Thailand To Issue Passport For Ex-PM Thaksin Soon: FM

webfact

I am really surprised that people are, surprised, about this news.

The cards were on the table ever since his family came back to the table.

Do I care and would it make much different to my life?/?

Corruption is here to stay, old square heads return will not change anything for the better ( the other way is expected).

Everyone and their dog in Thailand are after a back hander.

Sad but true.

Edited by soihok

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether Taksin is eligible for a passport or not is irrelevant.

As has already been noted in this forum, Thai passports are only issued in person in Thailand

Let him return and apply let any other Thai citizen and while he is at here go to the courts and plead his innocence for the crimes which he has already been convicted.

No that is wrong...Every embassy is doing it.

Would your government give you a passport if you had an outstanding prison sentence?

They might give him an award though. "And the Oscar for outstanding prison sentence goes to..."

Seriously though, no real government would ever be in this situation. A criminal on the lam is offered a passport? It's a ridiculous concept. It'd be like if the UK government had told Ronnie Biggs to pop along to the embassy in Brazil to pick up his passport. Oh and while you're there, have a cuppa with the ambassador. As it stands, Thaksin is a convicted fugitive. Whether you agree with the ruling or not is immaterial to this topic, it was made by a court of law. Should the present government go ahead and pardon him / give him an amnesty, then his situation would be changed and they would then be in a legal position to reinstate his passport, but until such a move is made they have no right to do so without being liable to be charged with aiding a felon on the run.

As has already been noted in this forum, Thai passports are only issued in person in Thailand

Let him return and apply let any other Thai citizen and while he is at here go to the courts and plead his innocence for the crimes which he has already been convicted.

I can confirm, from personal experience with several family-members, that one can also apply-for & obtain a Thai passport from your local Thai-Embassy overseas, so it isn't necessary to be here in person. :jap:

Right, but that is by definition; 'Stepping onto Thai Soil in person'.

In a properly run world, he could then be:

Arrested by Embassy Security.

Transported in Diplomatic Vehicles to a Diplomatic Bonded Plane.

Whisked to Thailand proper in a matter of hours.

In a properly run world...

That may well explain the other national passports he accumulated.

He hasn't set foot in a Thailand Embassy since Hong Kong many years ago. Was that filing the divorce papers, and splitting quick fast?

Edited by animatic

It's a ridiculous concept. It'd be like if the UK government had told Ronnie Biggs to pop along to the embassy in Brazil to pick up his passport. Oh and while you're there, have a cuppa with the ambassador.

Yeah, it's just like that.Or at least it would be if the charges against Biggs were primarily politically motivated and a party representing his supporters had just won a very comfortable election victory in the UK.

Of course Thaksin has to deal with the charges against him but save the bar talk for its appropriate place and give forum members some allowance for intelligence.

It's a ridiculous concept. It'd be like if the UK government had told Ronnie Biggs to pop along to the embassy in Brazil to pick up his passport. Oh and while you're there, have a cuppa with the ambassador.

Yeah, it's just like that.Or at least it would be if the charges against Biggs were primarily politically motivated and a party representing his supporters had just won a very comfortable election victory in the UK.

Of course Thaksin has to deal with the charges against him but save the bar talk for its appropriate place and give forum members some allowance for intelligence.

But Thaksin hasn't dealt with the charges against him. He ran away and has done everything in his mighty financial power to have his conviction overturned and the other charges dropped. What is it with the phrase 'politically motivated' to suggest the charges are not real? - his crimes were politically motivated, abusing his position for personal benefit.

His party winning the election is irrelevant to his own personal legal predicament.

As I said, the motivation is immaterial, he was convicted by a court of law in Thailand and the government must live with that. They can pardon/amnesty him, but until they do so they are obliged to respect the court decision. Indeed, the mere fact they are trying to counter the court's sentence by legal methods (royal pardon attempt, talk of an amnesty bill etc), rather than just say "hang it all, he was convicted on a politically motivated charge, we say he's not guilty, come back, all is forgiven" leads to the conclusion that they would agree to having to live with it, at least for the time being.

I apologise, I had no idea Ronnie Biggs was a major discussion topic in the bars you frequent. I suppose the similarity between his escape from custody in the UK and your escape from a Cambridge laboratory make it a particularly sore point. Your advice is also well taken. If I see any signs of intelligence in the forum I'll be sure to give some allowance for it in future.

As I said, the motivation is immaterial, he was convicted by a court of law in Thailand and the government must live with that.

Well actually I'm afraid that's not true.The political motivation in the attempt to convict Thaksin is very material indeed, and in most courts - if proven - would get him off the hook.

As to Siripon's related point, I agree the charges can be both legitimate and politically motivated.The two are not mutually exclusive.The significance is that if political motivation can be proved it would make it very difficult to convict in most countries (but who knows in Thailand).

I agree the election result is not relevant to the court proceedings.It simply provides context and (yawn) demolishes the feeble Ronnie Biggs bar talk.

No they don't.They will RENEW your passport,but in case you don't have a passport they will issue a travel document.

As I said, the motivation is immaterial, he was convicted by a court of law in Thailand and the government must live with that.

Well actually I'm afraid that's not true.The political motivation in the attempt to convict Thaksin is very material indeed, and in most courts - if proven - would get him off the hook.

It would be material if he were to stand up in any court, plead his case and get off the hook. Until that happens, or his conviction is overturned by any other means, he is a convicted fugitive.

How his conviction can be political motivated as his own political party,and even his brother in law as PM, was in power at the time of the conviction

Of course Thaksin has to deal with the charges against him but save the bar talk for its appropriate place and give forum member some allowance for intelligence.

Claiming the charges are politically motivated is just plain stupid. If you want to pretend that he's pure as the driven snow please don't ask anyone to credit you with intelligence.

As to Siripon's related point, I agree the charges can be both legitimate and politically motivated.The two are not mutually exclusive.The significance is that if political motivation can be proved it would make it very difficult to convict in most countries (but who knows in Thailand).

I agree the election result is not relevant to the court proceedings.It simply provides context and (yawn) demolishes the feeble Ronnie Biggs bar talk.

The charge against k. Thaksin for which he was convicted / sentenced was political in the sense that no-one would dare to raise the issue when he was still in charge. Similar to the teary-eyed, honest mistake case in 2001, just elected, how can we find him guilty (and of course no relation to our addresses, phone numbers and other private details made public by TRT voters). To suggest that a case which is both legitimate AND political is difficult to defend is just acknowledging double standards. One has to start somewhere and sometime, to tackle crimes even if some don't like it. The 'land case' would see many a PM in Western Europe step down and/or prosecuted, a matter of 'simply not done by a PM'.

As for Ronny Briggs, no idea, can hardly be relevant indeed. Maybe time to check wiki again ;)

Edited by rubl

He's only getting a normal passport? He'll be a bit miffed he isn't getting his full diplomatic passport returned but I'm sure that will also happen given time.

His supporters must be counting down the days until their Imperious Leader makes his triumphant return.

I wonder if he will kiss Thai soil as he did when returning before?

He's only getting a normal passport? He'll be a bit miffed he isn't getting his full diplomatic passport returned but I'm sure that will also happen given time.

His supporters must be counting down the days until their Imperious Leader makes his triumphant return.

I wonder if he will kiss Thai soil as he did when returning before?

Did he? I can only find that he normally doesn't :ermm:

"As for Thaksin he always arrives with a fanfare and does everything but kiss the tarmac."

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story-other.php?sid=39

No they don't.They will RENEW your passport,but in case you don't have a passport they will issue a travel document.

Per definition an embassy can do EVERYTHING that the country can do inside (but mostly they don't want to). Very common are also passports with shorter valid time or passports valid just for 2 countries. And in Mr. T case it is not issuing a new passport, it is only giving it back

Claiming the charges are politically motivated is just plain stupid. If you want to pretend that he's pure as the driven snow please don't ask anyone to credit you with intelligence.

I will reply to only one of the latest set of responses (though this one is the most absurd) because they all really make just the same point, namely to deny the charges were politically motivated.But we actually know from Wikileaks and other sources that key figures (I choose the words carefully) were determined to "get" Thaksin.I have already made it clear that the charges and convictions may well be legitimate but that, as even the slowest minds should be able to grasp, is a different matter.In the scheme of Thai politicians' wrongdoings they are however relatively trivial.

I will respond further if there are intelligent challenges.

I can confirm, from personal experience with several family-members, that one can also apply-for & obtain a Thai passport from your local Thai-Embassy overseas, so it isn't necessary to be here in person. :jap:

Right, but that is by definition; 'Stepping onto Thai Soil in person'.

In a properly run world, he could then be:

Arrested by Embassy Security.

Transported in Diplomatic Vehicles to a Diplomatic Bonded Plane.

Whisked to Thailand proper in a matter of hours.

In a properly run world...

That may well explain the other national passports he accumulated.

He hasn't set foot in a Thailand Embassy since Hong Kong many years ago. Was that filing the divorce papers, and splitting quick fast?

Usual is a passport valid 3 month. Valid only for 2 countries only. Just to go back.

Per definition an embassy can do EVERYTHING that the country can do inside (but mostly they don't want to). Very common are also passports with shorter valid time or passports valid just for 2 countries. And in Mr. T case it is not issuing a new passport, it is only giving it back

I wonder when it was due to expire?

Wondering here. As in 2008 k. Thaksin was out on bail his passports were (most likely) confiscated. Requesting and being granted permission to go and watch the Olympic Games, either his normal, his diplomatic or both passports would have been returned. After jumping bail (i.e. not returning) first his diplomatic and a bit later his normal passport were 'invalidated'. Assuming k. Thaksin still has them and they're not expired (in normal sense), they would look like normal Thai passports. If the Foreign Minister wants to issue a passport as a 'happy New Year' present it would therefor be a brand new passport (with up-to-date mugshot).

Anyway, why give a convicted criminal who is on the run a passport ? The said person can report to any police station worldwide and ask for transportation to his home country. Maybe the police may first seek contact with relatives to make sure someone pays for the one-way ticket :rolleyes:

Edited by rubl

Not true. This might be the case for your country - whatever it might be - but not for all.

The charge against k. Thaksin for which he was convicted / sentenced was political in the sense that no-one would dare to raise the issue when he was still in charge. Similar to the teary-eyed, honest mistake case in 2001, just elected, how can we find him guilty (and of course no relation to our addresses, phone numbers and other private details made public by TRT voters).

2001 wasn't the last time they did that. In 2010 Voice of Thaksin published the home addresses and telephone numbers of the judges that were ruling on his 76 billion baht the week before the verdict, directly after an article about political assassinations. No attempt to influence the judiciary there :whistling:

I will reply to only one of the latest set of responses (though this one is the most absurd) because they all really make just the same point, namely to deny the charges were politically motivated.But we actually know from Wikileaks and other sources that key figures (I choose the words carefully) were determined to "get" Thaksin.I have already made it clear that the charges and convictions may well be legitimate but that, as even the slowest minds should be able to grasp, is a different matter.In the scheme of Thai politicians' wrongdoings they are however relatively trivial.

I will respond further if there are intelligent challenges.

If everything we read from the Wikileaks were admissable in a Thai court, Thaksin would never see the light of day again once incarcerated.

The currently elected govt received over 53% of the vote. PTP 48%.

That may be the case, but the people that voted for PTP's coalition partners did not vote for PTP's policies.

Seems you have very little knowledge of Thai politics. Everyone that voted for Chart Thai Pattana and Puea Pandin knew that:

1. These small parties have no chance of winning themselves.

2. These small parties are pro-Puea Thai.

Everyone in Thailand knows that there's either Puea Thai or the Democrats that are able to form a government. Please don't hint that Thai people are stupid. They're not.

If they are voting for PTP's policies (as you imply with your reply), why then in the constituency races, did the Chat Thai Pattana or Puea Pandin candidate defeat the PTP candidate?

Some 15 minutes ago I switched channel away from Voice TV after spending a long while watching a 'panel' talk about how unfair it was to Thaksin that he was not able to return to be at his daughters wedding.

(Voice TV is a propaganda 'news' channel run by Thaksin's son.)

The wedding's not for 9 days... there's still time. Flights arriving daily.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

No... it must be very undemocratic to cancel the passports of convicted felons.

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

To my knowledge, revoking someone's passport doesn't equate to revoking their citizenship. The sole reason they cancel passports for felons is to prevent them from leaving the country. Its very tough to prevent someone's departure if they still have their passport.

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

No, it is not illegal. After I met my Thai wife working in a 'Garment sewing SWEAT-SHOP' in Los Angeles, We married and once her paperwork was done we immigrated her Thai son to the US (at 12 years old) and he ultimately got US Citizenship and Passport. He also legally kept his Thai Passport. While he was in High School here he met his present wife who is Thai-born, but later immigrated to New Zealand (she is a 'Thai'/'Kiwi"). She was only visiting the US to holiday with a friend who went to that same High School. After meeting at the school they kept in touch and about 2 years later she came back to the US again, spent a month with him and the got married here locally. Now I thought I would be helping her immigrate here but as it turned out she talked him into moving to New Zealand. He has immigrated, once again to New Zealand, is raising a family there and now has three (3) passports, all legally. When he goes to Thailand he normally enters with his Thai passport, likewise to the US with the US passport, and so on.

I also used to believe that you could only have one citizenship.

Another possibly interesting fact is that Thailand still required that he register for and serve in the Thai Army, even though he left Thailand at age 12 and became a US citizen at age 16. ****It cost a 'bundle' of money to 'fix' that.****

Some farangs here are apparently unaware of the following 2 facts:

1. Thaksin is born in Thailand, so he's entitled to a Thai passport, just like every other Thai citizen.

2. Puea Thai is the government, not the Democrats. They can issue a passport to whoever they want.

Would your government give you a passport if you had an outstanding prison sentence?

NO. :ermm:

Lesson number one.

Don't argue with an idiot.