Thailand To Issue Passport For Ex-PM Thaksin Soon: FM

webfact

His sister Yingluck is now premier
Foreign Minister Surapong ... is Thaksin's cousin

Nepotism is alive and doing well in Thailand.....

Nepotism is only a bad thing for people who don't have success in their genes.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even more grist for the mill. Oh well.

The government has their priorities sorted.

Maybe the cou de ta (sp) in hindsight was a mistake as well.

Taksin was in NY ( not sure ) when the Coo de taa happened.

Why didn't they wait until he returned ?

I doubt there will ever be such a seen in the future.

In America we have a rich passtime about making fun of our leaders. Get a grip :-)

note: I don't believe Taksin set about to kill Meth addicks - like a really bad guy or something.

Maybe things can change as we go forward. Health education and free speech - might be helpful.

From the UK Border Agency:-

British nationality is defined in law. Whether a person has a claim to British nationality can be determined by applying the definitions and requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and related legislation to the facts of their date and place of birth and descent.

The most acceptable evidence of British citizenship is a British passport.

Khun Mark is a British citizen as well as a Thai citizen.

Is he a British citizen or entitled to British citizenship ?...not the same thing...he may have the right, but not invoked the right

As far as I am aware if you are born in Britain you are automatically a British Citizen, whether you want to be or not. You can renounce it but you have to go to court. Khun Mark took a lot of time remembering whether he was or not. A fuller discussion took place on the Asian Correspondent website. Have a google

His parents I believe were Thai diplomats and unlike the US, just because you were born in Britian, doesn't automatically make you British

Yes i know, and i think that you can not call a country in which government make laws(with no participation of the common citizen) a real democracy, governments should propose law- projects to the people and the people should approve it or not, that's democracy:)

Are you saying that a country should hold a referendum on EVERY single proposed law? lol :cheesy:

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

If that is the case Khun Mark better decide whether he wants to stay in Thailand or otherwise the only army covering his ass back this time would be the Toon Army.

I believe he doesnt have a British passport although he could be entitled to one.

Makes no difference to phiphidon he never misses a beat to try and build up the red shirts and belittle the opposition.

I liked the item in Thaksin's rebuttal to the sentencing on corruption.

" avoid prison on a conviction for corruption that he contends is politically motivated."

Notice he does not deny his guilt.:jap:

This Government does seem determined to cause unrest in the country....!!

Still, the "Thai people" got the leadership they wanted.....

Be careful what you wish for..!!

48% of "Thai people" got the government they wanted.

The 'leadership' they wanted is still in Dubai.

of which one of them??? the passport that use the most in the last page only says that it is valid for 6 years and etc, nothing about revoke it.

I doubt any passport has the word revoke on it, but it should have the words property of.

And it usually isn't you.

Just to clarify one point: To take away someone's passport does not mean his nationality is taken away.

Absolutly true!

Its in germany just the same, if the govt search you and you out of the country, first thing they do is cancel your passport.

Nothing unusual on this.

The whole thing is just propaganda.

Edited by nullx8

Ex-PM Thaksin promised passport as New Year's gift: Foreign Minister

image_20111202114307FD153F42-0E3C-CAEC-9954CB86471FFD93.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 2 - Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Friday said he is preparing to return an ordinary passport to Thailand’s fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra soon as a ‘new year's gift’ for him, insisting that the move complied with ministerial regulations.

Mr Surapong said issuing a passport for Mr Thaksin is within his authority as foreign minister. The action will be based on the same regulations which his predecessor Kasit Piromya applied when he revoked Mr Thaksin's ordinary passport.

The foreign minister emphasised that his move will not violate any law but he has not yet informed Mr Thaksin about the matter.

When asked whether Mr Thaksin is eligible to receive a passport as he is a fugitive, the foreign minister cited the case of another high profile fugitive, former politician Somchai Kunpluem, better known as Kamnan Poh, who was not stripped of his passport.

Kamnan Poh was sentenced to five years in jail for corruption regarding the purchase of land for the Pattaya city garbage-disposal project. He remains at large.

Mr Surapong said he believed there would not be a rally against the move as the process complies with ministerial regulations.

Regarding possible cabinet reshuffle, Mr Surapong said he would not regret if he has to leave the post as he has so far performed his given assignments to the best of his ability in particular regarding improved relations between Thailand and Cambodia as well as the premier's recent visit to Myanmar which resulted in a bilateral agreement on road construction.

The deposed premier's ordinary passport was revoked in mid-April 2009 by the foreign ministry under the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration following political turmoil and street clashes between the Red Shirt supporters of the pro-Thaksin United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) and the government security forces.

Mr Thaksin, at that time, was accused of using Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, as his base to allegedly encourage unrest by his supporters.

Ousted in a bloodless coup in Sept 2006, Mr Thaksin was convicted and given a two-year jail term after being found guilty of violating Thailand’s conflict of interest laws in helping his then-wife secure a parcel of state land in a prime commercial area of Bangkok. He now lives in self exile and spends most of his time in Dubai.

The former premier reportedly holds and uses a diplomatic passport issued by the Nicaraguan government. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-02

From the UK Border Agency:-

British nationality is defined in law. Whether a person has a claim to British nationality can be determined by applying the definitions and requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and related legislation to the facts of their date and place of birth and descent.

The most acceptable evidence of British citizenship is a British passport.

But only if item (3) Nationality/Nationalité says BRITISH CITIZEN...It could say:

The forms of nationality are:

So in Britain CITIZENSHIP and NATIONALITY are not necessarily the same.

From the article above, surely if he did return, would he not automatically be arrested, having fled the country previously and serve the outstanding jail term of 2 years then be tried further on the outstanding criminal cases against him?

I understand TITs ... but surely this could not be allowed?

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

Why are we discussing this? It is up to the Thais what the want. This forum has been 95% dead wrong and so far out of tough what the Thais want.

"U.S. GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. This passport is the property of the United States (Title 23, Code of Federal Regulations, Sectiion 51.9) It must be surrendered upon demand made by an authorized representative of the United States Government. "

page 5 - U.S. Passport

When asked whether Mr Thaksin is eligible to receive a passport as he is a fugitive, the foreign minister cited the case of another high profile fugitive, former politician Somchai Kunpluem, better known as Kamnan Poh, who was not stripped of his passport.

And this guy is Thai foreign minister? Sub-100 IQ?

laugh.gif

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

Why are we discussing this? It is up to the Thais what the want. This forum has been 95% dead wrong and so far out of tough what the Thais want.

Yes indeed, you r so dam_n right!!!

Quite right.

Close down Thai Visa, no point in discussing anything that might be of interest to those with a Thailand connection.

So Thaksin can get a passport because Kamnan Poh still has his...why not Kamna Poh should have his cancelled because Thaksin's was

Don't you just love Thai logic......

And this move is going to help the reconciliation movement HOWW??????.

Reconciliation was never on the Phua Thai party's agenda. They just used this word to pacify the red thug mob to get support. And these idiots fell for it. Same for democracy, never on their agenda. Remember when Thaksin said "democracy is not my goal"? Remember the PTP election slogan "Thaksin thinks Phua Thai does"? They are champions of liars and fake democracy, red democracy consisting of among other things pulling people out of cars and beating them to a pulp because they support the opposition. Setting up road blocks, stopping and searching cars, burning down city halls, you get my point.

Yes indeed, you r so dam_n right!!!

And exactly how many posts have you made on this topic so far....about a dozen I'd reckon..most of it unsubstantiated

It is normal for authorities in any country to take a citizen's passport to prevent them from travelling if they are deemed a 'flight risk', to avoid a police or taxation investigation, court proceedings, a prison term etcetera. Cancelling a passport does not remove a person's citizenship, it merely prevents him/her from travelling under the authority of the citizen 's government. This practice is common to all major western democracies.

However, most western democracies would seek to extradite a convicted criminal. The fugitive in this case, whether his conviction was or was not politically motivated remains a criminal according to the courts of his homeland. But, not just a criminal.....a criminal without the guts to face justice. And, we are led to believe he is the defacto Prime Minister......All people get the government they deserve!

Mr Surapong said he believed there would not be a rally against the move....

Really? I want some of what he's smoking.

Under the "Rule of Law" the former PM, if issued a Thai Passport, should be arrested on sight should he return to Thailand as he is a fugitive from justice. However, This IS Thailand and we all know that money talks and shit walks.

And this move is going to help the reconciliation movement HOWW??????.

Reconciliation was never on the Phua Thai party's agenda. They just used this word to pacify the red thug mob to get support. And these idiots fell for it. Same for democracy, never on their agenda. Remember when Thaksin said "democracy is not my goal"? Remember the PTP election slogan "Thaksin thinks Phua Thai does"? They are champions of liars and fake democracy, red democracy consisting of among other things pulling people out of cars and beating them to a pulp because they support the opposition. Setting up road blocks, stopping and searching cars, burning down city halls, you get my point.

Not limited to the red camp though, all sides are exactly the same.

Yellow democracy showed the way forward and brought the military out of their barracks. And don't start with "the reds were worse" nonsense, it's all semantics.

It is normal for authorities in any country to take a citizen's passport to prevent them from travelling if they are deemed a 'flight risk', to avoid a police or taxation investigation, court proceedings, a prison term etcetera. Cancelling a passport does not remove a person's citizenship, it merely prevents him/her from travelling under the authority of the citizen 's government. This practice is common to all major western democracies.

However, most western democracies would seek to extradite a convicted criminal. The fugitive in this case, whether his conviction was or was not politically motivated remains a criminal according to the courts of his homeland. But, not just a criminal.....a criminal without the guts to face justice. And, we are led to believe he is the defacto Prime Minister......All people get the government they deserve!

+1

Is that the correct way to vote on a post? Sorry I've not done that before......anyway Dave9000 well said...