The Right Conduct Sutta

sara1

I have an assignment to complete and one part is looking at the 'Kimsila Sutta' Right Conduct Sutta. I have to analysis it in regards to 'authority' i.e. how the language and forms of the text convey authority and how this is achieved. Also, How the text might fit within or challenge traditions that carry some kind of authority.

My problem is with what translation can this be achieved. I can not read Pali and I am not sure if it can be translated directly into English. Furthermore, the translations that I have viewed. eg John Ireland, Saddhatissa and Bhikkhu all vary to some degree and if I am to look at the text itself I do I get a true account of the sutta. Another point that crossed my mind was, in translation the translator themselves had translated the text in their own time frame and ideological viewpoint and I wonder if this can influence the wording when put into English.

The authority in regards to how it fits into tradition is not a problem, but can anyone help with how it may challenge traditions within the modern age. In Thailand and other Buddhist countries. Also, can anyone, how understands Pali highlight for me any words or part of text that may have lost or changed meaning in translation to English.

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance. A simple essay has opened up a can of worms for me and an interest into Buddhist text from the point of view of transference to English and a western audience. It is hard for me to understand how the meaning of such a text can maintain its meaning when put into a very different cultural context and in doing so does it lose its authority.

You may benefit from taking a look at Richard Gombrich's What the Buddha Thought (Equinox 2009).

The book has several references to the issue of translation and these are easily found through the Index.

Gombrich has a fair amount of respect for the translations available in English. He believes they are quite reliable. most differences being rather trivial. It's also worth noting that, from early times, Buddhists, unlike Brahmans and Hindus, were quite happy for their texts to be translated, so it is easy to cross-refer from one translation to another, revealing a surprising consistency.

If I've read Gombrich right it would seem translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi and the others you mentioned are OK to use.

Some audio recordings of talks by John Peacock that take up translation issues are available on the web at http://secularbuddhistassociation.com/2011/11/05/buddhism-before-the-theravada-audio-john-peacock-comments/ I haven't listened to them yet, but there has been some discussion of them on this forum.