Driving Without License In Pattaya

pauljones

As noted above, no licence = no insurance, consider what happens if you kill someone?

Who are you going to kill on a scooter ?

The 125 bikes in Thailand are not Scooters they are Motor Cycles, sold as Motor Cycles and called Motor Cycles by the manufacture, they can do over 100kms per hour, 38 people are killed in Thailand every day by Motor Cycle Accidents, the most deaths of foreigners visiting Thailand on holidays are from Motor Cycle accidents, this is a fact, and in most cases it is the Farangs fault, ride one at your own risk but be prepared to suffer the consequences with no licence, no insurance,, that is if you are still alive,,,

are you sure its less than 14.000 people dead in TH on bikes a year? Last stats I read was over 20.000

anyhow, here in Phuket it used to be one dead every day, 360 a year, its been significantly reduced due to

DL enforcement

helmet enforcement

daytime headlights

2011 seems to stop at 200 causalties, and yes farang are over represented on this stat

You could be correct, I got that number a few years ago, so would have gone up by now, no licence and no insurance, not a good idea.

If I - as a falang - was involved in an accident with the OP, and had no DL so was not covered by insurance, and injured him or his loved ones, how would he feel then ?

If the shoe was on the other foot, I can tell you how I would feel ...

The insurance your small bike would have (very few have anything other than the compulsory insurance) would not cover him or his loved ones anyway, driving license or not. How do you feel about that!

People should really know the facts of the system before jumping to conclusions and making sweeping statements...

Edited by madjbs

The insurance your small bike would have (very few have anything other than the compulsory insurance) would not cover him or his loved ones anyway, driving license or not. How do you feel about that!

People should really know the facts of the system before jumping to conclusions and making sweeping statements...

Your wrongly assuming everyone gets the cheapest insurance possible. Every one does not think like you and most expats I know have full coverage with very high medical and property damage for both parties. It is you that should not generalize and make sweeping statements when you are only comparing things to yourself and the class of people you associate with. I prefer to put a higher price on my life and that of others, thank you very much...

As noted above, no licence = no insurance, consider what happens if you kill someone?

Who are you going to kill on a scooter ?

You disappoint me Spoonman, as I thought you were brighter than that. You must be just taking the piss out of us as I can not think of a single person I have ever met that would ask a totally insane question as that.

Must agree, any one can be killed by a pedal bike let alone a 200lb scooter. ;)

You have a bit of a chip on your shoulder don't you, you have no idea what class of people I associate with or what type of insurance I have, so keep your silly statements to yourself.

I stand by my statement that 99% of small bikes only have the compulsory insurance and that insurance does not cover third party damage or injury. That is a fact. Driving with no license on such bikes in my opinion is not being irresponsible to others as the only person who you are preventing receiving cover is yourself. Do you understand that?

Oh and I am not wrongly assuming anything, anyone who has been here any amount of time or even has half a brain would know that most people who use small 100cc type bikes have nothing more than the legal required cover.

Edited by madjbs

You have a bit of a chip on your shoulder don't you, you have no idea what class of people I associate with or what type of insurance I have, so keep your silly statements to yourself.

I stand by my statement that 99% of small bikes only have the compulsory insurance and that insurance does not cover third party damage or injury. That is a fact.

No chip on my shoulder, I just tell it like it is. It's not my problem you can not be man enough to admit that your wrong.

I stand by my statement that 99% of small bikes only have the compulsory insurance and that insurance does not cover third party damage or injury. That is a fact. Driving with no license on such bikes in my opinion is not being irresponsible to others as the only person who you are preventing receiving cover is yourself. Do you understand that?

Oh and I am not wrongly assuming anything, anyone who has been here any amount of time or even has half a brain would know that most people who use small 100cc type bikes have nothing more than the legal required cover.

"Driving with no license on such bikes in my opinion is not being irresponsible to others as the only person who you are preventing receiving cover is yourself. Do you understand that?"

quote:

I'm having a hard time imagining that you actually believe what your saying. I feel sorry for you Pal, I really do. Your in for a very rude awakening one of these days and when it happens, I hope you don't take down anyone else with you.

Edited by hedonist44

Your in for a very rude awakening one of these days and when it happens, I hope you don't take down anyone else with you.

Did I say I was talking ABOUT myself? NO, didn't think so, so cut the stupid comments.

Anyhow, you are the one who doesn't seem to understand which insurance provides what cover, and what most people have. So actually it is going to be you who is in for a rude awakening.

Edited by madjbs

Ok, so you think that most of the small bikes you see around (and even the ones farangs own) have high levels of insurance cover.... :lol:

Naive is the word.....

"Your wrongly assuming everyone gets the cheapest insurance possible. Every one does not think like you and most expats I know have full coverage with very high medical and property damage for both parties. "

The above is what I said to you, I did not say that I thought most of the small bikes had high end insurance. Please do not miss quote me just to try and justify your limited mentality on the subject at hand. Now give it a rest, your boring me.

Actually you wrongly quoted me to begin with :lol:

All I did to begin with was lay out some FACTS, some which you don't like to accept, probably due to your limited experience on how things work here.

Edited by madjbs

Oh and you still need to explain how somebody who doesn't have a driving license is being any more socially irresponsible to other peoples lives than someone who does with the compulsory insurance. Neither person has coverage for third parties so how is the first person being more irresponsible? (assuming both can ride the bike equally well).

It is for this reason I believe that the official consequences for driving without a license here are very mild compared to the West.

And before you mention it, we are not talking about your Harley riding mates with their weekend trophy bikes that they insure to the max, but the millions of small bikes, 99% of which don't have anything more than compulsory insurance.

Edited by madjbs

Oh and you still need to explain how somebody who doesn't have a driving license is being any more socially irresponsible to other peoples lives than someone who does with the compulsory insurance. Neither person has coverage for third parties so how is the first person being more irresponsible? (assuming both can ride the bike equally well).

It is for this reason I believe that the official consequences for driving without a license here are very mild compared to the West.

And before you mention it, we are not talking about your Harley riding mates with their weekend trophy bikes that they insure to the max, but the millions of small bikes, 99% of which don't have anything more than compulsory insurance.

Ummm. The Thai compulsory insurance is in fact a "third party" insurance.

http://www.e-insurethailand.com/motorbike_compulsory.htm

So if you do not have the insurance then yes you are being irresponsible.

If that is the case then yes, true. It would be irresponsible at it would invalidate the third party cover.

I also used to believe that the compulsory insurance covered third party injuries, but was told otherwise by Katabeachbum on another thread and as he is a highway police volunteer I assumed he has the correct info?

Edited by madjbs

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4723487

Maybe Katabeachbum is wrong on this one then as a few things on the internet seem to suggest it is ONLY third party cover :blink:

Kata, can you shed some light on it?

compulsory Insurance presently covers max 50k baht pp medical, up from previous 15k baht, suggested to be moved up to 200k baht, which of course will increase the present price of couple hundred baht/year for a scoot. What i do not know is how many pp the compulsory covers

a good additional 3rd party covers 10 x 1 million baht pluss 5 million baht property, in addition to the compulsorys cover

irresponisbility is not an issue for foreigners as one usually remains in jail until paid or posted significant bail

It's not very responsible to come here and ride around without a valid license.

Thai's may get away with flouting the law but falang should strive to follow the laws.

But, if your not am experienced rider....you may end up a RT statistic anyway! huh.gif

Your wrongly assuming everyone gets the cheapest insurance possible. Every one does not think like you and most expats I know have full coverage with very high medical and property damage for both parties. It is you that should not generalize and make sweeping statements when you are only comparing things to yourself and the class of people you associate with. I prefer to put a higher price on my life and that of others, thank you very much...

99,99% of all scoots have nothing more than the compulsory insurance covering close to nothing. Including my scoots. I have full 1st class on my big bikes, cars and trucks

In addition many scoots, bikes and cars have no compulsory insurance at all, no valid tax sticker, including all the bikes riding around without being booked and plated

So evryone does get the cheapest "insurance" possible, or have no insurance at all. Stats and facts