Crackdown On Alcohol On Retail Display

george

Public Health Ministry plans to remove alcoholic beverage from retail display shelves

BANGKOK: -- Buoyed by its success in removing cigarettes from sight in shop windows and shelves, the Ministry of Public Health has set itself a new mission to do the same for alcoholic beverages.

Dr. Narong Sahamethapat, deputy director-general of the ministry's Disease Control Department announced that the department, following the successful campaign on cigarette visibility, will now focus on completing the drafting--and then enforcing--laws to clear alcoholic drinks off retail shelves.

A draft law to control the consumption of alcoholic drinks has just been completed, Dr. Narong explained, and the process of public hearings for inputs into the draft is expected to be complete by the end of next year.

According to Dr. Narong, the main thrust of the bill is to ban advertisements for alcoholic drinks on television and radio, and to extend the hours during which alcohol ads cannot be broadcast from the current blackout period of 5am to 10pm. A set of related legal measures will be enforced under the law to restrict children's access to alcoholic drinks, banning sales near schools, temples and petrol stations.

Once in force, the law will also ban trading of alcoholic drinks during public holidays and Sundays.

Dr. Narong said that imposing controls on alcohol sales, advertising and consumption constitutes a more formidable task than banning cigarette sales in retail outlets.

Among the factors at play includes the fact that there are many players in this financially lucrative sector, the majority of whom are Thai.

More importantly, the public health official said, about 20 million Thais consume alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, compared to 10 million smokers.

This task therefore requires massive commitment from all sections of the society, he said.

--TNA 2005-11-22

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posters here often get lambasted for saying disparaging things about LOS but how many times do the Thai bring it on themselves? Proper enforcement of the law, instead of selective enforcement aimed at collecting tea money, would go a long way to helping solve the miriad social and economic Thailand faces.

According to Dr. Narong, the main thrust of the bill is to ban advertisements for alcoholic drinks on television and radio, and to extend the hours during which alcohol ads cannot be broadcast from the current blackout period of 5am to 10pm.
Questionable motives.
A set of related legal measures will be enforced under the law to restrict children's access to alcoholic drinks, banning sales near schools, temples and petrol stations.

Sensible, specifically on petrol stations.

Once in force, the law will also ban trading of alcoholic drinks during public holidays and Sundays.

Forgot the above two comments. I have only one: Ridiculous.

Ther's going to be rioting on the streets over this one

Thursday's meeting in Lumpini is sure to mention this idea

Taksin's just provided the nails for his political coffin (even if he didn't dream up the idea.

Do you think any thais actually take any notice of all these daft ideas? I have spoken to many thais about them and they see only us farangs as being concerned. They all just smile and say they will still be able to get access to alcohol 16 or 17 hours a day just as they do now. They just seem to be used to not taking any notice of any laws which affect them financially. The age old profession being a prime example :o

Will the last person to leave please turn the lights out :o

Just what are the politicians trying to do to what was such a wonderfull country to live in.

It does not affect me as i am not a heavy drinker but i am not sure about the tourist trade, with Vietnam opening to more and more tourists it seems that the powers that be are on self destruct.

Mike.

let them have their fun.....

it'll all get back to normal once the benevolent funds of those who benefit most start copping a hit.

then all normal.

hiding smokes, booze or anything for that matter just makes it more appealing...

silly silly silly . . .

R

Had to read it three times and still cannot believe my eyes...that's gonna be a riot if they follow through. Imagine next Songkran and no booze on sale...Don't want to repeat here the explicits that my Thai secretary just used when I showed her this news clipping, but she was not really supportive to this idea. And no, she doesn't drink herself.

Just what are the politicians trying to do to what was such a wonderfull country to live in.

It does not affect me as i am not a heavy drinker but i am not sure about the tourist trade, with Vietnam opening to more and more tourists it seems that the powers that be are on self destruct.

Mike.

goverment control mechanism is going in wrong direction.

i remember first year govt reduced new year holidays. not worked (number of dead ) then increased holidays same as before then stop alcohole sale in gas station then controled hour sale and now hide from consumers.

in future govt will start " drinking permit ". many country has this system. good revenue to govt.

I think you're right dragonman, ignoring laws they don't like or agree with is a national pasttime here, something I don't usually think is a very bright idea, but I can see the same happening with this. Can you imagine Somchai happily drinking Pepsi over a holiday!

Mike.

I agree , shoot yourself in the foot remember probition , not actually but i understand copone made a lot of money. I myself don't drink or smoke, but i have got to ask myself will there still be a overwhelming desire to come to a country for a holitay that has at least 2 legal holidays a month and such limited deversions

Have live in thailand 5 years only gone to bangkok 4 time to fly to the states had to stay overnight each time and wouldn't you know it all venues were closed for aa holiday every time i went. God Bless Thailand

Ther's going to be rioting on the streets over this one

Thursday's meeting in Lumpini is sure to mention this idea

Taksin's just provided the nails for his political coffin (even if he didn't dream up the idea.

Do you think any thais actually take any notice of all these daft ideas? I have spoken to many thais about them and they see only us farangs as being concerned. They all just smile and say they will still be able to get access to alcohol 16 or 17 hours a day just as they do now. They just seem to be used to not taking any notice of any laws which affect them financially. The age old profession being a prime example :o

That's because the Thais have been here long enough to know that laws like these are only enforcable in the short term :D

Thailand has just slipped back a couple of decades. I can remember twenty years ago when all imported cigarettes were only obtainable on the black market along with a load of popular spiritous beverages. All one had to do was ask, and the items were produced from under the counter. Same same, just a different decade, and are the Thais worried? Nah, just another law to ignore :o