Accident In Mae Jo

jackr

Happened around 6pm at the main lights not long before I went past. Heard the girl stopped at the lights and a truck plowed into them... one killed and other taken to hospital. Anyone have news on condition of survivor?

It's not the first time, or the last, an accident has happened at those lights. We were once waiting to turn right to Sansai, and a truck went straight through the red lights and took out a motorbike doing a u-turn from the other direction. The truck didn't stop, but some other bikers took off after him. The bike rider was killed outright. Sadly, it is just the way things are here..

I think I want to buy a heavy and solid car which can stand some light to medium impact. I used to own a 1960 Buick Electra 225, fully automatic with steel bumpers. It was heavy and solid. I got another 1974 Buick Skylark with a flimsy body and bumpers. One night both cars were parked in front of my house with the Skylark in front. Some car hit the Electra in the back which drove it to hit the back of the Skylark. The Skylark was all banged up with the trunk door flipped open. The Electra was undamaged at all.

i passed the accident tonight, the body was covered on the road under a cover, the truck which also had a trailer attached, huge thing, had the motorbike under its front wheels another 40yds past the traffic lights, it was my guess that the lorry ran the red lights, but also possible the bike could have, as they do, run the reds the opposite way in anticipation.

will they ever learn, i doubt it.

I always try to count to 3 after my light goes green, and i don`t care if the prat behind me is honking either...R.IP.

Agree 100%. Taking off the second the light turns green is about as dangerous as jumping it by 3 seconds anywhere else in the world.

I always try to count to 3 after my light goes green, and i don`t care if the prat behind me is honking either...R.IP.

If you read the original post you'll see the accident was caused when the girl stopped for a red light, not because she went immediately after the light turned green.

It's a problem everywhere, but especially in Thailand; if you stop when the light turns red you risk being run over by the driver behind you who doesn't want to stop for the red light. If you don't stop when the light turns red you risk being run over by a cross-traffic driver who drives immediately after, if not before, his light turns green.

Always remember that you are sharing the road with inexperienced, untrained, inebriated, and otherwise dangerous drivers. Be alert and try to anticipate some act of stupidity from the other drivers.

My sympathies to the unfortunate girl and all who cared for her.

Edited by heybruce

i passed the accident tonight, the body was covered on the road under a cover, the truck which also had a trailer attached, huge thing, had the motorbike under its front wheels another 40yds past the traffic lights, it was my guess that the lorry ran the red lights, but also possible the bike could have, as they do, run the reds the opposite way in anticipation.

will they ever learn, i doubt it.

Yes, girl was on the deck in the middle of the junction, scores of rubberneckers both sides. She apparently stopped - perhaps waiting to do a u-ey - at the same lights as the truck.

A few minutes after, there was almost another - involving another truck - driving like an absolute loony right into the traffic, weaving left and right and braking heavily intimidating people in front. They really are complete bastards. This road is a nightmare around this time, particularly the stretch from the lights heading north, as there are loads of cars parked up going into the markets (much like Ruam Chok, past Meechok), creating a bottleneck and forcing everyone out into the traffic. You then have un-helmeted students piling out of the uni, heading into the maelstrom for something to eat.

Hoping the other girl is pulling through.

If you read the original post you'll see the accident was caused when the girl stopped for a red light, not because she went immediately after the light turned green.

It's a problem everywhere, but especially in Thailand; if you stop when the light turns red you risk being run over by the driver behind you who doesn't want to stop for the red light. If you don't stop when the light turns red you risk being run over by a cross-traffic driver who drives immediately after, if not before, his light turns green.

Always remember that you are sharing the road with inexperienced, untrained, inebriated, and otherwise dangerous drivers. Be alert and try to anticipate some act of stupidity from the other drivers.

I believe he did read the original post and was also giving yet another bit of advice on the care that must be taken at a stop light.

Maybe instead of second guessing others post and trying to to be a wise ass, you could channel your thoughts (assuming your capable) into more useful comments that may benefit others. But then again, that may be a lot to ask.

Not to disagree with anything said about the dangers of driving here, I wanted to agree the post about that particular stretch of road being quite congested and chaotic in the evening rush.

On top of that though - if the accident happened where it looked like it did from the fresh looking white outlines I saw this morning - at the corner of Mae Jo Uni, and the three way intersection with the San Sai road - I think that there is also something that could be done with the traffic lights. That set of lights is much older looking and much less bright and visible than the ones before, even the light just before (going north) at a much more minor intersection. And because of the placement of the big green directional sign, and the lights themselves (because of being a 3-way intersection I guess), I find the light a bit harder to see, and on my very first drive up that road, saw it a bit later than I would have liked, and I'm a pretty cautious driver.

I'm not at all saying that contributed to this tragedy, but in my view it could contribute to another one, and perhaps a better set of lights there might at least raise the profile of the intersection, get more driver attention, and make another failure to stop a little less likely?

I think I want to buy a heavy and solid car which can stand some light to medium impact. I used to own a 1960 Buick Electra 225, fully automatic with steel bumpers. It was heavy and solid. I got another 1974 Buick Skylark with a flimsy body and bumpers. One night both cars were parked in front of my house with the Skylark in front. Some car hit the Electra in the back which drove it to hit the back of the Skylark. The Skylark was all banged up with the trunk door flipped open. The Electra was undamaged at all.

Ha, but in build quality even the Electra didn't match my Dusenberg. They stopped making good cars not long after that. :(

Gee, paulbrun, you just reaffirm my decision not to buy a motorcycle. Reflex and eyesight are just not like they used to be.

Reflexes or not, it doesn't matter if you have lightning reflexes if some truck plows into you from behind.

It's so sad, and happens multiple times per day all over Thailand. :( R.I.P.

So sad but yet very true!

RIP and hope the injured student pulls through!

On top of that though - if the accident happened where it looked like it did from the fresh looking white outlines I saw this morning - at the corner of Mae Jo Uni, and the three way intersection with the San Sai road - I think that there is also something that could be done with the traffic lights.

It's not very clever all-round really. To add to that is the tarmac on the southbound side. It gets pushed up badly by a combination of heavy trucks, heat, and dodgy substrate I would say, so if you catch it on a bike at any sort of speed (which I have done), you go airborne. They need to concrete it. The other main bad spot is the U-ey by the first market... there's probably a mishap there every other time I go past at night. Luckily, though, they blanked off the first U-ey as that was notorious for bike crashes, where students would dash across directly into the main gates.

Gee, paulbrun, you just reaffirm my decision not to buy a motorcycle. Reflex and eyesight are just not like they used to be.

Reflexes or not, it doesn't matter if you have lightning reflexes if some truck plows into you from behind.

It's so sad, and happens multiple times per day all over Thailand. :( R.I.P.

This is what the rear mirrors are used for, just keep far to the left when a big truck is behind you and let it pass. However in most cases they are used as make up mirrors.

Count three seconds? That is funny.

On a thread about such a tragic event, why is that funny? R.I.P to the girl and hope the other one makes it through.

Agreed. I had a situation the other day where the light had turned red as I approached the intersection and I braked and stopped. The big pick-up truck behind me which was literally right on my ass, began honking his horn several times for me to go through the red light so he could go through it too! The driver of the truck was very aggressive and and when the light turned green he quickly pulled to the left of me and looked down at me, gave me a dirty look and sped in front of me!

I do the same, I don't actually count to three but how long I wait adds up to 3 seconds or so...Just yesterday at the mae jo road and third ring heading south, I came to the intersection on a red light (just turning red), some three seconds later a truck in the slow lane (lane next to me) comes barelling through (guess about 80km) through the intersection..had there been someone who would had jumped or left on time from the right side to come through would have been killed by this driver..

Absouletely craziness and stupidity on whomever that driver was...All for what ? to save three minutes of waiting at a light. vs the risk of a major traiffic accident..

I wish there was an effective traiffic police force at work in this country. It starts with enforcement in order to get compliance....

CB

In Austin, TX, the unwritten rule was: when your light turns green wait for three more cars to go through.

I saw cop cars and even a school bus run reds. Ain't nobody gonna tell Bubba or Somchai how to drive.

I believe he did read the original post and was also giving yet another bit of advice on the care that must be taken at a stop light.

Maybe instead of second guessing others post and trying to to be a wise ass, you could channel your thoughts (assuming your capable) into more useful comments that may benefit others. But then again, that may be a lot to ask.

My reply started by pointing out that the girl was killed by stopping for a red light, not by proceeding when the light turned green. I see nothing inappropriate or "wise ass" about that, in fact, since I was once nearly run over by a songthaew when I stopped for a red light I thought it very appropriate to point out this risk. I don't recommend running red lights, but advise checking the rear-view mirror before stopping at a light that just turned red.

I followed with a statements about the risks of driving in Thailand and the need for vigilance. Statements of the obvious to people familiar with driving in this country, but perhaps useful to people still new to Thailand's roads.

Your reply contains no information that benefits others and strikes me as wise ass. Funny isn't it; you are the person you are complaining about.

Edited by heybruce

My reply started by pointing out that the girl was killed by stopping for a red light, not by proceeding when the light turned green. I see nothing inappropriate or "wise ass" about that, in fact, since I was once nearly run over by a songthaew when I stopped for a red light I thought it very appropriate to point out this risk. I don't recommend running red lights, but advise checking the rear-view mirror before stopping at a light that just turned red.

I followed with a statements about the risks of driving in Thailand and the need for vigilance. Statements of the obvious to people familiar with driving in this country, but perhaps useful to people still new to Thailand's roads.

Your reply contains no information that benefits others and strikes me as wise ass. Funny isn't it; you are the person you are complaining about.

+1 :D

It's so sad, and

happens multiple times per day all over Thailand. :( R.I.P.

Winnie, I accept what you said if such an inevitable should occur. Like Semper has said, looking at the rear mirror does help. For myself, I had avoided many potential disasters because of my quick reflexes at my younger age. Now I don't feel like I used to - feeling myself invincible.

I feel really sorry for the victims like you and other posters here.