Nigerian senate passes anti-gay bill

News_Editor

Nigerian senate passes anti-gay bill

2011-12-01 08:47:28 GMT+7 (ICT)

ABUJA (BNO NEWS) -- The Nigerian senate has passed a bill which prohibits same-sex marriages and introduces extreme prison sentences for people involved in homosexuality, local media reported on Wednesday.

Under the new bill, anybody convicted of homosexuality risks a jail term of up to 14 years in prison. In addition, anyone who witnesses, abets or aids a same-sex union faces up to 10 years in prison, the Nigerian Tribune reported.

The law further prohibits the public show of amorous relationship directly or indirectly and empowers state high courts to prosecute offenders. The Senate added that only marriages contracted between a man and a woman either under Islamic law, customary law or the Marriage Act is valid.

The Senate president, David Mark, said the controversy surrounding the bill is 'unnecessary' because the bill is 'against our culture, traditions and beliefs.' "Any country who refuses to give aid to Nigeria because of the passage of this bill, should keep it as the practice of same sex unions remain strange to the Nigerian cultural values and practice," he said.

Earlier this month, British Prime Minister David Cameron threatened to cut aid to countries which fail to respect gay rights, sparking outrage in many African nations. Ghanaian President John Atta Mills said Cameron is entitled to his views, but said he does not have the right to “direct to other sovereign nations as to what they should do.â€

Uganda also rejected the threat with an official accusing the British government of showing a "bullying mentality." Many African governments argue that homosexuality violates religious and cultural beliefs and have therefore made it illegal.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-01

After all these years, I'm still trying to figure out why homosexuality is so 'gay'. Does this mean if you are heterosexual you are 'sad'?

What I have been wondering for a few seconds now is if you really believe feigned ignorance masks homophobia?

After all these years, I'm still trying to figure out why homosexuality is so 'gay'. Does this mean if you are heterosexual you are 'sad'?

What I have been wondering for a few seconds now is if you really believe feigned ignorance masks homophobia?

Is that you TQ?

I hereby call a boycott on responding to Nigerian scam letters and buying drugs from Nigerian drug dealers!

I am with you on the JT, and as soon as I get my US$23,000,000 that's supposed to be deposited in my account, I'll join the boycott!

Actually, the law is sad, but predictable. If homosexuality is such a foreign concept, then there is no need for a law. Laws are usually passed for things that are a real possibility/threat.

He deserves a hit with your handbag JT !

So you think gay men are women, do you? Interesting.

It's seems ignorance about minorities isn't restricted to Africa.

Hey, steady on there JT... the country in question here is Nigeria.

South Africa allows same sex marriages.... c'mon now.

Liberace would be turning in his grave!wink.gif

I get it. You admitted here yourself you're homophobic. So you see some flamboyant gays and your brain makes you think that means all gay men are flamboyant and prance around like ladies. I'll help you with that. The vast majority aren't. That's settled now.

I get it. You admitted here yourself you're homophobic. So you see some flamboyant gays and your brain makes you think that means all gay men are flamboyant and prance around like ladies. I'll help you with that. The vast majority aren't. That's settled now.

JT, I am a regular guy... obviously I thought the Liberace thing would get you going (though he denied being gay).

We all know not all gays are raging queens, and not all lesbians are butch... relax.

I am just having a laugh.

This is a serious issue in Nigeria and other severely anti-gay African countries. Governments from the west will be shy about criticizing because they know China is now a big power in Africa and never criticizes internal policies of other countries. The part about people facing charges for not ratting out friends, neighbors, and family is reminiscent of the worst totalitarian regimes in history.

This is a serious issue in Nigeria and other severely anti-gay African countries. Governments from the west will be shy about criticizing because they know China is now a big power in Africa and never criticizes internal policies of other countries. The part about people facing charges for not ratting out friends, neighbors, and family is reminiscent of the worst totalitarian regimes in history.

Agreed, it is serious- personal jokes aside.

I want to re-itterate: South Africa allows same sex marriages, which not all Western Democracies do... so stop the Africa bashing.

The article is about Nigeria... and I must say; I find nothing good about these guys in the news.

Ratting out friends... like the Witch Hunts for Commies in the states.

No good can come of this.

I want to re-itterate: South Africa allows same sex marriages, which not all Western Democracies do... so stop the Africa bashing.

The article is about Nigeria... and I must say; I find nothing good about these guys in the news.

Ratting out friends... like the Witch Hunts for Commies in the states.

No good can come of this.

Foul! There is no Africa bashing here. You made that up so stop it. I never said ALL countries in Africa. South Africa is the most visible exception, yes. In fact I think South Africa is still the only country in the world which has gay equality language in their constitution -- fanatastic.

It is NOT only Nigeria with severe anti-gay laws in Africa by a long shot. Also, homophobia in general is extremely severe in Africa.

I realize long prison sentences and executions get the press, but imagine the many millions of people in Africa living in total fear with no hope of being themselves their entire lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory#Africa

Edited by Jingthing

Inyeresting the amongst all the homophobic anti-gay countries in Africa that there is one common denominator, RELIGION.

Not always the same religion, sometimes Islam sometimes Christianity but mostly religion.

Perhaps it time to leave the gay community alone and start questioning the morals and ethics of so-called religous leaders.

We hear how wondeful and loving Chritsianity is and how Islam is a tolerant religion of peace. Both statements appear true as long as you are a 'true believer'.

There is no moral precept that does not have something inconvenient about it.:(

In this case, we can hope that it is darkest before the dawn.

The sad part, is this stuff once it gets put into legislation is hard to get it overturned. Conservative attitudes tend to linger for a very long time.

Inyeresting the amongst all the homophobic anti-gay countries in Africa that there is one common denominator, RELIGION.

Not always the same religion, sometimes Islam sometimes Christianity but mostly religion.

Perhaps it time to leave the gay community alone and start questioning the morals and ethics of so-called religous leaders.

We hear how wondeful and loving Chritsianity is and how Islam is a tolerant religion of peace. Both statements appear true as long as you are a 'true believer'.

Amen to that. Any belief system based on unprovable superstition as a basis for ultimate authority is almost bound to attract the most bigoted and totalitarian sorts who use it as a justification to persecute others to sate their own sadistic drives.

Amen to that. Any belief system based on unprovable superstition as a basis for ultimate authority is almost bound to attract the most bigoted and totalitarian sorts who use it as a justification to persecute others to sate their own sadistic drives.

I am going out on a limb here, but my experience in Africa tells me that most religions are shaped to fit with the traditional animist belief systems. Africans mostly have very strong traditions which make homosexuality difficult to accept as a lifestyle.

For example: many Africans would practice polygamy, which is kind of contradictory to Christian ethics. Polygamy is accepted by their traditional culture, whereas homosexuality is very foreign to them.

If he had his piano in there he could knock out a couple of show tunes.

I am going out on a limb here, but my experience in Africa tells me that most religions are shaped to fit with the traditional animist belief systems. Africans mostly have very strong traditions which make homosexuality difficult to accept as a lifestyle.

For example: many Africans would practice polygamy, which is kind of contradictory to Christian ethics. Polygamy is accepted by their traditional culture, whereas homosexuality is very foreign to them.

I agree it is more than the pure imported religions going on there.

Actually, the African leaders behind these severe laws will tell the world, respect our culture, it's our business. Well, it may be their business, but when they cross the line to severe oppression against any minority, they don't deserve respect.

Edited by Jingthing

Most... not all but most post-colonial governments appear to use '1984' Big Brother politics.

Homosexuals aren't the only oppressed minority group in African states.

If these types of laws draw attention to the discriminatory nature of African political leaders (and here South Africans are not excluded), then hopefully the world will take a closer look at what's going on there in general.

Nobody said that severe anti-gay laws in Nigeria (and other countries in Africa) are the only bad things going on there. But this thread is about the gay issue, isn't it? The last post seemed a coy way of deflecting from that.

Edited by Jingthing

Nobody said that severe anti-gay laws in Nigeria (and other countries in Africa) are the only bad things going on there. But this thread is about the gay issue, isn't it? The last post seemed a coy way of deflecting from that.

Not really deflection. I think that this issue about gay rights could help highlight other issues which also need attention. The world should see the post-colonial regimes for what they are... and this anti-gay law raises general awareness of that fact.

Even with allowing same sex marriages.. it appears it's not without problems..This is an article I read a short while back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13908662

totster :D