Basic Question About Hdmi Cable For Computer Monitor

Jingthing

I have been using an HDMI connection for computer to monitor but today it failed to work. Just a blank screen. Of course I adjusted the cable connections to make sure they were set but still no luck. It freaked me out because I thought my computer wasn't booting. Anyway, I switched out to an RBG connection and it worked. My guess, the HDMI cable failed. Is that common and do you agree with my guess?

Maybe Stupid answer, but when I connect my PC via HDMI to my Monitor, I have to press the HDMI button on the Remote to get it to work. Indeed a stupid answer, as you are using a Monitor and I am using a TV as a Monitor :jap:

Do you have another HDMI Cable to try it with ?

Edited by MJCM

Several possibilities could have happened, depending on your laptop configuration and your monitor.

1) as you suspect, the cable failed. Do you have another cable or another device using HDMI to test with? Those are little wires in the cable

2) the output (hdmi) of the laptop failed or de-selected itself.

3) the "digital input" or the circuitry to auto-detect digital vs. analogue has failed in the monitor. Try manual selection.

4) any or all of the above.

I would suspect the cable, depending on how rugged the construction, the bends at the strain relief is often the culprit.

Since the combination of laptop and monitor works in analogue, it doesn't prove any of the above are not valid.

I would go with the suggestion above that the default display output on the computer somehow was reset from the HDMI port to another port (maybe VGA in you case). Go ahead and re-connect the HDMI cable and open up your display settings menu in the control panel and check that HDMI is selected as the default. You may also have to restart the computer.

HDMI cables can fail but it is very rare...more likely the settings as above.

I would have thought that any Monitor with an HDMI Input Port would adjust automatically.

I know my Samsung Monitors do - although I am using only Digital input at the moment and I get a little frustrated when on turning on the Computer (or at least waking it up since I leave it on 24 / 7) the dam_n Monitors cycle through Analogue - HDMI - Digital looking for a signal, takes about 30 seconds in all before it settles on Digital.

I'm probably doing something wrong by not setting Digital as Default but I don't know how to do that!

Patrick