Thailand To Issue Passport For Ex-PM Thaksin Soon: FM

webfact

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Thais had the chance to endorse the Dems at election time - endorse the bkk crackdown and endorse the policies. They did not and PT won the election (against the wise judgement and predictions on TV experts). That does give them a certain mandate as Thais knew that would include Khun T's rehabilitation.

PT could have won a 95% majority, it still wouldn't give them the right to interfere with legal matters, which surely, the confiscating of the passport of a convict who has fled the country, comes under.

How anybody can argue here that it is right and proper for convicted criminals to be issued with passports, or for passports in such cases not to be revoked, beggars belief. If they are going to make such an illogical and stupid argument, at least be consistent and demand that all fugitives also be returned their passports. That's an argument i don't hear being made. The argument rather seems to be being made just for Thaksin.

Please, all you red shirt, Thaksin lovers out there, don't ever let me hear again you claim to be fighting against double standards.

Best post on this subject !!! 100% agreed.:clap2:

Was it all his Thai passports or just his diplomatic one they pulled ?.....

Thaksin's ordinary passport was revoked on April 12, 2009.

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

His diplomatic passport was revoked in December 2008.

http://news.xinhuane...c_131050805.htm

The above link also contains the interesting comments from the same Foreign Minister Surapong who, purely coincidentally, is Thaksin's cousin...

BANGKOK, Aug. 15, 2011 (Xinhua) -- Thai new foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul reaffirmed on Monday that there has been no preparation to hand back the ousted ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra his diplomatic passport.

"Pheu Thai Party has no such a policy and the most important issue the party has focused on is trade," he added.

"So I will use my authority to do whatever is not illegal under the regulations of the ministry to give the passport to ex-premier Thaksin," he said.

Whatever's illegal will be legal from now on.............jap.gif

Some farangs here are apparently unaware of the following 2 facts:

1. Thaksin is born in Thailand, so he's entitled to a Thai passport, just like every other Thai citizen.

2. Puea Thai is the government, not the Democrats. They can issue a passport to whoever they want.

And that makes it morally ok to do so?

He could at least have got citizenship from a respectable country. Montenegro - the playground of bent UK politicians and dodgy Russian oligarchs and a provider of passports for anyone with the `where- with- all` to pay.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

No... it must be very undemocratic to cancel the passports of convicted felons.

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

My meter just went off the scale.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

I think this is about revoking a passport. I don't think Thaksin has been deprived of his nationality. He has chosen to hold a passport from another country to allow himself to travel freely whilst evading the consequences of his actions and resulting conviction for a crime committed in his country of origin.

Pretty simple.

You wouldn't seriously give passports to convicted felons, would you? Maybe I've misunderstood.

I think one of the wonderful things about democracies is that we have these kinds of laws.

We as citizens of our country of birth have nothing owed to us, rather to take advantage of opportunities presented to us. If, as we grow older we are not happy/agree with said country, we have other choices. If we choose to live in and peruse a career in our country of birth, we are bound by the law, social mores, and culture of said country. Some call this birthright a privilege, others call it hell, thus their decision to remain, immigrate, seek asylum, rebel against the government, etc.

In the animal world, this process is commonly known as evolution, but the human species has managed to corrupt this natural law through self serving interruption, selfishness, etc, instead of following the concept of living/working for the betterment/existence of of the whole.

I wonder if Thaksin could make the Guiness Book of Records for the largest number of different passports held? Or failing that maybe Ripley's Believe It Or Not? I think the Kingdom's government should put in a claim. Great PR for TAT.

Edited by bigbamboo

He could at least have got citizenship from a respectable country. Montenegro - the playground of bent UK politicians and dodgy Russian oligarchs and a provider of passports for anyone with the `where- with- all` to pay.

Still much rather have a Montenegrin passport than a Thai one. Far more useful.

Just to put the importance of Thaksin's New Year's gift into perspective:

Thailand Live Sunday #34:

Industry Minister confident 7 flood-hit industrial estates can resume operations by March/April/MCOT

It must be nice to be rich and not having to worry about home, food, money for the coming few months. On top of that even a shiny new passport, lucky Thaksin <_<

... Are you suggesting that they did that even though they had no evidence?

believe me or not

in the seizure case the court's president stopped the prosecutor at least 3 times (if i good recall) and told him to skip his blablabla... he made him jump all the speech upon the evidences...

aahhhh ... so there was evidence.

rumors say there were evidences, but as weren't shown to commoner...

headline,,, "Thai king birthday pardon excludes Thaksin"

"An annual royal pardon granted to thousands of convicts to mark the revered Thai king's birthday this week will not include ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, the prisons chief said Sunday."

headline,,, "Thai king birthday pardon excludes Thaksin"

"An annual royal pardon granted to thousands of convicts to mark the revered Thai king's birthday this week will not include ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, the prisons chief said Sunday."

Yep ... There's a whole thread on it.

Just to put the importance of Thaksin's New Year's gift into perspective:

Thailand Live Sunday #34:

Industry Minister confident 7 flood-hit industrial estates can resume operations by March/April/MCOT

It must be nice to be rich and not having to worry about home, food, money for the coming few months. On top of that even a shiny new passport, lucky Thaksin <_<

Give him a break, he's still got a few more months to make every Thai rich.

He didn't have a passport when he made that claim .... is he going to use it as an excuse when it doesn't happen.

Give him his passport, pardon him, absolve him of all sins past present and future, now, right now, and then ask the general populace why they aren't feasting on roast swan.

I would love to hear those excuses.

Some farangs here are apparently unaware of the following 2 facts:

1. Thaksin is born in Thailand, so he's entitled to a Thai passport, just like every other Thai citizen.

2. Puea Thai is the government, not the Democrats. They can issue a passport to whoever they want.

Your right, the PTP govt can be as corrupt as any other.

He's only getting a normal passport? He'll be a bit miffed he isn't getting his full diplomatic passport returned but I'm sure that will also happen given time.

His supporters must be counting down the days until their Imperious Leader makes his triumphant return.

I wonder if he will kiss Thai soil as he did when returning before?

Well if it does come to pass that Thaksin is given pardon from serving a prison sentence and he is reinstated in the government, it will be a sad day for Thailands world opinion. It would reinforce that the govt is just as corrupt as many other southeast asian govts.

Well if it does come to pass that Thaksin is given pardon from serving a prison sentence and he is reinstated in the government, it will be a sad day for Thailands world opinion. It would reinforce that the govt is just as corrupt as many other southeast asian govts.

Most elected governments will see his charges as politically motivated after a military coup, so I doubt there will much change in World opinion.

someone on this forum who actually has a brain

amazing

Two people who seemingly share 1 brain cell more like it!!!!:jap:.

Took the words right outa my mouth Steve.

If these 2 guys had their way all convicted drug dealers, pedos, murderers, terrorists etc etc would be free to travel as they please and interpol would be more than happy to pick them up and drop them off home. Wake up, you do the crime you do the time.

Thaksin is born in Thailand, so he's entitled to a Thai passport, just like every other Thai citizen.

A passport is a privileged, not a right.

It is given for you to carry on the behest of the government and can be recalled at any time for a wide range of reasons - reasons that is depending on a country by country basis but most recall them for criminals fleeing their sentencing etc.

They can't remove citizenship except for those naturalized in most countries.

Having a PASSPORT on the other hand is a privilege extended to qualified citizens and not a blanket right. One of those QUALIFICATIONS is not being convicted and absconded.

In most all countries fellons can and daily do have their passports confiscated to prevent escaping justice. In some cases they are never returned

Edited by animatic

Having a PASSPORT on the other hand is a privilege extended to qualified citizens and not a blanket right. One of those QUALIFICATIONS is not being convicted and absconded.

In most all countries fellons can and daily do have their passports confiscated to prevent escaping justice. In some cases they are never returned

What countries do not issue passports to felons after their sentences are fully served and after a term of license or parole is completed? I'd be interested to know as I would consider that discrimination and could easily be challenged in a court of law given the onus would be on the defence to prove a risk if the felon is considered to be rehabilitated.

But again, back to Thailand, other countries, with functioning justice systems do not have military coups to remove elected leaders, nor do they give those deposed leaders 'special permission' to leave the country when they are facing criminal charges, knowing fine well they will not return of their own volition.

What countries do not issue passports to felons after their sentences are fully served and after a term of license or parole is completed? I'd be interested to know as I would consider that discrimination and could easily be challenged in a court of law given the onus would be on the defence to prove a risk if the felon is considered to be rehabilitated.

But again, back to Thailand, other countries, with functioning justice systems do not have military coups to remove elected leaders, nor do they give those deposed leaders 'special permission' to leave the country when they are facing criminal charges, knowing fine well they will not return of their own volition.

When it's his proxy government, of course he can get permission to leave.

Please try and read everything before posting.

If you had, paragraph one wouldn't have been written.

In this case of course your criteria haven't been met anyway.

As to how Thailand modulates it's corruption,

that real is another subject.

The point about justice system is why Thaksin has no passport. In this case it functioned and he doesn't like not being able to get around it this time.

Edited by animatic

The military pretty much controlled the courts at that time though, even if Samak was PM.

The same courts, if you remember, that had just jailed his wife for three years for tax fraud then gave them permission to leave the country, and then said they had broken the terms of their bail.

Has Pojaman ever been punished for breaking those bail terms?

A complete and utter farce as per.

Edited by Oberkommando

I doubt Paul Gadd will be getting a passport any time soon.

The military pretty much controlled the courts at that time though, even if Samak was PM.

The same courts, if you remember, that had just jailed his wife for three years for tax fraud then gave them permission to leave the country, and then said they had broken the terms of their bail.

Has Pojaman ever been punished for breaking those bail terms?

A complete and utter farce as per.

First of all, that the military somehow controlled the courts is an outright lie.

Secondly, if that was the case then presumably they are more kind than any PT MP against their 'opponent' as they allowed Thaksin to go to China, as he asked for, with the condition that he came back on the date he said he would. Thaksin choose not to. That was not someone else' doing.