Conscience

ChAoS87

I'm going to take a stab at this, since I have often wondered the same thing.

Having looked at all the alternatives, I'm going to say that the closest thing to an accurate translation would be:

หิริโอตตัปปะ

But this is probably a word only the educated Thais would know, and is probably never used in conversation, probably used mainly by monks in sermons.

The closest thing that would be useful in conversation I believe is:

สติรู้ผิดรู้ชอบ

which could be translated as having "a sense of right and wrong".

Then there is this:

ความละอายและเกรงกลัวต่อบาป

which would be widely understood, and the dictionary gives "conscience" as one definition,

but I would translate this more like "being God fearing"

I believe it conveys more a fear of the consequences of sin rather than a natural inborn sense of right and wrong.

I'll throw another word in here - มโนธรรม - which I think conveys the English sense of moral or religious right and wrong best. It is, however, another word that is not used colloquially. For that you'd probably do best, as others have suggested above, with "มีสติรู้ผิดรู้ชอบ"

I'll throw another word in here - มโนธรรม - which I think conveys the English sense of moral or religious right and wrong best. It is, however, another word that is not used colloquially. For that you'd probably do best, as others have suggested above, with "มีสติรู้ผิดรู้ชอบ"

I previously looked at มโนธรรม but decided to eliminate it after seeing this example of usage:

ในแง่ความรู้สึกของสาธารณะชน ต้องเป็นผู้มีสำนึกทางมโนธรรมแห่งความรับผิดชอบ

"The feelings of the general public are that (the persons chosen) must be conscientious in (undertaking) their responsibilities."

But now I notice that the word สำนึก is also defined as "conscience" or "conscientious" as one possible meaning. So I am guessing that มโนธรรม can be a good definition for "conscience", although not really usable in colloquial conversation.

Which brings up the question of how to define the phrase: สำนึกทางมโนธรรม and how it differs from สำนึก?