The Better Of Two Opinions

I asked the following question on another board:

I am considering spending 6 or 7 months in the USA and the other months in Thailand. Since I live in Minnesota, you can guess what moths will be spent in Thailland. We are going through a re-org at work and I will find out in a day or two if I have a job or not. I am 53 and have been at this company for 35 years so I am almost hoping for a position elimination.

Am I better off applying for the "non-O" visa or just getting a tourist extension as appropriate?

One member of the other board recommended getting the "Non-O" visa and suggested asking on this site. Another member suggested I just do the tourist visa renewal thing.

I wish staying in Thailand for a few months was as easy as it is for a Mexican going from Mexico into the US. Then, be offered blanket amnesty and benefits on top of it. Enough said. It is more complicated than my comment indicates.

It is frustrating knowing that you and I (for the most part) offer much to the Thai economy. Rent, food, drink, travel, health care, clothing, and other elements of living in Thailand are dollars out of our pockets without taking jobs away from Thai residents nor are we a burden on any social progam that may exist in this country.

I suppose I could quit whining and check out other countries, except that I like it in Thailand and I am sure that I will accept the red-tape, fee increases, and other incumberances in order to be welcome in Thailand.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Thanks for any information you can offer.

a. Elite card visa program - one million baht and 1900 every 3 months if a golf lover.

b. Retirement O visa - 800k in bank account here (maybe more later) or proven retirement income (some money likely required in bank).

c. Tourist visa. Should be able to obtain two entry each year to cover (with extensions) the six months you plan to stay. If this is ruled out later you can change to 'b'.

mattnich...........payout could be about $100,00 (14 month salary). In addition I have a few hundred grand in a 401 that I could draw on. Using the rule of 72, of course. If possible, I would defer taking any pension funds until close to 60. Then at 66 the Social Security kicks in. Before then the cost of a R/T ticket from Minnesota to Thailand will probably be about $4,000 for a budget seat. :>)

Lopburi3,

Thanks for the alternatives. I did look at the Elite information when it came out but it was extremely vague regarding any or all the benefits offered. You are the 1st person to mention the 1900 baht every 3 months for the golf. Indeed, the golf was the most interesting aspect of the card. Can you point me to an accurate listing of all the benefits, exactly as they are expected to be dished out? By this I mean what are all the hotels deals, medical benefits, golf courses, travel discounts, etc?

Now, watch. I will not be offered a severance package. I will have to quit on my own. I will find out in about 18 hours.

Thanks, again for all your help. I hope this web site keeps going. Lots of good information shared here.

The 1,900 baht was for a visa extension after 90 days. You can stay in country as long as you like with that visa but you have to extend it every 90 days. The golf should be free so it might make sense for a young retiree. There are several threads here on the card that should answer some of your questions. It seems to be an evolving product.