First Double Entry Tourist Visa

Hi ,I'm from the UK , under 40 and will be arriving on a 30-day on arrival stamp to BKK this month.I'm taking a well deserved break for just over one year in S.E.A.

I have been to Thailand 2 times in last 2 years, with a free 30-day on arrival stamp, staying less than 15 days in both instances.

Where I am living just now, I think they only issue single entry visas.So I decided to just arrive on a 30-day then do a visa run to a local country after my 1-month expires.

Will be staying BKK 15 days, then 15 days Chiang Mai.

Is it better to go to Vientiane by mini-bus from Chiang Mai or Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpar AirAsia for a double entry tourist visa ?

Since this is my first ever double-entry tourist visa application, is it likely I will get any hassle in Vientiane or this "red stamp warning" about future visa rejection I see in the visas sticky thread ? I would pay the extra going to KL if it is going to be a hassle in Laos.

I may stay another 6 months after the double entry (1 month+ 6 months + 6 months) before leaving, so I don't want any restrictions by going to Vientiane if KL is smoother.

Do I have to apply for anything in Thailand before exiting ?

If I get the double entry can I stay in Thailand for the 6 months straight or do I have to do another run after 90 days (hope not) to activate the second 90 days !?

I read here New Rules that :-

"Applicants will also be asked for proof of pre-arranged accommodation when in Thailand, including the date/exit, plus hotel reservations and dates of checking in and out."

I'm going to rent an apartment, not living in a hotel so will that be OK, and what is acceptable proof ?

All-in-all it seems a lot tougher vs local countries for the tourista taking a burn-out break !

Edited by freedomnow

You should obtain a visa prior to travel or be ready to explain/buy an onward ticket prior to aircraft departure as it is likely to be checked on long haul flight. As for next visa best to ask closer to time as policies change often at local Consulates.

You should obtain a visa prior to travel or be ready to explain/buy an onward ticket prior to aircraft departure as it is likely to be checked on long haul flight. As for next visa best to ask closer to time as policies change often at local Consulates.

I don't think I have time to apply for a tourist visa outside nor have I booked any hotel outside the country.So I thought visa on arrival was best.

So coming on a single flight is a problem even if I have adequate funds in Thailand ?

Edited by freedomnow

Reason is that if you get refused entry (never happens though) the airline has to fly you back home and gets fined for not checking your papers.

To make sure you can board, you can:

- Run to the nearest Thai Embassy or consulate and see if they have a quick-turnaround Tourist Visa (same day or next day)

- Book a cheap / refundable flight out of Thailand to a neighboring country (Cambodia or Laos or similar) departing within 30 days of arrival.

Good luck.

Edited by Jdietz

Doubt I'd get the express tourist visa "Applicants will also be asked for proof of pre-arranged accommodation when in Thailand, including the date/exit, plus hotel reservations and dates of checking in and out."

I have no pre-booked accom. which is why I wanted to hunt around for an apt. for the main 6 month period while there.

It depends on how long it takes you to enter and how long the visa is valid (for second entry). But for most people it would be very close to 180 days if not the full amount.

Great,so I can just do a visa run out ONCE to get the double entry tourist visa in KL, and then immi. processing in the country and pre-book an exit flight just before the calculated 6 months are up.

Thai rules are quite complex vs neighbouring countries it seems.

if your currently in the uk i would apply for a triple entry visa using there postal service, you can stay approx. easily 180 - 270 days.

only takes a few days through the post.

vientiane is a popular place to also get a tourist visa (double entry) and you can get a flight to udon thani then a bus close to the city,

or KL but i read if your trying to get a double they may want to see a future flight out of thailand.

Chris not in UK I'm afraid.Best I can get here is a single entry visa 60+30 in Korea.Which is why I think it is better to get 30 on arrival then go to Laos for a double entry- 7 months total before deciding to stay on or leave later next year if I get bored.

Is it possible to do my extension on double entry 60 days visas + 30 while in Chiang Mai where I'll be based or do I have to go all the way to Bangkok for each extension (60+30) (60 +30) ?

After arriving back in Thailand with my double entry stamp can I go straight to immigration and extend the 60 day visa or need to wait nearer the time when the first 60 days are up ?

2 trips to BKK for extending a double ? Hope not...

Edited by freedomnow

hello,

if it's convenient for you i would try for a double in korea if not a single is still something ?

if you get a single visa you don't have to use it straight away you could enter thailand and get the free 30 day arrival by air (don't write the visa number on the arrival card) then pop in burma for the day to activate the visa (easy from chiang mai) then you'll have 30 + 60 + 30 days.

from chiang mai vientiane is easy you can either get a night bus (12hrs long) or fly to udon thani then get a transfer to the bridge on the border,

vientiene city hasn't much to offer , you maybe better off touring through laos from the north and finishing in vientiene and getting your visa for thailand ?

with the extensions they don't have to be done on the final day most people do them in the last week and the 30 days gets added onto the 60 days - you'll need 2 photos and can be done at any immigration office in thailand - you could even try extending at the airport when you arrive to save worrying about it in the future.

trying to get 180 days stay out of the visa from vientiene isn't easy unless you know the rules and how to use the visa properly - choosing the date your visa is issued and your first and second entering date to thailand are crucial to get right.

the most important thing to get right is making sure you can get the second (60 +30) activated with in the use by date of the visa - don't assume you can just do this when the 30 day extension runs out .

have a good time.

hi,<br>just read your post again and yes you have to do another run half way through to activate your second of the double entry.<br>this second run has to be with in the enter before date shown on the visa - 3 months from issue not the dates stamped by immigration , you can pop in and out of thailand on the same day or it's ok to have a gap inbetween if you want to spend a few days or weeks in another country.<br><br>if you wait too long the visa will expire and you wont get the second 60 + 30 .<br><br>ideally you should try and be in chiang mai when you need to do a border run and also there's a water festival in april i think ?  - it's only a few hours to mai sai and just 500 baht to enter burma. are you planning to come back to chiang mai from vientiene ?<br><br><br><br><br><br>