Residents Want 'Big Bag' Torn Down

Lite Beer

Residents want 'Big Bag' torn down

The Nation on Sunday

Residents from 13 communities in Thanyaburi near Khlong Rangsit Prayoonsak called yesterday for the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) to dismantle the "Big Bag" flood embankment in two days - or they would dismantle it themselves.

Residents from areas near Khor Por Or intersection on Phaholyothin Road in Bangkok also urged FROC to tear down the "Big Bag" embankment, saying water levels on both sides of the barrier were similar. They urged officials to pump water out quickly.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on her weekly TV and radio show yesterday that floods in Bangkok and nearby areas had improved significantly as water in many areas was going down and some areas were already dry.

The Royal Irrigation Department (RID) was speedily draining floodwater into the Chao Phraya River, especially through Khlong Rangsit, and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) officials were draining water through its pump stations, so the situation had improved and lessened the risks of inner Bangkok being affected.

In regard to Greater Bangkok, Yingluck said the flood draining committee and RID would talk with the BMA governor and governors of six adjacent provinces to find a mutual solution to adjust the flood-draining plan as the direction of flood water had changed.

She said the "Big Bag" embankment may be re-adjusted or dismantled in part to drain water more effectively, while more pumps would be installed at various places.

With agencies and organisations hosting a "Big Cleaning Day" and post-flood aid campaigns, Yingluck said she had assigned Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk to find and install more pumps. Currently there are 200 on the west side of the Chao Phraya and 200 in Nonthaburi.

She urged officials in affected provinces to survey and approve Bt5,000 in flood aid to families who suffered more than a week of flooding and up to Bt30,000 for flood-damaged homes.

Yingluck said the Strategic Formulation Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM) had met and agreed to ask international agencies with experts from The Netherlands and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to give recommendations and exchange experience with Thailand, as well as look at water management problems in 1-3 months and help Thailand to formulate future plans.

The meeting also appointed two subcommittees, she said. The first one will focus on urgent projects and be chaired by former permanent secretary for Agriculture Pitipong Puengboon Na Ayutthaya. The second one, to focus on long-term projects and sustainable water management, would be chaired by former Royal Irrigation Department chief Kijja Pholphasi.

Meanwhile, PM's adviser for flood draining, Uthen Chatpinyo, said he had proposed that FROC open the "Big Bag" embankment on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road's downstream area from Khlong Premprachakorn sluice gate at three to four spots, each at up to 10m long, to let water through to Khlong Premprachakorn. He also called for water-pushing machines under Khlong Premprachakorn Bridge.

BMA Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said, after inspecting various areas where water was going down in Bangkok that officials couldn't open Khlong Phraya Suren sluice gate, which is currently open at one-metre-wide, any more - as Pathum Thani people had requested - because it would flood Sukhapibal 5, Sai Mai and Wacharapol.

In related news, Kasetsart University president Wutthichai Kapinkan said yesterday that flood damage to the university was initially estimated at Bt500 million but the university should be dry by tomorrow, and would host a big clean-up on Wednesday. It should open the new semester on Dec 19.

He said the university had consulted with the Agriculture Ministry to build a permanent floodwall, 1-2 kilometres long, to the North along Khlong Bang Khen to prevent floods in the future.

The Engineering Institute yesterday dispatched 200 volunteer engineers to assist people in 2,000 flood-affected homes, who applied for help to inspect homes after the water subsided. The institute also provides advice over the phone on 080-812-3733 and 080-812-3743 free-of-charge.

Meanwhile, Real Estate Broker Association president Somsak Muneepeerakul yesterday warned homeowners not to rush to sell flood-affected properties as they may get prices that are 10-20 per cent down from what they seek. He said people should wait for another six months after the flood goes down.

In related news, the Public Health Ministry re-launched flood-aid hotlines; the mental health hotline is 1323, the Disease Control hotline is 1422, the chronic patients' hotline is 1668 (and press 1), the accident and emergency hotline is 1669 and the ministry's flood relief centre is 02 5901994.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-27

I'm dialing 1323 immediately this is outragous!

Yes please and whilst you are on the phone report the fact of residents being told if you intend to sell your property Wait for 6 months and you can simply state " oh No we were not flooded that was Somjais house down the road.

It doesn't matter what country you are in Real Estate Agents are scoundrels:

Quote [Meanwhile, Real Estate Broker Association president Somsak Muneepeerakul yesterday warned homeowners not to rush to sell flood-affected properties as they may get prices that are 10-20 per cent down from what they seek. He said people should wait for another six months after the flood goes down].

Even though the field is strong this year Real Estate Broker Association president Somsak Muneepeerakul is considered to be a strong contender for Scoundrel of the Year.

Yes please and whilst you are on the phone report the fact of residents being told if you intend to sell your property Wait for 6 months and you can simply state " oh No we were not flooded that was Somjais house down the road.

Quote [Meanwhile, Real Estate Broker Association president Somsak Muneepeerakul yesterday warned homeowners not to rush to sell flood-affected properties as they may get prices that are 10-20 per cent down from what they seek. He said people should wait for another six months after the flood goes down].

Even though the field is strong this year Real Estate Broker Association president Somsak Muneepeerakul is considered to be a strong contender for Scoundrel of the Year.

How does advising people not to sell until the market improves make him a "scoundrel"? It would be wrong if he advised them to sell now at 10-20% less. Your post makes no sense

That would be a great thread. "Scoundrel of the Year". Someone out there that can start a thread please do it. I would but my membership does not allow me to start a new thread.

That would be a great thread. "Scoundrel of the Year". Someone out there that can start a thread please do it. I would but my membership does not allow me to start a new thread.

I suspect that the ensuing thread would be too big for the Thai Visa server to handle.

If he's a Real Estate Agent, you can bet he is definately a scoundrel and he's out to make all the money he can. He advise the homeowners not to sell for 6 months, he's got a plan and it's NOT in the homeowners best interest.

Edited by ralphlsasser

How does advising people not to sell until the market improves make him a "scoundrel"? It would be wrong if he advised them to sell now at 10-20% less. Your post makes no sense

Maybe you are right but I am positive if you were buying a property in six months time especially as a newbie and only found out about it having been flooded after the sale had gone through you would be the first looking for the "Scoundel" who duped you.

You make a good point about the market improving I reiterate "He said people should wait for another six months after the flood goes down]. ask yourself why will the market improve in six months Answer - Flood not forgotten but denied it ever happened in your area.

It is happening already nd I will be very careful what I say - Chap advertised a house in recent weeks but when questioned about flooding simply said "no direct flooding" a closer look at photos led to a question about water mark on outside fence walls - Answer "oh yes but that looks worst than it was because I tried to scrub it away" - unfortunate for him and still unknown to him his wife was more honest.

I would like to lay money that fence line will be painted out by the end of the month.

So I stand by my statement that for the Real Estate Broker Association president to give advice "wait for six months until the flooding has gone down (or you could say been forgotten)(maybe I am being too harsh) - makes him a sound nomination for "Scoundrel of the Year" I could be really harsh and say he qualifies just by being a REAL ESTATE AGENTbut then I would have to include "USED CAR SALESMEN" and of course they will be in the Scoundrel stakes as soon as flooded cars (not advertised of course) appear on the sale lots.

Why is there even talk of selling, whether 1 or 6 month after a flood of this magnitude? It's not since 1942 we've seen so much water. I doubt my 2 year old house will even exist in another 50 years. We have damage, yes, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

Where is it flooding or more importantly why? Dams full, freak weather, mismangement, inadequate prevention measures, etc...? This question will forever be in the minds of us all. We've recovered from the shock and we're get through the reality day by day but why did this happen in amazing Thailand? I suspect that there will be alot of angry people once they soon return to their flood ravaged houses asking the same thing. Good luck to those people in power at the moment, they're going to need it. How long can the "mai pen rai" and the "jai yen yen" last? Okay, the same thing happened 50 years ago. Oh, thats okay then, never mind, what could we do to prevent it, it was mean't to happen. Wait until 2061 for the next great flood. Someone must have foreseen this happening and why wasn't millions of Bangkonians told of the flood risks, years ago. The first reaction that I personally thought was this is unbelievable, unbelievable in such a high tech, cutting edge, modern city such as Bangkok. Frustration is only the tip of the ice berg for what the Thai people must think. Answers must be found and solutions should be implemented quickly. I watched an inconvienant truth documentary by Al Gore, there he says Bangkok will be under water, but not until another 20 years or so. Am I alone in this thinking? or are you just as curious or in disbelief as I am?

Why is there even talk of selling, whether 1 or 6 month after a flood of this magnitude? It's not since 1942 we've seen so much water. I doubt my 2 year old house will even exist in another 50 years. We have damage, yes, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

I have no doubt there are many reasons people are talking of selling:

• Had already planned to upgrade at this time.
  • Sick of being flooded out on an annual basis and this is the straw that broke the camels back.
  • Never envisaged being flooded and will not endure it again.
  • Disgusted with the governments incompetence in time of emergencies.
  • Etc and there would be many more reasons some planned some brought on by the situation.

With these few points in mind you should be asking why would the following advice be given if there was not the feeling "people" are angry and feel the only solution is to relocate!

Real Estate Broker Association president Somsak Muneepeerakul yesterday warned homeowners not to rush to sell flood-affected properties as they may get prices that are 10-20 per cent down from what they seek. He said people should wait for another six months after the flood goes down].

This type of statement by a person "HIGH" in the Real Estate Industry could lead people to think "WHY" is he saying this Does this mean the property bubble is about to burst and hence lets get out before we lose the lot!!

I don't know but I will admit after the case quoted earlier of a seller "handling the truth carelessly" I for one am very very wary.

Last but not least after massive bushfires and then massive floods in Australia over the last few years those people affected had to sit down and decide to either "rebuild" or "relocate" is this any different for Thailand?? I don't think so!!