Scooter Hire In Bkk..

Sir_Sanuk

I'm thinking of buying a 50cc scooter to help me get around Bangkok, but I'm not sure if it will be tantamount to commiting suicide so i'd like to hire one for a bit first and see how it goes.

Does anyone know of a motorbike hire shop in Bangkok (preferably Sukhumvit area)?

Also does anyone here have any experience of driving a bike around bangkok? How dangerous is it really? What are your top tips for surviving? I have visions of being too shit-scared to turn right against oncoming traffic..

What about parking? Is it ok to leave a scooter parked without a chainlock of some sort?

cheers for any info

I'm thinking of buying a 50cc scooter to help me get around Bangkok, but I'm not sure if it will be tantamount to commiting suicide so i'd like to hire one for a bit first and see how it goes.

Does anyone know of a motorbike hire shop in Bangkok (preferably Sukhumvit area)?

Also does anyone here have any experience of driving a bike around bangkok? How dangerous is it really? What are your top tips for surviving? I have visions of being too shit-scared to turn right against oncoming traffic..

What about parking? Is it ok to leave a scooter parked without a chainlock of some sort?

cheers for any info

I am sure you are after a serious answer but :o there are only two types of motorcycle riders:

1. Those that have come off &

2. Those that are about to.

Read the official statistics especially with New Year just around the corner.

I am a M/C rider in Thailand (Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Petchaburi, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani etc). You need to have your wits about you at all times - 50cc not for me I am afraid I traded up from 175 to 800 so as to have something available when you need it.

Wear a helmet, ride for yourself and all others on the road, footpaths etc - bikes especially the common variety are removed constantly be aware of security.

As for turning right, left or straight ahead if you are timid it would be quicker to walk or take a bus - not joking, dont forget to smother your helmet with WBS to give you that experienced look.

So what's the rental plan? Rent for a month or two, and if you don't die, then you might buy one.

Seriously though, I do know of many people who ride bikes and survive just fine. But no matter how careful you are, or how capable you are, you are always in danger in Bangkok traffic.

Edited by pal78

yea i know..BTS and MRT are great but i'm getting so frustrated having to use taxis. plus where i live i end up using moto taxis nearly everyday so thought i'd look into driving one myself. But as i do value my life i'm still not 100% sure about it by any means..

For safety, try to use available transport in this order (assuming of course that it's too far to walk):

1. Skytrain/Underground

2. Bus on main routes no serviced by 1.

3. Songtaew for large Sois and roads not well serviced by 1 or 2 (in this case make sure you get a seat, don't hang out the back.

4. Taxies where 1, 2 and 3 are either not available or where the combined cost of using them is going to work out more than just taking a Taxi (in this case sit in the front beside the driver if possible, move the seat back to a comfortable position and wear a seatbelt, usually there is not one available in the back).

5. Motorbike taxi in really small and quiet Sois only! Never on main roads. Even there you might consider walking to save 5 - 10 baht and get some exercise. (If you do take a motorbike make sure they provide you with a helmet. If they don't have one and you still want to use the bike, ask him to give you his or to drive slowly.)

Hi Sir_Sanuk,

>>> Also does anyone here have any experience of driving a bike around bangkok?

Yes it is great fun:) You can do anything you want just have a pocketful of 100 baht notes for when you get stopped so that you can contribute to the MIB's Tea-fund.

>>> How dangerous is it really?

Extremely dangerous in any country to ride a bike and especially in BKK. Car drivers here have a total disregard for bikes.

I have clocked well over 50,000 miles on bikes in Malaysia and Thailand, had two major accidents resulting in a total of 1 broken and 7 fractured ribs.

>>> What are your top tips for surviving?

A mechanic in KL told me to try riding and not using the brakes except in an emergency. This technique takes quite a while to perfect and increases your awareness tremendously, good for petrol consumption as well. Try it when you get you bike and best of luck. I have no regrets in any of the four bikes I have bought, it is the best way to travel except when it is raining.

Reminds me of the car sticker I saw, something like : I drove and survived KL's potholes. Thailand is even worse and beware of the 6 inch protruding chevrons - accident number two!

The condition of the roads is horrible. Nothing worse than suddenly hitting a bottomless pothole. It was a long time before I ventured out at night!

Cheers,

John_Betong

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, hamburger in the other, body used up, worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Edited by John_Betong

Hi Sir_Sanuk,

Great post and the ? below is one for the scrapbook  :D

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, hamburger in the other, body used up, worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Love it :o

In my not so humble opinion you have to have a death wish to ride a scooter/motorcycle in Bangkok. The sky train and the subway are great. Taxis are cheap. A bump on the handle bar and you go down under the wheels of a bus. I didn't come here to die on the road. Think about it long and seriously.