New Scourge For Flooded Thailand: Mosquitoes

webfact

New Scourge for Flooded Thailand: Mosquitoes

By Wilawan Watcharasakwet and Patrick Barta

536px-Mosquito_2007-2.jpg

Mosquito - File photo - Source: wikipedia.org

BANGKOK -– As if Thailand didn’t have enough to worry about these days, it now faces swarms of mosquitoes that have spawned as the country’s floods recede.

“They are flying all over my house, up on the ceiling and on the walls,” said Thanyathip Netichaiseth, 48, who lives in a three-story townhouse with two children that has been partly under water the past two weeks.

“When I look up the ceiling, I’m shocked, my ceiling is turning black from all the mosquitoes,” she said. “When they bite you, it really hurts and itches. Later on, the bites become red and get bigger and infected.”

Although waters are slowly draining away after Thailand’s worst flooding in decades–which left more than 600 people dead–many areas around Bangkok are still flooded. It could be weeks before all the affected homes and businesses are dry.

But even the areas that are drying out aren’t out of trouble yet, in part because of the plagues of insects that tend to follow flooding, as plenty of warm, standing pools of water perfect for insect breeding have been left behind.

Insect infestations are very serious because [more...]

Source/Full story: http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/11/28/new-scourge-for-flooded-thailand-mosquitoes/

-- blogs.wsj.com 2011-11-28

footer_n.gif

Mosquitoes that attack people at this moment are kind of annoying,” but they don’t bring dengue fever, he said. But he said the department would continue monitoring the situation and would send mobile units with bug spray and chemicals to kill larvae if any outbreaks emerged.

Typical. Wait till there is an outbreak and then act, instead of preventing any outbreaks beforehand.

I was bitten silly last time I was in Thailand, dozens of bites, especially to my legs, they even bit through thick denim jeans, they bite your back through your shirts, its a plague and the Thais dont get bit at all.

So if the Thais are getting bit, I think I will stay away from Thailand for a little while until well into the middle of 2012, I dont fancy being eaten alive.

I have tried (Autan), (Jungle Formula), (Citroenella) everything, still get bit, apparantly mosquitos prefer blood type (A+) to other blood types and can smell and detect your blood type before they bite. I belive there is an injection you can get from your Doctors in the UK, which camoflages your blood types as to appear less attractive and so you get but less.

I belive there is an injection you can get from your Doctors in the UK, which camoflages your blood types as to appear less attractive and so you get but less.

I heard that to, apparently it also comes with a creme that makes you invisible when applied to your skin :)

I was bitten silly last time I was in Thailand, dozens of bites, especially to my legs, they even bit through thick denim jeans, they bite your back through your shirts, its a plague and the Thais dont get bit at all.

So if the Thais are getting bit, I think I will stay away from Thailand for a little while until well into the middle of 2012, I dont fancy being eaten alive.

I have tried (Autan), (Jungle Formula), (Citroenella) everything, still get bit, apparantly mosquitos prefer blood type (A+) to other blood types and can smell and detect your blood type before they bite. I belive there is an injection you can get from your Doctors in the UK, which camoflages your blood types as to appear less attractive and so you get but less.

Thai's DO get bitten by mosquito's as my wife will testify BUT the bite is only irritating for about a hour whereas when I get bitten, it irritates me for 3 or 4 days. In the evenings, I wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers but I was amazed to find out the the blighters will bite you straight through clothing. I'd love to get my hands on some of that cream though, I could swat the blighters without them seeing me sneaking up on them.

I belive there is an injection you can get from your Doctors in the UK, which camoflages your blood types as to appear less attractive and so you get but less.

I heard that to, apparently it also comes with a creme that makes you invisible when applied to your skin :)

:cheesy::cheesy::D that's just too funny. I can see it now, a mosquito lands on a person and leaves in search of a more delicious Rh factor. Maybe more alcohol in the bloodstream is a good deterrent. :burp:

Who said that ?:unsure:

Anyone know the product I have seen on TV to put in water to stop this?

That would be Bti. It's a soil-derived bacteria that stops larval mosquitoes emerging and becoming adults. A vbit of info here:http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/zoo/wnv/larvicides/bti.html

I have some of this at home - I don't remember where I got it from, but it was probably the gardening section of tesco or a similar supermarket. Certainly agricultural shops should have it in large quantities.

Most of the mosquitoes that will bother us around Bangkok and surrounds, are just that, bothersome. Most won't transmit diseases. Malaria shouldn't be a problem as it is more confined to forested areas at high altitudes, such as along the Burmese border.

Aedes aegypti is the main vector of the dengue virus - this mosquito breeds among people and needs people to complete the virus lifecycle (humans are the principle animal reservoir for the dengue virus). It seems to have evolved with people. Anyway, this mosquito is considered a container breeder. So you need to empty all containers around your house. If you cant empty it, use the Bti, which is also safe for other fish and animals. This mosquito does not travel far but - there are records of a single mosquito infecting a several members of one family - apparently they are quite stealthy and not easily slapped dead:)

A bit of info about dengue: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/215840-overview

I think everybody is mis-reading the situation. All these mossies are doing is trying out alternative food souces now that all those fresh-off-the-plane tourists that they enjoy sucking the blood of so much are going somewhere else. As soon as TAT announces another run of free tourist visa's the mosquito problem will abate.

If you get bitten by the little buggers... try Tiger Balm. It cures everything from AIDS to broken legs, including taking the itch out of mossie bites.

I've got O Negative blood, they seem to like me plenty, (so does the blood bank) I found that using Off, works well, but it makes your skin feel hot, another is a local product called Sketolene, works really well. As to how to kill them, if it is an isolated pool you could try putting lots of salt in the water, did that near my place one night, all the wrigglers were dead by morning, wouldn't work or be advisable for large pools of water, may end up with a soil salination problem if done over the long term.

Some years back ,I read an article in a travel mag. Where a Doctor said she always uses "Avon-skin So Soft spray" to repel mosquitoes.

I was some what sceptical. However we tried it out for day time use only, as we had previously had a case of Dengue Fever in the house.

I have to report that it did work, and we have been using the product ever since.

We still use Deet based products in the evening, but at least you are not absorbing them 24 hours a day.

Declaration. I am not an "Avon Lady".....

:cheesy::cheesy::D that's just too funny. I can see it now, a mosquito lands on a person and leaves in search of a more delicious Rh factor. Maybe more alcohol in the bloodstream is a good deterrent. :burp:

I saw an experiment some scientists did a few years ago where they found that mosquitoes are drawn to heat and carbon dioxide, the bubbles in beer are carbon dioxide, which means that the more beer you drink, the more Co2 you have in your blood which which puts a big neon sign above your head written in mozzie saying 'All you can eat buffet', of course the more you drink the less you feel.

I saw an experiment some scientists did a few years ago where they found that mosquitoes are drawn to heat and carbon dioxide, the bubbles in beer are carbon dioxide, which means that the more beer you drink, the more Co2 you have in your blood which which puts a big neon sign above your head written in mozzie saying 'All you can eat buffet', of course the more you drink the less you feel.

That's why you'll see a stream of mossies following you when you're taking your Swensens home - they are following the C02 from the dry ice. CO2 is the main attractant used by scientists to trap mosquitoes, in combination with a small light. The problem with commercial light trap zappers is that they kill a lot of other harmless insects.

Its heat and smell, your body gives off certain "chemical signatures" in the your BO, thats what they are attracted to and the higher concentrations in certain people make them more prone to bites

nothing to do with blood types but very dependent on how much you stink...:lol:

Now where did you say we could buys the invisibility cream ?

Mosquitoes don't discriminate about who they feed from; if you have warm blood they will feed from you. First stage when they dip their tube into you is they spit into you. This spit is a mild anaesthetic which works on most mammals meaning their bite is not felt. The people who do feel it basically have an allergic reaction to this ranging from mild to severe.

Not sure about this, but I think that continued exposure to the biting spit means you get a tolerance to it over time so Thai's, who get bitten continually all their life by their type of mossie don't get irritated. Reason I say this is when I first moved to Hong Kong, I have legs like a polkadot table cloth for the first year but after that, nothing. Moving here, for the first 6 months or so, also the same but now, nothing.

Mosquitoes that attack people at this moment are kind of annoying," but they don't bring dengue fever, he said. But he said the department would continue monitoring the situation and would send mobile units with bug spray and chemicals to kill larvae if any outbreaks emerged.

Typical. Wait till there is an outbreak and then act, instead of preventing any outbreaks beforehand.

Dengue fever warnings have already been given out at least twice this year and prior to the floods....See

July 2011: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/483786-public-health-ministry-issues-dengue-fever-warning-for-thailand/page__view__findpost__p__4566464__hl__dengue__fromsearch__1

April 2011: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/462738-thai-health-agency-warns-of-outbreak-of-dengue-fever/page__view__findpost__p__4372234__hl__dengue__fromsearch__1

Of course, anyone with a brain could see this coming. I was up the west side of Ban Mi, at a temple, the mosquitos were so thick it looked like a plague. The minute you stopped walking, they swarmed you. Worse than Vietnam ever was and it was bad there back then. Of course we took care of that problem with agent orange. :-)

Anyone know the product I have seen on TV to put in water to stop this?

I was given for free this stuff by Banglamung hospital in Naklua near Pattaya.

photo0031kl.jpg

photo0030t.jpg

My neighbour then explained its usage and said it would be harmful to my cat and dog if they injested some of the treated water. I didn't use it....For clarity the phone number is 024821507

In english it's called Abate or Temefos or Temephos see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temefos

Mosquitoes target their victims by a number of methods, long range detection, up to about 50m is by carbon dioxide released by your breath and to a lesser extent skin. As they get closer they start to pick up on cues in the infra red (heat) , and visual, mainly contrasts. On the final attack path they are guided by octenol, uric acid and acetic acid in your breath and on your skin.

My daughter, a global expert on mosquito control, uses a tethered buffalo as a mosquito attractant when sampling in Asia. Apparently buffalo breath is very high in octenollaugh.gif

The itch from the bite is a simple histamine reaction to the injected anaethetic from the bite, so anti-histamine creams are a suitable treatment. If you are British then TCP will cure the irritation, but it is not sold in Asia. In time you will build up tolerance, once acquired it is good for about 6 months. Each species of mosquito uses a slightly different anaethetic so you need to acquire multiple tolerance.

Never swat a mosquito while it is biting, you run the risk of forcing some of its tissue into the puncture wound, this can cause severe infection. Instead brush them off, smear them cool.gif

Mossies have a maximum range of about 200 m, not counting wind drift, they are not strong flyers. The main enemies of the adults are swifts and swallows, dragon flies and spiders. Geckos seem uninterested in them. The larvae ( red wigglers) are eaten by fish and many water beetles.

The larvae are air breathers, they need to surface regularly to take in air, they attach to the surface tension film to do this. Weaken the surface tension by adding detergent or oil to the water and they cannot breath and die. So give a squirt of washing up liquid in every pool within 50 m of your home.

The life cycle is two weeks, so spraying is of no use unless repeated daily for two weeks, otherwise you are just killing one day's hatchings.

In their natural habitat mossies lurk under bushes and small trees waiting for passing victims, this is why they tend to be ankle biters. Never drink your beer sitting under a tree, the way Thais do, this is asking to be attacked. Also if you are white skinned don't wear dark clothes, and vice versa.

This seems to be turning into an essay rather than a comment, I had better stopbiggrin.gif

Finally if you Google "mosquito magnet" you will find there are many effective traps on the market, or if you fancy a simple DIY trap then try here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKJN7QNKD8&noredirect=1