New Volvo S60 Drive - 1.6L Turbo E85, 1,899,000 Baht

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they make such a nice Car,and bugger it up with alternative Fuels. Wonder they dont put a Batteries Not Included sticker on the window. I just hate these Hybrids. Whenever the traffic slows down, theres Mr Green at the front , saving the Planet ,in his own Pin Sized Brain.annoyed.gif

Why do they make such a nice Car,and bugger it up with alternative Fuels. Wonder they dont put a Batteries Not Included sticker on the window. I just hate these Hybrids. Whenever the traffic slows down, theres Mr Green at the front , saving the Planet ,in his own Pin Sized Brain.annoyed.gif

well the volvo hybrid with 285hp and 640Nm and 4x4 wont slow down traffic

neither does Porsche Cayenne hybrid :)

and E85 saves money on fuel, saves dollar for fossile fuelimport to TH and saves excicetax, and volvo get more paid for it than a traditional engine. win win :D

At what cost.?. Sooner have a Scoobie Doo , or an Old Evo for 250 Plus BHP. Wouldn't have a Cayenne as a Gift. Neither Fish nor Game. IMO. They do slow traffic down. Mr Green squeezes the last C.M.out of it , just to tell his P.C. Chums how far it goes, and how little it costs a Klick.. My mates got a Toyota Camrey Thing, and hes more boring than a Golf Player. saai.gif.

I would love to have this volvo hybrid, realworld range spirited rearwheeldrive electric driving perhaps 30km, just enough to go pure electric to town and back home to Kata beach, additional 215hp/440nm dieselpower fwd when needed and when 4x4 needed, and fill up diesel only when going long distance

several countries including Thailand these hybrids are free of excicetax thus acceptable value for money

camry and prius hybrid I pass. prius is on par with city and mazda2, at double the money

and I promise in volvo I would still cruise at least 160kmh on the highways :D

• 3 weeks later...

biggrin.gif

WS forget the almeira, imported citys to be delivered in a month

Almeira, while butt ugly, is bigger than City. I've driven the City and it's a complete horror. No experience with the Almeira other than looking at one on the outside, but it can't possibly be worse.

Oh and the Almeira is cheaper.

(Or in case the comment was about it being imported: 'Imported!' worked really well in marketing to 1990's Thai consumers, but I think everyone has grown up and knows that there's no difference to cars made around the region these days.)

I'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor though - 245HP from 1595cc with all-stock mechanicals is simply amazing!

Not really about the same prorated as a mid '80's well prepped R5 Turbo. Also I am not 100% convinced about putting 245hp through the front wheels? I remember the quote about the Omni GLH Turbo in the mid '80' " Be sure the front wheels are pointed in the direction you wish to go before planting your foot on the pedal". And that was only 145 hp.

Edited by VocalNeal

Thank God for the City.Its a good benchmark of a posters experience of Motoring. The Kwai registers Zero. Its a smashing runabout for the money.coffee1.gif . Or there's a few million idiots about.clap2.gif

almeras 1200cc/88hp through a rubber band. city used rubberband auto previously, but todays 1500cc/120hp through a 5 speed converter auto is hard to beat at 600k baht

I'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor though - 245HP from 1595cc with all-stock mechanicals is simply amazing!

Not really about the same prorated as a mid '80's well prepped R5 Turbo. Also I am not 100% convinced about putting 245hp through the front wheels? I remember the quote about the Omni GLH Turbo in the mid '80' " Be sure the front wheels are pointed in the direction you wish to go before planting your foot on the pedal". And that was only 145 hp.

hehehe

1985? saab 900 2,3 at 175hp easily chipped to 230hp, frontwheeldrive, as on rails

audi +250hp frontwheeldrive as on rails, actually boring rails

1986 Lancia Thema with Ferrari V8( in addition to turbo 4 pots), frontwheeldrive, as on rails

and its come a long way since

Volvo has experience putting aa lot pf hp through the ffront wheelss of course.

S70/V70 stock 250/245 hp, chipped up to 300 hp: as on rails.

The later V70R with 2.5 engine had 320 hp stock.

As I remember it, 'as on rails' did not apply when full throttle on damp cobbles ...

Volvo has experience putting aa lot pf hp through the ffront wheelss of course.

S70/V70 stock 250/245 hp, chipped up to 300 hp: as on rails.

The later V70R with 2.5 engine had 320 hp stock.

As I remember it, 'as on rails' did not apply when full throttle on damp cobbles ...

agreed, just wanted to get the focus off Volvo, and Volvo has a much shorter fronthweeldrive history than the ones I mentioned

as for damp cobbles, it applies to any rearwheedrive to, go back to 1985 and think how hard it was to find traction for a bmw 535 or 325

Around '85 I drove a Audi 200 5T. Only 170 hp out of the 2.3 5 cylinder engine. The word torque steer comes to mind, and certainly not 'as on rails'!

Funny that some years later it seemed almost effortless to get so much more horsepower out of a similar engine. And so much easier to control. Thats progress for you.

Around '85 I drove a Audi 200 5T. Only 170 hp out of the 2.3 5 cylinder engine. The word torque steer comes to mind, and certainly not 'as on rails'!

Funny that some years later it seemed almost effortless to get so much more horsepower out of a similar engine. And so much easier to control. Thats progress for you.

yep 3 years later it was a new model out, 230hp and almost on rails with frontwheeldrive

my 1978 Lancia HPE with 2,0 Abarth 160hp, I had to throttle off to steer tho

Thank God for the City.Its a good benchmark of a posters experience of Motoring. The Kwai registers Zero. Its a smashing runabout for the money.coffee1.gif . Or there's a few million idiots about.clap2.gif

almeras 1200cc/88hp through a rubber band. city used rubberband auto previously, but todays 1500cc/120hp through a 5 speed converter auto is hard to beat at 600k baht

No argument about the transmission, that's very nice. Fuel economy is also good. My main gripes are that it's very cramped also compared to similarly priced / sized cars, that there is an insane amount of ambient noise, mostly from the tires, that the front upright is too wide and obstructing my view, even though they omitted curtain airbags for Thailand, and that it simply doesn't have enough ground clearance. I'm scraping it far too often.

Anyway, that's my first-hand opinion. If Wandrinstar feels the need to get abusive because of it then that's his issue.

Back on topic: I'm going to try and find a test drive in the S60.

Volvo has just launched its V60 (estate) plug in hybrid.

2,4 5 pot diesel 215hp/440Nm fwd

70hp/200Nm rearwheeldrive el engine

6 speed dsg

its plug and charge li-ion batteries are able to deliver 50km alone at max 120kmh. so go to work, charge at work again and go home again on el only, 100km a day

in hybrid modus, el engine when sufficient. diesel power when needed, +50km/liter. CO2 49g/km

range is 1000km before charge or fuel is needed

features like preheater and preaircon can be controlled by androide-phone

initial 1.000 units starts delivery October 2012, in silver metallic only

unfortunately my source is Volvo language, and I cant find a link to another language source, but I am sure one of you computerclever guys can smile.gif

This month Volvo will launch their small suv xc60 as plug in hybrid.

2,0 turbo petrol 280hp frontwheeldrive, 70 hp electric rearwheeldrive. 200Volt household plug charges the 12kw battery pack in 3,5 hours.

petrol probably as this car is aimed at US market, while the diesel above is Euro market. Petrol engine is a new design based on 500cc cylinders, and is likely to be later available as a 3 pot and possibly 5 pot. Any Yamaha influence on this one?

• 9 months later...

Whats the difference between the 'B' and 'S' versions of the S60/V60 other than a few hundred thousand baht? I've tried looking on the Volvo Thailand website but it's all in Thai. Has anyone on here bought one yet? what are the running costs like? I see E85 is about 21 baht a litre but I understand that you get higher fuel consumption using E85 so how does it balance out?