we had the best league in the business.

Premier League clubs failing to do well in the Champion's League doesn't prove we don't have the best league in the business, any more than those years when we have done very well, proved we do. Champion's League simply proves which league has the best club in Europe. The best club may play in the best league, it may not. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

agreed but this is not Barca or Madrid we are talking about....

City, United and now Arsenal looked to have been pushed out by relative minor players. And I am claiming nothing for Liverpool that doesnt seem to be able to live with these guys.

A couple of years ago we had 3 of the 4 semi-finalists. We will be lucky to have one team in the last 8 this year.

I am simply asking should we believe SAF that said Utd would be in the final if they had qualified or should we perhaps consider our teams are not quite as great as we all think?

I am simply asking should we believe SAF that said Utd would be in the final if they had qualified or should we perhaps consider our teams are not quite as great as we all think?

We all think? I don't think we do, do we?

Possibly not... just ingrained in Camus I guess

Everybody thinks it's just the degree of which people can communicate their thoughts, anyway IMO the decline in english champions league performances has very strong links to the decline in the pounds value.

Interesting point.

I didnt know that the pound had declined that much of late. More to the point the 'Euro' countries have been raising taxes quite aggressively. I think for instance that in Spain the top rate of tax has gone from 24% to 52% in the last 4 years. VAT has increased from 16% to 20%.