Bad Drivers Phuket

Tanuki

Where to buy a good quality motorbike helmet probably deserves a topic of its own - they are few and far between on Phuket.

I used to wear the helmet provided by Honda when I bought my new 'bike, but it was too big and always slipped to the back of my neck, giving me neck-ache.

I went all over the place trying to find a helmet that fitted. 'Full-face' helmets are better, but I cannot use them (they make me throw-up).

How can this be?? How on earth can the 'small' size be too big for me, a Westerner??

Fortunately I was at the Phuket Bangkok hospital one day and there was a 'stall' there selling (hopefully) good quality helmets.

Having been involved in an accident when I was in the UK riding a pushbike (I was knocked-out and would undoubtedly have died if I was not wearing a helmet), I wouldn't dream of riding my scooter without one.

If you want a very good helmet then go to the Kawasaki dealer they have some very good and expensive helmets..

and if you only want to spend 1000 baht, I find Index helmets good value. Carrefour used to have a good selection, dont know if BigC extra has continued

a US crash tested helmet can be recognised by its "DOT" marking, a european by its "E??" classification

Low weight is essential to save you neck and spine, good fit to protect you face and skull, and good quality foam to reduce impact, and it only works if the strap under cheek is on ;)

and the only scoot coming with a helmet I would dare to wear is Honda pcx helmet, not very good, but better than the ordinary eggshells

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I worked for Mazda until just before mx5/miata was launched, I know they would say when mx5/miata was introduced in 1989 it was said to be an inexpensive fun convertible, and their sportscar was called RX7 and today its called RX8 :)

and in 1989 they had a fantastic fun mazda 323 turbo 4x4 which I successfully used in rally for a few weeks while my Lancia Integrale was being modified, it would run circles around the mx5/miata :D

A MX5 is still a sports car as far as i am concerned

My brother has several new car dealerships in Australia including a Mazda dealership for over 20 years

I have driven the Mazda 323 turbo 4x4 it goes great with 1 or 2 people in it not so with 5 adult males

it is a rally car, really not sold for normal road use, to expensive for a small car

OP Tanuki, congratulations

Your first post and topic in ThaiVisa has resulted in 211posts and 3540 views within 8 days. Not bad :)

and you forgot one more record KBB....the topic has passed 200 posts and not been closed

yep, is that us or them :whistling:

sun is shining, time for a Ninja ride :D

Where to buy a good quality motorbike helmet probably deserves a topic of its own - they are few and far between on Phuket.

I used to wear the helmet provided by Honda when I bought my new 'bike, but it was too big and always slipped to the back of my neck, giving me neck-ache.

I went all over the place trying to find a helmet that fitted. 'Full-face' helmets are better, but I cannot use them (they make me throw-up).

How can this be?? How on earth can the 'small' size be too big for me, a Westerner??

Fortunately I was at the Phuket Bangkok hospital one day and there was a 'stall' there selling (hopefully) good quality helmets.

Having been involved in an accident when I was in the UK riding a pushbike (I was knocked-out and would undoubtedly have died if I was not wearing a helmet), I wouldn't dream of riding my scooter without one.

If you want a very good helmet then go to the Kawasaki dealer they have some very good and expensive helmets..

and if you only want to spend 1000 baht, I find Index helmets good value. Carrefour used to have a good selection, dont know if BigC extra has continued

a US crash tested helmet can be recognised by its "DOT" marking, a european by its "E??" classification

Low weight is essential to save you neck and spine, good fit to protect you face and skull, and good quality foam to reduce impact, and it only works if the strap under cheek is on ;)

and the only scoot coming with a helmet I would dare to wear is Honda pcx helmet, not very good, but better than the ordinary eggshells

I obviously haven't been paying attention as I missed out on helmets at Index! Admittedly, I go there rarely and only when I'm looking for something that I'm unable to find elsewhere. I find Index v expensive.

The good tips on where to find good quality helmets are much appreciated though guys. Thank you.

I obviously haven't been paying attention as I missed out on helmets at Index! Admittedly, I go there rarely and only when I'm looking for something that I'm unable to find elsewhere. I find Index v expensive.

The good tips on where to find good quality helmets are much appreciated though guys. Thank you.

Index is a brand for helmets, nothing to do with the shop of the same name.

After having used it for many years I had to get rid of my old Nolan I brought from back home and have an Index helmet now. I like it, also the build in sunglasses.

They have a range of helmets in the main super cheap store

but like most stores they only have the large size

There motto here must be one size fits all

Just this morning, somebody, a foreigner, driving a sedan with around 50 km/h at the Villa Markt car park, by the looks of it using it as a short cut. Windows open, so when somebody shouts 'hey, easy', the answer, a raised middle finger, is clearly visible.

Not only bad driving habits but also bad manners.

Just this morning, somebody, a foreigner, driving a sedan with around 50 km/h at the Villa Markt car park, by the looks of it using it as a short cut. Windows open, so when somebody shouts 'hey, easy', the answer, a raised middle finger, is clearly visible.

Sometimes I think the foreign drivers are worse. The Thais drive very stupid but for the most part they lack common sense and don't know any better. The foreigners who know how to drive choose to be reckless here thinking they can get away with it. Which is worse, those who are ignorant or those who dont care?

Sometimes I think the foreign drivers are worse. The Thais drive very stupid but for the most part they lack common sense and don't know any better. The foreigners who know how to drive choose to be reckless here thinking they can get away with it. Which is worse, those who are ignorant or those who dont care?

I find foreigners in cars/pickups/suv with their nationality displayed at the rear with a plate or sticker to be the absolute worst and most dangerous drivers. Same guys on Chao Fa west every day at same time, same inconsiderate reckless driving.

Edited by LivinginKata
Question removed

I find foreigners in cars/pickups/suv with their nationality displayed at the rear with a plate or sticker to be the absolute worst and most dangerous drivers. Same guys on Chao Fa west every day at same time, same inconsiderate reckless driving.

I better peel my North Korean flag off.

He is my vent of the day. Most of Patak Road is a 4 lane road, yet many motor bikes insist on hogging the center of the outside lane, even when the inside lane is clear. Even a gentle honk and they won't move over. This problem seems to be getting worse. And while I'm at it, what's with these cars & trucks hogging the outside land and driving slowly at 30 - 40 kph on the open stretches of Patak Road. All I can do is overtake on the inside to get by. Not a manoeuvre that I like making, but what else can I do ?

He is my vent of the day. Most of Patak Road is a 4 lane road, yet many motor bikes insist on hogging the center of the outside lane, even when the inside lane is clear. Even a gentle honk and they won't move over. This problem seems to be getting worse. And while I'm at it, what's with these cars & trucks hogging the outside land and driving slowly at 30 - 40 kph on the open stretches of Patak Road. All I can do is overtake on the inside to get by. Not a manoeuvre that I like making, but what else can I do ?

Move to Rawai! biggrin.gif

Move to Rawai! biggrin.gif

Vichet Rd and the 2 Chaofa(s) even worse :lol:

I saw a classic left hand overtake on the bypass road a few years back. A trailer truck was lumbering along & I was directly behind it. I could see a pickup in my mirror zooming up on the shoulder & he quickly swept past me. As he got alongside the truck the gap was not so big but was OK as long as he continued straight ahead. However, he over corrected & started fish tailing which then sent him off at high speed down the embankment & without slowing down he ploughed through a bunch of shrubs before coming to a sudden halt by hitting a tree head on. Prior to that I occasionally overtook on the bypass by using the shoulder but not anymore.

I saw a classic left hand overtake on the bypass road a few years back. A trailer truck was lumbering along & I was directly behind it. I could see a pickup in my mirror zooming up on the shoulder & he quickly swept past me. As he got alongside the truck the gap was not so big but was OK as long as he continued straight ahead. However, he over corrected & started fish tailing which then sent him off at high speed down the embankment & without slowing down he ploughed through a bunch of shrubs before coming to a sudden halt by hitting a tree head on. Prior to that I occasionally overtook on the bypass by using the shoulder but not anymore.

biggrin.gif

Can't stand the drivers who pull up to the lights in the right hand lane and once the light goes green they decide its time to use the indicator to turn right leaving the cars behind thinking it was going straight. this causes more bottlenecks than anything else in the island.

Can't stand the drivers who pull up to the lights in the right hand lane and once the light goes green they decide its time to use the indicator to turn right leaving the cars behind thinking it was going straight. this causes more bottlenecks than anything else in the island.

That's a universal problem and not particular to Phuket. Here in Phuket drivers faff about in the outside lane then at the last minute turn left into a side road. Just makes no sense to me.

That's a universal problem and not particular to Phuket. Here in Phuket drivers faff about in the outside lane then at the last minute turn left into a side road. Just makes no sense to me.

I never stated it was a phuket specific problem. it just happens about every light i pull up to. i tend to always leave a car spot in front so i can merge back into the left anticipating this problem.

i agree about trying to turn right from the left lane at the last minute. i have noticed that most of these drivers are on the phone or a car full of unrestrained kids.

Ok, my whinge today is not about drivers. How about pedestrians ?? So I'm driving along Nanai Road, turning left into Nanai 2. A big mature farang lady is standing in the middle of the road, tinnie in hand, taking to someone on the other side of the road. So I wait, she chooses not to see me waiting, so I toot, and she gives me a load of verbal. I make a long toot, and drive on forcing her out of the way.

Ok, my whinge today is not about drivers. How about pedestrians ?? So I'm driving along Nanai Road, turning left into Nanai 2. A big mature farang lady is standing in the middle of the road, tinnie in hand, taking to someone on the other side of the road. So I wait, she chooses not to see me waiting, so I toot, and she gives me a load of verbal. I make a long toot, and drive on forcing her out of the way.

fix = bullbar

works to push small cars off the road to

mazda australia has developed a new bullbar for the coming BT50 pickup. They have recieved pedestrian crash safety approval on a bullbar handling kangoroos up to 100Kg without scratching car. Not bad B)

Right hand lane in a light junction in TH is usually, almost always, dedicated turning right, often 2 right hand lanes, as marked with arrows painted on road surface.

if right lane(s) is not dedicated turning right or u-turn, they will usually have a "NO RIGHT TURN" or "NO U-TURN" sign, sometimes symbols sometimes writen in Thai

Going straight ahead, you are in the wrong lane(s), illegally.

info available at DLT for those who want to learn TH traffic rules

still a bad habit to not indicate, but being in a lane as above, not mandatory

Another tale of the unexpected. I have a small boat which I keep on a mooring at Ao Yon. A few weeks ago I brought her ashore for some engine maintenance and another coat of anti-foul paint.

So, just over a week ago, all work finished, I take her on her trailer to Ao Makham, launch her and get her back on her mooring. I'm now returning home, towing an empty boat trailer (about 20 feet or so long). Best way for me (towing a trailer) to get back to Chalong is to take the main road along Cape Panwa, then take the road that bisects both the Chaofa East and Chaofa West roads. It's just after 4 p.m., and the traffic is starting to get busy.

Everything is going fine until I get to the junction on the Chaofa East road where the new Toyota garage is on the corner. I'm at the front of the queue at the lights, and I've gone a little bit forward so as not to block the left side slip road for traffic turning left into Chaofa East Road. Lights turn green, I pull off, and almost immediately there's a 'bang' and shouts from behind. I stop the car, turn on the hazard lights (which work on the trailer as well), and get out to find the trailer has hit a motorcycle with a woman, a child, and an older woman. The bike is slightly wedged under the winch post of the trailer. The younger woman speaks English, and apologises, saying she hadn't seen the trailer (?). Fortunately, there were police already at the junction for a separate motorcycle accident, and they'd seen what happened.

One of them came and spoke to the woman, but not to me. I return to the car, and the policemen gets in front of me, and halts traffic as I'm part way across the road and forming an obstruction. He then waves me on, and as I start to move, would you believe it, there's another 'bang' and the same people on their motorcycle are on the road, the trailer having hit them again! By this time, having stopped again, I'm blocked nearly all lanes of the road, so having got out and made sure everybody was OK, I continue across the junction until I can stop just on the other side.

I get out to walk back to the scene, but the Policeman waves me away, with a 'not your fault' kind of shrug and wave.

Seems incredible that having had one accident, the motorcyclist didn't have the sense to keep clear of the trailer, Morale of this story for me, is regardless of how much care and attention you take driving here, there can be circumstances which you can't foresee, and behaviour from other motorists that that defies logic.