Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 2011 Fuel Injection

rinteln

Hi everyone,

I have heard a rumour about a new fuel injection Nouvo coming out this year.

Has anyone heard anything about this and even better does anyone know of a supplier either in Pattaya or Bangkok that are currently stocking them.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Those rumors have been flying around for the past two years. Keep in mind that the Elegance sells for 52000 baht whereas its primary competitor the PCX sells for 75000 baht. Also that in spite of fuel injection and other gee whiz high tech of the PCX the Elegance will match if for fuel economy while offering a 10 c.c. larger engine. and 10 kph higher top speed. Yamaha has long had fuel injection bikes in other markets--eg. the Xmax so it's not that the company can't put a fuel injection market out there, it just decided not to do so at this time. As is....the 135 c.c. Elegance engine apparently has a more advanced carburetor than its 115 c.c. Nouvo MX predecessor. I am looking at Wikipedia's entry for the Nouvo right now. In the specs columns for the 115 c.c. model the carburetor is a Mikuni BS25/1 type carburetor. The 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance got a Mikuni BS26/1 type carburetor with TPS system

I'm not a mechanic so make of this what you will,but my reading tells me the 115 c.c. engine did not have this setup whereas the 135 c.c. engine used in the Elegance does. I had the 115 c.c. MX and I will tell you this......the Elegance most definitely gets better fuel economy and it most certainly has a lot more oomph. I think Yamaha simply came out with a much better engine than its predecessor, one that would run rings around its Honda competitor at that time and that for the past several years it has decided not to tamper with what it considers a good thing when such tampering would no doubt substantially increase its price and cause an adverse effect on its market share.

Edited by jackcorbett

Two months ago I was told by the dealer here in town (Chiang Mai) that the new models were not to be fuel injected (for what that's worth), but of course the alloy-wheeled bike is equipped with tubeless tires. Up here, though, they ask thousands more for the bike (but the PCX is higher than 'suggested' price as well). You'll have to check prices in your own community.

Much more than fuel injection what I'd like to see Yamaha do is to increase the capacity of its fuel tank from its present 4.8 liters to at least the 6.2 liters of the PCX. I am wondering how that can be designed without altering the bike very much. We are only talking about half a gallon here to result in an overall capacity of 6.7 liters This means less time fueling up while I'm driving my normal rounds here in the city plus if anyone were ever to go out into the country side cruising around one has substantially more range available to him without having to hunt down gas stations in the boonies.

Fuel injection is a great idea but the Elegance equals the 125 cc PCX in fuel economy and the local little shops can repair any carburetor problems if necessary. Sometime back I got some very dirty fuel and the local shop cleaned it up and charged my wife a whopping 90 baht.

And I agree with jack, the Elegance needs a bigger fuel tank.

Thanks for the answers so far.

It looks like the fuel injection is nowhere to be seen at the moment. Even had a chat with a guy down at a local shop here in Pattaya and he said if it was out he would have it.

Maybe next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Those rumors have been flying around for the past two years. Keep in mind that the Elegance sells for 52000 baht whereas its primary competitor the PCX sells for 75000 baht. Also that in spite of fuel injection and other gee whiz high tech of the PCX the Elegance will match if for fuel economy while offering a 10 c.c. larger engine. and 10 kph higher top speed. Yamaha has long had fuel injection bikes in other markets--eg. the Xmax so it's not that the company can't put a fuel injection market out there, it just decided not to do so at this time. As is....the 135 c.c. Elegance engine apparently has a more advanced carburetor than its 115 c.c. Nouvo MX predecessor. I am looking at Wikipedia's entry for the Nouvo right now. In the specs columns for the 115 c.c. model the carburetor is a Mikuni BS25/1 type carburetor. The 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance got a Mikuni BS26/1 type carburetor with TPS system

The primary competitor for the Elegance is NOT the PCX. I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. The primary competitor is the Honda airblade. Smaller engine size so the top speed isn't as good, but has fuel injection and better handling according to most. It's not seen much in BKK but in Pattaya you'll see plenty. Price is about 55Ks and in my opinion is a much nicer looking bike.

The primary competitor for the Elegance is NOT the PCX. I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. The primary competitor is the Honda airblade. Smaller engine size so the top speed isn't as good, but has fuel injection and better handling according to most. It's not seen much in BKK but in Pattaya you'll see plenty. Price is about 55Ks and in my opinion is a much nicer looking bike.

That 'smaller engine size' 110 vs 135, in the case of the Elegance, is not only related to top speed, but telling in hills and mountains - makes for more than a minor difference. Tires on Airblade are 14" - if that is important to anyone. I am not certain that the Airblade's alloy wheels come with tubeless tires as the two others do? In any case, Nouvo Elegance specs are closer to the PCX than yon Airblade, and that includes smoother rides on the flat during suburban cruises, according to notes I made from rental comparisons.

But the Airblade certainly is more popular than the Elegance and also, of course, a Honda - beloved brand of this nation.

That 'smaller engine size' 110 vs 135, in the case of the Elegance, is not only related to top speed, but telling in hills and mountains - makes for more than a minor difference. Tires on Airblade are 14" - if that is important to anyone. I am not certain that the Airblade's alloy wheels come with tubeless tires as the two others do? In any case, Nouvo Elegance specs are closer to the PCX than yon Airblade, and that includes smoother rides on the flat during suburban cruises, according to notes I made from rental comparisons.

But the Airblade certainly is more popular than the Elegance and also, of course, a Honda - beloved brand of this nation.

That all may be true, and the Elegance is probably all round better than an Airblade, but that is not my point. The Elegance is a scooter just like an Airblade, Click or Mio, it's just the top of the range Yamaha scooter and the Airblade is the top of the range Honda scooter. They both have a similar price accordingly. The PCX was built for a different purpose and Yamaha don't really make anything in Thailand that is similar.

That all may be true, and the Elegance is probably all round better than an Airblade, but that is not my point. The Elegance is a scooter just like an Airblade, Click or Mio, it's just the top of the range Yamaha scooter and the Airblade is the top of the range Honda scooter. They both have a similar price accordingly. The PCX was built for a different purpose and Yamaha don't really make anything in Thailand that is similar.

Could you elaborate a little more in the PCX's 'different purpose' please :)

Could you elaborate a little more in the PCX's 'different purpose' please :)

Well in my opinion i would say that the majority of people that buy a PCX aren't looking for the quick, nippy urban scooter with an added bit of engine power when needed. (Which is what an Elegance is) Just looking at the PCX it's clear the design is for comfort and cruising when on an open road. It's certainly not designed for accelleration, top speed and convenient city use, as most would agree when they are trying to park the damned thing.

Are you sure you want to be correcting everyone when they are stating that the primary competitor for the Nouvo Elegance is the PCX by saying it's the Air Blade, and not the PCX, that competes head to head against the Elegance? I might be missing something here, but from what I've seen, there's not been a brand new Air Blade on any of the dealer's showrooms around here for well over a year now. And from what I've gleaned, the PCX has replaced the Air Blade. If the rest of us are wrong can you give us the names of the dealers where we can buy those new Air Blades?

Kind of agree with macknife - NE and PCX really don't have that much in common. Yamaha just doesn't have anything like the PCX (and Honda doesn't have a 135cc scooter either).

Both are the top end scooter for each brand, but the similarities end there:

- New design vs. not so new (note I did not say the PCX is pretty... just that it's new)

- 75k vs 56k, quite a huge difference

- 125cc vs 135

- Huge vs standard scooter size

If you pick just one of these, I'd say the price alone dictates that they're not direct competitors. If honda thought about taking away sales from the NE, they wouldn't make a bike that costs nearly 50% more.

If the Air Blade competes against the Elegance it must be available on the market. It isn't. It was. Past tense.

Well you would be wrong then. They have the new models in Bangkok, Sukhumvit 71. I have also seen them in showrooms up country. I've seen the brochures showing the new models in a few showrooms, though they didn't actually have the bike itself on show. You are right that you don't see them in many showrooms, I presume because they don't sell well anymore. Probably because the Thais won't part with 55,000-59,000Baht when they can buy a Click or Scoopy for 10-15,000Baht less. It doesn't mean they don't exist though because they do and are the direct competitor to the Elegance.

The Elegance is the 'sporty' scooter, ie probably the fastest. The PCX is a 'luxury' cruising scooter.

It's like saying a Honda City 2.0L sports model (whatever they call it) is in competition with a Toyota Camry 1.8L family car, or would you compare say a Yamaha YZF 250R with a Honda Phantom 200?? Afterall they both need you to pull the clutch lever to change gear.