Thai Health Agency Warns Of Outbreak Of Dengue Fever

webfact

NATIONAL HEALTH AGENCY WARNS OF OUTBREAKS DUE TO WEATHER CHANGES

Mosquitoes with dengue virus 'doubly dangerous'

By The Nation

30153666-01.jpg

National health agency warns of outbreaks due to weather changes

The Department of Medical Sciences' National Institute of Health yesterday revealed that one mosquito can carry two strains of dengue fever, as larvae can be infected with viruses through their mothers.

The NIH also warned that this year's weather changes could lead to an outbreak of the disease.

After receiving an award for outstanding research yesterday for her study of the biology and infection rate of mosquitoes carrying dengue fever, NIH researcher Usavadee Thavara said she conducted the study in 25 dengue-hit provinces from 2006 to 2010 and found that two species of mosquitoes, Aedes aegypti and A albopictus, spread the disease's four strains.

The two species also evolved from usually living at altitudes no higher than 500 metres above sea level to being found at places as high as 1,509 metres at Chiang Rai's Doi Tung area and 1,928 metres at Chiang Mai's Doi Angkhang area. The two species, formerly active only in daytime, now also hunted at night, she said.

While A aegypti's highest biting rate was 45 mosquitoes per person per hour during summer, A albopictus' highest rate was 18 per person per hour in winter, she said.

The research also found that some mosquitoes could carry two dengue strains, as the mothers could pass on the virus to eggs so that when the larvae became adults they were ready to spread the virus, without needing to acquire it from a host. Previously it was believed that mosquitoes had to bite an infected person first to get the virus, she said. Hence the eradication of larvae would prevent a dengue outbreak.

Another NIH scientist, Apiwat Thawatsin, reported that in 2008, 89,626 people in Thailand contracted the disease, resulting in 102 deaths, while 2009 saw 56,651 patients and 50 deaths, and last year there were 113,017 patients and 139 deaths.

For this year, he said there would be a serious dengue fever outbreak due to weather changes such as heavy rain in summer. People should prevent outbreaks by destroying mosquito incubation grounds, such as by putting Abate sand into standing water, he urged. Abate is a trade name for the larvicide temefos.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-22

I, my wife and a teacher in our school got this 2 years ago. It is not pleasant and although I only had a severe headache (3 times worse than a bad hangover) we all had to have a cold compress put on our foreheads. My wife was much worse than us symptoms-wise as she was vomiting every 30 minutes and I was very concerned about her health!!!

We spent a night in hospital on a drip and had to take numerous assorted colour/size/shaped tablets and we both felt right as rain in the morning. Apparently rehydration is the key and the drip worked wonders.

I had this myself as well about 8 years ago. It was somewhat worse for me. I spent 2 weeks in hospital of which I can remember only the 2nd week. I recall feeling like a was getting a flu but without any cough or sniffily nose. The fevers got worse over several days until my wife took me to hospital when I became delirious. The recovery period was a long time. I had no strength for probably 6 months & every step was painful in the joints (I guess it's like what arthritis would feel like). I was in my early 30s at the time. I had a friend who also had very mild symptoms but my advice is avoid getting bitten if you can. It's a lottery on making it through without major suffering!

Edited by dknslowly

I had this myself as well about 8 years ago. It was somewhat worse for me. I spent 2 weeks in hospital of which I can remember only the 2nd week. I recall feeling like a was getting a flu but without any cough or sniffily nose. The fevers got worse over several days until my wife took me to hospital when I became delirious. The recovery period was a long time. I had no strength for probably 6 months & every step was painful in the joints (I guess it's like what arthritis would feel like). I was in my early 30s at the time. I had a friend who also had very mild symptoms but my advice is avoid getting bitten if you can. It's a lottery on making it through without major suffering!

Sorry to hear about you're obvious suffering. I can count myself lucky then as I didn't have ANYTHING like that, that you had to endure (thank god) - you obviously had a liaison with a rather nasty mozzie whereas mine was a little kinder to me (us)!!!!

Glad to hear that you are over it now 'dknslowly' as I'm sure that at one point you must have been wondering if..........!!! from how you describe the symptoms.

To EODghost:

I caught Dengue Fever in Indonesia some years ago. My experience was similar to that of dknslowly but without the delirium. It took weeks to recover from the lethargy.

The Tropical Diseases Consultant in UK told me that there is no vaccination, and also that there are 4 variants of Dengue Fever. To be immune you must catch all 4 (and then he laughed).

So guys (and ladies, naturally) try to remember your Citronella Oil (or whatever your favourite repellant is) and enjoy the rest of the year.

Here is a regularly update map of Dengue Fever outbreaks, just zoom in on Thailand.

http://healthmap.org/en/

There is a TRIAL vaccine as previously discussed on Thaivisa:

I believe this vaccine is effective against all four strains of the disease but is not yet sold commercially.

About Dengue Fever: symptoms, signs, etc: http://www.medicinenet.com/dengue_fever/article.htm

Not much we can do about it at the moment except wear repellents, avoid outbreak areas and be aware of symptoms as the quicker you get treatment the quicker you can recover and the less you may suffer (depending on the strain).

Dengue H Fever is certainly debilating.. Prevention helps, but it takes only one effective bite.. M nets are good and use common sense.. However, it is still luck of the draw.. Head up, and cover up..

Edited by Rhys

Anyone know if there's a vaccine for Dengue fever? I don't think there is.

[/quote)

Is there any information about the lower northeast? The weather conditions are almost perfect for them. Seems that everything had changed.

A fly that's usually seen around rainy season could breed and I couldn't believe my own eyes, because billions of them flew around two days ago.

Thais are calling them "Maleng Mao", not typical for the time of the year, just wondering what will follow.........:jap:

There is a vaccine being developed. Just google dengue vaccine and you will find the info, like this repost from treehugger.com

Researchers in Thailand have announced that they have developed the world's first live attenuated vaccine for dengue fever. Endemic in over 100 nations, and spreading due to climate change as the mosquitos which carry it expand their range, dengue infects somewhere between 50-100 million people annually causing great pain and discomfort at best and life-threatening conditions at worst.

The Medical News reports,

Dr Suthee Yoksarn, a lecturer of Mahidol University, with his team and colleagues at Chiang Mai University have developed four stereotypes of the live attenuated vaccine. They combined attenuated DNA with a protein structure that stimulates immunity against the dengue hemorrhagic fever caused by the present strain of the dengue virus.

Thailand-based Bionet-Asia Co has been appointed by the Thai government to commercialize the vaccine. It could take a decade before this dengue vaccine is available for public use--provided that other companies, such as Sanofi Pasteur which is also working on developing dengue vaccine, don't do so first.

For our US readers, if you think dengue is something that other nations need worry about, remember that dengue could spread to 28 states in coming years, and that Florida reported 24 cases of dengue last summer.

Scientist in Thailand?? Who'd have thunk it??

I got it on koh Chang,wanted to die. I hate using repellent with deet but I use it.

Nearly got through a whole Thai Visa thread without disparaging remarks towards Thailand - who'd 'thunk' that.

My young son, and I, have both had the disease, and it really does lay you low - like flu x 3+. Upside is, according to the doctor, is that we could get it again, withing 10 to 20 years, after which we would be immune. But if Abate Sand is the answer, why the hell should we leave it to the local population to apply. That is the authorities' job, with the people pointing them in the direction of any stagnant waterways.

I got it on koh Chang,wanted to die. I hate using repellent with deet but I use it.

Nearly got through a whole Thai Visa thread without disparaging remarks towards Thailand - who'd 'thunk' that.

I hear you. It was a breath of fresh air to actually read on-topic comments on a TV thread without the Thai bashing, but I knew there would be some idiot who just couldn't help himself.

I got it last year in September from Chiang Mai

it was my 4 weeks tour around Thailand and had not met any rainy day - so far.

No mosquitos anywhere and sunshine.

The river in CM city started to fill with water they got fall down on near by mountain area

they had to even open the gates of local dam and river break it in dupple and goverment boys as well as BB :whistling:

was bringing sandbags all over the river side, finally it did not made so much damaged.

But what we got was airfull of mossies !

And they was hungry of my sweet blood.

I went back to Krung Thep and headed to island of Koh Samui, got nasty flu.

Bought some acetylsalicylic acid what is common used for pain - should not - its famous for making blood

to run more easier and that is bad news for you if happens to be the hemorrhagic fever !

Back to Big Mango and flu continue as well got fever.

Flying back home to Finland and even got myself to work 3 days before it was too much.

In morning just feels powerness and fever start growing after midday.

Pain behind my eyes, pain if too bright lights, pain inside my bones - somelike nasty influensa.

Finally got to see my doctor and he rushed me to general hospital, malaria or dengue stood on papers !

Fever was almost 40 on Celsius and stayed and I was waiting results of test and x-rays, finally they

agree to given me some pain killers, helped a bit.

Ambulance - first time in my life - ride to special hospital ward for tropical disease.

Got small pink rash all over, bleeding cums and from nose, blood fluids bleeding inside my skin

on finger tips and feet, they swallen and could not walk without pain. Diarrhea, womiting, could not bear the snorrling of the guy next bed :crying:

Actually no medicin, for pain yes, had to drink a lot, about 3 to 4 litres on my waking hours,

stayed in hospital 6 days before dischart and one more week home to rest.

My nose was bleeding next 2 month and felt like am powerless to even wake up from bed, finally noticed

also symptoms of depression which can come after, Oh My Buddha !

Got travel instruction too - no near where could got it again in next 6 months.

So had been in my home country and waiting this long dark cold winter without any chance

to fly to Asia for winter holiday - now had tickets and here am going again, June. :lol:

My young son, and I, have both had the disease, and it really does lay you low - like flu x 3+. Upside is, according to the doctor, is that we could get it again, withing 10 to 20 years, after which we would be immune. But if Abate Sand is the answer, why the hell should we leave it to the local population to apply. That is the authorities' job, with the people pointing them in the direction of any stagnant waterways.

My friend, who's lived in Chaing Mai and Phuket 20 years has had it 6 times... He definitely will dispute the immunity comment.

Edited by animatic

Most things are answered allready only some important thing is forgotten .

This is no normal mosquito . It is way bigger then your normal nighttime mosquito and has a very distinct color . The mosquito have also very rare "working hours".

The dengue mosquito is called a tiger mosquito since it is black with white stripes . You will recognise it if you see it . Chances are big that if you are in a dengue area that you will see the mosquito since it's effective hours are daytime !! and not nighttime. Going to bed with DEET reppelent does not help since you have it during the day . I've seen and been bitten by them many times and killed quite a few when i was in the southern part of Thailand . Luckily non of these ho bit me had bitten a person with dengue b4 ( read about how transmission of dengue ) .

Me also Koh Chang about 98 - not severe but symptons for about 6 weeks. Pre internet days lack of info on where outbreaks were occuring are and precautions to take, I remember receiving dozens of bites and there were no nets supplied in the room we were staying in.

Most things are answered allready only some important thing is forgotten .

This is no normal mosquito . It is way bigger then your normal nighttime mosquito and has a very distinct color . The mosquito have also very rare "working hours".

The dengue mosquito is called a tiger mosquito since it is black with white stripes . You will recognise it if you see it . Chances are big that if you are in a dengue area that you will see the mosquito since it's effective hours are daytime !! and not nighttime. Going to bed with DEET reppelent does not help since you have it during the day . I've seen and been bitten by them many times and killed quite a few when i was in the southern part of Thailand . Luckily non of these ho bit me had bitten a person with dengue b4 ( read about how transmission of dengue ) .

DEET is effective against Aedes Aegypti mosquitoes who, although known for their daytime activity are most prevalent at dawn or dusk. The best defence is to regularly spray exposed skin AND clothing (The mosquito can bite through clothing) throughout the day as well as night. As the Aedes aegyptti originally hails from cooler, mediterranean climates then a cool spell will not bother them. They are rapidly spreading to many areas of the world, including the Americas. This new research indicates that a mosquito does no longer need to feed off an infected host in order to transmit dengue.

Hopefully the vaccine will be proven and distributed soon. Meanwhile, protect your home and ensure there are no breeding sites for them.

No EO there isn't..a mate of mine caught it in Hua Hin last September and spent 10 days in hospital...basically effects immune system and hence means you can't drink as liver is effected with piss...he owns a bar as well!

Anyone know if there's a vaccine for Dengue fever? I don't think there is.

My friend got it a few years back and he suffered a few weeks of the 'comatosed' effects as already mentioned and still now has back pains occasionally which he puts down to this fever - he was 26 when he contracted it

I've not read all of the posts so apologies if I'm repeating but the best thing I have found here in Thailand is "Golden Cup Balm" which I'm sure many of you have already come across - I buy it in the Pharmacy here in Pattaya for very little money and every evening rub a small amount on any exposed skin and NEVER get bitten

It has a very strong smell to begin with which does disappear after a few mins but it works a treat for me so hopefully it'll do the same for you - prvention is better than cure as they say

If you do try it though DON'T under any circumstances apply it to any 'sensitive' areas (eyes, lips, gentlemens region etc) as it stings like .............. :blink:

Also if you do ever get bitten this stuff knocks the swelling and itching down very quickly - I first found out about it when I lived in Surin and the locals where I was all swore by it

Chodgi